Consumer Mentality

So, people here talk a lot about being a 'consumerist monkey' and how it keeps one poor. I personally fucking hate the drone mentality, too.

How far do you guys take this idea? What was the last nice thing you bought for yourself and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/ps2-homebrew/emulators-collection-roms-pgen-snes-station-fceultra-scummvm-part-12/
hgtv.com/shows/tiny-house-hunters/episodes/going-tiny-to-travel
cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I hate this too. The last thing or things, I should say I bought for myself were absolute essentials I needed for my new apartment. I already had everything I could possibly fit in my car when moving back from a different city, so I really only needed a couch, dining set, microwave, TV, and I wanted a new laptop. Everything was carefully researched and priced, I got really great deals on some really nice stuff, the furniture were floor models, plus on sale, microwave was refurb, TV was brand new in box (40" Samsung LED) but seller was extremely motivated to sell and laptop was used but again extremely motivated to sell, and didn't know what they had and I got a $4000 upgraded Dell Precision m4800 for less than $100. So all in all I got all new stuff for under $1000 and my apartment is complete and looks great! Anytime I need or want to buy something I can spend weeks on researching for the best possible deal, I find it more satisfying to get really great deals on all my stuff than to get the "latest and greatest" most expensive stuff.

I buy clothes sparingly, car repairs, some nice dinners out every now and then... I don't buy dumb shit like the latest iPhone as soon as it comes out.

Just about everything I buy is used like my TV, vehicle, iphone etc... Really only things it seems I purchase lately are for productivity. New desk, tools, etc.

Have so many people I know that always have the latest and greatest. Frustrates me sometimes wondering why I still feel broke when I work my ass off and make decent bank.

I work 2 jobs. A decent job managing a start up exotic car dealership, and a shit job working as a cashier at a gas station. I use the shit job to pay all my expenses and have fun, I save every single penny from the decent job which is about 2200 per month. Sometimes I don't buy much and I end up saving from the decent job and shit job.

The only problem is I work 7 days a week and get about 4 days off a month.

Last thing i bought for myself was a ceramic coffee grinder and an Aeropress. I'm not willing to give up my morning coffee so I made a compromise with myself to reduce the cost by around 80%.
Other then that I'd say drinking is my next greatest optional expenditure. If i drank less socially, I'd probably save even more.

Now my gf on the other hand, she is your a-typical "it was on sale" consumer. I'm slowly getting her under control but she doesn't have access to my accounts so it really only affects her ability to save.

>work 7 days a week
>4 days off a month

So...you work 6 days a week?

im not very materialistic, mostly because i grew up fairly poor, not poverty, but lower middle class verging on wahtever the next step down is

because of that in my adult life I value every dollar I have and tend to scrutinize purchases before actually making them.

For the most part, as long as I have acceptable quality clothes, a car that runs without being scary and has AC, my cellphone, and my computer(s), I'm good.

The last "nice thing" i bought for myself, assuming you mean something fancy just cause it was neat and not a necessity/lifestyle requirement (aka im an online marketer so i -need- a computer)

hmm...

For Halloween last year I bought a Friday the 13th hockey mask (movie accurate) and the various materials needed to paint it. was awesome if I do say so myself (pic related)

I could have bought a finished piece, but got a blank that is literally just a sheet of plastic molded, not even cut out yet. I did that both to save money and because I wanted to "make it" myself

I've never been a consumer, and I've always detested them

it's a combination of
1. instinctive/compulsive purchasing
2. cannot independently value anything, relies on RRP, social cues or sprucing
3. little understanding of the market, doesn't know how to shop around, bargain or buy at the right time
4. purchases for extrinsic value
5. lack of critical thinking
6. unable to accurately compare value. sale prices, long term costs etc

It's not the same as being materialistic, some people are materialistic while still being shrewd and critical purchasers

yesterday my mother said to me "I'm unemployed, I need printer ink to print resumes"
she should have just gone to a copy shop, instead she channeled her anxiety into purchasing

then she goes to the office supply shop, and sees that ink costs as much as a new printer

