How in the fuck is this company alive?

How in the fuck is this company alive?

Other urls found in this thread:

freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/04/11/dodge-cuts-prices-dart-compact/82889610/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For contrarians sake

gubment

Good question. Sometimes you look at Chrysler and wonder if they are actually trying to keep it alive at all.

If I were them I would have made the dart appealing rather than scrapping it, and start developing a small fuel efficient V8 (because Americans fucking love V8s even if they are gutless V8s) jam that small V8 into anything that could possibly take it.
???
Profit.

Also a few years down the line I'd bring back Plymouth and put them in a slightly cheaper entry level position.

I honestly didn't know they were.

Any American car company
ftfy

Americans love displacement as well so anything under 5L would be scoffed at

>let me tell you about a country I've never been to and only see about through our media

Why do americans make cars? They're all decent to shit.

Cummins engines. Also niggers like their cars.

They had the right idea in the 80s when they put turbos in everything.

Do it again dammit.

People like cheap cars

I don't know what type of deal or whatever Fiat is doing now, but i'm seeing goddamn fiat 500s and jeeps everywhere now

Not really, I'm talking the general public, who probably doesn't even know what displacement is. All they would see is the V8 badge on the side of the car.

A 3ish liter V8 would be perfect, and for the performance crowd slap some tarbos on it. It's not like 3 liter V8s haven't existed in America before anyway. In the 50s pretty much every car maker had something about that small.

Because despite what the internet told you, they're not all shit. Over the last six or so years the US has gotten its shit together, even Chrysler makes a few cars that aren't terrible.

If they fix their glass transmission issues and up their build quality a notch they might not be utter shit.

This, they went insane with the turbochargers and i liked it. I liked it a lot.

They only realized how ridiculous their shit was when a minivan was almost as fast as a mustang back then and only then they realized their shit was stupid as fuck. They didn't stop though, they moved on to bigger turbos and intercoolers, which gave life to some of the fastest cars back then.

Hate all you want on Chrysler, but sometimes they can be based as fuck with their zero fucks given attitude, see the Vipers and the Hellcats for example.

They should go on a new mad spree with the Hellcat engine, imagine a AWD hellcat van.

Chrysler, and Dodge specifically, are really what's keeping FCA afloat right now. Fleet sales for Dodge have always been good, enthusiasts and normies alike love the Chargers and Challengers in every trim. Toss on top that RAM and Jeep are more successful than ever and the company is looking great.

Hell, Dodge even took the #2 truck sales position a little while back. They didn't maintain it, but it was a first in almost 20 years. Chargers have the highest blue book value retention on the market, as well.

I mean, it could really go either way for them right now. Another recession would gut them, but if the market stays stable for another decade, they could become a real viable part of the Big Three again.

Jeep

The Dart and Chrysler 200 were selling well. It was scrapped because Fiat wants more crossovers and they don't have the manufacturing capability to make the engines for both compact cars and crossovers.

>Chrysler, and Dodge specifically, are really what's keeping FCA afloat right now
What by making money from massive recalls due to faulty parking systems causing vehicles to roll away?

I dont think you should equate what Dodge is doing to Chrysler. Especially now that Chrysler is under FIAT, they're really just another arm of FIAT like Jeep and Dodge are, except Dodge is currently experiencing one last swansong with the Viper/Hellcats, while Jeep is actually doing a good job of using their brand image to market upwards.

Chrysler, as in just Chrysler, the cars, is fucked.

americans love v8s because the chevy block and its bastard children have been in production for 50+ years so there is epic after market support. literally every performance shop and parts store caters to them. which is why you can always find parts for them. go and search for "chevy glass rocker cover" then go and google for "twingo turbo kit" and see how many you find.

jeep needs to go back to building 4wd trucks. now its all towncars with doors you need to build racks in your garage for because they're removable.

Could Chrysler ever break free from Fiat?

Or are we doomed to never return to the glorious past where our roads were not polluted by Italian econotrash?

came here to post this. All hail our glorious Italian overlords!

I really want to like Chrysler becaus tarbos everywhere and some insane cars, but them dying or getting rekt by Benz really doesn't help, especially when their cars are utter shit right now.

It's much more likely that FCA will fold, and Jeep gets sold to Ford (for SUVs), Chrysler and Dodge get killed off and Alfa/Maserati are acquired by a Chinese company and revitalized a la Volvo.

That's what I expect will happen in 3-5 years.

Will never happen. Both the American and Italian governments will step in before that will happen. FCA is important to both the American and Italian economies. Without them, we surely would have another 2008 financial crash.

