/mbg/ - Mount & Blade General

(Looted) thread: READ THE PASTEBIN BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

LATEST BANNERLORD INFO/VIDEOS:
E3 Bannerlord siege videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=705at0Pr4fM
youtube.com/watch?v=iObwq1WaxQ8

E3 interview by Techraptor :
youtube.com/watch?v=txjEMt7utvE

Last blog:
taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/16

OLDER BANNERLORD INFO/VIDEOS: See Pastebin

PASTEBIN: pastebin.com/2ZjZZZpc

M&B Wiki: mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Mount_and_Blade_Wiki

NOOB GUIDE: imgur.com/a/FMAqV

M&B VERSION ARCHIVES
>ftp://ftp.taleworlds.com/

user's mods and upstab guide:
pastebin.com/agwZu9Df

>/mbg/ Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/mountandbladevg

Module Recommendations:

>user's ACOCK minimod
mega.nz/#F!JRQ1DRqA!Evh-3Q3uQRbaLzR4LiQ85A
>Gekonewer
mega.nz/#F!itxViDAT!PhBfJWsjATkdqN28V2kZ5g
>Swedish Mayonnaise
forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=211788.0

>"I made a mod recently or updated it. Wat do ?"
Link to the OP in your post so that it might be easier to find for the one making the next OP (also for regular people).

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10782524
youtube.com/watch?v=lNwqiYze7M4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for teaching bitches how to swim

nth for shilling my strawpoll from last thread :^)
- /mbg/ Faction Census:
strawpoll.me/10782524

3rd for procrastination.

how long until oni update

That all depends on how EDF 4.1 turns out.

what is gekonewer? is it an improved version of gekokujo, or does it just add a bunch of weeb waifu shit?

>is it an improved version of gekokujo
>does it just add a bunch of weeb waifu shit?
What's the difference?

nth for fuck weebs

9th for only shitters play on anything below fastest combat speed.

If you hate weebs and enjoy stomping some slanteyed heathens into the ground I'd recommend GekoNewer. That's why I made it.

You can recruit western units and fuck up Japan's shit if you want.

Sadly, it's the later. Instead of improving geko he's adding a bunch of fantasy or waifu shit.

If you tell the guy that, he will tell you to play geko 3.1

Such a shame because a few things he added are actually good.

not liking waifus? wat r u a fag? You can put a skirt on a boy and it becomes a waifu you know. Its the magic of skirts :^)

so I got into mods after my first native playthrough, and after playing quite a few, I decided floris was my favorite
I learned that it is not very popular here soon after
I don't wanna start a fire, but perhaps I've overlooked something and I could be enjoying a different mod more?
there's a lot of quality of life improvements in floris that I appreciate. the character creation screen is quite nice, pooled inventory space with your companions is wonderful, it's got all the requisite diplomacy mod stuff of course
the wide variety of troops opens up a lot of options and keeps things fresh without spoiling the usual faction strengths, and all the added weapons and armor are fun to play around with
the only things that bug me are the long winded unit names, the silly weapon animations which I turned off immediately, and the lack of upstab.
I know you guys must have some good reason to hate it and it'll probably seem obvious when you say it, but I just can't figure it out.

Floris feels to me like it started out on the right path and just kept going long after it should have stopped.

All its quality of life stuff is great

it's pretty good, I'm not a fan of anything but native troops in mods that seek to improve on native though, so I'd suggest not using the """improved"""" troop trees
Floris has a lot of good features like being able to actually move while raiding a village so you don't constantly get fucked and have to alt-tab, the armor is pretty ok as well
it's probably the mod I've put the most hours into next to 1257, ignore the shitposters, but I guess it does have some problems and it might be a little bloated

Instructional vid for merging in custom troop trees is up.

youtube.com/watch?v=lNwqiYze7M4

yeah there are quite a few features I don't make use of, so I could see how that might bother people who value conservation of detail
I kinda figured that was the case

>If you tell the guy that, he will tell you to play geko 3.1
>he thinks that is me
Y-you too!

I'm posting Cao Cao in honour of the poster who was posting in honour of the original Cao Cao poster until we get a good Romance of the three kingdoms mod.

