Explain why theses aren't use as parking lots instead of massive oversized lots

Explain why theses aren't use as parking lots instead of massive oversized lots.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EY2AYA0O-VY#t=7m50s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

price
breaking
maintenance

what if you really need to take a shit but there's no toilet paper in the stall at work so you have to run to your car and open your trunk to get the toilet paper you keep in your trunk

this would take so long with the multiple tower system i would probably shit my pants AND get fired

Expensive to operate and repair. When you can install some electronic ticket giver and a moving gate on entrance and exit people can pay for by themselves. Can you imagine if some ass hat crashed into your carport tower and it tipped over?

alot of people own parking lots because they had empty land and have no aspirations to plan or invest in their own land

why else do you think so many parking lots have such shitty pavement and a ticketing machine that barely even works

How do these things even operate? Red pill me pls

you drive car on platform
person presses button
your car moves up
next open slot appears
repeat until full

when you pick up your car
rotate through all cars through till arriving at your car
drive car off platform

why not just build that the size of the entire parking lot, and let people drive up simple ramps to spots.

oh, wait...

Expensive and inconvenient as fuck

A good reason why "Parking Towers" like OP are not around... the MORON and Asian-Woman-Driver issue.

Just think of how catastrophic an "accident" could be

The only way for those to work would only be if the Tower has a certified, qualified driver, like a valet, to park the cars on and off the rack.

Otherwise disaster waiting to happen

Or do we need to post the montage of .gifs of people who fuckup their cars going through automatic carwashes?

>Power cut
>Can't get car

>Complicated machinery fails
>can't get car

>Chain holding up platforms fails
>Cars collapse on top of each other

honestly, i thought of some reasons, and i think many of you are spot on, but theres something you miss. of course:

>its expensive to operate
>its expensive to build
>it requires good parking
>how do you make sure th retard doesnt lift up himself with the car, gets out and falls to his death? people are retarded.

but, i think this reason here is really why it failed:
imagine a parking lot. people get out and in all the time. in this case, the heavy machinery needs time, and can only serve ONE PERSON at once. so there would be a lot of people waiting at all times. think about it.

What evades my comprehension is that in American cities apparently some lots are valuable enough to financially justify building skyscrapers on them, and then the lot across the street apparently is cheap enough to waste it on running a parking lot, and 100 yards down the road everything is covered in single story detached houses. Do American cities follow any rational interpretation of supply and demand, or does everyone just do whatever the hell they feel like?

Land is cheap enough to not have skyscrapers anywhere, except in areas that ironically prohibit them like much of San Francisco. They are more of a legacy of another era, and a symbol of status.

>Complicated machinery
To everyone outside Germany, maybe.

>everyone just do whatever the hell they feel like?
of course they do, it's America for heaven's sake

they're pretty common in nyc

Post gifs

Gifs please

But how do you get the top car out without removing all the others?

> I WANT MY CAR NOWWWW
> I DON'T CARE HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE IT INCONVENIENCES
> I'M CALLING THE POLICE

one car slides back to let the car above it descend
I guess the cars behind it get lifted out of the way of the moving platform.

They're common in Japan. Friend's apartment/condo hi rise had one built into it.

though the new thing is putting these automated parking structures underground. So you can cut car emissions in the cities and use the above ground space for something more useful.

this. how dumb are you, op?

>not parking your car right outside your condo

Pros:
>space efficient

Cons:
>expensive to build
>extremely expensive to maintain
>expensive to operate
>small mechanical failure can completely halt all access to stored vehicles
>inconvenient for customers
>relies too much on driver skill

It's extremely expensive... It only makes sense in places where land is in extremely short supply, like Tokyo.

Underrated post

What if someone forgets to set their car in the correct parking procedure or the parking mechanics fail, and causing the vehicle to fall to the ground below?

>The only way for those to work would only be if the Tower has a certified, qualified driver, like a valet, to park the cars on and off the rack.

That's how they were, sperglord.

ah Bellevue. Sold to the Chinese and probably going the way of Vancouver and Hong Kong

Fail-safe. It's designed so that if there's any issue, shit stays up.
Downside, if anything goes wrong or the company skimps on maintenance, your car is stuck.
Or if some soccer mom parks a fat SUV in the wrong place, or rams the structure on her way out.

Prefer the underground versions tee bee haich

youtube.com/watch?v=EY2AYA0O-VY#t=7m50s

Every time you look out the window you see your shitbox and sigh.
"One if these days I'm gonna get my shit together...-sigh-"
Pretty much the same thing as when you look into a mirror for more than a second.

>being this insecure
>not practicing self-improvement

What about flooding?

What about it? You think this is any harder to keep dry than any other underground structure? Ignoring the fact that cars get flooded on the surface all the time.