Unimog

Why do I want a unimog so badly?

Other urls found in this thread:

unimogshop.com/ads/1963-unimog-404-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=dbeyCGGmYwo
youtube.com/watch?v=WMj4BIljlmo
motorauthority.com/news/1078929_arnold-schwarzenegger-drops-hummer-for-a-mercedes-unimog-video
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i dont

/thread

They look like a shitload of fun

They're very well designed and incredibly capable vehicles.
I've always wondered why new ones aren't all over the US.

isn't the unimog fucking huge, like bigger than full sized truck huge

You've spent too much time on /k/

There are a ton of different sizes for cab length, body length, and shit like that. In terms of cab height they aren't super tall, there are box trucks out driving around of similar size.

>muh ferd
>muh chebby
>muh doge ram

Or more likely
>muh emissions standards

These things are fuckhuge compared to your typical Detroit 3 pickup.

Don't bigger trucks have looser emissions standards in the US? I thought that's why you get diesel truck but no diesel cars.
I'm guessing price is the real problem.
A Unimog is professional grade shit and complete overkill for anyone who doesn't also have a tractor.

is this a good price?

unimogshop.com/ads/1963-unimog-404-2/

because of reasons

jesus

$6000 ? hell yes. but is it road legal?

Amerifat here, I would love to have one. If I ever become stupid wealthy I want to start a truck company that builds unimog competitors for the US market.

That's a Steyr Puch Haflinger though, which is tiny and has a 2cyl engine IIRC.

You can't even compare an Unimog to those truck. If you put a high strength crane arm on the back you could use this thing to tow tanks that have been stuck in a bog. This is serious industrial hardware.

International kind of has the domestic Market for medium duty off-road utility vehicles already sewed up.

>that dude posted a video of the 'mog in action
>youtube.com/watch?v=dbeyCGGmYwo
>top fucking lel

The US has a really strong domestic truck Market most other places do not.

Probably for the same reason Scania, MAN, Iveco, and DAF don't attempt to compete here. Mercedes doesn't even attempt to compete here with heavy or medium duty trucks. Volvo only got a foothold after buying out White.

They're currently getting the foot in the door with their Sprinters. I'm anxiously awaiting the future.

Internationals might not be the most fun-to-drive but they tend to be relatively inexpensive and parts are cheap and plentiful.

This is what you use to drag something out of a bog in North America

Mercedes did sell its L Series trucks here for a while you still occasionally see around usually belching smoke and caked in soot, but there are still some around. I don't know why they pulled out again, other than too much competition from domestic manufacturers.

Because they're fucking awesome little workhorses. The older, round-nosed ones are a cute. CUTE!

>L-Series
Jesus fucking Christ, the dinosaur chugs on

And if you just need a ridiculously oversized pickup truck you can buy the GMC TopKick pickup or the International CXT and you'd probably still be spending less money

Because they're the best utility vehicles of all time.

why do I want to invade france now

kamaz vs unimog?

It really tickles my autism when they use unimogs as street cleaners and in applications where something 1/10th the price would have worked just as well.

There is no such thing as spending too much time on /k/

youtube.com/watch?v=WMj4BIljlmo

I don't know, they are far too heavy for what they are, when you look at ther permissable axle loads and the base axle loads you see how little they are realy capable of, like the 2000 serise Fastrac from JCB.

Unimog has the ultimate shifter(s)

They should really simplify it with an arrangement more like pic related

What you actually want is a Pinzgauer.

Only one of those is the actual shifter. The rest is for actuating various equipment hooked up to the machine.

>Merc L-Series
lol, haven't seen these since I served in Sierra Leone. Are they still in service in the US or are they exhibition vehicles?

not quite.

its has 4 gears. a forward, and reverse selector, high, low, and diff locks.

you cant just drive it without using at least 3 handles

Depends on the terrain I guess. On the road you'd get along fine with just one.

Not actually. I think one is a PTO, but as for the others there's a pre-reduction, there's two crawler gears, reverse is its own lever seperate from the regular shifter (so any forward gear is matched in reverse), there's also one for the transfer case that has two positions (second locks the front and rear diffs)

I really liked Mogs and that Volvo thing that's the equivalent but then I watched some trail videos and I realized that they're really no more capable than a Jeep or pickup with lift and equivalent tires and much less comfortable/road ready

Backward, any diesel engine is regulated out the ass. Ask VW for proof.

kamaz is bigger than uni, they seem like different kind of trucks

Equivalent would be Zetros or Faun

Yes there is, you'll catch furry and spread it here.

A rough equivalent to Unimog would be GAZ-66. In typical Soviet military fashion, it's disgustingly uncomfortable and fuel-hungry, but it can be repaired with a hammer and some creative swearing, and trudge through roads that swallow landcruisers for breakfast.

Yes, but then you can use the same vehicle in the winter as a plow or something instead of having to buy two different ones. At the THW, the German technical relief service, the Unimog does very nearly everything.

Most are exhibition vehicles, you still see the occasional box truck.

everything

This is a meme. An XJ Cherokee could handle that and the truck is stuck

You're right, shishiga is good alternative

motorauthority.com/news/1078929_arnold-schwarzenegger-drops-hummer-for-a-mercedes-unimog-video

He had to upgrade so he could drive his fat beta son around.

Because you've never sat in one

Just get the Lego one user

The chicken tax is a 25% tariff on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks imposed in 1963 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.

What's the reliability, mpg, maintenance, insurance, tire cost, highway speed ability and daily driver capability on these?

cuz ur on drugs and in a comatosed state of mind senpai

High, Low, Depends how much you use it, Probably the same as a normal truck depending on what you insure it for, too much if you have to ask, they can probably do highway speeds on a good day and you can daily anything if you put your mind and money to it.

holy fuck...is that even necessary?

Isn't that a Pinzgauer?

I know what you mean man
I was sort of considering getting one the Aussie army was flogging off a couple of years ago and adapting for sik wikid camping trips out in the bush, but it never materialised.
I saw some blokes in one coming back from Fraiser island once and it looked incredible.

Two way vehicle, I love the German term for road railers. This is one we converted back in 2001/2002.

>they can probably do highway speeds on a good day

Depends on your definition of a highway speed, they can technically go 60mph or slightly faster, but become unstable, loud and chug fuel like crazy.

>tfw modern Unimogs go for $300k on eBay

Does it have portal axles?

mfw

yes

Fucking incredible. Ordering one.

That one is my dad

He got it for himself a few Christmases ago. I don't think they made them at the time and still don't so my dad paid a very pretty penny for one. They're likely to be even more expensive

also, it took a good 3 straight hours for me, my brother and dad to build it

Also a Unimog chassis.

Also a Unimog chassis, and it's got indentical forwards and reverse gears and the inside of the cabin turns 180° so you can use it as a front steering tractor and as a rear steering frontloader.

Fuck that, go for the Dingodile!

>doesn't even have bomb-proof windshield hatches

The Germans already have the Tpz Fuchs for that purpose, the Dingo is for crusing around ballin' on the American fuck ugly MRAPs

When you try to reverse fully loaded in an f-350 you start swearing at the fact that reverse is taller than first.

Full operational capability > making it work

You can attach a backhoe, seed spreader, front loader, auger, etc. To your average pickup or jeep?

Also I don't know what trail videos you have watched but anytime I see a unimog navigating terrain I am always surprised at how well they do it. They are literally tractors with some road capability.

Official Unimog tow capacity: "Try me" tons. On any surface.

They are horribly unstable st highway speeds

They are all over the PNW.