Air BnBing a Room

Any of you guys do this with your homes? I hear more people are using these to generate income.

Seems like it could be a decent alternative to actually renting out another unit (like in a duplex or triplex) as there would be less maintenance involved.

Rule #1 arbnb; no non whites. No exceptions

Might as well not do it then. No such thing as white people

I live in a bachelor apartment

I have no rooms to rent out

Enjoy getting analy raped

>Seems like it could be a decent alternative to actually renting out another unit
Lots more income too, if you live in a desirable area you can make a months rent in a week, or weekend if you're lucky.

I have a few clients that have given up renting their properties for just doing AirBNB, especially cottages, since if they want to use them they can just not take a booking.

what does teh website get out of it?
do they take a cut???

Been doing it for a year now and have made 16k out of my spare room.

Austin tx

Dont allow niggers to stay is for real. They have no concept of personal space.

Overall though its every easy money

landlord rights here are really shitty, but innkeeper rights are pretty good

some are even converting small apartment buildings into a bunch of smaller places on it

rent out your bedroom
sleep on the couch

I own a few AirBnB units. It's good money, but high maintenance because furnishing, cleanup, lots of walk-through inspections, etc.

The real problem is tenants in my normal units thinking I won't notice them listing shit on AirBnB/craigslist/facebook, etc. If you own your property, it can be great, just be sure not to leave personal shit lying around. Alternatively, if you want to play games with your landlord make sure they are incompetent before doing so. Also check your local tenancy laws. I evict several people every year for illegal sublets. Tech savvy landlords will have bots crawling most popular sites looking for this sort of stuff. It's cheap to do, and once it's setup, your webserver should have the power to do it, so it costs you nothing to run. In my area I can evict you without notice for doing this. I send a process server to rent the unit from you, and then when you give him the keys, he hands you court documents and walks off.

Don't play games when renting if you think you have even a chance of being caught. A spiteful landlord can make your life hell, even years after you've been dragged out by the law.

What bullshit state do you live in where legal paying occupants don't have almost full domain of their dwelling?

You can prevent subletting practically everywhere that isn't inner city shitholes like NYC, or liberal hugbox camps like the bay area.

Subleters aren't on the lease. Only people on the lease can live there. Getting on the lease requires written approval/consent from all parties to the contract. Since they never applied to me, and I can refuse to terminate, alter, or ammend an existing contract, even if they did apply and meet my requirements, they won't be on the lease. Anyone allowing someone else to live there is in violation of the lease. That includes me. I can't just move in either.

Right to quiet enjoyment doesn't mean you get to use the property like you are the owner.

In my area the taxes and insurance make it unprofitable to run legally.

My town and county tax it like a hotel, and insurance companies treat it as a rental property. Both of which drive your costs through the roof.

city, suburban, or rural area?

Most of the places cracking down on it seem to be cities, or suburban subdivisions with NIMBYs, usually middle class "I'm a homeowner" white people.

tiny city. about 3000 population.

they're desperate to increase tax base so they go after anything they can.

I think they currently offer cash rewards to anyone turning in an air b&b neighbor that isn't paying their taxes.

Airbnb review for the process server:
>This guy is an undercover process server everybody. 1/5 would not rent to again.

Yep. See that all the time. I've got 2 properties sitting largely abandoned right now because of that. It's so fucking shortsighted.

>Hey, lets make it unprofitable to house tourists. This totally won't make us hurt even more as our property values decline.

The one's in a nice area and I use it as a vacation home for some family, since because of some quirks the taxes on it are low if I'm not renting it out. Fine with losing the money on it because it's such a perfect location.

The other one is a building that had huge water damage and I bought at a tax auction. Area I can't rent in, but solid AirBnB potential two streets off a quaint little main drag filled with local shops. Town passed an ordinance taxing the fuck out of AirBnB, so I just bulldozed the building since it was beyond redemption, and vagrants doing heroin is a real problem there, then just left the rubble and let it sit.

Yards covered in weeds and it's brought the property values of the neighbors down by over a million when you combine them. You can call that petty as fuck, but taxes on a lot are nothing, and they can't do anything about it. Already said that I'll take offers for it, but I'm not going anywhere without a good price, and none of them is willing to actually do anything other than complain about how evil I am for ruining their precious community. It's not like I'm actively harassing anyone. Hell, it's safer than before because there aren't teenagers doing drugs in it anymore. It's just a shitheap, and it will remain so until they either buy me out or I can do something profitable with it. I'll get my money out of it in a few years one way or the other.

Doesn't work quite like that if it goes through AirBnB. I can have any reviews like that removed, since I'm the property owner/manager anyways, and I do it through a company account with bullshit credentials that has been pre-approved by AirBnB.

There's a lot of shit that AirBnB is willing to do if you run a lot of stuff through them. They don't like fraud any more than property owners do because it opens them up to massive liability. If you don't have authorization to rent the place, you have a lot less incentive to keep things safe, or from getting trashed. They don't want to be paying out insurance constantly because of shitty people.

as if that's a bad thing

Aside from the direct damage it does to the market I expect it does other indirect damage since renters often enough become buyers.

the more tourists we bring in the more houses and business properties we sell. But then I have to blame business owners for some of that. They (we) could run for office and change the policy if only we weren't so busy making money as fast as we can.