>tfw family likes to buy chryslers
Went through spirits, shadows, liberty, wrangler, ram 1500.

The Shadows were alright as a cheapo car, I remember them being alright, the manual at least, the auto one was pretty archaic.

The ram was really fun, underutilized in the end though, learned stick on this one.

I wasn't fond of the rest (the wrangler was one of those new 4 door ones, and it was 4x2 so I just felt like a dumb fakeass driving one).

I think it's mostly the jeepfags, the Ram, and Challenger/Charger keeping them afloat.

I've owned a couple of Chryslers. They weren't terrible but they weren't good either.

>tfw still driving a Spirit

183000 and counting. Has it's issues and doubt it can last more than another year without transmission work and engine work though. Might have to thicken up the oil due to the consumption.

Shadows are awesome. The automatics were archaic because it was a 3 speed automatic, the same one used in the later Neon. They were especially glorious if you managed to track down the rare turbocharged variants.

If Chrysler went back to this kind of vehicle they would do way better.
Simple, small, cheap, no nonsense cars.
Instead we're getting rebranded fiats, cramped interiors, terrible touchscreens, huge heavy bodies, etc.
I mean, one large sedan here and there is totally cool, like the charger is pretty cool and has good sales in my country, but other than that I miss the simple small unassuming Chrysler of the 90s.

I know they're shit, but I'm still tempted to buy a Fiat 500 Abarth.

My first car was a 1989 Dodge Spirit Turbo I.
>those feels.

Tried one, out of the showroom they feel cool.
But I then tried some used ones and they don't hold up well, cheap as fuck as expected from fiat.

Its neat to see how much they hyped up something that would be considered an econobox nowadays.

Ford,Tesla

Turbo II 5 speed manual reporting in.
Out there to represent USDM superiority in EU.

Ford makes shit that people buy up because it's the most recognized brand. Tesla survives on Tweets and tax payer money is used to help buy each car.

Jeeps. Lots and lots of Jeeps.

Ford almost went under in 2006. They avoided bankruptcy by mortgaging EVERYTHING the company owned and gambling the company's future.

Chargers, Challengers, and Jeeps sell very well.

200s, 300s, and Town & Countrys sell alright.

it isn't 1999 anymore

Aw shiet that car looks sexy. I love that boxy 80s look.

Agreed, that would be a welcome change.

This one is NA, sadly not lucky enough to get the Turbo I. Then again this one is pretty damn easy to work on. Not sure how much a Turbo would complicate things.

The Turbo II is retarded easy to work on, the Turbo I is even simpler. Only hard parts would probably be like swapping the turbo for a bigger one as it sits behind the engine and very close to the firewall

From what I've heard they got fucking robed blind by Mercedes wile they were 'partnered'. basicly took all their ram and jeep profits and were alowed next to nothing to actually develop new vehicles. They only got some then old e class parts out of the deal, which resulted in the 300, etc. This is why I have a hard time hateing on them to bad, their fiat partnership is doing well for them so far.

I remember the Daimler/Chrysler merge, they made a mention of it on SNL's fake news bit. I still remember it.

They got fucked over big time by Daimler, that's a fact. They got some awesome pieces out of the partnership like the all popular all aluminium 2.7 litre V6, which everyone loves and knows from the popular cars such as Dodge Stratus and baseline 300.

Also extremely dangerous cars like the Chrysler ME412 were pushed back and cancelled because FASTER THAN A MERC AT HALF THE PRICE CAN'T HAVE THAT

Also the Dodge T-Rex which was deemed FUCKING STUPID, but later sold as the 6x6 G class Benz at like three times the price.

Damn. I wonder if there's any hope for Chrysler, their story is a sad one.

They'll probably chug along like a, well, broken Chrysler, for a couple of more years.
They're that one company that always barely stays afloat and still somehow manages to make it in the end.

They are a big part of Fiats US arm now though, take it as you will.
I for one kinda welcome our new Italian overlords as they have some beautiful cars too.
It's a shame that EU won't be getting any more Chryslers though, they're mostly rebadged as lancias and sold only in like Italy, whereas the UK gets some LANCIAS rebadged as Chryslers, like the Ypsilon and such.

Chrysler has been kept afloat by dodge and jeep. If chrysler were an independent brand surely they would have failed by now.

Its been that way pretty much since day one, except back then they had both Dodge and Plymouth to keep their heads above water.

This prick-mobile right here. Jeep sales, as a whole, were up a staggering 25% from 2014 to 2015. Gas is cheap, their style is bangin, and Americans don't read Consumer Reports or just don't give a flying fuck about reliability. These things are flying out the door, with options, more than compensating for awful Dart sales.