I tell her she doesn't need a new printer, just new ink

the sales clerk comes over and tells her how laser ink is better value in the long run, and how she should "invest" in a laser printer

I tell my mom that it's only better value if she is printing 1000+ copies, and that the ink is priced to drive people to the expensive printer, at which point the laser ink will be priced up

she says "but user, I save money this way and the laser printer is on special"

I almost disowned her
she needed $3 of printing done, and almost got a $600 printer

that is a consumer

>1-6

holy shit i never thought about it broken down like this. it's scary because I have a friend who is an impulse buyer and he meets every rule you laid out.

this guy lives on less than 15k a year and will do stupid shit like: For weeks strait he will buy lobster every few days because he gets on a kick and discovers the local market has it on sale for 11.99/lbs from 16.99/lbs

I own a business, it's my job to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year.

this month I spent $500 on advertising, mostly with local school athletics programs. $1200 on supplies, $300 on gasoline, $1100 on tires, $16000 on payroll, $1500 on business meals, $500 on business travel- hotels. I bought insurance, about $300 worth. I paid something like $450 for depreciation of my home and payment of utilities for business use of the home.

Once you get past being an employee you'll find spending money isn't something to regret or resent. It's just your job. I'd rather pump money into my biz or my local community than pay taxes on it and call it my own.

personally the nicest thing I bought recently was a cruise for my family and some snorkeling gear and a new dive camera for my kid. A few thousand bucks, but not on a thing. I'd rather buy experiences than things.

i actually disagree with you on the later half of this post though.

im in IT and have had the "printer" discussion with many customers.

Now, before I continue, I will say this: With her being unemployeed, now may not be the best time to consider "spend now save later" for higher cost items

with that said:

-going to a copy shop is retarded imo. 5 bucks for 5 pages, id prefer to spend the $xx on inkjet ink (I actually have no idea what inkjet ink costs nowdays) because for a little more at least now you have ink at your house and can print 500-1000 pages before worrying again, even if she is unemployed.

-lazer printers DO save money hand over fist -IN THE LONG RUN-

-being sold on a 600 dollar printer is truly an unintelligent consumer, glad you were able to curb that mistake.

when I setup my home business I realized I would need to print stuff. being who i am and knowing the things i know (am in IT), i knew a lazer printer was a sound choice for money saving.

I got a used brother printer off craigslist for dollars and bought a new drum and ink toner for it, i think they were 30 for the drum and 40 for the ink

I've been running it since 2010 and its still going strong. I print anywhere from 1-10 pages a day, and still have never had to replace the drum or toner. if I remember right It was good for 5,000 pages

365 * 6 = 2190/10,000 pages so far, I have a ways to go.

tl;dr I think lazer printers are a great investment if you do any amount of printing above zero

I have a friend who earns probably close to $150k/yr and doesn't have a cent to his name. Doesn't own a home, doesn't own anything you'd consider an asset. No passive income, no investments. Lives pay-check to pay-check and is always in debt or has CC debt. Lives pretty much the exact same life as he did when he was earning $50k a year with nothing to show for it.

Doesn't matter how much you earn, you can always find a means to piss it all away.

where I am it's 22c a black and white print, 80c a colour

if your printer cost $100, it would be
print shop cost- (domestic paper cost+ domestic ink cost +/- time cost/saving)

you have to print how many thousand pages to get a net saving?
and you have to do that within the lifespan of the printer/ink

sure if you were running an office or had special needs it'd be a no brainer.
for most people it's over-investment, they would be better buying a new oven or something

where I am, the ink for a jet printer cost more than the whole printer; and the new printer comes with ink!

it's the old sodastream (tm) scam of low entry cost, high maintenance cost
our office shops have deals going where they arn't allowed to stock generic ink, only branded ink
in exchange they must get a discount or something
it's anti-competative, but it flies

if that's how he wants to spend his money, that's his bisiness

if he's living beyond his means, it's an issue; but a seperate issue to consumerism

if you friend walks past the video game store, the clothes store, and ends up buying lobster I dont see the issue

if he were buying lobster from the most expensive place in town, or only bought it to show off, or fell for fake specials, or bought more than he really wanted then sure; he's a consumer

but maybe the kid just likes lobster, cut him some slack haha

It's weird how the market for printers is like one big scam. I bought ex office printer, ink, and toner for cheap. After a while the printer refused to print because the toner had already been used for 5000 pages. Bought a chip from China for 80c to trick the printer into thinking I got new toner and it works fine.

