CLASSIC CAR GENERAL

/ccg/
>Post classic cars
>Blogpost about your vehicle
>Post classic feels

25 years and older is a "Classic" but it needs more than age, it needs a certain something to make it a classic

No One Made A New Thread Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

denver.craigslist.org/cto/5553350166.html
victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/5551668802.html
jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80555C/10002/-1
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VAOxhpEAkQo
youtube.com/watch?v=tI9o9VRSo90
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5519190847.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reposting for why would this be a bad idea?

denver.craigslist.org/cto/5553350166.html

victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/5551668802.html
And what about this?

What's the catch? Seems a little too complete for the asking price.

>victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/5551668802.html
buy it, L33 swap, tarbo, go on dragweek, don't repaint the exterior, crash, blow up in a fireball, die in a blaze of glory

that's what I am asking.

The nightmare continues! I took of my hood and rested in a fence. We got some crazy strong winds and it got flipped backwards....

Hood is now dented...

Want one so bad. Anyone know if it's e worth to own? Not much info o online. 1959 buick invicta.

Anyone know anything about this carburetor?

Also heard a nasty exhaust leak after turning on car for the first time in 10-15 years. Rust blasted everywhere. I'm hoping I can McGyver this with some soda can and exhaust leak stuff from the auto parts store.

I had to put the stock oil pan for the exhaust to clear because I didn't feel like dropping more money on an exhaust I thought worked. And then I find this out....

Heat shield under the carb. Had a fuel boiling issue at the track, plopped that bad boy on there and it's all good under the hood

So, it's basically this carb? jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80555C/10002/-1

what did you run uleh? post slips.

From what I can find, it's a Holley 4175 spreadbore, 650 cfm meant for 350 GM truck engines from 65-69

And did I mention I found out I'm dripping coolant? :(

It is coming out from the thermostat housing.

Potential issues:
The shit ton of silicon that was used to install thermostat by previous owner of intake
Summit brand thermostat housing?
My error

It didn't really sit flush when I first installed it and the surfaces didn't close good. I'm going to pull of the housing from my original intake to see if that makes a difference.

Do you guys think I could reuse the gasket? I'm also going to try to save the coolant, although that usually makes a mess too.

High 12s

Yeah; I'm going to replace it with a 750 cfm Edelbrock 1411, put on a Performer intake and a set of Cal-Custom valve covers.

Definitely not optimal for my 454.

>12.6
noice. but

>no r/t
>no 60ft
>no 1/8
m8

also
>dat thumb tho

I swear by "The Right Stuff" RTV withhousings like that.

Don't bother with a gasket, just use a bit of RTV.
Also, if you really want the aftermarket thermostat housing, just file the surface down on it with a fie file, until it's flat

I also reconnected my shift linkage. When I first pulled out the original 307 engine I forgot to disconnect it and think I bent the bracket. It now grinds on the transmission pan. I also broke one of the linkage cables and now they don't quite line up. Oops...

I am aware of my sausage fingers

nice. what do you think you need/will do to shave it down a bit?

Some fucking with the timing and carb. The trans should be shifting higher. A new motor will help whenever my dad actually do anything with it other than cover it with a plastic bag and shove it in the corner

Thanks for the tips, senpai. Will do!

I also installed the driveshaft back. I had to replace the u joints as the last one lost needle bearings when previous owner pulled it out. I was also missing the the bracket to hold the u joint in place, but my donor car had some.

I feel that. are you running a TH350 or 400? how's the shift kit/converter for this power?

TH350. I'm not completely sure what stall my converter is.l, but with the shift kit it shifts at around 5500-5600 but the maximum RPM on my cam is 6000. We might either get another TH350 core and swap em out, or go with a th400, or maybe even a 700r4 so we can fuck with the shift points and have overdrive. It has 4.10 gears right now so not entirely highway friendly, but it can cruise if it has to

>4.10
Iktf with the F250. have you considered going 4L60 or aftermarket 4l70?

good to here she's running good though,

Designed in 1985 and put into production in 1988. Such a classic look, I love it.

Maybe. My dad knows a hot rodder trick to get a trans to shift higher but I dont know how well that's gonna work. The goal is to have the car be able to be put into drive and shift at 5900. Maybe do a little bracket racing to get some good coin to offset these costs

>making money
>drag racing
ebic joke m8. but honestly good luck. I would prefer stick but that is harder to find in american iron.

