/simg/ - Simulation Games General

Previous Thread:
A thread for all vehicle simulation games: racing sims, flight sims, train sims, submarine sims, tank sims, anything else sims which do not have enough traffic to sustain their own independent generals.

>Extra attention grabbing search terms for example welcome sims
/fsg/ /dcsg/ /fsxg/ /bmsg/ /shg/ /rofg/ /etsg/ /il2g/ /lfsg/ /tsg/

>/simg/ TeamSpeak:
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Experimental website
nogf.moe/simg/

>/fsg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/flightsimgeneral

>BMS download links
pastebin.com/2CDSgvZq

>Planefag pastebin:
pastebin.com/Zb0U61in

>Boat- and subfag pastebin
pastebin.com/JqTQWFFE

>Repository of various aviation related material:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3EQDvufMNdeTUh4SE9WV0txa0E&usp=drive_web

>OP pastebin:
pastebin.com/yXeNzrpg

>Example of welcome sims
Falcon BMS, DCS World, Rise of Flight, IL-2, Combat Helo, Microsoft Flight Simulator, X-Plane, Euro truck sim, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Live for Speed, SAM Simulator, Steel Beasts Pro, Steel Armor: Blaze of War, Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum, Silent Hunter, Train Simulator, Farming Simulator 201X

>Example of non-welcome games:
Ac* C*mbat, W*r Th*nder, W*rld of _____

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jo-kxkacJJI
youtube.com/watch?v=YyrgK8sN71I
youtube.com/watch?v=HHu9idUEtnU
youtube.com/watch?v=tLq7jxmPls4
youtube.com/watch?v=yjfVOBtwHDY&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=NjpPMPe5AiI
youtube.com/watch?v=_A1oNNC8XLw
alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for 2 weeks be sure

second for shilka

You're flying low level and avoiding long range SAMs when all of a sudden this 2A42 slaps your wingman's ass.

What do you do?

>slaps your wingman's ass
>KA-50 doesn't care

just trim for the new CG

lol

redpill me on Steel Beasts I want to tanks

Get Steel Armor: Blaze of War, see if you like it.

If you do, try one of the rental licenses for awhile.

I have SABOW, but I'd like it but with a bit more systems modelling (and preferably better crew AI).

I'd say wait for Steel Beasts Pro PE 4.0 to come out first.

When d'ya figure that will be?

And speaking of systems modelling, how in-depth is it for Steel Beasts? I ask here because holy christ it's hard to find any youtube videos on it that aren't just HEY LOOK TANK MAKE THING BLOW UP

Two weeks, be sure.

I have no idea.

And it's pretty in-depth. Not DCS aircraft level but it's still in-depth.

A whole lot of nothing has been said about it so far, really, but I really hope that we do eventually get some DCS-level ground vehicles. I'd really dig a study sim level soviet tonk, though it'd probably have to be something early like a T-62 to not get ED sent to the gulags

Anybody here plays Dirt Rally?

The system modelling varies from model to model. The most in-depth ones are the vehicles made for military customers (e.g. CV90 family, Pizzarro etc. -- the irrelevant shit), if I remember correctly you can basically do a cold start (yes, there are clickable buttons 'n sheeit) with some. The CV9040 has a 100+ pages manual for example... some have only a few dozen pages e.g. T-72, Abrams family.

But you most know that the stated design philosophy of the game is a tactical simulator not a procedure simulator (i.e. not pure autism). The fire controls are very well done in all vehicles, basically that is the relevant part of the tank.

After fucking around with the fire control you are basically going to spend most of the time looking at the map, coordinating attacks/troops/movements (especially if you are in charge of a larger military formation) -- that's the nature of tank sims.

It's a better simulator than SABOW to be honest. SABOW only has the edge in price and in it's dynamic-ish campaign.

There are some good shit coming in the 4.0 upgrade

>playable BMP-2
youtube.com/watch?v=jo-kxkacJJI
>playable M60A3
youtube.com/watch?v=YyrgK8sN71I
>playable T-72B1
youtube.com/watch?v=HHu9idUEtnU
>playable Marder 1A3
youtube.com/watch?v=tLq7jxmPls4
>playable Spähpanzer Luchs
youtube.com/watch?v=yjfVOBtwHDY&feature=youtu.be

Gon b gud.

Why is every sim that is worth a shit made by slavs?

Why are slavs so into simulation?

Because real life in Russia is hell on earth.

they literally could not get enough during ww2. so they made simulations to fill the void

Steel Beasts is hergestellt in Deutschland AFAIK.

That's why it is not an unoptimized resource hog piece of shit.
>problem not with software but its of your hardware, very complex arithmetics related to advanced flight modelling buy SSD & 32GB of RAM xaxa))))))))

>playable BMP

my dick

You say that it's a 'tactical simulator', with emphasis on coordinating with other troops. How much of that is actually required for the sim? Because I'm absolutely shit as a tactician, I expect I'd be able to employ a single tank relatively well but if I'm in charge of deploying a group I'll probably end up with a lot of dead friendlies on my hands.

