/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Re-Factor Your Code Edition.

> Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

> Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/767821/is-else-if-faster-than-switch-case
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation#Systems_vs._Apps_Hungarian
twitter.com/AnonBabble

soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

context on op image please

Does anyone have any examples quick and juicy transitions? Either to cutscenes or different levels

why no recap picture as the OP?

From 2 threads ago

I know. I've just been gutting him for (You)s. Got quite a haul tonight.

>the branch predictor's face when

Nth for Amateur Bullying and Shitposting General

reminds me of some of the code I see at work

>System Shock Kickstarter makes over $1 million.
>System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine.
>Unity
Reminder that using Unity is fine

>had to drop my project for a few months due to life shit
>finally have time and energy enough to work on it again
>remember how awful coming back to an old project was from the last few times I've done it
>dreading having no clue how the fuck my code works

>open up the project
>everything is either clearly written or well commented
>the few bits of spaghetti have notes on how to fix them
>some of the code is even better than I remembered
>great, long-term to-do list
>pick right back up where I was

Holy shit this is the best feel. Guys, I think I'm actually getting better at this.

I was so worried, but this is amazing.

Waiting for furry dog girls to be posted.

Nice blog

joint constraints

hot dick

>gamedevs
>giving a fuck about machine level execution

>it's a googum redefining every word in the dictionary rerun episode
oh boy

Thanks. You can read more about it on my tumblr: ____go fuck yourself____

It hasn't changed a bit around here. I'm not sure whether that's good or terrible.

"Successful"
"Paid"

yes

SHOULDA USED GAME MAKER KIDDO

Nth for dev and anime can't be separated

What are you working on?
I hope your life shit wasn't too bad, and you have a new batch of enthusiasm to get your game made.
Question is, is it 2D or 3D?
If it's 2D you should give up forever

My good gentlesir, you must be looking for an echo chamber hugbox

Reddit is that way >>>/reddit/

Congrats, user! Shit like that is really motivating.

fag

How'd you know, he is the Anubis dev after all

how many is too many if elif statements?

Look above. See the post frequency when there is dev questions
See the post frequency when there is drama.

It's way past the yanks' bed time famalam

>open microsoft visual studio community
>download e-book head first
>hello world
What now?

Who cares? The devs here are NEETs

There's nothing wrong with a lot, really.

There's a point where you'd be better off finding some sort of way to divide them up in a more meaningful/readable manner.

Too many could also be a red flag that you're approaching a problem the wrong way, though.

Now draw the rest of the owl, I mean, just make the game.

thanks for the advice. I'm working on keyboard controls and I just noticed how long the list is getting.

Anyone know a good Webm->gif converter?

Keep going.

i use xmedia recode

A switch statement may be faster.

stackoverflow.com/questions/767821/is-else-if-faster-than-switch-case

I'm coding in python. Would a dictionary work just as well?

You got more of that pixel art?

>a guy who used to call Putin a blondie dwarf in the 90s got blown up in the car just now
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

but what is polymorphism

I don't use Python, but if dictionary means the same thing as in C#, it seems you're talking about an unrelated data structure.

Can someone post visible progress

Please

yeah dictionary is the correct solution since youre just mapping a->b

There's no switch statement in Python (because its considered "harmful"), so dictionaries are often used in place.

Everyone stop what you're doing and post your keyboard movement code.

I want to have some laughs.

Observe.

1/2

Too much shitposters itt, so people will ignore it exactly like they did when I posted on the previous thread.
Take the chance to dev without distractions and post progress when they went to sleep.

2/2
(Game isn't about planes, I just built something in the builder for giggles.)

Its not so bad yet

[worried laughter]

Well, that's not entirely correct.
This is, technically speaking, what the movement code is referring to.

it's not brilliant

You better have an optional skin/DLC that adds anime girl decals.
It's what all the cool games do

And people say unity is a bad engine, look how clean that is.

An OOP meme trap to lure in unsuspecting newbies until all they can do is hang around OOP discussion forums arguing about what would be the most OOP thing to do in any given situation and never actually do any real programming.

Beware the OOP. Small doses are incredibly useful and healthy, and have made programming today so much easier than it used to be. But once you start going down the rabbit hole, you'll never stop...

Anyone here have experience in both Monogame and Love2D that can make a comparison between the two?

I get that they are both frameworks but I can't really tell what either actually does.