I've actually spoken at several town council meetings and explained my point of view in depth. In a few cases they agreed and some people actually proposed incentives to attract AirBnB style things to take advantage of some nearby seasonal events. People don't like rental units in general because of slum lords, but don't know enough to figure out ways to legally drive slum lords away while keeping the good ones around, or just don't even realize that anything besides slum lords exist, since you only hear about the crazy bad stuff.

The other major problem is NIMBYs. They are not interested in their community. They have an allergic reaction to anything that upsets how they think 'their' street should be. They literally do not give a fuck about anything else besides that, as long as the view out their window is pristine. Entitled/narcissistic/busybody/general cunts. They come in many flavors.

I've been sued because one of my tenants (and one of my better ones at that) was a single mother of 3. Military wives, particularly the ones that proudly proclaim to be catholic on the first meeting, are so fucking annoying to deal with.

I'm enjoying your stories but I don't get what happened in the last paragraph here.

i've got a small studio in the very historical city centre of an italian city. been living there during my college days but that shit's going to get airbnb'd soon to make cash.

any advice for me niggers? the place can easily host a couple and maybe a small family of three.

I'm not sure if it's outright illegal but you can definitely put a clause or something in the lease agreement that you can't do micro sublets as a tenant.

I rent a 2-room apartment in a very touristy city in Europe, been doing it for two years
They get 2-4% off you and charge the guest 3-6% more than you do

I live in a tourist town and I charge 370$ a night in exchange for renting out my whole house. 5 room 3 bed. Made 10K in 3 months. Also Asians steal all your things .

>They get 2-4% off you and charge the guest 3-6% more than you do
Are you sure about that?

airbnb it, then go travel

It's in the terms and conditions when you start your account and on the phone app if you tap the "reservation cost" button.
As a practical example, my rate is 50€/night. For my last booking of 2 nights, I got 96€ and the guest paid 106€.

Ah it's just a bit weird, in the hotel industry booking websites don't pass the cost on to the clients but take a percentage from the booking, generally around 10% but up to 20%

An older military widow sued me. She sued me because she wanted me to evict a single mother of 3 because it wasn't what a 'good christian' would do. The court paperwork actually listed here has Mrs. (firstname) widow of (rank) (lastname). The military wife stereotype is a stay at home busybody that has never worked a day in their lives, just patrols the neighborhood looking to scream and yell at anything that is "sinful", and seems to believe that their husbands rank has importance in the civilian world.

I deal with them a lot because they hate renters for ruining their local image, and they tend to be more than a little racist. Most of the time they can't find a lawyer dumb enough to actually file anything, but one that is functionally insane instead of full blown batshit crazy can come up with enough plausible lies to convince someone until they hear the other side.

keep doing the gods work m8, no pun intended

you have any more interesting stories?

Hundreds, but mostly has to do with long term rentals. AirBnB type things have been good outside of one or two people doing substantial property damage, which AirBnB was forced to cover, since I had substantial proof of the damage.

>A spiteful landlord can make your life hell, even years after you've been dragged out by the law.

Yea maybe if you want to pay laywers fees of 10k to collect maybe 300 bucks of revenue and keep maybe the security deposit?

Unless youre renting out 3k a month luxury condos, then chances are as a landlord you will be lucky to just have your tenants leave after agreeing to not collect rent not paid.

Tenants have lots of rights, you cant kick somebody out on the street that day even if they arent paying.

confirmed, grandmother was a flags officer wife her whole life.

Definitely racist and definitely has nothing better to do than patrol the neighborhood and bitch at me for doing laundry at her third property that lays empty.

She had become to accustomed to always having an 0-4 aid to my grandfather wait on her every whim.

Even as an 0-1 myself now I see military wives on base who think that the wear their husbands rank.

Once had an e-7s wife on base stop me to salute her. I politely explained that I outrank her husband despite only being in the marines for less than a year. She didnt understand rank and assumed I was junior because of my age.

share a bit lad, I love these stories

That's a very biz post, I like it.
Fuck those fuckers that disregard the contract.

I got two free rooms. One I use to study (although my main desk is in my room), the other to work out. A fourth room is occupied by my sister. We considered letting the free rooms or doing Airbnb (we own the place). However, living with strange people is not worth it, and I also doubt it would be such a great income after tax and when considering the effort that would have to be involved.

Most of the cost is getting them out in the first place. Lost rent, downtime, court costs, paying movers to throw their shit out, changing the locks, etc. It's cheaper to let a unit sit vacant for 2-3 months to get good tenants than to fill it with a bad one. Evictions stay on your credit report for years by themselves. The eviction process is a sunk cost.

Judgements can be renewed cheaply, and I can and will report that judgement, and any delinquencies, to all 3 credit agencies. I'm far from the worst. I don't report to any of the 'collective bad tenant registry/database' that landlords in some areas use. You get on one of those, you are barred from ever renting from any landlord that uses them, and you have no recourse.

