/hhg/ - Hot Hatch General

I'm seeing way too many "Is (Hot Hatch) good?" threads? Does anyone have any experience with them?" threads pop us these days, and the Fiesta ST, and FWD vs RWD shitposting are taking Veeky Forums by storm at the minute, so I think it's time we gave our beloved econobox pocket rockets their own little thread. Talk experiences, ask for advice and questions and generally shitpost.

A thread for our beloved econobox pocket rockets. Talk experiences, ask for advice and questions and generally shitpost about the Fiesta ST.

>"I finally need another one, mine is dead" Edition
Which modern hot hatch would you buy?

Previous Thread: Ages ago

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take of on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Ayy, who else /God Machine/?

le god hatch

Damn rights

how does it feel to be able to make a u turn on most streets without reversing

>revvy, NA 1.6l engine
>weighs just over 1000kg
>136hp, 160nm
>awesome 6-speed manual
>cheap
>not ANGRY like everything else these days
Why is the Swift Sport so based?

I assume is pretty nice

Last time I was able to do that was in a honda prelude with 4ws

i guess the fiesta turning radius is only slightly better then

>fiesta st: 17.75
>focus st: 18.7

My Clio RS is probably very dead. Still waiting for the police to pass it to my insurer to assess. Not sure what to look at replacing it with.

These are very tempting.

Driven this, was mad fun. Is also being considered, but worried about it lacking a little compared to the ex-Clio and the Fiesta etc.

Looks like an interesting project, track car?

Fucking Renault, why did you not let this happen
3.5 V6 in a small MR hatch would be as hot as you can get

nope just pulled the interior because of a flood. e30 had it much worse
was fun driving around under 45 mph, a lot more to hear. anything over and the road noise was crazy

friend's is the black one. hes trading for a fiesta st soon probably

You could snap up a €500 Twingo and drop it off at Lazareth for a while, and get a 3.5l veeate-powered MR Twingo back if you pay them enough cash.

That sucks!

>tfw no recaros

Are the Recaro's not standard on US models?

"hot hatches" are for cucks, the only people who buy them are either poorfags/authoritarian nanny state dwellers who can't afford a real sports car or faggots who think they actually are sports cars and mod them to look and sound like shit

The recaros sold me. I have 13 focus St in blue

nope it's extra
pic related a dealer had a 'ford racing' SE fiesta.

how much do you slide around while getting hektik

They're a $2k option here. My fiesta was the only ST they had on the lot and it didn't come with them but I bought it anyway

Not too bad actually

I like those ford racing wheels

>tfw I drive a skyactiv 2.0 and a speed3 passes me on the freeway

I drive a Speed3 and every single time that I pass someone in a standard 3 or 6 I feel bad about it and I wonder if any of them ever wish that they had my car but they probably don't even notice or know what my car is, or if they do they don't care and they probably hate me because life is pain and all things are pointless especially me buying another car to uselessly try and make me feel something other than hopelessness and disdain while cruising down the highway listening to Neutral Milk Hotel at 90 miles an hour of pure sad hothatch action devoid of passion because it is FWD and even I cringe about it and everyone in a standard Mazda3 or 6 again, probably doesn't care because they're on their way home to their wife and kids and I'm just wasting time and gas thinking about going home to play the Culling by myself and try to team with people but they just steal my stuff and kill me.

I never see anyone with a focus St around town. I am all alone.

What's the worst attempt at a hot hatch? Pic related?

Not as alone as I am

I see focus STs all the time here, hardly any fiestas

Does anyone have a Golf R on this board? I'm partial to it because muh dad is a vw mechanic.

The S stands for special (ed)

fiesta st a good daily driver or should I go for a non st ford focus hatch for increased practicality?

hey guys, if you look far back enough, there's a civic fag in the back.

5 weeks old and already 1800 miles

fun car

Houston bro?

I'm pulling the interior from my Civic for the same reasons.

Fuck you, I have one of these and its fun.

BRECON BOYZ

Why are there so many goddamn Hyundai Velosters for sale in my area?

Are they shit?

Non turbo is shit; I have a turbo and its pretty nice, the only concern I have is that the handling is kinda shit .

Yes

Suckadick

They're shit. Bad handling, >korean build quality, and they're not fast at all. Take every insult ever thrown at the GT86 for being slow and underpowered and multiply by 3 for the Veloster

also >one door on left two doors on right

STOP TALKING SHIT ABOUT MY DD YOU KEKS

Fuck Brecon, i'm only up there for the roads senpai

>he has to ask if hyundai is shit

wew lad

1 more year till i finish my degree. still have to test drive the gti, and if honda does good with their si coupe, then that as well. as it stands, the fiesta st is at the top of my list.

Spotted the self conscious owner of a veloster

Don't forget about the focus RS m8

The dealer markup on those is crazy though

i'm honestly looking at around $20k, not 50. markup on the rs is insane

the markup on the RS is retarded

you can get a cayman for that kind of money

I forgot about dealers being faggots. They msrp for $35k on Ford site

yeah you'll have to wait a bit to get one for a realistic price

Yup, base model GT350's are selling for more than the msrp of a GT350R

even if i could get one OTD for 35k, i've been seeing pretty solid examples of the fiesta st going for under $18k OTD. The car payment on an 18k vs 35k car is a huge difference when you're fresh out of college.

depends on the area and how many are sitting on lots. I got mine for 21.5k with recaros which was well worth it as an upgrade

Feels nice

sure, like i said in , i want to stay around 20, 21.5k would be fine. if there was some way to actually get an rs for 35k, i still couldn't afford the kind of car payment that goes with something that much.

i also have to see how i fit in the recaros. they were tight in the focus, but only tried cloth in the fiesta. i've heard they break in and really make the car - so i put up with a little tight as long as they become comfy after an initial break in period.