It depends on the scenario. At the smallest level, you are in control of a platoon (3-4 vehicles). As a single vehicle, you have no real fighting value. The backbone of ground warfare is fire and movement. Watch some competent players play Steel Beasts on youtube, that's what I did. Learn by watching, then experiment. There's also army material on platoon tactics on their site, in the downloads section. (I think it was FM 17-15 Tank Platoon)

(If you are interested and can read russian, they have the original BMP-2 manual uploaded, too.)

Or you can just fuck around in target practice, learning and practicing fire control systems is fun.

There's also an instant action mode, in which you are defending a position with unlimited munitions against swarms of enemy armor and IFVs.

Also,
> a lot of dead friendlies on my hands
If you plan to play OPFOR/Warsaw Pact equipment, then you will have a LOT OF dead friendlies. Prepare for that. If I remember correctly, the smallest tactical Pact formation with good fighting value was battallion (vis a vis company in NATO).

>Watch some competent players play Steel Beasts on youtube

care to give a brotha some links?

Also I guess if I get too intimidated I can just reenact the Gulf War where the most potent threat armor faced was a goddamn RPG, or Chechnya where much the same was the case

youtube.com/watch?v=NjpPMPe5AiI

best intro

>formation with good fighting value

you're referring to a Maneuver Element, or ME. The scale is actually Pact Company to NATO Platoon, not Battalion to Company. These complications have more to do with a more sluggish C3 on the side of Pact than it does with weapons effectiveness.

As for casualties, typically Pact is expected to be doing the attacking, and as such the attacker usually pays the higher price. You can get away with little casualties with the right situation or tactics, however. A commander with superb quality of command can and will make a force of quantity just as, if not more effective than a "small and elite" one.

Even in NATO doctrine, for initiating a fight against the enemy, i.e. you're doing the attacking, the doctrine recommends you hold at least a 3:1 numerical advantage over the enemy you plan to assault

seriously I'd really dig some actually decent steel beasts/tanksim youtubers

I'm so tired of "HEY LOOK I DRIVE THE ABRAMS BOOM SHOOT COOL LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE" shit

Note that this is infantry doctrine and I'm not sure how it works out for armour because I've never worked with armoured units or looked into their tactics

Okay, enough beating around the bush. Let's all drop the user and have some real talk with our actual names attached.
Give me solid reasons to unban Greg while you have a name on.

This is actually believable enough to be real and it's also very seemingly a shitpost, so bravo

Not that user but it'd be nice if someone posted a TL;DR about tonks tactics. I have no immediate use for those but Im kinda curious.

lmao, nice try, Greg
If I ever trip again, it'd be using the code on my steam profile

But I am not Greg..?

Me too desu. I have a British army TAM in mine, it's pretty much an officers pocket guide to doctrine, if I can find any armour stuff I might paraphrase it. although it's protected under the official secrets act so I'm not sure if I'll get fucked by GCHQ

You will be fucked by GCHQ.
Especially now that you mentioned them and the official secrets act.
GCHQ collects and analyses every electronic communication in the country.

I won't post shit then

Sup /simg/, wannabe planefag here with a question.
How gud do i have to git before I can fly with you guys? I mean obviously I should do the provided training materials for whatever plane I want to do, but is there anything else?
Are there tests or anything?

Just fucken hop in and do whatever. people will walk you through procedures during ops so no need to worry.
we arent super try hard or anything

Everyone flies FC3 planes anyways so literally 0 (ZERO) skill required.
Unless you wanna roll with the adults and play BMS in which case we will only accept you if are an actual air force officer/pilot like us.

do they fuck you even if you post behind TOR or a couple of proxies?

No
youtube.com/watch?v=_A1oNNC8XLw

I'd imagine they can locate you bad that, being the intelligence service and all

Please remember OPSEX before you post

Operational Sexuality?

>10 AM
>expecting me to be awake

Kek nice try

You dirty need. Take your anime shit and leave

>holidays
>being a neet

>I just bought it like the chump I am.

When's it coming lads. I want it but I'm skint as fuck

Is it best to get dcs through steam or standalone?
Is there a difference?

wat da fugg

Standalone has all the modules, Steam does not.

Coming to shit thunder next update fampai

That answers that then. Thanks

In more detail, the only actual major difference that can't be fixed is that the Steam version tracks hours. You can buy shit off steam and use it with the store version, and while you CAN do it the other way around, it's a little more involved.

tl;dr Do you care about Steam tracking hours on your profile? If not, use Store. If so, use Steam, and poke Ivan in the teamspeak about making the store modules work with the steam copy of DCS

I can probably track my own flight hours.
Fuck messing around with shit if I don't have to.

Then you're probably better off with the Store version. Keep in mind, that allows you to buy modules off Steam as well, say, if they're on sale.

Nice. Steam sales are great.
Getting paid on Friday, will look at getting FC3 I think.
Still need to get pedals though, only got a stick so far.

