MKIII Supra

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on the third gen Toyota Supra?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zUpDcDfoQLQ
speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/10-reason-mk3-supras-are-garbage/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not as good as the BMW 8 series, which looks identical and comes with a v12

1G is shit, 7M is shit, 1JZ is good

Looks nice

Handles badly because lolheavy

Fairly reliable

Nice interior

Cheap but usually thrashed a little

Good car for those who are graduating from a slower or more normal car to their first 'real' car

>1G is shit, 7M is shit, 1JZ is good
Didn't they only sell the 1J in Japan?

Also, how moddable is the 7M Turbo?

You smoking crack nigga?
7m is fine if you put the head on correctly.

1J was in the JDM only 2.5 GT Twin Turbo R

Depending on where you are this either either incredibly attainable or impossible to get.

7Ms mod fairly well, doesn't stop them from being an overall bad and gutless engine though as beyond a certain point they begin to show their limitations. There's also not a lot of parts available for them.

> Unreliable POS
> somehow better

I actually prefer the look of it over the 3rd gen. I'd like to have a 2jz-gte swap done to one.

>lolheavy

Thats every GT car ever.

Love them. My favorite generation Supra.

I'd like to get one for a road trip car. My MR2 is great, but the gearing is really narrow. It sucks on the highway. I imagine the Supra would be a great touring car.

I 2JZGTE swapped mine last summer, it's a blast

Just after I got it, about 2 and a half years ago:

During the swap, with my old man's Mk. IV also being worked on

Love the look of them, but expect it to be trashed around by the previous boyracer owners. The engines are notorious for warped heads and blown headgaskets.

Just after everything was running and working well. Tons of fun to be had in a 2JZ Mk.III

NOICE
I'm currently looking for a project and I can't decide if I want to 2jz swap a 2nd gen or turbo a Lexus sc300
I'm leaning toward the sc because most aftermarket supra stuff should bolt right up

looking to buy one soon. 7mgte is quite reliable up to 400-500hp IF the headgasket has been correctly torqued. Also i heard its quite reliable. Cons are its heavy af but i plan on doing diy weight reduction. Maybe a 1jz swap or if u can afford it 2jz. Think it looks like absolute sex if u ask me

1j > 7m

How heavy are these things, anyway?
Wikipedia says the manual models are between 3,000-3,400 lbs, which doesn't seem too bad.

Nice SW20

As a followup to this question (different user here) how difficult is it to make them handle reasonably well? I'm not expecting it to suddenly be LOLRACECAR but would some sway bars and slightly stiffer springs make it turn decently?

That's a MkII Supra. This is a MkIII thread.

Also while I see some vague similarities no one with eyes is going to confuse the two.

Nice troll, 2/10 for getting me to reply

1.21Niggawatts

>that little pig nose on the Beemer
Gross

Bumping for answers to these.

owning this you'll always live in the shadow of mk.IV

Heavy and very shitty handling

Beyond throwing the interior trim on, some chassis bracing and properly tuned suspension you are going to pay out of the ass for a lot of work.

The car will remain heavy no matter what you do to it unless you strip it and start drilling holes/changing panels

the bimmer looks way cleaner

It does look nicer though. The mark IV's front end is so ugly it ruins the rest of the car, which would otherwise look really nice.

>be 2010 or so
>be 15
>on my way to the train station every day in a warehouse yard is a rusting supra mk 2 or 3 (can't remember) with no tires or wheel and covered in dust and shit

mfw every time

stop car abuse

>7M
>Shit

If you torque the head right they can make 1000hp on stock internals

>1000 hp
>stock internals

lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=zUpDcDfoQLQ

>1000hp 7m
>start engine
>new head gasket
>allow engine to reach operating temperature
>new head gasket
>pull out of driveway
>new head gasket

>If you torque the head right
People keep saying this. Does it imply that from the factory it was installed poorly? Or that most people fuck it up later on?

It was undertorqued from the factory, by like 30ftlbs

>pistons
>rods
>cams
>valves
>stock internals

speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/10-reason-mk3-supras-are-garbage/

Everything you need to know

No, the 7M just likes to blow head gaskets all the time, the whole 'tighten it properly' thing is just because they know that some idiot who inevitably will replace his will not torque properly

It wasn't under torqued from factory. The wrong torque was listed in the service manual.

Good to know.

After fixing the headgasket, is it reasonable to make ~300hp out of a stock unit just from tuning and upping the boost?
The MKIII is heavy, but 300hp/3500lbs is about where cars like the Ecoboost Mustang, V6 Camaro, Genesis Coupe, WRX, etc. land.

>Literally just bad taste all around

Literally the exact reason why you shouldn't get an mk3 garbage chassi that needs to be swapped to be any good. At that point you might as well swap a more competent chassi, why swap a horrid turd.

agreed