>with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US

That moment when your car is forgotten.

the fiesta recaros are a small bit tighter than the recaros in the focus but the base level seats are much worse than the base seats in the focus.

I've never had anyone that weighed more than 160 in my car so I can't say how they perform on larger people

i'm 6'2" 195. if the recaros are too tight, i might just opt for the cloth.

Focus St was my first car. Got it for 21k otd. Payed cash though. Good luck

At least the Focus ST are more common place. The 2013 ST had close to more produced than the SVT focus total.

>3,984 other 3 doors of my year
>177 of them in the same color

Odds are I'll never even see another SVT, let alone one who shares the same color.

I want to buy one

I don't know if it's going to Europe, but the Sandero R.S is pretty good.

Would eat the Clio's sales so probably not. Dacia is purely the barebones, utilitarian brand over here (and the Sandero is a Dacia over here, too).

I'm 6'2" and 210, they fit me great.

You'll be fine in the recaros my friend is your height but 250. He liked the seat. PS they're supposed to be snug but not painful

should the first thing i do when i get a fist is get an aftermarket rear motor mount?

I know it's a long shot considering this is Veeky Forums but does anyone here have a 2016 Golf R?

Considering it is one of the few models that are left hand drive to be built in Germany, how has maintenance been? Cost?

Is the cabin as quiet as people say it is?

There are two anons with R's that have posted previously, so hopefully they drop in.

Yes.

yeah man

you coming to the meet ?

I'm not much of an Veeky Forums frequenter, and my car is certainly not meet-worthy.

Been browsing craigslist for months trying to find something I really want, because I want a good excuse to dump my Civic.

I'm almost afraid to buy 3rd party at this point due to all the flooding.

CRX master race checking in

would love to get a crx, but most are either modded to shit by mexicans, stolen by mexicans, or hilariously overpriced

God machine reporting in

I got pretty lucky, also I didn't really mind run down ones as long as they were stock.
I've got an Si (That's staying stock) and a carby that I want to throw a D16a1 in for track use.
Paid less than $2k for both combined, just gotta get lucky and respond fast to the ads

They are enjoyable to drive, and pretty comfy.

Question Veeky Forums.
What do you guys think of making a hot hatch out of something never intended or ever offered as one?
Like say a GM LSJ swapped Chevy Aveo?

had enough dealings with craigslist mexicans here in so-cal to last a lifetime. i can live without a crx.

Trust me, it's not much better in the SF Bay.
If you don't mind a drive check the inland empire for stuff.

I rode in a three different first gen focus and they all shook like hell

or an L34 swapped Aveo. The L34 is the 2.0L found in the Suzuki Forenza and Reno. The engine is a direct drop in to the Aveo only changing the engine and ECU (otherwise it will run lean. It'll run on the 1.6L ECU, but not perfectly).
And then since it's basically an Opel 2.0L, you can turbocharge them cheaply using German OPC parts.

Also I like FiST circle jerkers never mention how shitty the build quality is on their cars

i live in the inland empire, private seller used car market here is awful. it's as if people here don't want to actually sell their cars.

i've had people say that they won't give out the VIN of their car. like wtf? why would i waste my time driving out to your place to look at your shitbox that turns out to be a salvage title and has been in 3 accidents.

people will sometimes not even list the mileage on their car. or they will, but will then lie about it. once you pull the record, you fucking know the cars suspicious.

and so on and so on.

My build quality isn't awful, actually better than I expected considering the Fiesta is the most base econoshitbox in Ford's line up. What are you expecting buying a Fiesta? The ST has a ton of pros, and most of it's cons chalk up to 'it's still a Fiesta'.

it's a fucking cheap ford vehicle. most owners should have no illusion about what they're getting.

I'm thinking of getting a hot hatch as a first car.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, 2-Door Golf GTI, Fiat 500 Abarth, or try to find a C30 T5?

you need to test drive them all. very subjective feels about all of them.

>shook like hell
Odd mine really doesn't, also has the rear poly mount.

I've had one with DSG for about 2 months now, can't really comment on the maintenance since I haven't even had the first oil change done yet...fun ride though

I test drove two and my input is GTI>Fiesta. Just overall quality and spaceship feel

no user first car should be a cheap shitbox

Had a glorious 08 gti, was written off and decided to get something cheaper and put the 6k difference to a house deposit, so now with a 12 focus s.

>Recaros
I've actually been hunting down a set for my Focus. I may have found one at a junk yard that recently picked up an SVT. I'm waiting on word back if they are.

post pics of based focus instead of that nazimobile

I went to a new meet location last night, saw this out there.

I know nothing about this car though.

Why? I already drive a 10 year old camry with 300k miles on it.

Fair enough, I guess it'll come down to how I feel in it.

I don't think I actually have pics of it yet even though I've had it about a month.
Also to be clear, this is the Aus model S which Americans call the SEL. The car is actually a trend (a SE in USA) but the only difference apart from the stereo is sport suspension, and since I put in the springs and front shocks from a focus ST, I am calling it an S

That's very nice but mine was never worked that much, only a revo tune.

I went to Wales for the roads once.

I woke up a few weeks later in hospital. I've been told I might never remember the accident.

Is the Honda Fit RS with the 1.4 engine considered at least a warm hatch?