/lisg/ - Life is Strange General #384

Rachel's 22nd Birthday Pastry Eating Contest! Edition

Previous Thread: Life is Strange is an episodic interactive drama from DONTNOD Entertainment. Set in the Pacific Northwest in the town of Arcadia Bay, the player follows the story of Maxine Caulfield and her seemingly newfound ability to turn hella gay and to rewind time. At the prestigious Blackwell Academy, Max must prepare with Chloe Price for the incoming storm of returning to her hometown after five years. Available on Steam, PSN and Xbox Live.

>Official Website:
lifeisstrange.com

>Steam:
store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
steamcommunity.com/groups/4chanlisg

>/lisg/ Permalink:
orph.link/lisg

>FAQs, Old Threads/Strawpolls, Soundtrack/Music & Leaks:
orph.link/lisgarchive

>/lisg/ Community Written Fan Fiction:
orph.link/story

>Compilation of Fanfics:
orph.link/fanfic

>/lisg/ Content Producers:
imgur.com/a/DOAKn

>Strawpolls:
strawpoll.me/10646187
strawpoll.me/10681287
strawpoll.me/10684655
strawpoll.me/10722128
strawpoll.me/10725554
strawpoll.me/10740500

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UNug9CpZ4EM
instaud.io/kVV
instaud.io/kWb
youtube.com/watch?v=obnLi07AK5w
youtube.com/watch?v=noi4Ra0RcKc
youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ae-LhMIG0
strawpoll.me/10744398
ephall.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ny587c5tVlo)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For because he himself has suffered and been tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted.

Happy Birthday, Rach!

I was going through some songs and this one made me think of Max and Chloe.
youtube.com/watch?v=UNug9CpZ4EM

From last thread in case it was missed:

>As Max and Chloe are leaving the ruins of Arcadia Bay behind, there's one more tragic story unfolding
>Alice and Lisa stuck in Max's room, Alice hasn't eaten anything in days, the dorms are destroyed and no one comes looking for them
>"No one's gonna come save us, this is the end, we'll starve to death..."
>Alice...you can survive this and go back to your owner. All you have to do is... all you have to do is eat me."
>"What? No, fuck that. Lisa, you're my number one priority, I'm not eating you!"
>"Alice, think about it... how many times this week did you try to nibble my leafs? I'm a plant, Alice, you're a bunny, maybe it's time I accept my destiny... OUR destiny."
>"Lisa, I can't make this choice!"
>"No Alice, you're the only one who can"

>eat Lisa
instaud.io/kVV

>eat your own foot
instaud.io/kWb

I haven't really been here in months what do you guys do these days

That premise is kind of off-putting, but maybe I'll give it a try. Not like there's an abundance of fics I haven't already read or decided not to read, so if I end up liking them despite that I will have a lot of new stuff to read through.

Same we did back then, pretty much.

Happy birthday!
What's Rachel's plans for today?
Morning with Max and Chloe. Big party in the afternoon with them and all the other Blackwell students. Then going somewhere nice with Frank for the evening.

Welcome back.
Cutepost, talk about what happened after the game, tear apart the inconsistencies and plotholes, talk about our hopes for Season 2.

Understandable. They were pretty far out there and I dropped it for a while because I didn't like the premise and then I got bored and started reading it again. I definitely like the second story more because of how it treats the rewind power as something and for the arcs it gives to some of the side characters. Especially Nathan.

>ywn attend Rachel's birthday beach party

Put on your swimsuits, /lisg/ is invited!

Requesting soundtrack for Rachel's Birthday Beach Party.

My pick: youtube.com/watch?v=obnLi07AK5w

God, I just want to be in Arcadia.

Pianofire needs to be on the sountrack. I could easily picture them dancing and running through the sand with that playing.

Summer needs shade.
Death awaits outside.
The weather reminds me solace can't be found.
I don't like this feeling.
I talk to myself cause no ones listening and I don't care.
My youth stays inside.
Fun is blinding, calms the nervous sight.
But I don't like the sun in my eyes waiting.
The more I stare I feel cheated when aging.
Hey June.
I want to feel safe.
Please stay for a while.
Fear induced my mind into exile.
I know;
I just want to be in the shade with everyone I need.