Women shouldn't be allowed to work, They just want financial independence so they can be single mothers and whore around.

They also take away jobs from males that actually need them.

>Frustrates me sometimes wondering why I still feel broke when I work my ass off and make decent bank.
No kidding. I don't have cable, or a new car, or an iPhone, or a Starbucks habit, or a flat screen, but fuck if I don't feel poor as shit when I want to spend $20 on a figure. I don't know how people afford that other stuff because even IT jobs out here don't pay that well.

A 40inch full HD last month

Haven't had a proper television since 2006 so I figured it was time to reward myself

I also fly on vacations and go to festivals at least once a year, twice a year these last 3-4 years

Fuck hoarding money, you just end up as an old geezer with zero experiences and lots of money you don't have the health to spend

>or a flat screen

It's the current fucking year. Why are people STILL talking like fucking flat screen TVs (literally the only ones you can even fucking buy any more) are a luxury?

My 40 something inch cost like 150 quid from Asda/Walmart.

>What was the last nice thing you bought for yourself and why?
I bought a 13 acre lot.

Because it will rise a lot in value within the next 10 years since they are about to renovate the two adjacent cities which are both at 5min driving distance.

My uncle saved every penny his whole life
Only bought used Fords
Was the cheapest guy in the world

He retires from work
>month later gets a stroke
>gets dementia from it
>couple months later is bed ridden
>passed away a few months ago

Never spent a single cent, instead its going to his wife he hated and his son who moved 3000 miles away.

Don't be a kike about saving but also don't be a dumbass that buys every iphone and call of duty and subscribes to Netflix hbo etc

Like most things in life

Moderation

Last thing i bought for myself.

Vasectomy yesterday.

Owe owe owwww....

Worth it...

Fuck having my life ruined with a litter of no minding faggots and a wife that hates me even more.

Me too user.

Just think.

Was sooo jeslous of my buddy. Always had cool shit. Latest everything.

Well, now hes upside down and a pro athelete blowing money hand over fist.

Money management and financial intelligence is my key to happiness.

Soon it will be my turn to buy the newest mustang gt or ford raptor with a blower because i have allocated a percentage of my investments to include that expense.

Best of all it will make the payments or the cash to buy.

FUCK I CANT WAIT.

Very very nice

It was a video game over three months ago, everything I have buying between that were essentials.

>Fuck hoarding money, you just end up as an old geezer with zero experiences and lots of money you don't have the health to spend
Ah, but the old geezer with savings gets to die from cardiac arrest rather than starvation!

Thai massage this last month, because of a work injury. Still got fired due to "performance" issues.

Before that a new smartphone almost a year ago, because my Nexus 4 stopped powering on due to being dropped one too many times.

this!

hi Jason

please stop talking so much about printers

Ice cream.

I buy everything used, old but still usable, I use pay as you go for my cell no data, I have the cheapest internet in my area, still pretty good though 10MB.

I haven't bought myself new clothes in 3 years, I did buy new shoes for work last year, I only buy used vehicles and work on them myself so I don't pay shop fees. I work in a kitchen and eat free there to save money on food.

I hate consumerism and I hate spending money.

last thing i bought was a ps2 i softmoded with mcboot and the memorycard.
then i downloaded this theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/ps2-homebrew/emulators-collection-roms-pgen-snes-station-fceultra-scummvm-part-12/ it cost me less then 5 dollars for the ps2 and the dvd with games was free! i hardly spend any money because im saving up enough money so i can go live in a new country that is warmer then were i live, maybe some of you can suggest a good place to live but not thailand i have been wondering about australien but i know it is hard to get i.
I want to do something different in my life help save animals, i dont care about materialistic stuff or money , i have alot of money i earned and saved for my old age, and now i got this thing that i want to move to another country, simply away from this cold place i just cant take it anylonger, the winter and dark times for like 7 or 8 months and what summer then, no summer here...perhaps its chemtrails i dont know i just want to explodere earth and dont freeze and its boring here perhaps i want to move to italy for starters and maybe end in hawai or australien im not sure usa or canada is for me i have considered checking out south america argentina also.. never europe again

I'd like to know more about this. How were you able to replace said chip?

