Volvo 850 R

Should I pull the trigger on one? There's a couple in my area. I would prefer the wagon but the Swedes can still make a hell of a sedan.

Other urls found in this thread:

humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5531188058.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Fn06BFdDejo
desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5550212501.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think these is where volvo stopped being reliable.

Nope.

Do it! Me and my buddy were just discussing how all the 850Rs disappeared in our area. I regularly watch the volvos on CL in a busy area and I haven't seen a clean one running in about 2 years. It happened so suddenly. There always used to be 1 or maybe two at a time. I wonder if they all found good homes or are in pick a parts. The 850 is a good car.

They are fun but if the timing belt goes you're fucked

That goes for every car with a timing belt.

Second to last sedan that Volvo made before Ford bought them, the last being the S70.
I own an S70 T5 in stick, if you can find a manual 850R, I would be absolutely astonished.
Drives well and has fucking awesome styling, also have that beautiful low Volvo howl.
Good luck.

I thought some of the red blocks had non-interference engines, so it wouldn't fuck them too hard if the belt busted.

Then dont be a nigger. Change it when its due. How fucking hard can it be to maintain the engine.

Nice wheels. I like the older style R wheels a little better though. I'd settle for a a cheap set of either though. I also don't believe we got any 850s with manual above GLT trim in the US.

Lol this is what I was about to say. Just remember to rotate the crank around twice when you're done to check your marks.

>maine
>old car
>no rust

explain

Volvo galvanized steel, probably.

Jesus fuck. Did your mommy undercook your chicken tendies or what? Where the fuck did all that pointless rage come from?
>implying my statement means i own an old volvo for the purpose of having it stranded on the side of the road and not just commenting that they have non-interference engines
You need to dial down the REEEEEEEE just a bit, user.

Only bother with the rwd volvos. The 850 is much nicer and less dated but wrong wheel drive has its limits

That would be everything after the 1st gen V70/S70, and at the point Ford took over.

Well, il say the years 00-02 where problematic for Volvo/Ford, in terms of quailty with the new S/V line. Mainly faulty ETMĀ“s. from 2003 and forward they improved alot in terms of quality and such.

I fucking adore Volvos, bruh.

>850 is really nice
>but no hektic drifts
>so get something with less horsepower and torque
pls meme somewhere else dagumi
>here's the key, there's the door

if it's less than $3k do it. You will have lots of fun.
>Upsides:
>reliable hoon platform
>Rs are already upgraded for drop in 25 hp over 850 Turbos so a few Benjamins and an afternoon already saved
>decent highway MPGs
>fuel pumps are know to die but easy fix, no tank drop
>the legacy of turbobrick
>Downsides:
>ABS module will/has already failed
>PCV system is over-engineered and difficult to service
>MAF sensors tend to die after 10-15 years
>control arms and ball joints are one unit on later 850s
>suspension is hard as rocks and eats struts even with bilsteins
>if you're taking it anywhere without a road get a skid pan
>fuel lines run on bottom of vehicle, very easy to lose hose housing/ aquire dangling fuel hoses

I looked it up and my S70 is literally one of only 361 imported in the US.

>Implying it would be expensive to make a 2/7/940 faster than a T5R
>Implying it wouldn't be worth it because RWD
>Implying there is any reason to get a turbobrick that's FWD, beats the purpose of being a boxy volvo

>shitposting this hard in an 850 thread

I miss my regular 850. Go for it OP.

this is the CHP, we're hijacking this thread for love of P80 chassis
>stupid taxpayers won't fund it

i almost bought one
really wanted a wagon but good luck finding one
same with a manual

Old bill's here, no need to call the copsicles

gl finding a 7/9/40/60 in the US in manual, or turbo.

humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5531188058.html
where's my prize?

>k
Cheap af here in sweden, can easily find decent condition turbo volvo's for less than 1000 dollars easily

>from 2003 and forward they improved alot in terms of quality and such.
Even if they improved everything else, for V/S70s most of what you'll find is the AWD variants (S70 AWD/V70 XC/XC70) and which are FUCKING TRASH.

>automatic
>250k miles

>moving goalposts
watch your step while you backpedal

>250k miles on a redblock
>implying that's any sort of problem
it's a turbobrick user what's your problem?
youtube.com/watch?v=Fn06BFdDejo

you're tistic
FWD turbo sport masterrace

Shit can go wrong on 850Rs and be more expensive to fix compared to 7/900 turbo series.

Not a single 850R or 850 turbo came to the U.S. in manual.

Its basically a tuned 850 turbo, which are cheaper and easier to find in wagon.

I found my turbo 745 manual up in canada, 2000$

desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5550212501.html

What the general consensus on this one? Gonna ask for some more images tomorrow.

>that vid

aaand i am regretting i bought an FWD brick

Ask mileage too.

>automatic

T5M is pretty rare. I think I've only ever seen two for sale here.

I have a '13 S60... ask me what you wish.
>muh Ford
>muh Chinks
They're far from as bad as you make out. Certainly tons more reliable still than Merc and BMW, if only because I have an original Volvo 5 cylinder diesel.

The other parts I'm not so sure about.

why didn't you buy an 850?

>diesel s60
yuropeen pls go

Looking to trade up, to a S60N 11-13
Which engine version, do you recommend?

>why didn't you buy an 850?
Because I wanted a car from this century

>yuropeen pls go
No bully. Gas is expensive af here.

Try to get the model year 2013 (manufacture date around 9/2012). It has the upgraded city safety, a nicer stick and some other small benefits.

>Which engine version, do you recommend?

Petrol:
>T5
if you can get it because it's the only 5 cylinder turbo
>T4
is okay too but it's a 1.6L Ford engine
>T6
uses too much for what it offers, imo if you want this kind of speed get a BMW

Diesel:
>D2
is acceptable if you want a super efficient low power car, it's a decent Renault engine, performance is of course an afterthought
>D3 136HP
it's underpowered and drinks too much due to 5 cylinder, imo this is a bad combination of power and mileage, avoid it for that reason BUT it's not a bad engine or unreliable per se, it's quiet for a diesel especially compared to Audi TDI
>D3/D4 163hp
best of both worlds, it's a 5 cylinder diesel which auto mags have rated as the best sounding diesel engine they've driven, and it has enough power to carry you, of course it's not a racer but it's fast enough to catch and overtake any 4 cylinder BMW
>D5 205/215HP
avoid at all cost, it sounds like a fucking truck diesel, it has performance yes but at too great a price. it's too much raw diesel for this cars body to handle. also this mileage defeats the point of diesel

great info! thanks user.

Also, make sure you don't get anything older than model year 2012 because from that year you get a better turbo which you don't wanna miss.