We do plan to allow players to just paste whatever nonsense they want to the panels, no reason to really not to.

ebin :DDD

I did forget to normalize though.

>thrusters
Oh thank fuck. Please tell me the thrust is physically simulated. Please tell me I'm not alone.

>Start up gamemaker
>google some tutorials to get started because I forgot everything
>everything is a 15 minute video with some sperg talking really slow

God damn I just need a refresher is there any good written up tutorials anymore?

>that indentation style
what the FUCK

Sure is, mate.

I WANT ALL CODE MONKEYS TO STOP POSTING CODE

use modulo for override

My god, this pleases me. Post gameplay?

k.

I have no idea what to add to make my game unique; or is it good enough as it is to start shilling fulltime?

your particles are awful
hideous
work on those

what does this mean? 1

Looks alright, user. You could try adding armor angling mechanics like in World of tanks, haven't seen a 2d game try that. Higher calibre, faster round = more penetration. Higher angle = more force directed away and more armor to penetrate.

Good simple stuff.

>open in mpv
>play at 2x speed

>game development thread
>upset about programming
Spot the nodev

Bad particles, ship looks like something from a kids show. Needs more lighting fx

Any low level language with a decent compiler should convert either cascading elseifs or a switch into a jump tree. Stop optimizing for performance and optimize for maintainability, until profiling highlights actual performance concerns.

This itch cover gif is my spirit animal.

I think you were memeing me, but this is actually working quite well. I totally forgot youtube had that speed function. Thanks.

I have never used both, but here's how I see it.

Monogame is a library for C#, which helps you make games. Much like XNA.
Löve is an actual program, written in C++ with the SDL multimedia library, the Lua library and the Box2D included. This software thus can read Lua scripts. You can check how to name your scripts and functions (like love.run(), love.draw(), love.load() or whatever) on the wiki, to make it readable by Löve. Many engines can read Lua scripts, because after a while it's a pain in the ass to compile after each tiny bit of change, so they rather have some logic written is scripts. Like Cry engine does this, WoW, etc. Löve is basically just this, so if you know C++ and Lua, you can basically can build it by yourself.

Looks pretty damn sweet. What sort of nonsense are you doing to make break-off work properly? I'm just holding everything together with rigidbodies and some simple math.

look up bitwise operations

No memeing, I always do it for tutorials, especially the really slow ones

Why are your cascading else ifs drifting inwards? Is your IDE doing that? Try putting "else if" on a single line.

Systems Hungarian is the worst Hungarian. Do you really need to be reminded between integers and strings? If you're going to Hungarian, use Apps Hungarian. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation#Systems_vs._Apps_Hungarian

>Is your IDE doing that?
Nope, you can else if in GM like did

I'm not good at drawing, so the ships will have to stay for now, but what's wrong with the particles? Maybe the fire particles could be better, but are the flak explosions bad too?
That could be good; it would add more depth to the game.

Sure, but he was asking about the extremes, and I linked to a source where people probably knew what they were talking about!

Don't listen to the silly anons that think games need to be pretty before its main mechanics are done. I think, actually, having a choice of guns and calibres with different gun handling and effects is a great idea. Just that alone might be enough. More in depth; having the ability to trade mobility with armor to be able to bounce more kinds of weapon's fire.

For one you're using the same sprite for every particle. Your explosions have no flash, your fire doesn't behave like real fire, you have no sparks or impact effects. Those bullets flying past look terrible, its just a yellow line, similarly your smoke is meh it's just an expanding circle sprite. Your player death explosion is terrible it's circles shrinking.

You should start using multiple particle types per effect, an explosion for example should have a flash, fire, smoke and sparks all as seperate systems that come together to look good.

I can't seem to be bothered to start working on my project ideas. Just keep playing games and watching shit.

Put down the computer and get out a pen and some paper. Draw your shit, every little thing, down to the menus.

I need to replace the club with something more visually interesting

Not him, but I always found this to be more dreaming than planning. Never helped me. I'd like to learn to "design" before coding, but just sketching shit doesn't work for me.

A fish.

Having customizable weapons might be a bit much, but having different projectiles work differently would be good.
Wouldn't having all of these different particles use a lot of cpu time? The game uses a lot of cpu as it is; I'm not sure if adding more effects would be worth it.

trouted x------D

I was thinking a bigger block of granite

Another enemy that he picked up. Bonus points if its a weaker fodder enemy.