/ovg/ - Fast Datsuns Edition

Welcome to Auto Video Games General. The place to discuss racing games on Veeky Forums!

Previous thread Our Wiki should answer every single question you could possibly ask!
>get-good.net

Our Mumble server is incredibly ded and features over 1738 regular visitors, drop by and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Join the /ovg/ club in GT6!
>gran-turismo.com/ie/gt6/user/#!/clubid/1053805/

We're racing on Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes on Friday. Check out our Google doc for info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10031121
pastebin.com/xvDf7BsX
mega.nz/#!PpFnjLxb!9eyQ1CCN2drxG03pNg7rK3jQS_YEnTYlWekZDWtlhoI
speedhunters.com/2011/02/shift2_unleashed_gt_gt_on_the_subject_of_physics/
youtube.com/watch?v=GjnadPBMJGs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm gay.

fag

HOLY MOLY

Lycra-fags stay out.

The only interesting thing that happened in my race

I cannot wait for shitbox race webms so I can vicariously live the joy of it seeing as I don't have AC.

noice. I want to get a helmet like pic related made so when i get btfo at the /ovg/ karting meet at least i'll be btfo in style

Success Ballast

y/n

strawpoll.me/10031121

Ctrl+L removes the driver names for when you're making a webm.

thank u bb

controller user in that yellow car, gee.

I updated it with SKILLS TO WIN THE BILLS on the back. Probably will update more when I eventually talk to their designers. It seems a bit sparse but maybe it's better that way. Also considering going for a silvery color for the base instead of white. I've seen what white suits usually look like after a couple races lol. Maybe it would be fine if I'm just super careful about never working on the car while wearing it. Kind of a pain in the ass to be on and off with it all day though.

It was only tomthy tomthying after Hiroe stacked up the inside line

The only cool thing I did all race

post a photo when it's done

will do

Final carpack for the hot version server

And third time is charm, and I re-re-updated the impala with the steam engine.
pastebin.com/xvDf7BsX

pic unrelated

I love this car.

I love this car.

Did someone make a dilbert spin off?

Alright race day one is done. Tomorrow's race does not start till noon, we did pretty good over all I think. I'll give you guys just a small drop of the stuff that happened. We did get into a crash so we were out for a little but at the end of the day we ended the race 5th in class and 42nd overall out of 75 running cars. And yes I did not get any black flags so fuck you nerds I am a great driver.

Your the best driver powerrr, when are you going to make this your career?

I hope you get taped to a roof and bullied and put on youtube.

>only one DeSilva because VonMoltke Shipping Ltd. dropped the #77 in Lake Louise.
>had to drive ugly-ass unsponsored car
>accidentally used stock setup so I ran out of fuel on the last lap

>racing
>career
But nah, it was more of a team effort I wasn't even close to the fastest dude. My quickest time was 4 seconds off the average one of my team members was doing. But my lap times were consistent so that's what matters
Ayy, well apparently the go pro they had going on the car got all of my stint so whenever they get that shit saved on a pc I'll see if I can get the link from youtube and share it

I wanted to push you across the finish, shame the server booted every one out :(

Post sister

It's okay, I was too busy chucking old computer parts around the house and screaming profanity.

>Tilkestone
never
ever
again

Fucking ayy

Well done samefag

so how about racing huh
shit's pretty cool right

If you are too lazy to download all the separate cars for GFin's series, here is a package with all of them included. The camaro fix is also already applied here

mega.nz/#!PpFnjLxb!9eyQ1CCN2drxG03pNg7rK3jQS_YEnTYlWekZDWtlhoI

R3E FIGHTSTICK ****WORLD RECORD****

BMW Z4 GT3 @ Raceroom Raceway Bridge

WE WORLD CHAMPS NOW

That wheel animation is triggering me

I remember playing Raceroom, it was pretty meme-y.

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO PUT ARCHIVES IN ARCHIVES!

What is the objectively worst racing game of all time?

Assetto Corsa tied with Project Cars and GRID

R3E LEADERBOARD CHALLENGE TOP 300 LAP ****FIGHTSTICK WORLD RECORD****

BMW E30 M3 Group A @ Mid Ohio Short

NUMBA 1 (or 200something)

We 1990 now

what the fuck

Jalopy, early access game, kinda like a survival adventure euro truck, car mechanic, trabant simulator

So people say Shift2 driving physics are shit.
I have no sim racing experience so I was wondering if anybody could point out how it's different.

is there any way to pirate pCARS dlc? shit costs the same as the base game

they're extremely arcadely, AWD cars literally cannot lose traction for one. also for some reason h-shifter setup feels like shit, it goes into gear very slowly. i only play it every now and then because #jdmtyte

>they're extremely arcadely
Yeah, but the thing is, that is rather vague for somebody like me.
>AWD cars literally cannot lose traction for one
This is a better example, more like this please.

>also for some reason h-shifter setup feels like shit, it goes into gear very slowly
Doesn't that depend on the car upgrades? Like the starting car transmission takes 0.5 seconds to kick in, while in later stages you get a better transmission that lets you shift faster.

How is it? Looks fun, are you confined to only germany?

if it's anything like Shift without tweaking the settings, car handling felt very unnatural especially without a wheel to play with. Drifting cars there are terrible even with all the assists off and cornering comes with some hideous understeer most of the time. Cars even like to spin out for almost no reason while going flat out.

These of course were minimized slightly with car upgrades but to in retrospect, games like in Forza 3 even had better handling than this in stock. Tuning the cars in Shift barely helps either to fix this

After watching a bunch of '90s WRC vids, I felt like playing GT2 and racing with the rally cars again

fuck, low-end torque is fun

>tfw your feetsies get tired after a long day of racing on your Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
:^(

can i use your g27 while you take a break
i wanna use a wheel

for a low price of 400 dollars you may

not him, but it's broken as fuck. Wait with the buy. The games idea is great, but it's very very buggy.