Absolutely.

More intoxicated dance music: youtube.com/watch?v=noi4Ra0RcKc

What did she mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ae-LhMIG0

>strawpoll.me/10744398
bae>kate

NO!

Don't vote for either. Chloe is bae, but you can still have her without needlessly killing others. That poll is the same type of retardation that we see from Michel and /lisg/ is capable of much, much, better.

YES!

NO!

That fic's so bad. It might as well be just original piece because characters barely resemble the sorce material and that whole mystery thing is cringy as fuck. It's like something a 14 y\o would write.

This is why I removed it from the OP!

Good work! Such divisive stuff is detrimental to /lisg/'s comfiness.

amberpricefield thread, best thread!
galpals4life
forgot the spoiler

I wish I didn't click that.

I like Pricefield. Not a fan of OT3s(+) in general, but especially for Max and Chloe. It's unfair and uncharacteristic to make them have to share their affection with others like that. They can have all the friends they want like Rachel, Kate, Vic, etc., but the dating and romance will be exclusive. Which is what Max and Chloe want and part of what they fought for. I believe that Rachel would respect that too.

>Necrophilia

Ew.

That's just a little bit lewd.

Rachel isn't even lesbian!

Yeah, Rachel LOVES the cock. Same with that slut dana

She really isn't. Which is kind of funny because she's the one that helped Chloe realize that she is one. Really is too bad that they never got to honestly lay out their feelings and settle what they were/weren't. Would have saved Rachel a lot of time hiding things and saved Chloe a lot of questions and grief.

Dana is not a slut!

I like that Rachel is straight while also being the person to make Chloe realize she's not. I think it adds more to both of their characters and their relationship than "they were GFs" would have. Also, Rachel being the super supportive straight friend of Max and Chloe is too cute.

Agreed entirely. It is a very interesting and very touching aspect. Chloe probably knew Rachel didn't love her the same way, and never claimed that she did. Chloe's words were how she loved Rachel, Rachel was someone that saved her in some way and helped her figure out who she was.
As much as Max heard about Rachel, I'm sure that Rachel heard about Max and realized that was who Chloe belonged with. That's why she never felt bad about not being with Chloe, she knew Max would return someday (And that's without touching the whole "Rachel gave Max her powers" stuff).
I could see Rachel trying to convince Chloe to call or email Max when she was in Seattle, but Chloe's low self-esteem and fear prevented her from doing so.

Agreed. The theme of unrequited love is one complexion it adds to Chloe, and it also shows that she is not romantically aggressive at all, harboring a crush for years. That way we know her bashfulness with Max is not only her trying to test the waters, not wanting to rush things or ruin something that's just beginning to come together again - it's also part of her personality. She is very cautious with emotions, which obviously stems from emotional connections having been "betrayed" in her past.

There not having been a romantic relationship between the two also helps establish the idea that it weren't simply happy times for Chloe either. That there was always heaviness in her life, clinging desperately to Rachel and what she represents even though she knows it's futile both romantically and emotionally.

For Rachel it adds to her mystique first and foremost. As "Chloe's girlfriend" things would have been all too easy. This way there's a suspicion for much of the earlier episodes that Rachel could have also been intentionally deceptive, ill-intended even. We never really knew where she stood exactly until the end (and in parts, beyond that).

Hold on a second, I just want to clarify... Is this all role-playing, or is it actually canon that Max and/or Chloe are gay? The actual events of the game, as far as I can tell, seem to suggest that it was meant to be purposely ambiguous.

Play through it again and it will be painfully obvious that Max lusts after Chloes cunt. I missed it myself during my first playthrough because I'm an autistic faggot that can't pick up on shit like that but she's hella gay. It's good to know I'm not the only retard though.

It is canon that Chloe is at least bi. She says she's had crush on Rachel and it's obvious she loves Max.