>Dell Precision m4800 < $100

mother of god

Last thing I bought was a new glass desk of Amazon at a 230$ discount. To be more productive.

Taiwan is very comfy.

> m4800 for $100
Jesus christ

Did you find them on craigslist?

fucking this, happened to my uncle. He saved up almost 10m and a year into retirement went braindead, so now the money goes to his drug addict children where they will overdose and die. it's a damn shame.

I think that this has infected 4cahn as well.

lit talks about reading as if its some virtuous enriching thing. Reading 5 hours a day is great. Reading 6 hours a day is even better. Yet how did plato or any author get good? By actually doing shit. This "reading is virtuous" shit only gets pushed by educationalists wanting dumb people to become literate. And companies who want to sell books

What figs you got senpai?

I use to spend money like an idiot but then totally redid my expenses

Cut out weed and coffee complete. I save like 100$+ a month

Cut down heavily on drinking and eating out - 200$+ a month

Also I get cheap flights now instead of expensive last minute ones

Going to cut out Apple Music soon. Only thing I really spend money on is high quality songs and DJ gear because that's my biggest hobby and I want to get better

Oh also I only try to buy the bare minimum clothes too. Thinking about switching from glasses to contacts. It would save me 400$ a year

> Exotic car dealership

How to get into this? Doesnt the Internet pretty much take your job away?

I have a friend who was homeless living in a hotel with her disabled father, they were evicted from their previous house after the rent increased and they couldnt afford it.
She is often dead ass broke and her stupid mcdonalds job only pays her $100-200 a week
I just managed to get her a private rental, and I helped her move in and even spent hours installing a small garden to make it nice.
She has barely been at this place for a week and she already tried to get an $80 a month contract for the new iPhone 7. Keep in mind she couldn't even afford her $10 a month theme park pass, and she is dead ass broke every week before she gets paid and has no money to put food in her fridge and relies on freinds buying her fast food while shes out.
And the phone hasn't even been out for 3 days and no one's had one long enough to review it properly.
I tried so hard to tell her that she isn't in a financially stable enough position to afford this and she needs to actually start saving money rather than living paycheck to paycheck

thanks :) i posted it on fb and in various places here and got shockingly little reaction, i really thought I did a good job.

Friends like it in person though

sup bb

sry to derail but figured id share - before and after of a different mask. Before going to work on the movie-accurate one i bought a few cheap chinese ones to teach myself how to paint and try different styles i was considering

If I'm lucky I'm able to get those 4 days off.

It's a shit industry to be honest. Only reason I got the job was because a family member opened a dealer in a nice suburban neighborhood in SoCal. 98% of my day consists of 16 year old faggots wanting to finance a Camaro SS as their first car.

>cut out weed, coffee, and alcohol
>save $300 per month
it's almost like people don't realize that the biggest problem with drugs is that they're expensive and it's often poorer people who get addicted to them the most
That said, if you're going to be a caffeine addict, just get bulk powder supplements from online

My user brother! I bought a 392 also just last year (used of course) and it is the nicest thing I have ever bought in my life. I drove a mitsubishi eclipse for 7 years before I got this. Mine looks like this pic.

>What was the last nice thing you bought for yourself and why?
I brought myself a new phone to replace my 2012 HTC one x and I like it. Last month was busy for work so I was getting 40 hours and also a 6 hour shift on my suppose to be my day off.

People are consumerist because they get taxed for being productive.

>Thinking about switching from glasses to contacts. It would save me 400$ a year
What? How many pairs of expensive glasses do you buy and why are you buying so many of them?

