ITT: Automatic Transmissions

Do people still think that auto transmissions are better than manuals? I just got my first stick car a couple months ago, and i'm never going back. You can't beat it. Nothing feels better than knowing you're in control. I used to almost fall asleep at the wheel driving auto. It's just boring. People just avoid stick cause they'll actually have to drive their car. Or they can't shift for shit.

autotragic is better than manual in basically every objective category BUT manual is far, far more fun and engaging

>muh fun and engaging

Yeah it is, until you hit bumper-to-bumper traffic and then the fun goes down hill real quick.

Depends it's a slush box auto, or an automated manual "auto".

>push start car
>get any gear
>drive off

your car is easier to steal than anyone's..

>then the fun goes down hill real quick
not if you love the way your car sounds

>always use paddle shifters until post-work traffic
>switch to auto

How the fuck do you monkey around with a third pedal and manual gearbox every day for an hour getting home stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, no faster than 50km/hr?

maybe it's because I'm still young but I've literally never thought to myself "man using a clutch in this traffic sucks!"

except for
>longevity
>cost
>repairability
You should know this, since your auto tranny decided to make a nice metal shaving slushie.
DCT is better in any speed related category but still suffers from reduced longevity, and SMG is about equivalent to manual but offers nothing over it other than being able to rest your left foot and is significantly less reliable than a manual. Slushbox torque converter autos are retarded and steal your horsepower.

When done properly, a manual transmission provides a smoother ride than an auto

It's personal preference.

But for me, driving a manual car feels "right".

Putting an auto transmission from P to D feels like some cheap video game. Creep is the worst.

its called stop taking toll roads you facist scum

You let the pedal out when you're off the brake and push it in when you're on it. Pretty simple.

maybe it's because I'm old, but I never thought that using a stick shift was thrilling. Never once have I gotten a boner from it. It doesn't even take any talent.

Get a car with actual power and slam it in first gear all the way to redline.
thrills acquired

>Living in a densely populated area

I think I found your real problem

Driving in bumper to bumper traffic is easier
>If stopped don't have to press anything or touch anything
>Can use engine to brake or cruise slowly
>When traffic clears up can zoom by all the rubbernecks being a head by a mile by the time you reach cruising speed

Meh, been there, done that.

Same here.

Fast is fast. Doesn't matter to me if I'm changing gears or the car is doing it.

Probably just low test

I like the challenge of heel toe

City driving: Automatic or bust. Manual is not fun or easy to use in city driving.

Anywhere else: Manual reigns supreme. It's the only way to actually drive your car instead of just riding in your car while controlling its direction.

No different than doing the same in an auto.

>City driving
Bicycle or bust

>just riding in your car while controlling its direction
I would hate to drive behind you.
"I can't start or stop with an automatic!"

I've been driving manual cars for over 6 years now. Always manuals, being mine or my dad's.
But a few month ago my dad bought a RAV4 auto.
At first I was constantly hitting the ground with my left foot, and my hand would always hit the stick, like I was used to. It was hard at first to get used to, but when you get used to... Man.... It's like driving a bumper car.
You hit the gas and it goes, and you hit the brake and it stops, I could even get my left leg over my lap if I wanted to .
And in rush hours, is much easier since you don't have to be putting first, clutch neutral, clutch first clutch second clutch neutral clutch.... It is much more comfortable.
I can get that there's no "fun" on it but God, even my mom can drive that. The thing doesn't stall or you don't have to worry about over reving the engine. It just goes....
Would. Recommend for moms, people who's tired of driving, and people over the age of 50.

Don't worry self driving cars will replace driving.

Ree

Driving an automatic is like flying on autopilot. It's boring and you don't have to do any interacting with the vehicle. You can't feel the vehicle.

>torque converters

Bullshit. You've never driven a car.

Except no automatic is ever going to let you get that high. It's going to cuck you into 4th gear and have you do most of your acceleration there because muh emmpeejees

Great comeback.

Can confirm. Torque converter causes gas pedal to feel very disconnected, lack of direct connection between engine RPM and wheels is weird, and the "point car in direction and push pedal" style of driving makes me want to fall asleep.

Because pushing a clutch to the floor, putting it in first gear, slowly releasing the clutch while giving the engine gas, then balancing the clutch with the throttle for few seconds, letting off the clutch and taking off is somehow exhilarating

Way more engaging than

>press accelerator
>rrrrrRRRR*slump*rrrrrrrrrRRRRR*slump*rrrrrrr

The instant physical feedback you get from rev-match downshifting and then punching the accelerator is godly compared to just flooring it in a slushbox, waiting for the tranny to clunk down a gear, and then taking off.

The automatic feels lazy and awkward compared to the manual.

going back to auto is terrifying. THE CAR MOVES FORWARD BY ITSELF. what sort of demon sorcery is this. it's like they want you to rear end people at stop lights

>he will never know the joy of shifting at the peak of a song

>implying your fuel system will run without a key in the ignition lock
tripfags

It is lazy. It's boring. It's for boring people who drive boring cars on boring roads who would rather have a cheuffeur drive than drive themself. Because they don't care about cars. They want to instantly be somewhere instead of enjoying the motion between the starting point and the destination.