Thanks for all your help m80.

No problem man, anytime.

FC3 is definitely a great choice to start off DCS with. It's got plenty of content for the buck, and starts you off small (i.e. simple) so you can focus on learning the ins-and-outs of DCS first, vs having to learn complex aircraft ontop of that. It also preps you for said complex aircraft. Feel free to drop into teamspeak, and plenty of people are there that are willing to help you learn. Don't let the 'teamspeak boogeymen' bullshit get to you.

1-18 days

Is there a plane that will love me, hug me, and wont break my heart?

>FC3 a good anything
Yeah right until the slavboos bois get in here and shit the place up again making fun of F15 pilots.

F-15 pilots are infamous for not being able to handle banter lmao

I'd like to but I don't have a wheel atm.

>new people join
>they arent communist faggots
>want to play f15 ops
>lolno ahahah slavshit or gtfo
This place needs to die.

I do. Haven't been on it for a while tho

Ask a mission maker or make a mission that includes F-15s then instead of crying like a fucking baby

I'm a big Francoboo with planes yet when I want to fly the mirage I just ask the mission maker if they could accommodate me, most of the time they can

What version of the Sabre is in DCS, it has a LABS which was only seen in the H version but I've seen stuff that indicates it's the F block 30

k den

F-86F-35 according to how the manual lays out it's stats.

That actually makes sense.
From my own research I found that H sabres were the only ones with LABS, I see this mustn't be the case

To be fair, the -35 was the last block of 86F's to be produced, then they moved on to H's which had LABS, so you're almost right.

fugg, leaving for the canary islands in less then three weeks, I bet it's gonna be released the day before I leave... FUCK THIS GAY EARTH

you goin on vacation chap?

it'll still be there when you get back lad

yes..
>tfw ill be shitposting from a beach while simg fly the F-5.
Im not sure how to feel about this desu senpai

Well I won't be flying it because I'm skint as fuck lad. Hopefully if I get this job I'll buy it

Are there any install instructions for the flyables on the /simg/ website?
I have JSGME, just don't know exactly what to put in the MODS folder before enabling.

Iktf.

That being said, I have a job and am still perma-skint. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Aw yeah, X-plane welcome here, found a new home!
Are there many pilots around? Anyone knows how to get decent up to date aircraft?

>making the store modules work with the steam copy of DCS

By this I'm assuming you mean simply moving the files over and playing the steam version with those modules 'installed' right?

Not actually transferring modules into steam DLC.

Soviet doctrine recommends a 5:1 ratio in the breakthrough assault, however, it's also perfectly fine to attack 1:5 if you have enough artillery or nuclear support. A leading regiment would have upwards of 5 battalions, or 114 guns, plus supporting fires.

Specifically I would like a C210, like the carenado, anyone?

All I know from training I've done is that you shouldn't assault a position unless you have a platoon to every enemy section, a company to a platoon, a battalion to a company etc

Well in Soviet army, you have an artillery battery for every enemy section.

I still can't decide between X-Plane and FSX. FSX runs like absolute dogshit, There's always a fucking problem with P3D addons and there are just not enough X-Plane addon torrents around.

>non military flight sims
For what purpose?

Do we have any info on multi crew or is it on the backburner like everything else

I also fly BMS.

Also they're good for chilling out.

>Still no tornado in active development
fucking kill me

>tornado
you had to remind me didnt you

Not only that, but enabling module manager and properly installing them as if it were a store copy.

>tfw no storm shadow
>tfw no sky flash
>tfw no brimstone
>tfw no comfy 2 seater ops having bants with your WSOP
>tfw no swing wing
I might just kill myself when they get retired. It'll feel worse than when the Harriers went even though they needed to go

>playing a simulation game
for what purpose?

What do you mean that FSX runs like dogshit?
I've came around x-plane some 4 years ago, didn't play FS since...
The thing it really gets is how x-plane is so good at flight model simulation, lots of details make it pretty close to real thing, for example like the cushion effect you get when approaching the runway.

For scenery there is pretty good high def mesh, and in fact, just yesterday I started running into out memory issues with the New Zealand Pro scenery, which is just amazing.
Plenty of user made airports around too, the only issue is aircraft, which is harder to make, but on the other hand the professional made ones just look absolutely amazing.

Downloading it now, lets give it another shot.

Any addons you recommend?

I really want to play Strike Fighters 2, but I feel so guilty playing it.

Help me, /simg/

what torrent are you getting?

Big hint: you do really only need the first dvd, the other are scenery...
What you can do is get only the first dvd so you can install the base game, then download the updater, it will continue to work if you have the 'st dvd mounted.

Then you can either get the better scenery for the region you want:
alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/
which is much better than default, or if it doesn't have that region, you can just use the updater to download necessary regions on demand

Yeah, i was getting DVD1 first. I need your advice, though, do you need the rest of the scenery to install the one you linked?

Somone post smug girls i need more for when the slavboos return with their delusions about being relevant.