While I'm on the topic of evictions. NEVER rent an AirBnB unit to an individual/group for long enough that they can establish tenancy. If they don't have tenancy, you can have police remove them, and if the cops don't want to get involved (they forge a lease or the cop is incompetent/lazy), you can possibly have private security throw them out. Consult with a lawyer about this, as it varies by state, county, and even city.

I refuse to allow AirBnB bookings for even close to the tenancy limits. Give yourself a few days, or a week of padding, just so that you always have time to act and get them thrown out before things get bad. Once they have tenancy, getting rid of them requires court intervention. Because AirBnB locations are funished, and have included utilities, you are on the hook. Allowing the electricity to get shut off, or even the internet, can legally constitute retaliation, and you can and will get sued over it. I cannot stress this enough. Get a lawyer and have a battle plan that will not get you in trouble.

I was watching the pacific, the episode where the gunny chews out the lt. Wouldn't expect the wife to act like that but it is a military base.

kek

he was joking dude

that's really interesting man

their rage is understandable but only in the sense that common people rage about things without willingness to do anything to change the situation.

you aren't being a total prick but you aren't being a ray of sunshine either, and that's how it goes in business dealings

How about another military wives tale?

So to clarify, this wasn't one of my tenants. Colleague of mine and I work together a lot because he has a sixth sense for sniffing out certain kinds of problems, and I'm far more aware of modern technical solutions. He had a tenant that had been in various places with him for 20ish years. Guy did most of his own maintenance, even did renovations like french drains, and decks, never missed a rent payment, and was just generally a landlords wet dream.

Thing is, he was gay. And were not talking about someone with erratic hand movement and a funny lilt to is voice in a nicely tailored sort of gay. Were talking immaculate beard, tight jeans, fluorescent pink partially unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt with a few thick waxed chest hairs poking out on a guy that was physically fit enough to rip a horse in half kind of gay. The kind of gay that makes even golfers look like Mr Overalls the local mechanic who's missing half his teeth and 3 fingers in comparison.

So he moves to a new apartment for his routine change of scenery and within a week he runs into a local military wife. Obviously this sort of individual cannot be allowed to exist and pollute her Christian neighborhood, so she starts a harassment campaign. So tenant calls up his landlord, my colleague and asks him what to do. Colleague gets in touch with me. Before I get there, the woman has smashed out all the first floor windows while the tenant was out. There's no proof, and the cops aren't going to touch her because of the lack of proof and that she's known to be crazy. Colleague is pissed the fuck off. He loves this tenant and tells me he doesn't care what it takes. Fix it. So I get a nice camera system installed while he puts in new windows, and tell the tenant to play dumb when she comes around. Let her dig her own grave on camera. One party consent state, and conversations on private property don't even need consent here.

Week or two goes by and she's leaving church notes on his door while he's out, but nothing physically violent, or even directly threatening. Enough that he can maybe start moving into restraining order territory, but not enough to be sure, let alone go anywhere else. Finally, she snaps. She storms up, pounds on his door, and when he opens it, she starts screaming at him. Full fledged meltdown. She threatens to drug him, then while he's helpless, rape the gay away from him. OK, that's enough that we can go somewhere. But it gets better. The next day while I'm in the house with my security guy pulling the footage and generally cracking jokes with the tenant, she drives by, fills his mailbox with spray foam (federal felony by the way), then runs up and throws a brick through a window, and an improvised Molotov.

Yeah. That didn't end well for her. Besides the attempted murder charges, you don't fuck with mailboxes, or the contents in them. USPIS is scarier than the IRS. Do not give them an excuse to make an example out of you.

top kek

how did she handle it? Did she move or is still pissing off your colleague's tenant?

hahaha. this is an amazing story. thanks for sharing

That's the thing though. I have incentive NOT to clean the lot. Because of how tax auctions work in that town, there's some incentives in place to encourage buyers and development.

If I clean it up, I have to maintain it in a presentable state, but since I bought it at a tax auction, I have no legal time frame requirements to pretty it up. Since the building on it was already condemned, leveling it isn't considered improving the property. As long as I maintain it in it's current state, it is sufficient. Since it's current state is maintenance free, that's just taxes Because I got it rezoned as mixed commercial/residential, county protections for commercial development come in, and they would have to grandfather me in for something like a decade under the old laws as long as I didn't do any renovations. As long as I pay the pittance on property taxes, they cannot realistically touch me.

I want to develop it, but until I can guarantee I'll get anything out of it, cleaning it up just means my holding costs go up. It's not going to be any more expensive to clean it up now vs in several years. The not quite extortion tier leverage is just an incidental bonus.

She went to jail. She fought it, but when an ex-cop who was retired after getting shot and going through years of physical therapy gets on the stand and gives a first hand account in graphic detail of how she nearly burned a house down with 3 people in it, and references the camera angles, even a good lawyer isn't going to be able to do much. What's he going to do? Challenge the credibility of a decorated officer? With video evidence?

No idea if she's out or not. Her husband did divorce her, but I think that was more to do with his career than anything else. Rumor has it he was getting sick of her antics before hand. Being married to a felon isn't beneficial for security clearances. I really don't know anything past that.