What kind of gigantic cuck does Toyota market the Century to?

What kind of gigantic cuck does Toyota market the Century to?

>still produced in the year of our lord 2016
>starts at 111k USD
>cloth seats
>cassette player
>interior hasn't been updated since 1997
>V12 engine that makes 280hp
>halogen headlights
>no kind of collision avoidance whatsoever
>total lack of any post 90s technology
>everything dated as fuck

Meanwhile a brand new Mercedes S class starts at a lower price and you get:

>standard AIRMATIC air suspension with continuously Adaptive Damping System Plus
>Magic Body Control suspension (optional on V8 and higher models)
>Nine airbags as standard
>ESP Dynamic Cornering Assist
>Traffic Sign Assist with Speed Limit Assist and wrong-way driving warning function
>COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (as standard)
>ATTENTION ASSIST (as standard)
>ADAPTIVE BRAKE (as standard)
>DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist
>Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
>NECK-PRO crash-responsive head restraints
>PRE-SAFE, PRE-SAFE Brake, PRE-SAFE PLUS, PRE-SAFE Impulse, Pre-Safe with pedestrian detection and City Brake function
>Beltbags
>Active bonnet
>Active Lane Keeping Assist
>Full-LED headlamps with Intelligent Light System and Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS
>Night View Assist PLUS (pedestrian/animal detection) with flashing Spotlight Function
>Head-up display
>COMAND Online with Touchpad
>Active Parking Assist
>Active Blind Spot Assist
>Crosswind Assist
>Torque Vectoring Brake
>Active Parking Assist
>Backup camera
>Electric parking brake with emergency braking function
>Direct-Steer Electromechanical steering with Steer Assist electromechanical steering power assistance
>MAGIC VISION CONTROL wipers

Other urls found in this thread:

techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/active_hood/detail.html
bringatrailer.com/2015/04/16/hand-built-flagship-2500-1991-toyota-century/
bringatrailer.com/2015/04/18/japans-only-v12-2003-toyota-century/
youtu.be/FbPrWgLtGcE
youtube.com/watch?v=N8Os5AFXUp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old Japanese businessmen are weird
Is that good enough?

What the fuck is an active bonnet? My bonnet is supposed to stay closed when I want it to and stay open when I want it to, not be active.

You know how people on this board like old Japanese cars and refuse to buy new cars?

Now imagine if you had a lot of money and were that much of a samefag, but didn't want to buy a used car.

If they sold stock AE86s, they'd sell. If they sold stock RX-7s, they'd sell. Cars always have have a market, and especially Japanese conservative businessmen would buy into this.

If they sold the dictator Mercedes still, people would buy it.

old statesmen and japanese aristocrats who don't require gadgets

back in the 80s when there was a market for tech among these people these cars were decked to fuck

also, I believe if you really desperately want tech in your Century you can ask to have it put in

Well it looks nice

>In a collision the rear of the active bonnet is raised in an instant, thus increasing the available deformation space and substantially reducing the risk of injury to pedestrians.

techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/active_hood/detail.html

so basically it breaks more of your car in the event that something might be there

Pedestrian safety is so fucking irritating

>get decapitated by bonnet being pushed through windscreen in 5mph accident

10/10

How does it break anything

If nothing hits it, you just press down on the bonnet to reset the system.

Centuries are custom made to the order of the customer. That's just a baseline car. Literally anything you want will be put in it.
bringatrailer.com/2015/04/16/hand-built-flagship-2500-1991-toyota-century/
bringatrailer.com/2015/04/18/japans-only-v12-2003-toyota-century/

When you get above a hundred grand and start paying other people to drive you, the features of the car itself start to matter less. Then you start thinking about the looks of the car, seats, media players, and so on.
Also
>2016
>wanting any post-90s tech in your car

like most instant safety measure this wont be instantly resettable, for example the instant roll bar on R129s or accident seatbelts on S classes.

>super conservative upper class
Japanese society has a strict hierarchy.
The Century is not a car, it is symbol of social status.

Even though the looks are horridly outdated

I don't see how lowering a bonnet would be hard to do.

>thinking ZE GERMANS would engineer a car where the bonnet can be pushed through the windshield
The mere thought of this happening is pretty Detroit tier.

delete this

All that two tone paint and chrome trim just screams nigger whip

It looks like asian old money.

