Iridium vs platinum plugs

Is there a real difference?

one contains iridium

the other contains platinum

if this difference is imaginary you are being ripped off m8

iridium seems to have a problem with catastrophic failure

i wouldn't let them anywhere near my vehicles

Copper plugs are the best for conductivity and performance but have the worst longevity

Platinum plugs are the best for longevity, but poorest in performance

Iridium is a bit of both worlds, decent performance and good longevity

Platinum and Irdium tend to overheat unlike copper plugs.

Just use OEM plugs breh

>spark plug
>catastrophic failure
just buy cold plugs?

I think you can't gap iridium plugs. The electrode is too thin, more expensive.

... i don't remember exactly but it's the amount of heat they produce and how it affects a cold cylinder.. and ignition coils

they aren't designed for that so i would avoid

How about no electrodes?

2008 Prius here. Iridium from the factory, they last 90k.

>iridium plug
>cant gap
ho boy I knew Veeky Forums had 12yos who dont even own a wrench but why are you here if you've never even gapped a spark plug? you dont bend the electrode retard.

>he uses spark plugs
>he doesn't use nigger-rigged zippo lighters instead
Don't fall for the sparking jew

what? no its about the shape of the electrode. cold and hot plugs are selected based on how hot the combustion temperatures get. spark plugs get covered in soot, then self clean. they need a certain temperature in order to self clean. if you put hot plugs in a turbo, it just melts the ceramic. if you put cold plugs in grandmas car who never moves the revs above 3000 then you have a possibility of them not getting hot enough to self clean and sooting up, bridging the electrodes and failing to spark

>2008 Prius

How much does copper plugs cost individually? in case i want to benchrace with a modified DD racer and i want those

sorry, i read that as
>just by cold plugs?

i'm drunk, and a bit retarded.. and i drive a diesel.. i really shouldn't participate in this thread

basically, i have never heard of catastrophic, vehicle wrecking spark plug failure outside of iridium spark plugs but i don't know how or why

about 3$. but you dont use copper plugs in a racer. copper plugs are for daily driver shitboxes. if you're racing, you'll be regularly going over 5000rpm. at this point you need the properly shaped electrode to get more complete combustion in the short amount of time. unless you wire your knock sensor with a decoy resistor, the turbo limiter will kick in from all the knock.

once you're running high levels of boost this gets extremely important. if the fuel doesnt ignite properly because flame propagation is poor then it ignites anyway once compressed and off of hot spots, causing detonation. this is why ignition timing is important. because you need the right amount of spark at the right time for the flame to propagate properly.

possibly because some retard kept their stock 5 heat plugs in their engine after boosting when they should have increased the gap and moved up to 7 heat plugs.

why/how would you ever have more plugs than cylinders?

3 bucks is enough for me to spend on good quality plugs regardless of the lifespan. What quality does race cars use? what material?

some vehicles have more plugs than cylinders...thats how.

>he doesn't just diesel it up
glowplugs lel

ok but if it doesn't come like that from the factory.....?

well mine cost 80$ for a set of 4 delivered for my shitty nubira. I have cold nkg laser iridiums which are the best I could get. but i only have those because I like to tear off from the lights and make 6000rpm in first gear.

you misunderstand. copper is the shittiest of spark plug. for something you replace every 100,000km why not get something a little better? if you're upgrading your spark plugs then its a good idea to do your leads and ignition module/coil/distributor at the same time which will set you back about 300$ anyway. I mean, you're trying to improve your ignition spark which is like a stage 0 modification. so why skimp on getting the cheapest possible option unless you just want it to run for another 10 000km

I am not. That's the point. Is Platinum enough for the plugs?

yeah they kick ass, my shitbike has far fewer ignitionfailures and starts a lot easier since i have one.

pic related.

there's very little difference once you move beyond the copper plugs. platinum and iridium costs about the same. iridium used to be more expensive because it was the brand new thing. whatever fancy packaging you prefer. the retro 80s rainbow caught my eye so I went with the laser ones.

>2016
>using cold plugs instead of spark injectors
It's like you intentionaly want to fuck your car up.

>talking people into using a device that hasn't been even invented and that its theoretically useless.

my '93 ranger has a 4 cyl engine and takes 8 plugs. It's rare, but some cars do that.

Then it's near impossible to make it yourself, unless you just throw them into the inlet manifold ofcourse.
The only real option is buying a cylinder head that does have two (usually) spark plug holes.

put iridiums in my 02 wrx and holy fuck did the idle smooth out. highly recommended.

