ITT Best and worst things about working in NYC

ITT Best and worst things about working in NYC

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/26/metro-derailed-by-culture-of-complacence-incompete/
washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/ntsb-begins-two-days-of-public-hearings-into-fatal-metro-incident/2015/06/22/1884da66-190e-11e5-93b7-5eddc056ad8a_story.html?tid=a_inl
washingtonpost.com/opinions/stand-by-stand-by/2015/06/24/db8d3474-1ab0-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html?utm_term=.2f4c1f326a1f
washingtonian.com/2015/12/09/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages/
youtube.com/watch?v=Woqa4slhUw0
wmata.com/rail/safetrack.cfm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

best> networking/opportunities
worst> rent/lonliness

maybe you should invent an app to help ppl in nyc network and get together at cheap yet hip venues.

Best - being near london.
Worst - being in England.

I work in NJ and live in Jersey. Definitely wouldn't want to live in the city, I need a place to go back to that's got peace and quiet.

pros
>big earning potential
>networking opportunities, including international
>top institutions
>finance center of the world
>it's cool the first year

cons
>everything is expensive. 14 dollar commute including subway. Bottled water is 2 dollars at a cuckreade
>smells like poo ass
>too many people everywhere, like all the time
> you're underground most of the time anyway

Pretty accurate

I commuted from Clifton to NYC for a year. It's cool because you get to brag that you work in the city, until you realize how expensive and exhausting it is.

Right now I would need to be offered about 20k more that what I'm making now for it to be worth it.

TL;DR been there done that. eh.

>lonliness
huh?

How do people even afford to live there? I've always wanted to live in a city and of course NY is at the top of my list but seeing the prices of everything it seems to me that its not feasible to live a good life there if you earn less than 200k a year.

Is everyone in NY miserable or living with 5 other people in a tiny ass apartment?

Unless you're very well off or your parents pay for everything, you will probably live in a tiny shitbox somewhere in Astoria, Bed Stuy or the Bronx/Harlem. Most of my friends in the city either live in graduate housing (dorm style) or share a teeny, rat-infested pit with 3 other people. After spending half your income on rent and another quarter on eating out every night, there's not much left.

work in NYC live in Jersey**
Yooo homie. How's it feel to ride that bus route back each day. Those lines in the hot ass terminals.
Unless you're taking the train that sucks a little less

What a horrible way to live.

What are cities that have good employment opportunities and lots of culture (art,music etc)
Ive always liked Seattle too but I hear it's also very expensive.

Yeah I used to take the train. Free parking at Clifton station breh (>o.o)>

Used to take the train into Hoboken, then the PATH to WTC, then walk down to the financial district. Fuck those cruel winter mornings...

When I worked in Hoboken I actually used to drive back and forth to MSU... man that traffic sucked. I would stay late at work just to not have to sit in traffic.

Minneapolis is pretty awesome. The people are strikingly nice and the opportunities are great.

The only thing that i can really think of that sucks is the cold (and i mean reallllly fucking cold) weather that the city experiences for 3-4 months.

Christ bro. Well, anything beats driving in your own car

A friend of mine recently went to Seattle, likes it a lot. Lots of young liberals and art students

yeah especially in a manual lol

Where in jersey are you?

Nothing. You literally have to be a faggot to enjoy NYC. On your off time you can enjoy seeing a music all aboyt homos, meet up with some sjw type idiots for $20 cocktails, and then have casual gay sex in a disgusting bathroom somewhere. I am retiring young to a ranch West of the Mississippi asap.

Atlanta. Not as much culture but it's cheap and everyone is friendly

You might as well go on the other side of the Hudson. Smack across the river it's an easy commute and you don't have to bleed money.

Uhg kill me

NYC isn't near London or in England, m8

lern 2 reed

the shittiest thing is the cost of living.

literally can live like a king anywhere else in the country with a salary that is worth pennies in manhattan. anywhere with a decent commute into manhattan is also expensive, as are all the cities surrounding manhattan, and the suburbs and the transit costs to get to and from the city.

my buddy spends $400 a month to ride the fucking bus 1.5 hours into the city everyday. then add a subway pass $115, plus the commute to a from the bus station to his house.

nigga is like spending $600 a month and 3.5 hours a day just on getting to the city.

Chicago nigga, come over and get shot. Not really though its an amazing city.

Okay so get rich first then move to the city, got it.

You fucking nigger, dont you dare compare Astoria to fuckin Bed-Stuy or Harlem.