>outdated
formal and conservative senpai
the s-class looks like a banana

Yeah, old being the focal point

You can be formal and conservative and not drive a design that was originally penned over 30 years ago

Not in Japan. Can't your autism allow you to accept things are different in different cultures?

It looks like the front body of a Mercedes, the back body of a GM G-body and the entire roof and windows from a Crown Victoria.

>caring about driver options
>in a car you'll be chauffeured in
ok

>crashing your century
>implying japanese peasant cars crumble on contact of true nippon vehicular prowess

>cloth seats
The "cloth" fabric in the Toyota Century is not the same renewable nasty polyester shit found in your Tata Nano, but actually sublime quality 100% wool which feels far more comfy and luxurious to the touch than cheap slippery leather in modern pricey cars.

It was adopted to keep your perfectly tailored suits from getting worn out and wrinkled while spending a lot of time in one of the Japanese presidential saloons.

The Toyota Century was pretty much designed along the same idea as the LS400, except for the fact that the Century may very well be better.

Old money is worth infinitely more than new money.

I wasn't arguing that, all I was arguing is that the Crown is ugly

That's nice dear.

the queen of england has wool seats in her bentley

one of the other reasons is leather squeaks

That's a really cute idea. considering the Rockefeller's and Koch's are technically new money and they own half the fucking world.

>those qt Japanese princesses in the back

Hnnnnnnngh

The rockefellers are new world old money

>this car sucks, it doesn't wipe my ass and change my tampon while I drive

interior cucks are the worse.

>still produced in 2016
Why change perfection
>$111k
Not for plebs
>Cloth seats
Good. Leather is fucking shit.
>cassette player
You're sitting in the back talking on the phone or gently listening to music, you don't care
>Interior hasn't been updated
See 'perfection' above
>V12 that makes 280hp
And is built so well it can have one half of its engine block literally blown to pieces and continue to operate on the other bank of 6 cylinders, because each bank is completely independent
>halogen headlights
Your driver will have good night vision
>collision avoidance
Your driver does this
>any post 90s technology
>dated as fuck
It's for old people, nigger. They don't care how much cute electrical shit the car has in it, they want comfy and the century has comfy.

it looks cool as fuck

>Merc w123 is practically indestructible and extremely desirable in Africa, but after all these years, supply is running low since no new ones are made
>oldschool looks extremely attractive too
>idea: aquire ancient tooling from Daimler and restart production in Africa since they neither have emissions nor car safety laws there
>the tankbenz lives on
>smuggle New Old Stock to countries where rich people still want the good old car feels
>Veeky Forumstomobile manufacture Inc.
>

WAT Manufacturing Co
'For the future of the old'

jdm tite

Leave it to Veeky Forums to praise a fucking extended corolla that costs more than an S-Class and has less equipment than a Dacia Sandero.

Those are all good things. I'd drive one.

I don't see how repacking an airbag would be hard to do. I mean, it's just a balloon right?

>he doesn't use casettes
How to spot the pleb? They have a spotify subscription kek

you forgot two main points

Toyota Century
>looks ill as fuck

Mercedes S class
>looks kind of gay

If it makes it so the beltline can be lower because of the requirement of a certain amount of space above the engine, I'm for it. I just want it to be selective about when it activates so I don't have to pay for new pyrotechnics that activate it when it goes off unnecessarily/because of vandalism.

>gets BTFO
>resorts to smug anime faces

That's really pushing it.

Compared to the mercedes, the century will last a century.

t. weeb hipsters

>collision avoidance

wew

i would buy it then VIP the shit out of it

The Yakuza doesn't need all of your gaijin fancy-sounding bullshit

The Yakuza rolls almost exclusively in Mercs, silly.
Mercedes is seen as the holy grail of luxury in Japan.

can i drift one of these

>implying that in 2011 the town car wasn't the luxury you could get brand new

So basically for people who are so set in their ways, they'll buy an inferior product for insane money.

Gotcha.

It's baffling to me how all you burgerland dumb fucks don't understand the concept of a large displacement and SMOOTH engine. I bet it sounds glorious too

Get back to your 1.2l diesel you peasant fuck.

t. Ahmed the refugee.

youtu.be/FbPrWgLtGcE
It's a luxury car. It's not supposed to sound like a race car.