Was at a meet last night.

There's a guy in town who has an all original 1976 SS Nova with a factory 4 speed so it's possible to do. But them bench seat column shift feels tho

Why does GM put so much more effort into their heritage stuff than the other Big Three?

mang you don't know banging until you have experienced a truck cab from before 1967

Well. At least it stopped raining in Waterworld long enough to put the top down once on the weekend.

*over the weekend

My drawer experience would be owning a big block powered 1968 camaro Super Stock class race car with a 4 speed bangin gears like grumpy

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VAOxhpEAkQo

because chebby runs deep mofackah

but all of the big three have massive factory aftermarket

I think you misread his question buddy.

Dream experience*

My grandpa has a 57 Cameo (pic is his) that had a 3 on the tree, but he put a T5 out of an s10 so he could drive it on the highway better. I'm fuckin pissed since I've never driven 3 on the tree and that was my one opportunity

FUCKIN SHIT

Also, I know y'all are enthusiasts, but are y'all "I have my car's manufacturer on my valve stem caps" enthusiasts?

I just noticed that shit when I went to go fill up a low tire. I didn't even know they made these.

noice. I want my grandfathers '69 mustang mach one with a 428 cobra jet, 4 speed toploader and a mach one aero. dana 60

No, but I'm "I have my mate's badge on my oil breather" enthusiast-tier

Maker's *
God fuckin autocorrect

>low tires
>webs on tires
>dust on top
>windows are dusty

yeah the thing sat for at least 20 years. thankfully he is working on it now.

But do you have it on the underside of your hood, too?

>tfw my car doesn't say Ford in any place on the entire car, except for little blue ovals on the door sills
>Only place it says Thunderbird is on the backup light and on the passenger side of the dash

Ooh ya got me there buddy ol pal

Only reason I have that is because it used to be a show car. I don't know any other reason to actually spend money on branded under-hood insulation.

Still have my sleepy turdbird

I had the coolant seep on my old 305 with factory intake even though I had a felpro gasket on there and RTV on the bolts. New 350 has a $15 oriely chrome one off the wall with the O-ring style gasket, and RTV on bolts, no leaks so far 700ish miles in.

I want your Nova senpai.

Post more.
Can I join in on the blogposting? Motors nearing 700 miles now, on it's post-break in oil change now and running great, if a little on the rich side, but no bogging so I'm not too worried. Rear main is already leaking I think, found a few drops of oil coming from the inspection cover the other day, fucking 2-piece mains.

Broke the trans dipstick when filling and re-checking after it's rebuild, couldn't find one at any local yards and parts stores didn't have one on hand, afro engineering to the rescue.

>tfw $900 rebuild
>tfw smooth as butter shifts
>tfw trans shop asked how it managed to have bad everything internally
>they asked if someone tossed used motor oil in with the ATF because of how black it was

>that header clearance to frame/starter makes my dick hard

I know this feel. To put LTHs on the Fury, you have to mount and massage the driver side then as you are lowering the engine in, bolt on the next to last bolt on the passenger header. Then you wiggle it around until you can get the farthest back fastener on and work your way down. Great rumble, a bitch to work with. My exhaust rides on my T bars and there isn't any other good way to route it.

Is my abath a classic yet ?

Ahh very good, I had wondered if you ended up selling it or not

yum!

I want one
Then rollcage it, give it a deer disintegrator brush guard, make it transverse midengine rwd with a VR6 with six separate exhaust pipes coming up at the sides, raise it by about 2 to 3 inches and give it knobby tires.
Then chase old East German people around the roads blaring the sirens like I was a nightmare from the past made manifest

Hey /ccg/, I have a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL.

As much as I like the car, owning a German executive saloon in NYC can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

It's got 149,500 miles and I'm cleaning it up as I go along.

What do you think I could reasonably trade it for? I would like to keep my options open, there are always more cars to drive!

Depends but you could trade it for nearly anything if you find the right guy. Look and compare to other 560s for sale and figure 1000-2000 less for a trade value. Thats usually been my rule and has paid off so far.

I found someone else who put a machine turned dash bezel in their car and it is glorious.

Now I'm seriously torn between doing this or replacing the intake and carburetor first.

Intake and carb first.