AFTER CONSULTING WITH THE PEERS OF THE REALM, KING RAGNAR HAS DECIDED TO CONFER THIS THREAD UPON KING RAGNAR.

LONG MAY HE REIGN.

warwolf

harlausselfie.jpg

just go play regulat gekokujo

>floris

stop adding weeb stuff make the game better
Okay got that shit out of the way now we can talk about why the wiccan is the best.

Apart from the obvious, does it really change the gameplay?

no

it forces you to be less bad at the game

I don't know a whole lot about dynasty warriors but wouldn't it be a like like Geko with all the units being the same?

No.
Ma Chao used javelins, which are unheard of anywhere else in China, and has the best horses bar the Xiongnu.
Sun Quan's navy is completely unrivalled.
Cao Cao is a very strong infantry base and will have good cavalry once he subjugates Ma Chao, but his elite units would cost a lot more than other people's.
Liu Bei has more or less nothing.

Also
>Dynasty Warriors
>Three Kingdoms
Choose one

>navy
Yeah but this is Mount & Blade

Well since I've never played ROTK but I HAVE played Bladestorm: Nightmare I guess I pick Dynasty Warriors.

>playing
Listen mate, if you can't be assed to put in the work to actually read up on a setting and then use a hack-and-slash video game to tell you what the setting was like, you may want to reconsider your life
Shit Bladestorm would have you believe that a cavalry charge gets blown the FUCK out by archers while archers are weak to slow-ass infantry while heavy infantry is weak to a cavalry charge.
The Romance itself is just fanfiction, DW is powerwank fanfiction of powerwank / Liu Bei-wank fanfiction, it gets almost nothing right except for the historical events.

>Yeah but this is Mount & Blade
Cao Cao's army was historically by far the strongest of any of the big three. He also had the advantage (early on) of having command of an actual professional army like Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao enjoyed instead of shitty conscripts.

Well I do intend to play DW8 at some point to learn all about chinese history and why they built a wall but right now I'm having to much fun killing giant bugs. This may be the closest thing to a Starship Troopers game I will ever get. and not that shitty Starship Troopers game

What does that have to do with a strong navy not meaning anything in Mount & Blade? Some mods have naval combat but beyond Caribbean! none of them take into account "naval power"

>Well I do intend to play DW8 at some point to learn all about chinese history
I'm attacking you playing fucking games to learn about history. Just read the damn chronicles, they're not that long to begin with. Fuck you could read that TK manga whatever it was called, it's fairly accurate in terms of the large-scale events.

>what does having a strong navy
More or less I imagine it'd mean you'd have something like 1257's boarding combat, but unlike 1257 where everyone just fights normally on a boat, any non-marine troops get debuffed to high hell on a ship and Wu would get better marines.
So like, Wei Elite Crossbowman (t3) might have 600 crossbow proficiency and have a slightly better crossbow and armor, but Wu Picked Marine Crossbowman (t4) might have 500 proficiency and shittier armor and weapons but not take the -50% penalty to proficiency, armor, and melee damage when he's on a boat. He'd be much worse on land despite being a tier higher, but on a ship he'd be far superior.

The other thread hadn't filled yet.

I haven't played any video game in months, but I want to get back to M&B.

I'm looking for a module with good quality, similar (or smaller) vanilla mapsize and interesting setting.

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

>and not that shitty Starship Troopers game
But it's pretty good

>download user's AD1257
>fuck yeah time to crusade
>spend starting money on a gambeson and go find a crusader lord
>this oath sure is long
>when i join, they take away all my items and money, giving me soldier's equipment instead
>wtf
>decide to step down from duty
>I am now completely naked and don't have a single coin
This sounds like bad mod design.

Well gekokujo,anno Domini 1257 and Europe in flames are all pretty good but your enjoyment of them depends mostly on your opinion of the setting.

You could always try out acok,sword of damocles,prophesy of pendor,perisno or that war hammer mod to get your fantasy fix.

There a few mods for vanilla too but I'm not familiar with them desu.

>Go scout this place in bumgickistan, middle of isengard territory
>get to rohan territory
>literally overrun by Isengard's uruk-hai
>Lose around 20 of my elven force
>Go avoiding their parties frmo now on
Jesus christ Uruk-hais are OP as fuck too
Two lords of Rohan died in battle while one from unbar and one from the other evil humans died
Mordor is getting bold, it's sending several armies to Lothlorien. So far we managed to fend them off, but the fall of Cair Andros has been a heavy hit.