Non-NYer confirmed.

t. astorian

Best
>Highest earning opportunity of practically anywhere
>great networking/connection opportunity
>center of literally everything
Worst
>EXPENSIVE AS FUCK
>no seriously, 100-200k/yr is bare minimum to live in Manhattan or any other richfag areas

Other than the costs, it's one of the best places you can be.

T. Manhattanfag

Where in the fuck is your pal living that he has that kind of insane commute? If he's single, his ass can just move somewhere closer to the city.

One thing people haven't mentioned is the sheer advantages of massive population. Things like craigslist are very, very deep pools.

I have gotten many thousands in high quality furniture on CL. I have a piano worth $12k that I got for the cost of having it moved. An entire garage gym put together for $500 in total, all from running a search a night and setting some alerts on CL.

kek, true

i lived in all three and Astoria is far nicer.
Five years ago was cheap, now rents have gone up crazy (although groceries and restaurants are still reasonable)

Bes Stuy is gentrifying as well, but still cheap (and shitty) for the next few years for sure

The best: easy good pussy
The worst: the commute from Hoboken

I'm in NYC a lot for cases.

BEST:
>Tons of women down to hookup
>Restaurant scene
>Museums

WORST:
>Lack of real nature
>Fucking awful infrastructure and buildings
>95% of people self-absorbed assholes
>Unreasonably cramped
>Inability to drive/park easily
>Ridiculous costs of living in Manhattan

To be honest, I think NYC is extremely overrated and I loathe every bit of it. Here in DC, I can live in my large, extremely quiet apartment and hop in my car to drive ~1 hour for a great kayaking or hiking adventure. Can't do that in NYC.

Why the fuck are you buying water at duane reade, it's funny watching people who aren't from new york talk about what it's like in new york

Living in Jersey is so much better if you work in NYC. I live in Hoboken/Jersey City and its seriously way better if you don't live on a main street.

>best
muh if I can work in NYC I can work anywhere meme

>worst
the people
the smell
the traffic
the cost of living
rats and bedbugs in even the most luxurious places

I'd rather work in a booming metro with low cost of living like Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

>booming metro
>Atlanta, Dallas

Kiddie Tables.

It's true. A lot of us bike throughout the winter too. Minnesota nice is a great stereotype.

how cheap can u go for rent in hobo/jersey city in like a 3 bedroom

where would you look for listings ?

>dat money
>dat pee smell

>everywhere

My college roommate just got hired in Dallas making $140K as a Python developer. I'm very jealous.

NYC or Manhattan?

The bed bugs alone make me think NYC is a third world shit hole.

Just look up the local real estate guides + craigslist. You can get even better deals in
Weehawken, West New York, and Union City that have a similar type commutes to NYC

Could you survive in nyc on minimum wage?

It can be done but it is no fun at all.

Toronto my nigga

Washington DC. You can live in Northern VA and spend 2 hours to commute 10 miles

klique

Bedbugs are everywhere.

Chicago

Yeah, but you can't effectively treat bedbugs in areas that aren't both incredibly high in population and slums. The only way to get rid of bedbugs in new york is to use shit the EPA has banned, or burn half the city to the ground.

They run away and hide in cracks or simply aren't affected by most pesticides. With all the run down apartments with ready access to the interior walls, it's functionally impossible to remove an infestation in a large building without enormous costs. Thanks to rent control, there's no way any landlord is going to approve that if they can possibly avoid it. It's cheaper to just ignore it and let the building eventually get condemned. It's not like they'll get around to inspecting it any time soon either. Shit's so backlogged that in some areas it can easily take 5 years to shut down a structurally unsound building. Bed bugs are pretty minor in comparison.

> this kills the man

Born in the suburbs of Chicago, now live in a nice neighborhood in the North side of the city. Shits great. My girlfriend and I collectively make around 80k and are doing fine with our expenses.

+ I haven't got shot despite common misconceptions

I nearly had a mental breakdown because of a daily best case 3.5 hour commute. cracked and moved in the city.

Depends. That's certainly the case right now because of the Metro being ruined, but generally speaking you can get from the Arlington area to inner DC within 10-30 mins. Honestly, the biggest issue right now is the fact that all the Sunday drivers are now on the road, which caused a fucking multi-car pile-up last Tuesday on the GW Parkway involving multiple cars, trucks, etc.

