EPS

Will it oversteer/understeer?
Why do you hate EPS?
Does taking the powersteering pumps parasidic loss off show any REAL beneift?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2014/06/infiniti-q50-steer-by-wire/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are three options in the automotive word that drive every decision: it saves the manufacturer money, it improves fuel consumption, or it does both.

There is no steering feel

wut

Yeah, but electric steering has to turn mechanical energy into electrical energy and back into mechanical energy and you lose a bit of energy at each step, so it's really not that efficient unless the steering pump will be off for long periods, and since most cars that use this tech are city cars and not highway cruisers the advantage there is lost.

The only reason I can imagine electric power steering being useful is for when the wheel has to be turned sharply while the engine is basically at idle, like parallel parking in a city or maneuvering in tight spots, but my first gen Focus with its belt-driven steering pump has still performed that task without fault.

>women drivers complaining that it's too hard to turn the steering wheel.
>women drivers complaining that it's too hard to drive a manual

you forgot about the part where people bitch about normal features of a car being too hard to use.

Not all EPS are born the same. VAG's is pretty good for an EPS system, whereas PSA's is just total shit.

IIRC it takes off 1MPG.

Electric steering does not work that way. It doesn't convert the energy you put into the steering wheel into anything; all the steering power comes from the electric motor. The steering wheel is a glorified knob with force feedback. At least with hydraulic power assisted steering you still have a direct link to the wheels, you can still turn it with the hydraulic system out.

The reason why this system is becoming popular is because processing power and electric motors are dirt cheap.

epas is far more efficient than hpas, even if it is a tiny proportion overall.

>Will it oversteer/understeer?
typical Veeky Forums quality post

>At least with hydraulic power assisted steering you still have a direct link to the wheels
you have a direct link to the wheels with epas you tard.
it's just electric power assistance not electric steering

>all the steering power comes from the electric motor. The steering wheel is a glorified knob with force feedback.
Well this now much more makes sense, but I think the technology should be improved more so it doesn't end up as laggy as 2000's Chrysler drive by wire. God that would be horrible.

>the type of power sterring system determines understeer/oversteer

Veeky Forums, why are you so stupid?

Alright now, I talked to someone who knows things.

Instead of hydraulics and valves in the rack, it's just a motor that assists in the direction of turn.

....I admit stupidity in that I thought the electric motor was replacing the hydraulic pump, not the entire system entirely. That would just be retarded.

>why does a random bunch of shit talking teenagers not know what the fuck they are on about

>....I admit stupidity in that I thought the electric motor was replacing the hydraulic pump, not the entire system entirely. That would just be retarded.
EPAS and EHPAS are both things. Quite different things though

>previous car had a manual rack
>dat unfiltered road feel goodness
>current car is based on the same chassis, but now with pas

Already searching for a manual rack to fit. Even considered using the later versions' epas rack while keeping the manual column, and turn it into a quickrack (common mod on this car), but I feel it might be a bit too much for a car I'll rarely track, if at all. It's 3.7 turns lock to lock for the manual rack, and 2.7 for the epas one btw.

you could probably get a quick ratio pinion cut locally as the best solution

The EPS in the Dodge Dart is mechanically linked to the steering rack. You can pull a fuse for EPS or unplug the motor and you can still steer, though it's significantly more difficult.

There is no production car that has a fully-drive-by-wire steering system. That would be really stupid and unsafe, as in the event of a failure, steering would be impossible.

EPS is lighter, less complicated, does not parasitize the engine, does not require its own fluid reservoir, and steering feel and response can be customized through software. It is a wholly superior method.

But I guess you guys like the sound of squealing belts, leaking fluid, and the potential for catastrophic failure spraying a pint of flammable hydraulic fluid all over your engine bay.

Did you customise your steering through software?
I got a new Boxster and was wondering how to improve the steering, it's pretty dead. Nothing like my old 987.

I'm actually pretty happy with it, it feels much like my Logitech G29. The comparison of EPS to force feedback wheels is very apt. Road feel is very subtle, but I can still tell when I'm understeering. The consistency and accuracy of the system is demonstrated well if you turn to full lock and then try to roll forward without your hands on the wheel. It returns to center very quickly.

