/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Graphic Violence edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159518.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My broker is an odd one, or at least, the craftsdwarf thinks she is.

Question, for adventurer house building, it says its irreversible. Does that mean the house cannot be added to once begun, or can I just work on one room at a time?

>trade a few lumps of copper and balls of wood for gems and steel every year
>do they call me Oddom the Dealmaker?
>design hundreds of urists of masterful roads
>do they call me Oddom the Waylayer?
>make dozens of masterful engravings
>do they call me Oddom the Stonespeaker?
>but you fuck ONE panda man...

Pretty sure that just means that creating/naming the site is irreversible.

Some migrants have arrived.

Am vampire. Prepared to be drank. :3

Urist McBonecarver has created an artifact!

>moving fortress parts
>cages full of dangerous beasts spring from the earth and release them upon the invaders

>Store cages on a retracting bridge
>Retract
>Falling damage kills most of the invaders
>Creatures are loose, eat them, and leave

Mustard gas, rain erosion, and trenches when?

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159518.0

wow, neat. Wonder if this is a weird coincidence or something

My favorite thing about this general is the optimism about the game itself. I could just lurk the threads all day so I could read everyone's stories

bump

I love goblin faction names. My two favorite so far were The Seduction of Holes and The Hatred of Women.

Those groups are only in world gen or can show up in Fortress?

what waste of time to play such a shitty game.

I cant believe that some people actually think this is so deep.

I think they are just world gen.

It's not deep at all unless you're gonna build a dungeon and if you are go do it in shit that's made for it.

What hurt your feelings, fren?

someone hit me up, how do i get rid of the fucking childrens? im total noob, so the easiest way would be nice tho

in one of the inits files, either inits or d_inits I forget, you can set max children and max children percentage to 0

Put them on the drawbridge via burrows and FLIP DAT SUWEETCH EEEGOR!

if i set this up, the childrens will disappear in my current game?

Nopers, just controls migration and procreation in the future

>lakes

>any water

I'm on the military screen, in the scheduling submenu, and there's an option like this
"u : inactive = uniformed"
Since most of the options here are usually greyed out if they aren't chosen, or white if they are, doe this mean that during their off time they'll still wear their uniforms, or that I need to press "u" to make them wear uniforms during their down time?

Is alchemy ever going to do something? Will animal carers and fish dissectors ever be welcomed with joy and relief in a fort? Will I ever be able to actually quit being a little bitch and explore a tomb?

Next update pls deliver.

~

It's displaying their current setting, so yeah, leave it alone and they will remain in uniform.

>~
What did you mean by that?

>Is alchemy ever going to do something?
I in a year maybe.

If I break an aqueduct, and make a channel that reaches the edge of the map, will the water leave the map through there, or will I just overflow the map?

Chilluns are great. Like 60% make it to peasant-hood without a mood. Then you only have to make a couple armors or weapons then melt them for free useful artifacts.

Animal care would be great if toady ever enabled their health care and need to eat shit. dissectors just needs more extracts which we'll get more of when he finally does venom application.

Long as you're friendly to undead I think you're fine. Do it late in your adventurer's life and search walk to no get noscoped.

Can't Channel the map edge and you can't smooth soil. If it's rock or you casted obsidian above the surface you're good to go. The aquifer article has a shit ton on the matter.

>Can't Channel the map edge and you can't smooth soil. If it's rock or you casted obsidian above the surface you're good to go. The aquifer article has a shit ton on the matter.
I won't channel the map edge, it already has a part that's in a depression.

It'll flow off it's z-level then yeah. Make sure you setup a raising bridge so you can dam it when it's not needed.

How much lag will this massive waterfall cause?

>Chilluns are great. Like 60% make it to peasant-hood without a mood. Then you only have to make a couple armors or weapons then melt them for free useful artifacts.
what

> Like 60% make it to peasant-hood without a mood.

That's the problem.
I already have veteran military armed to the teeth.
I need more legendary artisans.
Not more FPS waste. I'm down to 50 FPS now. Fortress pop: 117.

That looks pretty cool. I never got waterfall in an evil area.

I got a massive surface aquifer up on something like a hill.
Once I puncture it all hell will brake loose.

It will break your dick

If they mature without having had a mood, they have no competing moodable skills like migrants do so you only have to put a little metal into them and eventually they kick out an artifact weapon or armor.

For what? You can just train them up over 2 years with one of your master soldiers, shoot up wildlife, assign them light armor, then have them learn whatever. They work harder, faster, and better after the delay and your entire fort being capable. If that's too long, you can double up assignments and alternate half on sparring, half on crafting for whatever time period you like.

>I'm down to 50 fps
I'm down to 7. 200 civilians, 100 others and 40 pets/livestock. Tell me your specs and which version are you playing.

i7 2600
AMD Radeon HD 6800 (Don't know how big a part this plays in this game)
4GB DDR3

Version:0.42.06

Certainly better than what I'm rocking. I'm gonna burrow the shit out of my next fort. I think pathfinding is killing it the most.

Did you try turning off features to improve FPS?
I'm playing on pocket world, disabled temperature calculations and weather.

I tried the burrowing a couple of times.
Got tired of burrowing every single thing.
I think I'll just limit my population to 80 next time. The number of useful dorfs never goes past 60 for me anyway. I can do with less fodder and more animal control.

Ran into a "buff monster," a scaly slug covered in noxious secretions that I think is a demon. Never seen one of those before, except as rulers in 30.xx. I don't want to stay and find out what its poison does.