That isn't because of the type of plug. Here are some things that may have caused it
>your old plugs were worn and dirty, causing misfires
>your old plugs had a small gap, which can cause low load misfiring
>your old plugs had internally damaged insulators and were arcing outside of the combustion chamber

get fucked, my fucking plugs were fine

No they wrere not. It is literally impossible that the material in the alloy of the electrodes was what was causing your idle misfires.

Engines with particularly large cylinders might use a second set of plugs in order to improve combustion efficiency. It also serves a form of redundancy if one plug or even magneto fails the engine will still operate albeit less efficiently.

>pic related this is basically standard practice for aviation piston engines.

05 dodge 2500
v8 hemi 16 spark plugs, a bitch to change them.

>tfw doing a magneto check

he speaks the truth. shit plugs wont affect idle. they can reduce knock though.

Nissan Z24i motor also has 2 plugs per cylinder, though the newer Ka24 heads do not.

is that a tarbo?
are those exhaust pipes just slipped on each other and not welded?

someone shit in your cornflakes today?

When you use iridium plugs you're using small bits of the asteroid that burned the dinosaurs to burn the dinosaurs all over again.

No other argument is required.

Rotaries have 2 plugs per rotor.
Ford's recent 6.2s have 2 plugs per cylinder too.

This aint imgur, user. Pointing out stupid shit or being immature isn't cool here.

fyi iridium plugs are platinum plugs. they both use iridium-platinum alloys because iridium hardens platinum.

platinum stopped sounding cool because only niggers wear platinum grills so they started using a fancy spaceship technology word ayyy lmao iridium.

The company making the plugs and what they consider passable by their QC standards matters more than what metal they put in it and generate a spark with.

STFU you are litterally not because IM the only possibility is the third one because the plugs i pulled out were actually in pretty great shape physically.

I tried those new denso iridium twin tips in an sr20ve and the idle was much smoother and power off idle was stronger.

The engine has 180k miles and I've put a few sets of NGK copper and 1 set of NGK platinums in it throughout its life and none of them made this much of a noticeable difference .

If you've got an older car with the ignition coil mounted inside the distributor you've got the best setup to take advantage of the tiny 0.4mm iridium tip.

From a technology perspective those Denso TTs are fucking cool, I'm putting two in my bike in about a thousand miles. Most of the benefit they have comes from the geometry used. The size of the posts to control the intensity of the spark. The material only affects life span.

I put iridiums in my v6 accord at 115k, now at 215k and engine runs great. No hesitation and instant turnover response.

It was like $1 more per plug over the platinums it came with.

Paying for top notch most premium plugs isn't that bad considering their lifespan. Even if there is no substantial benefit, it adds up to fractions of a penny per mile. Motors deserve a little TLC too.

for my 302 max $2.50 each copper core

I actually can't test whether one works better than the other, because I can only use platinums. All due to this thing.

under $20 for new plugs

feelz good

Nickel a best

I also require these answers

It is a turbo, not sure about that exhaust though

you're silly

i've used ngk v-power coppers on everything from 400whp turbo vr6s to 600whp evos to 120whp miatas to amgs/m3s

the only reason to go with platinum/iridiums is if your plugs are impossible/difficult to do every 15-30k miles like on a ford/chevy v8 that has half the engine under the cowl and it takes 2-3 hours to do them. on a i4/i6 where you can do them in 30 mins or less there's no point, just do them every 3rd-4th oil change.

they're only spec'd from the factory so they don't have to get changed out under factory warranty. a crap ass daewoo would run perfectly on coppers if not better than any other plug provided you changed them every 15-20,000 miles. copper is literally the best conductor you could possibly get.

Maybe you should know what you're talking about first before posting.

>howrah.org
>be careful you dont break it while gapping
>same as cannot be adjusted
>you dont even touch the electrodes when gapping a spark plug except to check the gap with a feeler
Sounds like an authoritative source user.

>runs 400bhp turbo on coppers
Enjoy your detonation.

Looks like a tarbo.

Pipes probably are slip fits. You'll see that on high end turbo systems, they allow for heat expansion when things get really hot. Otherwise you end up with cracks/leaks.

You should use the most expensive ones because they really bring out the warmth in your exhaust sound. And also tape baggies of quartz onto your engine to purify it's sound-waves.

>not having gold plated plugs

What a pleb, I bet you run on low octane too.

copper has the best conductivity
wont last as long, only reason for iridium or platinum is because people want long maintenance periods

>only reason for iridium or platinum is because people want long maintenance periods

No, they also provide a more consistent spark with less energy required to jump the gap with the same strength spark.

i just use the copper cheap NGK's the manual says to use. Iridium Tipped ones had issues when they first came out, the wafer on the electrode would break off and bounce around in the cylinder for a long time scratching the hell out of everything.