Jeep and Ram together are probably enough to keep the company profitable, despite the best efforts of other Chryslers and Dodges.

Adding a four-door model helped Wrangler sales greatly.

> not knowing Tesla's biggest source income

Hint: it starts with a "C" and ends with "AFE regulations credits from other automakers." And if you're trying to discredit them for this, you're wrong because it's actually a tactical and effective business move.

Also,

> people only buy Ford because it's recognizable

is bullshit because, as part of the Big Three, Dodge and Chrysler are equally recognizable. Yet we're not in a thread questioning why Ford is still alive. Hmmm, I wonder why that is...

As opposed to Fiat failing in every American demographic, Maserati being one of the slowest selling luxury brands, and Alfa barely clinging to life? Yes. Dodge is the single most profitable aspect of FCA right now. They make money hand over fist for where they are in the market.

Dodge may not be as effective as Ford or Chevy, but they are also still digging their way out from the Daimler era.

>the dart and 200 were selling well

freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/04/11/dodge-cuts-prices-dart-compact/82889610/

Jeeps are such pieces of shit that eat money, but they are so fun I'm buying one again.

Rams don't offer anything over other trucks, in fact, why buy a Ram when the F-150 is just there and it werks? (I don't like fords though) Or you could buy a nissan hardbody or hilux (outside the US).
I do think Rams are the best looking since 1990something though, the recent F-150 has that weird new Ford look, Chevys always looked terrible imo (even if they are good trucks).

The sad fact is, Chrysler has had some of the most innovative and resilient engineers in the business. Coming out of the Daimler era, they produced some incredible cars with no money and over a decade of having their R&D department cut down.

The 5.7 Hemi is the champion of all of this. In a time where Chrysler was being gutted by Daimler, they produced one of the most efficient, push rod V8s the world has ever seen. An engine which has not only endured, but performed incredible feats in the hands of enthusiasts and competitive racers alike.

Hell, this company, down on its luck and getting kicked repeatedly in its ribs by all of its competition, has taken an ancient platform with a decade old, derivitive engine and crushed TA2. They took a 25 year old supercar, updating it sparingly, and killed every track time they took on.

Chrysler is an incredible underdog story.

Chrysler as a whole is fucking insane, but that insanity has given us some real gems.

Ill never own a chrysler for as long as i live, the partnership between daimler, and FCA now has destroyed that brand.

Whats really destroyed them is the quality of there product and the horrible and i mean HORRIBLE wiring problems these vehicles have.

I feel like the 300 was the first truly respectable American car made in a long time.

if only people knew that was more mercedes than american.

The dodge challenger is basically a mercedes suspension and unibody with a hemi stuffed under the hood.

Literally one generation , and it was a horrible generation to own (if you're into mods)

According to my dad they are the cheapest american car to own.
That's why he buys them.
Dunno how true it is, but thanks to him I can't hate Chrysler even if they aren't the best.

Once you own one you start rooting for them.

>Chrysler is an incredible underdog story.
Fiat Chrysler is a story of poor reliability.

>faggot Italians attempt transportation

t. chrysler shill

>Or you could buy a nissan hardbody

Thanks for the input, 1996. We appreciate you.

too bad I rarely see chryslers from 1996

oh wait, there's a reason why

they're fucking shit

>implying the general public even knows what displacement is
>implying Tyrone wouldn't drop his entire gubment welfare check on a down payment for a Chrysler 300 with the optional "muh vee-ate" performance package

I've owned two, knew their faults, and still look back with Rose tinted glasses, I still think I should have kept my LH car, and yes they did do some cool shit but they also made some Class A turds

Not really. The suspension is based on the W220 S Class, along with the steering column and some electrical stuff.

Everyone and their mother claims they are rebodied W210's, but if you actually look under both you'll see that is not the case.

#2 in truck sales. GM and ford has literally outsold them for like 40 years straight

>owns a dart
I'm kinda mad about that too. Ford jumped at the opportunity to make a small awd turbo sports car and Dodge is still like "uhhh what if make v8 faster??"
If they actually decided to make a sport edition of the Dart with an SRT4 that's awd it would sell great. It'd still be overshadowed by the RS but it would still sell

Dodge is the only one of the big three staying true to their roots at this point, what the fuck are you talking about? Quality has been on the upswing for six years and the new Pacifica, Challenger, and RAM interiors are awesome.

March 2014. Ram beat Chevy for the first time since 1999.