I should also limit myself to one industry.

pic:my fucking storage floor.

I didn't turn off the temp thing, doesn't that mess with stuff like catching fire, or just with whether should your river freeze during winter and so on?

that's pretty fucking uneficient senpai

So, I never get to understand the limits this game offer to mods, what can you exactly mod in the game? what do you can't?

You should make the storage rooms 9 tiles tall and 13 tiles wide to made them AESTHETIC

>that's pretty fucking uneficient(,) senpai
How do I make it more efficient? One huge storage with shitload of bins?

Wouldn't installing a square texture pack be easier?

Sure, but that would be too easy.

>Sure, but that would be too easy.
I feel you.

Not him, but there doesn't seem to be a clear flow between your stockpiles and workshops. It's not that serious really.

Oooh that. Yeah it takes a bit longer to make stuff.

There was better efficiency while I still had enough space for it.
Then I got too much stuff.

It does, but if I get to still play somewhat smoothly after 5 years, I'm ready to make that sacrifice.

Anyone ever see a general hell rift that is opened without PC intervention? I found a cluster of at least five demons of various sorts, who apparently killed each other until only one remained (according to legends mode, I didn't stick around).

There's hell!? Lemme wiki that real quick.
AAAAW SWEET!

Why wiki? You're already here

Yep. Its been there forever, but I've literally never actually seen just... demons rampaging about the countryside unless dwarves freed them.

The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum... shadow and flame.

I've been observing the goblins lately, and I see war parties circling around but mostly staying at home. After closer inspection, I found and killed a second ice demon, and now I'm finding a group of goblins being utterly destroyed by a couple of nasty poisonous, winged snail looking demons.

Deep.

How do I use the marksdwarves? Do I order them to kill or to station? I thought it was kill, but just now one of my shooters charged a cyclops with a crossbow. now, it's been a minute or two, but he has around 40 bolts in his quiver, though I still think he had ammo left when he was fighting.

either works, but I like to station them around a corner from the enemy's path, so that they come into line of sight 10-15 tiles away and unleash a barrage of bolts all at once, rather than spreading out, firing from distance, running out of bolts, and then charging into melee like retards
if they're in the field and not behind fortifications, ideally, keep regular militia dwarves between marksdwarves and the enemy at all times. they WILL charge in at some point if it's at all possible, and you don't want them to be the prime target

It's from Lord of the Rings, you dummy.

I know, you dummy. I just made a shitty pun, you dummy.

Fuck, don't cry...

Why can't I get more mercenaries? I turn away at least 4 entertainers every month.

Because you don't seem to want visitors?

Are you microsoft trying to retain xbox fans? Because you're playing your role perfectly.

>in a year maybe.

Ahahahah.

>mfw untamed wilds

>oh shit yeah, I'll get interesting wild animals to tame, and great big things to hunt!

>kea man
>kea man
>kea woman
>kea man
>kea woman
>kea man

sux2bu

>Tolon Stickyfingers, kea man poet is visiting.

>caravan comes
>no axe but some iron bars
Fucking finally, my woodcutter and carpenter almost became full-time haulers

getting ready to play again after a couple years away. What does the OP mean by dwarf therapist being out of date? Can I still use it? Also, best texture pack so I can see dwarves instead of symbols.

The newest version of DF doesn't keep all the info in the old places in the RAM, so they gotta figure out where the variables are first, and then they can release a new version of the rapist

out of hundreds, I've never had a visitor that wasn't a dwarf/human/elf/goblin
I keep hoping. my current world's most populous human town has 23 hamster people and a nearby forest retreat has 46 peach-faced lovebird people, but I guess they aren't interested in travelling

so should I wait a short time to get back in, I'm not really trying to relearn the game without it. Or is this one of those things that could take forever for someone to do.

just play with a lower population cap or something so it's easier to handle. the current version is p. cool

I have 200 dorfs right now, playing without the rapist is fun, but in the dorfy kind of way.

Just jump in, you appreciate the tools more without them and stop using them as crutches.

good point user, I'll start my fun cycles this weekend. Thanks guys!

>Human Caravan didn't left
>Dorf Caravan came , wagon couldnt get to Depot

I hope human merchants are not stuck.

I set up a silk farm for the giant cave spider I caught. So I placed his cage in the desired spot, hooked it up to a lever and pulled it. I placed a cat in front of his fortifications at first, and nothing was happening. So I ordered a squad in the web room, still nothing. I used V, he isn't there. I serach for him in the animals list, he isn't there, he's in deceased. I zoom into his corps, it zooms to where his cage was before I deconstructed it with a lever. Where the hell is my spider?

Could he have gotten squished by the cage and the mechanism? the description of the corps in the stocks says There is some ichor all over him, but there is no body.

It's neither, I returned to before I opened the cage and he's already listed as dead with his body gone.

I've had a crow man scholar and a gorlak poet once, but that was it. That was before gorlaks could open doors so I have to wonder how he even managed to move around.

I have beetle man bard who become my resident.

I've never seem this relationship before. Is my Duchess a former slave?

Former apprentice. She probably studied goblin poetry or something.

That makes sense. I saw the goblin name and thought she was baby-snatched or something.
It would have made a nice backstory.

Is it possible for male dwarves not to have beards in their physical description?

So how do you tell a Dwarf's sexuality?
I'm reading the descriptions of my Dwarves and there isn't really anything that stands out.

You can view it via The Rapist

if I build an artifact cage as bati constructed furniture, is it indestructible, unless it gets burned or melted?

Yes

LNP or newest release?