I just have no words for happened there

rubbing is racing

>gain on people in corners
>they pull away when accelerating out of corners
>wonder why this happens
>turn off TC
>still happens (see webm)
>forget to turn TC back on
>lose control

>getting overtaken in the last lap

My tires were pretty much flatspotted toast by this point, so the last couple of laps were quite painful.

So, around when will shitbox race start?

gtfo hank

It's in the way the game engine simulates the handling of the cars. True "sims" do this by simulating the actual motion and interaction of the various suspension components and how the act and react to various forces applied to or by them i.e. isimotor chassis solver. They will also simulate grip and friction between rubber tires and a road surface.

An "arcade" racer uses simple functions to accomplish this i.e. if button "x" is held, accelerate object in a certain direction by f(x). This is why arcade racers will sometimes handle in odd or very specific ways. There are only so many functions applied to so many situations, so the car in an arcade racer might be impossible to drift, or recover from slides on its own without the player having to do anything.

But Shift games uses isimotor chassis solver.

do you have a single fact to back this up

>AC

oi aspiration can you please post your controller settings for ac senpai

Not this guy But the guy who asked the original question
speedhunters.com/2011/02/shift2_unleashed_gt_gt_on_the_subject_of_physics/

Does this article have any information? I am a clueless fuck when it comes to all of this so you tell me if this is any useful.

>thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=GjnadPBMJGs

>unironically racing in AC

You could be having close, clean racing for a reasonable price over at iRacing.comâ„¢'s World Class Motorsports Simulation.

>paying monthly for a videogame

How cute.

Why is RaceRoom not more popular? Content is a lot cheaper than iRacing. Is the netcode bad?

>shitbox racing won't become a series

You're almost as bad at webms as driving

Not everyone is born gud like you

Last I heard yes. Plus when it came out it was fucking awful.

>S7R with fantasy livery
>fantasy track
>ridiculous colour coded brake markers on all tracks
>the worst UI in the known universe
>physics were actually sort of okay but because the wheel settings were completely fucked and nonsensical it drove like a bus

>time trial only for like two years
>ran like shit for ages
>f2p model and pricing used to be absolutely awful

For most of the time the game has been out it's been really bad, so it has a woeful reputation.

>it's not fair I'm not good at everything, it can't be because other people actually learned to get better

Nice dubs, but your mistake was catching a kerb in an Audi. Big no no.

who shit in your breakfast this morning

Who made you a massive bitchboy

I just was annoyed because the comment didn't really tell me what I did wrong in this situation (apart from ofcourse losing control at the end)

I know that I'm far from being actually good, both when making setups and driving in general, but what was the problem with the corners before the end?

>inb4 you refered to me losing control as being bad
Well no shit, I can figure out that much.

You should watch more racing. The field compressing into corners and spreading out out of them is normal.

Because they're in front of you they get to get on the throttle earlier so of course they pull away.

I think shift qualifies as simcade. I was just giving a general idea of what differentiates "sim" from "arcade"

>"Let's punish people for being fast and practicing!"

Take it with a grain of salt. That's a paid advertisement.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Shift 2 used elements of isimotor, especially the chassis solver, since those are easy to plug and play. They'd also give a more "real" feel than something like NFS.

That said, you get out of it what you put into it. A hardcore sim would have complex aerodynamic simulation, more than just adding a layer of grip to the tires to simulate it, it would compute and simulate downforce at various points all over the body of the car, a compute how downforce at those points would act upon the various sprung parts of the car and how that would effect the tire contact patch and grip of the tires. Additionally, you tire simulation would need to calculate slip angles, heat simulation, and friction between the contact patch and the surface of the road.

A simcade game might have a basic suspension for FWD, RWD, and AWD that is copy/pasted across all cars. Differentiating between them might involve simply adding or subtracting engine power and changing weight distribution around.

I can't speak specifically for Shift 2, I don't know how complex their physics simulation is.

>monthly payments
>simracing dads who won't even let you swear
>no dank memes
>$16.99 for each track
>$16.99 for each car
>fake physics and bullshit tire model because iRacing are lazy cunts

>I would rather hotlap for half an hour than actually have a competitive race!

shitter who's never actually been fast enough to lead by a mile detected

So if you want to be competitive, why not just git gud instead of resorting to bullshit like ballasts?

>watch rally
>get hype
>go play circuit racing games

In around 10 hours and 5 minutes for this post, the qualify for the first shitbox race will start.

t. impoverished iberian shitter

The vanilla game has spongy driving feel. The cars, even while having traction and moving in pretty much a straight line tend to wobble left and right with stock tires and suspension. It was for some reason intentionally made this way by manipulating the centre of weight of certain parts (allegedly), and there are mods that fix it, but it still doesn't feel right, the steering and the feel of the handling is not as direct and enjoyable as in proper sims.

>About the equivalent of buying a brand new AAA game once a year if you pay monthly
>Copious swearing
>t is a meme
>Cars $11.95, tracks $14.95
>Physics and FFB aren't great but the Audi R8 feels virtually identical in iRacing as it does in AC so someone is doing something right
Poor person bitter about not being able to afford it confirmed

*if you pay yearly herp a derp

why do you even bother replying to James

>The vanilla game has spongy driving feel
> the steering and the feel of the handling is not as direct and enjoyable as in proper sims.
>not as direct
Would it be possible to elaborate on that?
I am trying to understand what exactly am I missing in terms of handling on a simcade vs full sim.