Whatever Max is, she's canonically into Chloe. She kisses her and writes in her journal wondering about her feelings. A major part of the story is pretty unambigously supposed to be her realizing her love for Chloe.

Maximum Victory

I've just taken to calling Max a Chloesexual. She has no preference for boys or girls, only for things that remind her of Chloe Price.

Goodnight, /lisg/.
Don't forget to pick up a gift for Rachel for when you stop by the party!

Max is bi, despite what a lot of people in here will argue. There is evidence for her swinging both ways regardless of which how you play the game. The fact that she is into Chloe is undeniable, though.

Chloe is gay, or at least bi with a heavy preference towards girls. Her only romantic interests are Max and Rachel. She's had sex with boys but that is treated as a past thing, something that didn't occur after meeting Rachel.

Most of everyone here has taken to that. Or so I hope. Chloesexual, Maxsexual - we wouldn't be "tumblr: the game"'s general without making up sexualities, after all.

Now this is roleplaying!

Goodnight.

I don't remember the crush on Rachel being talked about explicitly, but I certainly believe it. And yeah I'm a casual who didn't read all the journal entries, so I'm sure I missed a lot. I doubt they wanted to make it overly about sexuality though, just because it would cheapen a lot of the emotional experiences in the game.

>Threadly reminder that Kate will never know love like Max and Chloe

Kate loves Jesus

Kate will find a nice Christian boy in college, marry him, have a cute baby girl, name her Maxine after the greatest woman she ever knew, and asks Max to be her godmother. Of course Max will say yes

>nice Christian boy
There's no such thing in the LiS universe.

Absolutely. First of all, Max isn't a very sexual person at all to begin with. And then the romance between her and Chloe is explored quietly, as something fragilely growing, latently adding layers to their interactions, characters and the story.

It's great this way. Both the friends-gone-lovers format in general as well as just the idiosyncracies of these characters specifically allow it to be something that feels very natural. There's no "Am I gay?!; Oh god, I'm gay!" or anything of the like. It's showing, not telling. ...Very subtly showing. Some people, even in here, have (often reasonably) argued that it is ultimately too subtle. I think it does lack a few key "Pricefield" scenes at a few key times, but overall it still works very well, and I seriously wonder what it takes someone not to catch Chloe's feelings for Max.

They talk about Rachel in Episode 3. After standing up from the bed, you can chat up Chloe and Max says "You totally crushed on Rachel", and she answers "You would have too! Smart, sexy, sassy - like me".

And I don't know whether you are aware of it, but they literally french kiss in one ending. That it just happens in the one doesn't matter - it shows that at this point of their relationship, they can kiss each other.

Oh yes there are she's not going to college in Arcadia hellhole so everything will be cool

I know it's wrong to be a person, with a person's hands
To take up space, to displace sand in the hourglass

When I broke the plate
We both knew I had made
An unforgiveable mistake

Yeah, I suppose even the "heat of the moment" factor in such a situation can't explain that kiss. And I dunno, I thought Chloe didn't seem too receptive in situations like the kiss dare or the "morning grope", but maybe I'm just an autist who can't interpret tone.

You are.

Feels bad tbhq family.

Really like this song, where'd you find it? Finding good, obscure music on here almost makes me want to check in on /mu/ again. Almost, but not quite.

Written and performed by e.p hall.

A genius, she is.

ephall.bandcamp.com/

Imagine Rachel summoning the storm.

>kiss dare
Well, she's the one who even created that situation! And she's more flustered than unreceptive. Again, she's not romantically aggressive, but she still gets physical and emotional with Max all throughout the week: hugging her fiercely all the time, complimenting and encouraging her, daring her to a kiss, wanting her to sleep over, getting flustered both at the kiss and at seeing Max take off her clothes, teasingly flirting with her. There could have been more outright romantical hints, but these were pretty obvious already, especially considering there are countless more subtle pieces.