Blame Fiat. They don't want competition for the Abarth.

It's sad because there are turbo modded Darts that are retarded fast.

They should just reanimate Virgil Exner and go absolutely hog wild with the styling. If they die because they don't sell they at least died proudly

The abarth literally has the same motor as the dodge dart 1.4t which is what I have. I wouldn't say its fast but with my mods and tune it does alright for what it is

>They should just reanimate Virgil Exner and go absolutely hog wild with the styling.
THE FURY WILL LIVE AGAIN!

Dart/200's are huge pieces of shit.
>From what I've read anyway

I want to put a Fury body onto a 392 Charger chassis so bad.

>he thinks people would want 3 liter V8s

You're a fucking madman

I want a 1.8l V6

I'm rolling in my mom's Dodge Spirit R/T. I can't wait to buy it from her.

Why don't they do multiple variations of the 300? People apparently fucking love the styling so they could make the 200 shorter and with a coupe version available, keep the 300 as is and introduce a slightly bigger but way more luxurious Imperial, with a V12 option or something as a way to re-position themselves as a real luxury brand. Maybe even a crossover. Kind of like what Cadillac does, all of their cars look like the CTS, even the CRX

Aww shiet the Spirit R/T. I heard the torque steer was pretty bad on those though. Still want one in pristine condition if I could find it. They look pretty great.

I learned how to drive in my dad's 91 Spirit with the Mitsubishi SOHC V6. I loved that car. He junked it last year because it was starting to cost too much money to maintain and wasn't worth shit anyway ;_;

There is this bizarre thought among some benchracers that a small displacement, turbo V8 would be successful. These people are retarded. A V8 has to be powerful in a N/A form to be successful. Forced Induction has to be an augmentation of existing power to make for a successful V8.

Examples: Ford GT, Hellcat, Agera R.

Wasn't the Agera R designed with its tarbos from the very start?

>He junked it last year because it was starting to cost too much money to maintain
That was the problem with the 6G72 engine. The ONLY reason it even existed as an option was the boomers who bought those cars new wanted to brag about the number of cylinders they had.
Nevermind the 4 cylinder turbos made more power and torque.
Nevermind the 4 cylinder turbos were more fuel efficient and cheaper to maintain.
The V6 from Mitsubishi was a piece of SHIT. It was an unreliable, inefficient turd that ONLY existed on the options list because
>muh V6
That V6 was what started Chrysler getting a reputation for unreliability when it wasn't their fault.

>Why a 4 banger? WE WANT A V6!
>>But we don't have a V6 we can use, plus the 4 banger does everything you need and want.
>WE WANT A V6!
>>>Hello Gentleman. mitsubishi here... I think we have a solution...

This is why I liked the SRT-4. Not sure about it's major flaws but it was ugly. The Neon was already an ugly duckling and then they riced it out from the factory goddamn. Still, it was pretty quick.

i bought mine for $1,600.00
had it 2 years now and things are still fine
electrical gremlins like dash lights going out and features not working are present, but they switch now and them

>Hit pothole
>seats can no longer adjust but hey passenger windows work again!

>ride over bump
>clock stops working but backlight for HVAC turns back on

>sometimes power locks won't work but if I turn the car on/off repeatedly it fixes the problem
>sometimes windshield wipers won't turn on, but if I open all the windows and honk then it works, something about pulling all that power unfucks whatever s causing the wipers to not work

I mean it's a cool novel idea in theory, like the Boxer or Wankel engines, it would have a cool factor

Funny, we never had any problems with the engine and 2bh it was kinda peppy for its age, faster than most smaller moder DOHC I4 at least. It was mostly the tranny, suspension and badly rotting frame that made my dad decide it was time to buy another cheap shitbox (a 98 Malibu, didn't last long but now he has a fully optioned 04 Mazda6 with the Ford V6 with a sketchy transmission)

My 92 Spirit has power everything and surprisingly they all still work. The front windows are having trouble staying on their tracks and the weather stripping is in rough shape but the motors and switches all work.
The only weird electrical stuff is the sound coming through the speakers when I accelerate, a buzz. The radio is some dollar store tier POS that the previous owner put on but hell it works. Just barely.
Been thinking about a better aftermarket radio but hell I'm about ready to get a newer car anyway.

This is what happened when Daimler got ahold of Chrysler in 1998.

Fuck you Bob Eaton. I hope they murder you you sonuva bitch.

>Aw shiet that car looks sexy. I love that boxy 80s look.
Carroll Shelby himself even did a performance version called the Shelby CSX. 175 HP 2.2L Turbo 2.