The Sorcerer of Mirkwood lies dead, I'm now finishing helping Galadriel so I can recruit the Noldor Glorfindel.

>tfw no way to tell archers to try to take down the fucking armored troll before he gets too close

Liu Bei has some very strong generals/companions.

AD1257 is a buggy and overall shitty mod
Tried to play it once but I couldn't stand it
Try sands of faith, isn't perfect and armor balance is fucked, but I hear some user here actually re balanced it to make sense

>Liu Bei has some very strong generals/companions
Kind of? That being said strategists are essentially worthless in Mount and Blade while people like Zhang Fei and Guan Yu, while strong, aren't a match for the player and are hardly good enough to survive volleys of Northern crossbows.

>756 posts
>not filled

Zhuge Liang being a genius strategist could have maxed out tactics, engineering and maybe leadership
He could act as a lord or companion

The other generals just need to have very good stats and gear, and act as companions or lords, then you integrate with brainy bots to special characters only and you have a Guan Yu ready to kick your ass hard

I guess that could work yeah.
>Zhuge Liang
>genius strategist
He wasn't. He was a genius tactician and a good strategist. Sima Yi was the strategist, and people like Fa Zheng were good too. Arguably the best tactician of the whole period would've been Chen Gong, but Lu Bu literally never listened to his advice.

>wins the battle of red river
>Zhuge Liang was an important military strategist, statesman and accomplished scholar and inventor. His reputation as an intelligent and learned scholar grew even while he was living in relative seclusion, earning him the nickname "Wolong" or "Fulong" (both literally mean "Crouching Dragon").

He was considered one of the best

>red river
Red cliffs. Also, that is a single battle, which would be tactics.

I'm not interested in crusading as much as I am in a historical europe mod around that era, and 1257 seems to be the best one there is.

>when you die but you don't fall

Well there's Hispania 1200. Lacks variety but it's not as buggy or rough.

Even being the best there is, it doesn't make it good.

Well in the long term he got his lord from being nobody to actually surviving and being a respectable power
The demise of the kingdom Liu bei forged came at the hands of his son
So I'd say he's a pretty good strategist

Liu Bei is an asshole and a chronic backstabber.
The biggest problem with Shu though, besides their resource problem, was that they honestly had very few 'great' people at the endgame. Jiang Wei was nowhere near as good as the people of Jin for example and Zhuge Liang's death left Shu with very few competent people left.

>Liu Bei is an asshole and a chronic backstabber.
Well that doesn't affect Zhuge Liang genius

No, the problem of Shu was that Liu Shan was quite literally retarded

LONG MAY HE REIGN

>Liu Shan was commonly perceived as an incapable, even mentally handicapped ruler.

Hispania 1200 looks so fucking good, great textures and stuff. Also the Spanish voices are amusing as fuck.

On the other hand, it suffers from a clunky map, like most mods not set in Calradia, at least in my opinion.

I don't know why but the native map feels the best. Perfect size, areas fit their respective kingdoms, some really tricky choke points.

I wish there was a historical mod with a better map. Why didn't anyone do a HRE mod with Germany and the northern part of Italia? You could play during Barbarossa's reign. Or just Italia as a whole, with a bunch of city states squabbling.

sup mr unique troops user
is it possible to integrate your mod into silverstag? is it difficult to do?

>Well I do intend to play DW8 at some point to learn all about chinese history
You'll learn nothing because they've somehow made the games even more confusing than in the beginning. And they weren't great in 1-5.

>and why they built a wall
China's been building walls to stop nomads from tearing up their shit since forever. To protect themselves against that threat they needed to build watchtowers from which the invading enemy could be spotted and a messenger sent towards the nearest army. Unfortunately their enemies were nomadic and fast moving which meant they couldn't just defeat them and they also couldn't respond fast enough to stop them from doing serious damage when they attacked. As a result, and because China had so many people and resources, they built walls. Horses can't climb walls. They'd have to break through somehow and that would give the Chinese enough time to bring an army to put a stop to the invasion.