>"morning grope"
You have to see Chloe's perspective here. She'd spend the night with Max and out of the complete blue Max is all stormy and up in her shit. That's irritating. The irritation also serves a narrative intention of contrasting her AU self against her original one: Max herself says she was "so happy to see Chloe's pissed-off face again", contrasting Chloe's dead-like (or literally dead) tranquility of the AU against her more troubled and distressed state in the OU, highlighting that the latter is really "her", despite and because of it. "In My Mind" driving that point home.

...But I agree, I would have expected her to be a little more receptive after the initial reaction, maybe lingering a hand on Max's arm or whatever.

Still, it's all pretty obvious. Don't think that quite makes you an "autist who can't interpret tone", but yeah, you might want to improve your hint-spotting-game. Could actually help you.

Pretty cool. I liked "Water Tower". The trembly strings kind of remind me of the TV series Rectify by ways of its Balmorhea's Bowsprit theme song.

You're right, I shouldn't have called him an "autist who can't appreciate tone".

That picture.

Vertigo, Jesus.

Glad I could make you reconsider an insult. Although I guess it technically isn't one.

Chloe's about to Die, you just know it.

Yeah, now that I think about it she did seem more surprised than genuinely weirded out by the kiss.

>Could actually help you.
Thanks, but I'm a lost cause in that regard.

>Rectify
The time in between the seconds, user... That's what was real.

Don't worry user, I've heard the same from a licensed psychiatrist, it hurts much less coming from you.

I see.

In that case, it's just a statement of mental health.

In my case, it was derisive.

I'm sorry.

Before Episode 5's release:
>Lol Mari's theories're shitty.It's way more than shitty to become true
>Chloe has to die thing doesn't make sense.Don't worry they will come with unpredictable story
>We're gonna learn everything about Max's powers,Rachel and Prescotts even Nathan,spirit animals..
>Jefferson knows about Max's powers
>Nathan,Frank,David or Samuel's gonna save us
>Victoria's with Max,she'll save her
>(After seeing Cemetery scene from leaks) I'm sure it'll be Williams,Rachel's or Kate's grave.
>Rachel's the doe and Butterfly and probably we'll see her in Max's dream
>Blue Jay's Chloe

After Episode 5's release:
>Mari's shitty cliche theory became right
>We visited the SF art gallery for 3 seconds. FOR 3 DAMN SECONDS
>Jefferson became a silly bad guy from Disney
>David came to save us.He's a former-soldier but he can't even fight,just listens teenager's orders. Even he doesn't know she has some time travel powers.
>Victoria's with us in the dark room.Laying there and we can talk her or not.Just it.
>Nathan get killed,Victoria too
>Nathan knew something about the storm but they cut it.
>Warren explained Max's powers(!) (thanks warryn) We found out her power causes/related with Chaos Theory and storm.It's not like we didn't know or something.
>Storm is only coming for Bay because Chloe lives in there but Max's the one who keep changes the time
>Prescotts story erased.Nobody even mention their name.
>Rachel's story fucked too.She isn't doe,or butterfly,bluejay or even shit.
>Spirit animals thing died.Blue Butterfly's Chloe just it.
>Chloe dies again in one of endings (unpredictable) It gives you a lesson: You shouldn't have used your power.And you shouldn't play this game.Now erase your choices and cry like a bitch.
>Chloe has to die thing comes true, Cemetery scene explained with that.
>The other ending's short but it's less cliché than other.We saved Chloe,storm's hit the town and gone.That's it.
>Epilogue: Use ur imaginations:)muh budget

Don't worry about it, you're allowed to be a meanie on Veeky Forums. Kate can forgive.

>I'm a lost cause
I don't know you, and will spare you "don't give up on yourself!" babble, but if not intuitively, you can still try to appreciate more nuanced and subtle hints like this intellectually.

It's sad enough that this layer of the story didn't impact your game experience, but retrospectively realizing it can be a worthwhile experience too. I know my thoughts and feelings about certain aspects of the game have changed with time and in retrospection. Replaying with all that in mind later is also a possibility. It really makes for a wonderfully slightly tense atmosphere when you can sense the romance in it. More even, I would say you can really only appreciate the multilayered significance of the moments between them in Episode 1 when you replay with all that and the feelings and the knowledge about them your acquired over the rest of the season in mind.