What I meant mostly is that the manufacturer has the ability to change the properties of the steering assist with a simple software update, whereas on a hydraulic system, major components of the rack would have to be changed.

>I'm actually pretty happy with it, it feels much like my Logitech G29.
kill yourself lad

EPS just doesn't have the response that HPS or no power steering has. VW has the best response, but even that isn't as good as a cheap HPS rack.

>flammable hydraulic fluid

>1mpg

That seems high. Having done no research and seeing no data, I'd assume it's because a hydraulic system is more complicated and requires more "extra parts" (IE fluid, pump, reservoir, hoses, fittings, etc etc) compared to a motor and some wires. With motors and wires being cheaper and smaller, it's a logical step for space and cost efficiency, but I don't know about fuel efficiency.

Maybe on a 60+mpg city car you'd see 1mpg difference during highway driving, but a blanket statement of 1mpg seems way high.

okay, technically it's only 'combustible' but I have seen HPS pumps overpressure and explode before, usually on Daimler-era Chryslers, coating the engine bay in a film of oil.

I don't know, what do you mean by response? Like, road feel/reaction or immediacy in steering? Chrysler's always had this fetish for light, somewhat numb steering which is apparent in the Dart, but it's also incredibly sensitive and quick. There is absolutely no delay, damping, dead zone, or hesitation. It's about as direct as you can get, just not communicative.

I grew up playing arcade racers (like, actual arcade games, not a euphemism for casual shit), so something that feels like the FFB systems of SF Rush or Daytona USA cabinets is quite pleasant to me.

one thing that people forget is that you do not use 100% of that electrical energy at all times.

Its not like a fan or a heater than uses 60 amps continuous, its used as needed. So when your on the freeway your probably not using any or very little power to change lanes and zero to go straight. The only time you really need more amperage is when your driving in the city or at a dead stop.

And even when your at a dead stop it only uses about 30 amps to turn the wheel, thats like having your headlights and parking lights on for a split second.

Not really, at least new ones. Production stopped a couple years ago.
But as I said, all racks and columns on this car (manual, hydraulic, epas) are interchangeable, so you can literally build a quickrack, if you want.

>There is no production car that has a fully-drive-by-wire steering system. That would be really stupid and unsafe, as in the event of a failure, steering would be impossible.

I thought the Infiniti Q50 had one.

wired.com/2014/06/infiniti-q50-steer-by-wire/

Absolute idiocy in this thread. Electric Power Steering has become more prevalent due to Hybrid Technologies. As with everything in the automotive world, manufacturers will test new technology on other platforms before their intended use (IE Cobalt). That's why EPS is more common than ever. Can't run a hydraulic pump when your car is running on electric, unless you use an electric pump, which is absolutely retarded when you can just use an electric motor to drive your rack.

Personally I prefer EPS. Easier system over all, less maintenance, and no power steering fluid covering EVERYTHING in your engine bay.

Prius is a hybrid and it used hydraulic steering until recently.
Fact is EPAS has got to a point where it's cheaper and easier to fit on a production line than hydraulic.

Why do you lie on the internet? The Prius doesn't have hydraulic power steering at all.

The only hybrid that has hydraulic power steering that I can think of off the top of my head is a Saturn Green Line. That's because it wasn't your conventional hybrid system, it was a low voltage hybrid that only added auto start and stop, no electric drive.

Edit:
It has drive, but not solely on electric power. It assists in take off.

I'm also not postive that it has hydraulic power steering, it may have EPS as well, but this is one of the few hybrids that conventional power steering would work on.

>no power steering fluid covering EVERYTHING in your engine bay
So much this. My car uses ATF for the power steering, and I recently decided to change it. I fucking hate trans fluid, the smell is atrocious.

Although personally for driving feel I prefer hydraulic systems. Every car with an EPS I've driven has felt...floaty. It's very easy to distinguish hydraulic vs electric power steering.