The Metro and that fucking streetcar are like cautionary tales. The Metro has gotten particularly hilarious: the Metro got caught discriminating against white people and generally being fuckabouts, the story got buried, and then the ACTUAL FUCKING FIREBALLS start appearing. The streetcar is even better: idiots in the DC government buy streetcars for millions, don't know what to do with them, one disintegrates while everyone fucks about, they put the remaining streetcar in the hood and whine when the gangbangers in Anacostia aren't riding the choo choo train.

moved here in feb.

lived on wall st until july...now i live on upper east side.

made 55k base out of school which is like higher than norm back home, but OT/bonus puts me at ~80k.

rent and everything is super expensive, have a steal on my current apartment (i live alone, no bed bugs, good location, etc), so i am making good money and saving good money but it could be great.

kinda stuck in my position and trying to move somewhere more numbers/project-based but struggling bc 1.5 yrs experience only ;-;

so...kinda stuck here. not sure how i feel. don't really talk to many people that are not work/industry-related.

ps tl;dr in client facing production team trying to get into investment banking or asset mgmt but stuck and also in NYC so basically cruise mode

making ok money and good for future but feels like waste.

anyone else in NYC?

How many do you pay for rent, just wondering?

What is the average salary in NY?

I am trying to understand this:
How the fuck can average salary be of 60-70k$ (pretax I assume?) when you need at least 100k (after tax I assume) to live relatively comfortably?

Are most people living like shit or homeless in there?

>Are most people living like shit

ding ding ding

we have a winrar

They live in a perma "college/university" culture. They live in dorms or share an apartment with 3-4 people.

Fuck that must suck mayor donkey balls.

I can't live in less than 2 bedroom apartment to feel good. Would suck in NY, thank god I'm in the Baltics.

Yeah pretty much. My girlfriend is in grad school and lives in student housing on the upper west side. Basically it's a small bedroom with a desk and closet, and communal kitchen, showers, study areas. Many of the people who live there aren't even students anymore but they can't afford much better.

everyone's constantly moving, and living very tentative lives, it's hard to make real connections

>The Metro has gotten particularly hilarious: the Metro got caught discriminating against white people and generally being fuckabouts, the story got buried, and then the ACTUAL FUCKING FIREBALLS start appearing.

Explain?

>not really though
>500 murders in 2016

I've heard Nashville is pretty good for that

First, the Metro has been infamously poorly run:
washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/26/metro-derailed-by-culture-of-complacence-incompete/
>The homogeneity, interviews with dozens of current and former Metro workers indicated, is a proxy to a clubby culture of favoritism in which merit has little to do with promotions, and accountability, such as noting safety violations, is a career death knell. In typical examples, court and Metro records show, a black man who spent eight years in prison for dealing PCP was promoted to a high-level management position soon after his release, and whites in the same positions as blacks with far less seniority are inexplicably paid less.

>It is a culture in which a white male engineer near completion of a Ph.D. was passed over for a management position in favor of a black man who was barely literate, multiple staffers said.

washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/ntsb-begins-two-days-of-public-hearings-into-fatal-metro-incident/2015/06/22/1884da66-190e-11e5-93b7-5eddc056ad8a_story.html?tid=a_inl

washingtonpost.com/opinions/stand-by-stand-by/2015/06/24/db8d3474-1ab0-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html?utm_term=.2f4c1f326a1f
washingtonian.com/2015/12/09/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages/

The D.C. government is kinda infamous for this shit, but the Metro has been a shining example of it.

The fireball incident stands for itself:
youtube.com/watch?v=Woqa4slhUw0

It's now gotten so bad that the Metro is selectively shutting down huge swaths of the line. The program is "Safetrack:"
wmata.com/rail/safetrack.cfm

It's forcing a lot of metro riders to use roads, which has made my commute a living hell.

Neat. I never go to DC, so I didn't know about this. The racism really isn't surprising, given some of the shit I've seen coming out of DC, but I had no idea it was that substantially fucked up.

It's always amusing to me how such blatant racism against any group winds up with such poorly run systems.

>I know, lets promote incompetent people to positions of power. There's no way this is going to cost us money

Racism is fucking dumber than family nepotism in small businesses. It just doesn't help. OK, maybe all of the black/white/asian/hispanic people applying for a position are incompetent, but at that point, it has nothing to do with their race. The problems are further back down the chain with their upbringing and education. To implement quotas is actively detrimental, and to simply push for one race above another, especially if qualifications lean the other way, is just suicidal. The fact that people in high end positions of power can believe otherwise continues to fucking baffle me.

this