Oh no, I can certainly pick up on those things, it's just a matter of how I interpret them. But yeah, I definitely plan on replaying the game once things have had time to settle in my mind. Sometimes replaying or rewatching can be depressing, though - you're more aware of the fact that things have to end somewhere, and you no longer have that sense of infinite possibility.

>Yeah, now that I think about it she did seem more surprised than genuinely weirded out by the kiss.

This post reminded me of that stupid discussions (10 months ago) in plebbit and in some various places.

About how warryncucks are chickened out after episode 3 and discussing about that kiss, about it was just a dare, gal pals can kiss each others, it's pretty normal, thinking Max and Chloe's relationship is choice depenant, also were saying ''am I the only one who sees them as friends guyz?'' etc. There was also a guy who were saying bay ending's kiss was just showing how close friends they are.

Man, this game's fandom...

The interpretation of those things depends to a degree on your intuitive ability to pick up on them "accurately", but I'm glad to hear it's more the one than the other.

I agree with your thought on re-visiting a work of fiction. I wouldn't even say, overall, LiS isn't too replay-worthy a game. Or replay-suited, rather. Even in disregarding the finale.

But there's some incentive. You said you haven't read the journal, and judging by the fact that you didn't talk to Chloe about Rachel in Episode 3, I think it's fair to assume you didn't explore the game too exhaustively? Both of which definite reasons to replay if you care about the game. And then there's what I said about the interactions between Chloe and Max specifically - but also events in general - of the earlier episodes gaining significance retrospectively, and that's more tangible in replaying.

(There's obviously detrimental effects of this too though; for example, the mystery, intrigue and general ominous atmosphere mostly suffers from the knowledge and feelings acquired over the rest of the season. The mood isn't as enchanting when you know where it all must lead. Luckily the game often still allows for you to lose yourself in the moment - I can still boot it up and "collectible mode" some scene or watch these "Moments of Calm": youtube.com/watch?v=Ny587c5tVlo)

I don't give two fucks about fandom/board politics, I'm just curious as to what the devs' actual intent was. I'm sure fans of both ships have their own biased interpretations.

After finishing the last ep i felt an urge for anal stimulation. Did you feel it too?

>I don't give two fucks about fandom/board politics

Me either.

My point was; events in game, intention is obviously screaming like they are more than friends whatever you do. But it's hard to accept it for cucks since they are living in their dream world

*is too replay-worthy

*only if you want to kill yourself from depression and hate.

>Chloe smugly won
>Rachel excitedly beat Max, "holding two fingers up in second"
>Max is absolutely fucked, "holding up three fingers, in third place"

>Things are good for a while, but Chloe leaves Max
Meh, then.

>There was also a guy who were saying bay ending's kiss was just showing how close friends they are.

you gotta be kidding me

That could be an actual possibility.

How interesting.

How boring, you mean.

>Rachel's birthday
>Her pride died when 'her' developers bullied her: ''Hide & Seek Champ 2013''

Happy birthday my poor Rachel.
I hope you'll take revenge from those bastards asap.

Yes, the actual execution is absolutely awful.

A well-executed story of Chloe leaving Max could be insanely interesting.

Also wildly unrealistic.
Chloe, who gets attached as fuck, leaving someone? Good joke.jpg.

That's what would make it interesting.

Shit taste, tbdesu.

>they celebrated Rachel's birthday (a few days before episode 4's release)
>in Episode 4 we found her corpse at junkyard
>they fucked her story in Episode 5
>they called her as ''hide and seek champ 2013''

i feel bad for Season 2's characters now.

>tbdesu

Made me chuckle.

Anyway, you haven't given me a real reason as to why it's unrealistic.

I don't want season two's characters.

There is no "season".

Life is Strange is a story about certain characters, and it's over.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it but there are still plenty of other choice options that I haven't tried yet (for example, saving Kate). I don't regret not being completionist on my first playthrough though, I think that would've made it feel less real. And if I can regain even a moment of immersion by revisiting it, it'll be worthwhile.