My gf is like that. They are poorer than my family but they all have new iphones.
I only spent a little more money on clothes as i got my first good pay last year and that was like 10% of the paycheck and i can resell at the same price and am going to, as im more used to wear h&m and second hand.
My gf is the type of girl to buy 5 10€ fast fashion shirts and complain how shes got nothing to wear instead of buying 1 quality high fashion shirt for 50€ which wont go out of style and will last.
But thats pretty much it, i like to be well dressed.
Back to my gf, her mother just bought her a macbook for 1700€ (they cant even afford it and had to cut the price over 2 years to pay back) for 'studying law' and she literally only uses it to browse the internet and type in word. I got a 720€ computer and i study architecture - it's the bare minimum spec i need but i did a lot of research and im not sorry.
My parents still rock dumbphobes and the smallest cheap car at a decent pay. That's why we get to travel (we even travel cheap as we can), live in a nice place and buy tons of books. They live in a shithole, gf has to work all the time and they dont go anywhere. And she has 0 savings because she likes to eat out.

>tons of books
This is the difference right here, user. Good for you and your family knowing the importance of education.

I'd like to know this. No way you'd be saving money on contacts.

Last thing I bought for myself were clothes. I don't buy a lot but when I do I tend to spend more. I also will shop online and leave items in my cart a couple days to see if I really want it or if I'm just being impulsive.

I still have an iPhone 4.

I think the thing I need to work on is actually spending more money. I'm pretty frugal and I definitely like getting great deals.However I do appreciate quality so I think it's better to have fewer nicer things of high quality than many things of low quality.

I'm 28. I have an ok job, I don't make a ton of money and the upward mobility isn't really there (I'll probably top out around 70k If I even make it that high) so I think it's very important for me to save a lot of money and use it to acquire income producing assets. 50% of my net currently goes into index funds. Next thing on my list is property.

Right, don't hoard your money. Put it to work for you. That's intelligent investing 101. Spending money just to spend money because you assume you will somehow have too much if you don't is pretty short sighted not to mention dumb.

I follow Ramit's advice. Cut mercilessly the unimportant. Spend extravagantly on what matters.

I buy very nice computers.
I buy very nice dinners.
I buy a nice college education.

beyond this everything is cost/benefit evaluated.
Most of the stuff I buy is designed to same me time.
Like say an amazon prime account.
I've paid memberships for warehouse stores before but by myself I simply don't buy enough to justify it. The small premium on amazon prime goods vs store + premium is about the same. Except I'm not eating the 2 hour shopping trip. I just get back from work and my goods are in front of my house.

there is a bad way to do this.
hgtv.com/shows/tiny-house-hunters/episodes/going-tiny-to-travel

and a good way
cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

>Camaro SS
>exotic
Pick one and only one, amigo.

Sorry my mistake. I meant from contacts to glasses. Sorry about the confusion

>falling for the exotic car meme

Literally only if you're incredibly rich. I know a guy who bought a new corvette and only drives it to and from the train station. Lmao he has a quarter of his take hope pay as a car payment. I couldn't believe it

I know that exotic cars are a waste of money and the entire market panders to losers and show-offs, but calling a Camaro exotic is a bit ridiculous.

Ah got it. I save a lot of money by wearing my glasses most of the time. I bought the one-day contacts and now just use them when I go to the beach or a concert. It's like $1-2 a day to wear contacts, glasses I can pay $200-300 and wear for 2 years.

Just bought a bottle of Macallan 25 for my boyfriend's 25th birthday. It should take a few years to drink.

Oh yes you're absolutely right about that.

So do as they do. Get everything on payment plans so you can surround yourself with luxury goods completely beyond your means.

Then you'll also learn why these people become completely destitute the moment their cash flow dries up.

Inb4: i know my english is no good.
THIS cheap way of living is absurd user.
BE ME:
>freelance
>charging 90€/hour of work
I find stupid spending an hour researching the web just to save 20€.
Time is gold, so I spend it striving to the top instead of being cheap.

This, but it depends on the circumstances. Researching the web for an hour is excessive for small savings, but spending 20 minutes researching any significant purchase is only good sense. Don't be an idiot.