They never really tried to invade the nomads long term because it would involve having to build fortresses and move people to settle the land, and most of the time this wasn't feasible because of the land. The best alternative to building walls was just giving the nomads money to go away.

I have no idea what DW8 is going to teach you about that.

>On the other hand, it suffers from a clunky map, like most mods not set in Calradia, at least in my opinion.
You wot, Hispania map is good, compare with 1256 flat and always same color map and you will see

What's lacking in Hispania is unity variety, that sucks

Native map is good because it has variety of ecosystems - snow, sand, plains, forests
That keeps it interesting, but it has no respect of geography, geology or climate

Yeahn an HRE or Italy mod/map would be cool as fuck
The HRE then, how many factios we could have

They did try to exterminate them, a lot. During Han they went so far west that people speculated they wiped out a bunch of Romans by accident, since apparently the foot soldiers put up a square shieldwall formation to defend themselves - something nomads don't do.

We talking persistent troop identities or the custom troop trees one I just released?

Persistent Troop Identities: I tried once but couldn't get it to work. I probably would be able to later with more effort to work out what was messing it up though. As for whether it's easy to integrate it, it's literally impossible for anybody to integrate it without the source and while I want to release that, it's currently completely broken and useless until I get in back to a functional state. ;_;

Custom Troop Trees: Would be very difficult to make it work with Silverstag's overhauled recruitment system but doable with time and effort.

>mfw killing rhodock sergeants with only one swing from my poleaxe
>I have no face

Rome never sent any legions to china

>to China
No one said they did, the Han sent an army to basically the western edge of the steppe trying to chase down the nomad king.

I didn't mean that it looks ugly. But it's just one big blob of cities and castles with a few mountains thrown in. I know it's just the way the Iberian peninsula is, it still bugs me.

Native map allowed you to form your own kingdom somewhere secluded, that won't be possible in my H1200 playthrough (except maybe mallorca).

I'd do the HRE mod with just 8 or 9 factions, no more, or it gets messy like 1257.

Unfortunately I'm barely capable of adding stuff to other mods, don't know how to do my own mod. But maybe I'll learn it when bannerlord comes out to do it then.

They didnt send any legions after the mongols either

What the fuck are you even talking about anymore

You are the one talking about romans vs chinese

You need an optimum level of cities and villages and castles along with a good terrain. I'm not sure why but a lot of maps fail to achieve a satisfying balance, and it's not anything about the maps of real world geographic areas that make this a problem in of itself.

I think a big problem is that the designers fail to use scale efficiently. Most of the time I see mods opt to go for really tiny scale cities and units, which can be very frustrating. As well they try make the terrain as real as possible, which usually results in a very underwhelming experience as one rides across the continent. As much as I'm playing something like AD1257 for realism, I also want to feel like I'm in the world and not just looking down at it from a great height.

>Perfect size, areas fit their respective kingdoms, some really tricky choke points.
The native map, the Perisno map (sort of), the PoP map, and the VC/Brytenwalda maps nail this to some extent. You feel like there is a natural border to each kingdom without having to have empty spaces between them. Having choke points and mountains and rivers blocking areas and forests slowing down troops also mean that you have to make decisions as to where you go so that you don't run into a particularly difficult fight. It's variety as well.

There are a lot of other things I like about these maps, but those start to be about personal preference. You could call what I've mentioned so far personal preference, but I think they do help the core experience of M&B.

> Why didn't anyone do a HRE mod with Germany and the northern part of Italia? You could play during Barbarossa's reign. Or just Italia as a whole, with a bunch of city states squabbling.

Both of those ideas sound pretty great to me. 1257 tries to do something like this except that because it's a larger scope it usually has the HRE winning. Still, I think that in terms of scale both those maps would feel really satisfying.

>Hey Player, I want you to get 7 heads of cattle m8

Okay, not so hard

>can't loot any villages nearby
>have to buy them
> ~1300 denars
>100m away from delivering the cargo
>quest cancelled
>stuck with the cattle
>mfw

Marshal should give some monetary support to buy the damn herd.
I can at least sell the raw meat, but with a negative revenue

You could try floris. That’s a good vanilla mod

Roman's didn't have a monopoly on shield walls. It's highly likely that they came across either Persians, Baktrians, or either of the former serving under the Saka nomads.

not the other guy, but people keep telling me it sucks but offer no alternatives. I keep hearing about Silverstag tho, is it any good and what does it change?