>The interpretation of those things depends to a degree on your intuitive ability to pick up on them "accurately"

Maybe, but I try not to think about it, things like this tend to trigger the ol' paranoia.

Really? Chloe, just like in the cripple timeline, wanted to die on some level. She has low self-esteem and guilt in spades. You can't imagine that after Max sacrificed an entire town, including Chloe's mother and stepfather, to save her, Chloe might become a little resentful?That she'd feel like she was living more for Max than for herself? Like the pressure was too much? Seems reasonable to me.

>inb4 joyce and david aren't dead
Logical concerns aside, both endings were intended to be tragic. I don't want to infringe on anyone's personal Arcadia, but we're talking about what's realistic.

>Chloe leaving Max
>''Chloe, who's acting like tough but in reality who's hopelessly yearning to see Max for five years, after they finally reunited leaves her like that, especially all of these are happened and they became inseperable''
>realistic

Just give me one realistic reason to why it isn't unrealistic?

what a coincidence

>''we're talking about what's realistic''
>said the guy who's giving evidences from his stupid headcanon

Aaiight

>It's been several months since the game's ending
>Stopped coming here because there was nothing to really talk about
>It's still alive
How and why?

Kateposting. Because Kate is #1 grill

haha:)

Exactly, and as such there are no seasons.

Life is Strange is over. Make a new game.

Preserve these characters.

So /lisg/, what's your spirit animal? If it was, like Samuel, whichever I seem to spend most time around it would be a guinea pig desu, but according to personality I think it would probably be the boring old dog.

Isn't that how all fanfic is?

Agree m8

This is a very good description of the post-game blues

Reeeeeeeeeee

Between Max having "left" her and her abandonment issues (and the underlying damaged sense of self-worth), leaving could be an interesting premise. Not that I can see it, but that's as you say precisely why it could be interesting. ( - It's unrealistic because in the game week, Chloe suffers through the absolute worst together with Max, heals in the process and does nothing but grow closer to her; the idea of her leaving from there is not narratively or characterally consistent. An author would have to set that up, and it would require a lot of setup indeed.)

The thought however of her being fine with having left Max, starting a whole new life that becoming a private detective would indicate, and randomly bumping into her again sounds awful indeed. What I'd want someone to explore there should be something more compelling, certainly having to do more with how they are drawn, excruciatingly, to each other again.

>not being completionist
Oh, by all means. I agree. Keep it natural. Your playthrough is your playthrough, thoughts your thoughts. But reading the journal at times is pretty rewarding, as is some of the unprompted conversation.

>even a moment of immersion'll be worthwhile
I think so.

>Seems reasonable to me.
I could see her leaving hastily in a profound state of distress as one of her reckless emotional responses. But first of all I don't see her as suicidal on any level. And then the events of the game week have me convinced that they'd be able to, if they are at all to, make it through that together.

Anyway, just characterally it's unrealistic that she'd leave her. Her love for Max and fear of abandonment vastly outweigh her self-esteem issues. Especially since Max helps her overcome those. The choice in the end is ultimately the latter. They are drawn, emotionally and otherwise, to each other so strongly I just can't see any such impulse tearing them apart, over short and long.

Well, that post was entirely facetious, but seriously, do you think the intention behind the Save Chloe ending was "everyone lives happily ever after"?

Not gonna lie though, it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think that someone replied to my post a week after the fact, so thank you for that.

She was willing to sacrifice herself pretty readily, and it's established throughout the game that her tough exterior is hiding strong feelings of inferiority and abandonment. I don't think any of what I said was based on "headcanon".

I know full well I'll be labeled a "shit-eater" for saying this, but... Don't you think that, just maybe, if the writers were able to create characters you liked once, they could do it again? Feelings for fictional characters, for me at least, aren't and shouldn't have to be exclusive.

>we're talking about what's realistic

Reality is what you've actually seen, not what you wanted to see.

>Not gonna lie though, it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think that someone replied to my post a week after the fact, so thank you for that.

no problem, baitcuck :)

It could be anything, a break up being brought back together again.