>Mercedes is seen as the holy grail of luxury in Japan.
*among old people in Japan

among japanese delinquents and plebs

>be in century
>turn key buckle belt, and go

>be in s class
>look down at cell phone
>BEEP BEEP BEEP

slamming a car that cost a lot when it was new does not make you a very important person

>it is what it is
>N-no it's not!

What the fuck is an active bonnet?

I was considering importing one

In Japan, cloth is favored over leather because squeaking on leather is considered embarrassing to the dignity of the passenger. Even Celsiors (LS 400) were mostly cloth interior.

It's a status symbol. If live in japan and manage own one, you'd be treated very differently

Most applications like this involve small explosives that act on the bonnet hinge. Until you replace the hinge, you're gonna have an SRS light stuck on your dash and likely won't be able to properly close the bonnet.

I'd like to know if idiot pedestrians - drunkards who walk out in front of cars for no good reason - can be sued for the damage they cause to cars with these systems.

its 2 2jz's mated together, ill pay 11K for that.

just like the supper conservative position

it's 2016 after all

The cloth seats are a cultural thing and a scientific marvel, the interior doesn't need to be updated, its already luxurious and just because something looks new and exciting doesn't automatically make it better. The V-12 is there because you can set it up to run in such a way that it is practically silent but still has enough pull to move your car, because it is smooth as fuck, and because it is extremely expensive to maintain. And I'm sorry to break it to you, user, but xenon headlights, active avoidance technology, and touchscreens as every surface are nothing but extremely expensive memes that do nothing to make the car better, but are not quite expensive enough to exude an air of exclusivity.

>pedestrians
>ever at fault

>Veeky Forums defends Toyota Century despite almost never talking about it
>meanwhile shits on Panther platform because it's American but otherwise very similar to Century in terms of specs and options

weeb much? rarity? i don't understand

other than you forget that one is a top market luxury sedan for people of prestige and power. It was never intended to be flashy or gaudy, but to capture the style of the 60's executive cars. It and the President became the gold standard for showing your social status, but still remaining conservative. Importing an American or European executive car would have made you appear to be new money, a try-hard. It would potentially have the opposite effect of what you want to show.

The other is a mid tier boring sedan old white people buy, then sell to young black men when the airsprings leak because they don't wish to pay 1600 bucks for new springs and air compressor.

>Missy
who the fuck are you

The mercedes active bonnet has no pyrotechnics and can be reset manually.

youtube.com/watch?v=N8Os5AFXUp4

But would you VIP a VIP?

Doesn't the Japanese Emperor have one of these?

I don't like Jap cars, but I like them. They have the things I wish new cars still had. Tires with sidewall, chrome/stainless trim, overhangs. Kind of like if 60's/70's luxury styling cues on a newer body.

The century and a shit box retired police car with plastic seats are two entirely different vehicles you tard
It's like comparing an s class and base model camry

yes and no

I think it's it's a slightly modified normal Century underneath

I live in the USA and my engine is a 2.2L flat four
Again, murican.
Impossible to tell what it really sounds like from this shit teir video. I didn't say it would sound like a racecar.

300 lbf·ft of torque available at 1200rpm

Slightly modified? Bitch, anyone can see that that thing carries around at least one metric ton of armor.

>African manufacturing quality

Nigga, plz

>both are indestructible
>both have classic boxy look
>both have spartan interior despite the 21st century
>both are comfy RWD landbarges

More like
>twenty ragged autists from Veeky Forums with wrenching skills anwhere between 'can do an oil change without destroying the car' and 'actual german engineer' move to an african country and purchase an old warehouse
>enact Rhodesia 2.0 on the factory floor since nobody in the area is smart enough to run the place but them

>If they sold stock AE86s, they'd sell. If they sold stock RX-7s, they'd sell. Cars always have have a market

Okay buddy...

Veeky Forums is full of mouth breathers nowadays.

What? Only bonnet? No pedestrian airbag like Volvo has?

they're actually manufacturing 190 in north korea

Has anyone said it looks fucking awesome yet?

No, they tried and failed back in the 90's. They got themselves a few of the cars and tried to copy the construction 1:1 and it ended up falling the fuck apart because Norks can't do shit right.