Is there any sense in buying a 456 for the performance when there are newer, cheaper and faster cars out there?

Is there any sense in buying a 456 for the performance when there are newer, cheaper and faster cars out there?

Does it drive particularly well or have some sort of intangible quality to it that would make it worth the maintenance and headaches over something like a Cayman S, E46 M3, etc.?

Assuming you give literally zero fucks about the heritage of the badge, obviously.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't think any newer, cheaper, faster cars have bottomed out in value like the 456.

A new mustang is faster, but will be worth half what you paid in a year.

They are not performance cars, they are very soft, the seat is easily the comfiest I've ever sat in, feels like a La-Z-Boy. They aren't particularly fast, the steering feel is good, the manual trans cars are kind of fun to drive but there's way more autos. The maintenance is rough, the shocks die all the time and only one or two people in the US can rebuild them, any seal can leak at any time just like every Ferrari. If you want performance get a 550 or 575.

you know GT doesn't stand for gin & tonic, right
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

That style though...

I want the old Ferrari, where the cars were equally seen as works of art. Nowadays they come across as cold, over-engineered space ships with no personality.

It's kind of the Ferrari for people who don't want to show off they own a Ferrari... Very understated styling.

My favorite part about the 456 is the hood, you can't tell so much when it's closed but the hood and fenders are all the same piece and it opens in an interesting manner, gives the front end a really different look. I do agree about the new front engine V12 cars, I don't like the 599 or F12 very much, too big, too stiff, 550s and 575s are just perfect. 458s and 488s don't feel cold or over engineered to me though, they are great looking cars.

Agreed on the 550 and 575. I love those cars too.

As far as the new stuff, the 360 looked ugly IMO, and I'm not a big fan of anything really after that.

As far as cold, and over-engineered my argument is more suited towards the automatics and everything being computer controlled

God, I forgot how drop dead gorgeous this car was.

Also, you perked my curiosity on the hood. Didnt know that! Now if i can find a hood-up pic haha

360 is just bland but a decent looking car, 430 is kind of ugly with the squared off rear fenders. Spiders look way better than the coupes for both cars. There hasn't been an auto Ferrari since the 456

They removed the third pedal didn't they?

tfw no 308 gtb qv

life is suffering

fuck, I'd gladly accept poverty spec 208 GTB/GTS too

They look awesome but they aren't fun to drive, or maintain, you aren't missing much

Hnng, I would love a 550 or 575. A V12 GT Ferrari would be such a great DD in Florida.

The dream would really be an FF because of how ugly they are, or a 599 would be incredible, buf I'm sure they would cost quite a bit more. And the appeal of the 550 or 575 would be getting it in black, dark blue, or another quiet color like silver and having 80% or normies thinking it's an old Corvette.

I've actually driven a silver Superamerica and hardly anyone noticed it, then you drive a red Mondial convertible and people are taking pictures of it everywhere you go. The SAs are really cool but the tops delaminate and the mechanism to open it and the ECU can also have problems, a new top is over $20k. Normal 550s and 575s aren't too bad on maintenance, same problem with the shocks as the 456 I mentioned earlier but they seem to last longer, and the F1 clutch on the 575 doesn't last long just like all the F1 cars, the manual ones are great though.

How long do the clutches normally last? I remember you saying something stupid for Maserati clutches like that.

Any car makers with a similar system that seems to last more that a few thousand miles without a major bill?

Maserati DuoSelect is pretty much the exact same thing as Ferrari F1 trans cars except they are heavier and people drive them more retardedly and more often, but for either car they can go bad anywhere from 5k miles to maybe 25k miles if you are extremely lucky/careful. Most cars with DCTs or other systems like that have wet clutches which last much longer, the dry clutch sequential type trans like the F1/DuoSelect is fairly unique. The 458/F12 forwards have wet clutch DCTs,

yeah i figured, visually though they make me rock hard

sound, steering, brake and shift feel, balance, adjustability, driving position, throttle response and calibration
here you go lad

Thats kickass!