Bought a 1981 BMW 320i

>bought a 1981 BMW 320i
>previous owner only had the valet key
>starts car just fine
>today, steering wheel suddenly locked up and the key won't turn in the ignition at all
>tried the key copies locksmith made
>won't fucking turn

This is such a retarded reason to not be able to start. Any ideas? I can access the steering column but the lock is inside the ignition cylinder

You decided to buy a used car, why are you surprised it broke down so quickly?

Try turning the key back and forth and shaking the wheel side to side at the same time.
I don't know about BMWs but my ford did that one time

I've had several old BMW's. Just jiggle the key and steering wheel lightly and it'll work itself out.

It's something you'll have to do by feel. There's no real instruction manual for working a key like that.

>You decided to buy BMW, why are you surprised it broke down so quickly?
Ftfy

>he doesn't know about steering locks

Is this your first car?

>I drive a new Honda Fit because mommy told me new cars are best

Even used BMWs aren't that bad, 35 year old and expecting nothing to go wrong however

You think I know how to look around a steering column but not about the concept of steering locks?

jiggle the wheel while applying pressure on the key. pretty normal, just got to find tbe sweet spot.

>get keys made up for old car you have using the VIN
>they don't fit

I fucking hate this. You'd think the dickhead could've mentioned this when selling me the car

Time to disable the steering lock and rig up a bunch of switches in place of a key.

At least that's what I would do because idgaf

>dickhead could've mentioned this when selling me the car
So he told you this like what, 1 day, 2 days, a week after selling you the car?

>He never touched a 2000's BMW.

You might need to find the sweet spot for the ignition.
I've had multiple BMW's need the correct directional pressure applied to get the key to turn.
Usually down and left.

>bought an old used European car

Of all the old crappy used Jap and murrican cars you could have bought you choose a bmw. You got what you deserved

That wasn't me. Why are you so butt-frustrated that I bought a used BMW?

Learn to use the proper reply link.

I replied to the post where you thought you were replying to me, fag.

I've never seen or spoke to you before in my life.

>used BMW

some cars can just have broken ignition switch. my car it won't turn unless you fiddle with it sometimes.. but other times it will work fine.