>guy advertising a car as a two door hardtop
>clearly a post visible
>guy still wants the hardtop price
Fucking boomers. I wouldn't mind buying a twodoor post but it's gotta be a reasonable price

Always replace the intake and carb first

Intake and carb. You going the Performer RPM 454?

No, just the Performer. The Performer RPM is a high-rise intake and won't clear the hood.

Running out of /CCG/ movies to watch.

Two-Lane Blacktop
American Graffiti
Mad Max 1, 2, 3, FR
Vanishing Point
Smokey & the Bandit
Duel
Bullitt
Tucker

What is missing from this list?
Death Proof

Easy Rider? Driver (1978). Blues Brothers (lel). Grand Prix (1966), Car Napping (1979). Getaway (1972).

Ronin with Robert Deniro and Jean Reno.
>Mad Max 3 Thunderdome
No.

Snake & Mongoose
Death Proof
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
The A-team (TV show kinda)

That's all I can think of right now

I thought we had discussed both and compares heights and the RPM would fit no? Either way it'll be nice.

It PROBABLY would, but I'd rather be safe and know that it'll fit.

>Car isn't as fast as it should be

I really, really need to rebuild the carb and push the timing up.

Call on me when it comes time to tune. You have a 750DP right? That's about the right size for that engine as is, but it may be a tad rich in the top end (safer for sure). Heck, jet it up and you may be able to get away with half a can of Torco.

I'd remeasure it Drac. You are losing quite a bit of power vs the RPM manifold if you do, which I know isn't the main goal but still. Itd be giving the power away for the same price.

Which version does CCG like more?

Not a DP, but a 750. I think they backed way off the timing to get the thing to run on pump gas, so after I rebuild the carb I'll have to see how far I can push it safely with Torco in the tank.

Downside is I'll have to get the Torco for every fillup

You look like an old lesbian.

That doesn't look like a mach 1. They also never came with a D60.

I think you're lying.

If you moved to an 850DP and checked your AFR with a wideband O2 sensor mounted into your header, you may be able to get away on the compression on pump premium. E85 might get you there too, but it would mean replacing all the fuel lines and getting an E85 specific carb. I dunno Splits, but adding Torco adds up quickly so it may just pay for itself going more fuel flow or E85 and a ton more fuel.

it was repainted at some point but look up 1969 mach one, not a 71-73

>not a 71-73
What does that have to do with it?

1969s with the big blocks got the 9", it doesn't have the correct stripes or exterior add-ons, doesn't have the proper badging, doesn't have the proper rear valance, etc.

I'm sure it's a nice car, but that is not a mach 1.

rear valance maybe,

it might be a clone. still I want this car more than anything else.

Speaking of.....

Hard to tell, but I would hope it's a clone after seeing some of the stuff that's been done to it. That would be a waste of a real CJ mach (because an untouched one of that year is like an $80-100k vehicle).

Looking at the valve covers, heads, and intake I want to say that it's an FE motor and not an actual CJ block. Still, really awesome car. I'd love to have one, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Just bought a '63 Mercury Comet Custom with the 2 speed on the console and a monster 170 cubic inch inline six today. Needs a little bit of mechanical work and some paint, but no real rust and has all the original parts on it. Never been wrecked, 2 door postless hardtop. $2500.

How'd I do?

youtube.com/watch?v=tI9o9VRSo90

Went on a cruise to the grocery store and sone lady backed into my 74' Subaru DL then fled.

Wonderful start to the week, a Hit and Run...

holy fuck, i would die.

Tell me you got the the security camera footage.

I just rechecked and I have a factory low-rise intake on the car; a 364740, to be exact.

The Performer RPM will not fit.

I would request security footage in a heartbeat

A Cobra Jet is a FE buddy

Ah well always worth a look. Weren't you going with a carter carb to reduce height there as well?

An Edelbrock to match the Edelbrock intake; honestly, as long as it's not a Holley, I don't really care WHAT it has.

Lucky enough it shows up on security cameras, but unfortunately the plate is not visible. Police determined I was not at fault, and the workers at the grocery store know what the person looks like.

I just have to wait and see. I have AAA Insurance so Hopefully I won't get Jewed on the repairs.

Thoughts?
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5519190847.html

Seems like it could be a pretty cool project and maybe even DD.
It looks so fucking comfy dude