Have some fun - get a manual transmission

What's so joyous about that? It would suck having to wait to shift for the right musical moment. Just shift. It's easy and nothing exciting.

>it's lazy
There's nothing complicated about driving a manual transmission, infarct anyone can do it.

>it's boring
Most people don't care about rev-matching or downshifting to 2nd gear to take corner.

>it's for boring people who drive boring cars on boring roads who would rather have a chauffeur drive than drive themself

How many people are taking hairpin turns to work?

>Because they don't care about cars.

I drove manual for years, until I got an automatic and I do all the maintenance on my vehicle, I also keep up with the automotive world.

>They want to instantly be somewhere instead of enjoying the motion between the starting point and the destination

>muh feels,

Don't act like you have any fucking control of the car just because they give you those gimmicky flappy paddles.

Don't act like you have any fucking connection with your vehicle ,when the computer tells you how to shift ,how to throttle, how to interact and communicate with supposedly your vehicle.

A Car has a personality that cant be understood by simply pressing buttons like in these modern autobots, IT takes years of hitting that sweet spot in the clutch, when it graps so smoothly.Shifting into that gear at the perfect time and the car rewarding you for it by giving you its best feedback. It's something that you grow to learn with to give eachother information on how you want the to get the most out of eachother, in many ways it is a relationship. One that seems to be under attack everyday by these bean counters trying to fill their pockets.

Fuck, and they say self driving cars will never be viable. They are already fucking here

>IT takes years of hitting that sweet spot in the clutch

Sorry, but if took you years to learn how to use a clutch you're just fucking retarded and shouldn't be driving anything.

RHD is way more comfy than LHD

Nice reading comprehension.

Better? Hmm.....depends. Neither will do much to keep me awake when driving on a highway but the auto is better in the city because it is easier to control. Then again a manual is just fun when you start pushing it and driving like it's a race car or something.

So I'd say an automatic is better from a practical stand point while a manual is the funner of the two.

>only toll roads have traffic
>rush hour doesn't exist
ok

>handling the shifter with your non-dominant hand
Nah
Maybe if you're left handed

>Mad because it took him years to use a clutch

some guys are just late bloomers

>steering with your non-dominant hand
Kek

>americans are so bad at driving manual they need their good hand to shift gears

You're so boooooring

>americans
more like 65% of all people

>his country drives on the wrong side of the road

>he leaves his hand on the shifter

you have low testosterone lol, symptoms include:

- lost enjoyment in activities
- low sex drive
- shitposting on Veeky Forums

my Subaru is an automatic built in 2000 has 200k miles only thing replaced before it should have been is the alternator

I'm American and I drive a Dodge Spirit R/T. I love getting great gas mileage and being fast.

>having a "dominant" hand

way to let your own body kuck you fgt

Aww damn someone with an R/T Spirit.
NA automagic Spirit here.

>2 black ices
I CAN FEEL THE FRESH OVERTAKING ME'

IT IS A GOOD PAIN

>balancing the clutch with the throttle for few seconds
you mean 0.2 seconds

>implying

Except they do...

I live in shout west WA biggest town has 10k people and I live 20 min in the country population maybe 50. Every day is STI day.

I'm about to get a job just so I can buy a

My first car was stick. I am currently driving it while my second car, which is automatic, is in the shop.

Each one has it's own pros and cons. I hate getting stuck on hills in it and being forced to feather my clutch when stuck in weird situations (trapped in intersections, odd parking lot layouts with potholes, etc.) I love shifting my own gears and the control it gives me. I love rev-matching and heel-toe downshifting. I love having the ability to drive however I like, whenever I like. It's so much more engaging than an automatic. It forces you to pay attention and learn about your vehicle. Bumper to bumper traffic blows but it really isn't that big of an issue. I just hate wasting clutch on silly things like that. But I sure do love rolling burnouts and being a boyracer in first gear around town.

My second is auto. It's great for commuting and what not, even long road trips. It literally takes less effort to operate it compared to a stick car. Not everyone likes shifting their own gears, which is sad, but understandable. It's even preferably depending on the kind of car.Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of most autos, but mine is fairly smooth and gets the job done.I wasn't even looking for an auto when I got this car, it was 200 bucks! How could I pass that up? It's nice and all that jazz.

I have no qualms about either transmission. I'd rather a stick, but an auto daily and a manual fun car make perfect sense. Even a stick daily and an auto fun car make sense! It's all about preference and preferred results.

>drive nothing but manuals in slavistan
>move to usa
>never touched a manual ever since
thank god

You dont have to clutch to put it in neutral. If you know how you can change gears without the clutch altogether

since when are car crashes practical

I think driving stick is fun as fuck, but I'm spoiled by good autos with shift kits, and manual valve bodies

Is this pasta now?