Perisno is a decent mod, slightly larger than vanilla map size. Relatively interesting setting. Sword of Damocles looks interesting too.

you're joking right?
fresh cattle meat is really expensive, and each unit of cattle drops 3 or 4
if you're getting negative revenue from that, you probably left the meat too much time in the inventory and it started to rot, right?

So I've been reading tons of wuxia lately (nearly all of jin yong's translated works), and I've been wondering why there's no proper wuxia mod yet. I want to become a chink flying around with my sword and killing people for my sect, damnit.

>3 or 4
It's 2. The only time I've ever seen it be profitable to buy cattle and slaughter them is in Brytenwalda where they also drop hides.

why don't you just download all of these mods and try them out like a real autismo

You literally didn't read my post.

I might have exaggerated a bit, but the price lowers when selling in high volumes. Still I don't get income from it. If I haven't stolen the cattle first.

Lack of cleave
Also the fact that you make it yourself by giving yourself 1k~ in stats

>wuxia
Worst genre
t. Chink

does chinese armor really look like the fantasy crap from dynasty warriors?

Thanks, user. As I said, I'd do it myself but I have no clue about making meshes, textures, maps, how to modify the module etc.

I could map out the whole mod but I couldn't make it, sadly. Maybe I'll learn it for Bannerlord.

I just want to be a swabian vassal for my holx roman emperor and stomp the popes bootlickers to dust.

>lack of cleave
What do you mean with this?
>giving yourself 1k stats
That could work, but there are no real challenges left if you'd do that.

>wuxia is worst genre

How so? Given the fact that it's translated a lot I'd assume it's really popular.

It was historically mostly lamellar and coat of plates for heavy infantry / charioteers if we're talking Warring States.

>How so? Given the fact that it's translated a lot I'd assume it's really popular.
>popular is good
Here's the thing about Wuxia - written well, it's pretty good. Written poorly, it's literally nothing but self-insert powerwank, and most of them are written poorly.
>lack of cleave
You can't hit three people at once.
>challenge
Wuxia never has challenge when fighting groups of weaklings, it's always fighting some ancient god that makes things sour.

damn.

Isn't that the same with a lot of (fantasy) novels? It's not just limited to wuxia, so you can't just outright say it's the worst because it has terrible stuff in the genre. I wouldn't go comparing books Tolkien wrote with those that Terry Goodkind wrote. Just because there's a terrible series in a genre doesn't mean the genre sucks.

Hey, is laminar or lamellar more effective?
I'm just googling armor a tad now and apparently roman armor (the lorica segmentata) was "laminar", which is different than lamellar. Didn't even realize there was an actual difference.

>tfw Harlaus gives you Yalen and Veluca by day 160
This is gonna be a comfy playthrough.

Chainmail is still sexy as fuck.

>needing them handed to you
peasant

>Persistent Frontier is back

Wuxia is a bit different from fantasy in general because it necessitates an immensely powerful MC. That doesn't mean there can't be even stronger fuckers, but you can't be Frodo or Sam, you have to be Aragorn.

Dunno. Ancient (as in, pre-Qin) Chinese armor was incredibly fucking heavy mainly because armored people were nobles, who would almost always be sitting on chariots, so I'm willing to bet it was heavier than almost any contemporary infantry armor. That being said, Roman segmentata armor was over 300 years later.

>implying your ancestors didn't have them handed to you
>implying, failing that, your ancestors didn't burn down a civilization to replace it with mud huts

>tfw you flip and flop and backstab until you own the Kingdom of the Vaegirs while being a vassal of the Nords
>take over a town expecting Ragnar to give it to someone else so you can begin your kingdom again
>he gives it to you

He's even given me a castle I didn't fight to take.

Just noticed every troop is missing their sashimono in Gekonewer. Might be a coincidence but I think this happened after I got married.

The sashimonos were left with your wife after all of your soldiers fucked her.

Why does mbg hate the Sarranids?

Because God wills it