It's not fucking pasta, this is real fucking life. If you don't shift your own gears you are the same as a man who shares his wife. Do you have any idea how angry seeing these idiots with automatic shifters makes me? My best friend bought a Grand National because "it's a nice car, doesn't matter that it's automatic", I NEVER forgave him. You mean nothing to me, you are less than garbge for driving automatic and I will brake check you to death.

Lol not when your 1st gear is deeper than your mom

>2030
>self-driving cars become commonplace
gets so angry he starts trying to ram into them
>all the cars are too smart for his shit
>hits a pedestrian
>manual cars are illegal as a result

>a car has a personality

Don't get me wrong, I love driving stick.
But come on man, it's a fucking machine. I can mathematically explain every single thing that goes on with it.
There's no "personality". It's a machine. It acts in the way it was designed.

Yeah if your a euro fag. The US doesnt have the fuckin stones to do that and plus after all those shit bag baby boomers die manuals will come back in popularity.

We invent one. The way it looks and acts. We personalize it with upgrades and mods, we make it our. Thus the changes we have done we get to find the best of it. Were as an auto is just oh lets ignore the weight difference or the new head or the new headers lets shift like its factory. Whomp whomp.

The only way possible.
Being a man about it

Your personality can also be defined mathematically, faggot. We are also machines, and maybe that's why we can identify and relate to cars. We "personify" them.

You're stupid. Baby boomers know how to drive manuals. That's all they had when they were young. Manuals will die off because of the YOUNGER generations.

Manual belongs on motorcycles, not cars.

Lolno.
Boomers had autos growing up also you stupid fag.

Generation Y males love manual more then Xers or boomers.
Stupid liberals.

To be fair, a car is such a complex, imperfect machine that there can exist individual "quirks" and differences between cars, escpecially older ones. While you CAN explain and calculate exactly what is happening in each part of a car using very well understood physics, there are so many variables when you're actually out on the road that it becomes impractical, similar to what says about humans. Both are complex enough to have emergent properties.

You're proud of being stupid, I see that now. 60 and 70 year old DID NOT grow up with automatics. An automatic transmission would have been a rarity for them.

My dad is right between being a Boomer and a Gen X-er (born in '62) and when I told him that the new NSX had no manual option he called it "pussification". Hell, even my Mom knows how to drive stick, and insists that my nu-male tier brother learns it when he gets his license.

The problem with Boomers now isn't that they don't like manuals or realize they're better, it's that they're to old and decrepit to actually drive them.

Fun fact, the Silent Generation loved automatics because they came about in their life times.
Fun fact, the 50's and 60's were packed with automatics.
Fun fact, 60 years ago 1956
Fun fact, automatics in the US were all the rage at the time
Fun fact, even non car enthusiasts will recognize automatic transmission names like powerglide, because of the cultural phenomenon that autos were.
Fun fact, you're a literal faggot

>I drove manual for years, until I got an automatic and I do all the maintenance on my vehicle, I also keep up with the automotive world.

Jesus fucking christ, why are you even here? Just fucking kill yourself.

Fun fact, You're an idiot.

True. My dad has no patience to drive standard anymore and he stalls the car getting it to move and just dumps the clutch in every gear. No Fucks given for finesse.

Americans, everybody.

Your parents insisting on their kids learning manual is a rarity today.
Also most boomer women know how to drive a manual your mom isn't a snowflake.
Boomers just don't want to drive manuals, that's why they don't buy them.
But the used demand is there, that's why a used auto sports car is worth dog shit.

Maybe in the real world.
But not when I come to Veeky Forums.
And not when I step inside an arby's.

Wow, way to redeem yourself with that last line. I'm not even being sarcastic, that was funny as heck.

Automatic is for city driving.
Manual is for the twisties.

I'm stupid enough to enjoy driving automatic, and too stupid to drive manual.

In the end, I fucking win bitch.

I don't really notice it. Everyone told me I'd hate city driving in a manual but I never considered it a hassle while doing it. Living in the outback at the moment where there is fuck all traffic so it's even less of an issue

Who wouldn't? Unless you're on the freeway but even then I'd like to be able to quickly shift and get around slow cars.

>Drive manual
>Fun and engaging
>Your gf wants to chat
>Engagement split
>Notice her tits for a second
>light turns green
>stall
>GF gets out of the car before you can start it again
>hops in LeChad Johnson's escalade
>you never get laid again

>Dirve an automagic luxury car
>chat and drive
>fast off the line at lights every time
>can even dorito
>automanual magic lets you make high revving sounds and hoon about
>pull pussy like your torque converter pulls heavy loads at slower speeds

To everyone here who enjoys driving stick shift... thank you for restoring my faith in humanity. I really don't understand why the car has to shift, park itself, and warn you to pay the frick attention in the first place.

Manual transmission and no bs warning systems for the win.... even more so if you're alternative and have no power steering / abs like me hehe