Comparing costs per country

I live in a country (the Netherlands) that makes it impossible for anyone that isn't a millionaire to drive a fun car.

>inb4 miata
I said a fun car

Seriously, gas prices alone are so rediculous that driving anything with a big engine is almost out of the question.
Not even mentioning the costs of insurance, and the fucking tax for owning a car.

Here's an example of what me and my dad have to pay for our cars.

I'm 22 and I drive a BMW 316i from 2000. (slow and old as fuck)
Insurance costs me 80 euros a month, tax is 60 euros a month.
Petrol goes for about 1,45 euro's per liter.

My dad drives a 2003 BMW 330d. (This is considered a fast car here, lol)
If I were to buy this off of him, my monthly costs would be as following;
Insurance 135 euros a month, tax is 155 euros a month (because it's a diesel).
Diesel goes for about 1,05 euros per liter.

So owning this piece of shit 316i costs me 140 euros a month without driving it a fucking centimeter.
Owning the 330d would cost me almost 300 euros a fucking month without driving it!
That's half of the fucking value of the car A YEAR in just insurance and taxes. Not to even speak of actually driving it on this fucking expensive fuel.

My dream car is an E46 M3 but I never even bothered calculating the costs of that. It's out of the fucking question if I continue living here.

So tell me Veeky Forums,

where are you from and can you give me a guesstimation of what it would cost you to own either one of these vehicles?
I wanna know how bad it differs from other countries.

You choose yourself a fucking car you want and run the gas mileage plus three liters because fuck you multiplied by how many kilometers you will drive it per month plus five hundred because fuck you.

Then you halve that and imagine how much you'd save if you'd install an LPG system, because that's about as much as you would.
There's always a way, and this is the only one if you want to drive bigbux car in continental Europe. Git gud.

Taxes and insurance can be avoided if you have a brain. It's called the European Union. All you need is a post box forwarding letters to you in some bumfuck country out east where you can register and insure your car for a few pennies. European Union means you can drive it everywhere else with little to no restrictions because yay Schengen.

Git fucking gud mate.

My mate has a 330ci on LPG. It basically eats up 100hp.

I'm sure it does mate. My brother has one on his 3 series and it makes just as much power as before, except he pays half of the fuel bill. It eats up half the trunk, I'll readily admit that, but possible power loss is all in the settings of the machine. You need to run it rich.

How does he escape the idiotic taxes that come with driving LPG?

There's none of those in Germany. Neither fuel nor vehicle gets taxed to any relevant degree because of the system. LPG gets 9,7 cents per liter tax. Benzin gets 65,54 Eurocent, Diesel 47,07 Eurocent per liter. They want more of this stuff on the road because it burns cleaner than gasoline.

Finland
Mercedes-Benz C 220 CDI ´04
Insurance: 24,5€/month
Fuel tax(because diesel): 55€/month
Price of diesel: 1,1€/liter

Oh I heard about that.
That's SO much better than the idiotic system we have. The heavier the car the more you pay, even when you dont drive it.
Basically forcing everyone to drive light small cars. It's so fucking hilarious seeing all these shitboxes on the road.

So including taxes, how much does a liter of benzin run you?

thats absolutely crazy mate.
can you believe i litteraly pay 1,75 times as much for my beater 316i?

At the moment anything between 1,15€ and 1,30€ depending on the current mood of our black gold overlords down in the desert.

My ass is hurting more and more with each one of your replies, cause they make me realize how hard my government is fucking me in it.

So get a German friend and register it over here!

Köyhä

I'm dieing to get more info on this.

How does it work and do I have to drive with german plates then?

Aika eroottinen moottori sulla. Mikä Mersu?

>countries that aren't America

W123 300D vapari

this desu senpai.
I'm German but I moved to the US. life is good now :^)

I'm a buscuck right now but my dad drives a 1997 E39 2.5L petrol, and the insurance is 140 euros yearly. Yup, that's yearly hahaha. He has had a license for 18 years though, and has never caused an accident.
Still that's cheap as fuck, so get rekt everybody .
Country's Lithuania btw.

Forgot to mention. It gets 11,5l/100km combined and LPG costs 0,39 euros a liter right now.
That's 20.5 MPG and 1.66$ a gallon for Americans.

Mainio peli, pidä ajokunnossa, niin pitkään kuin lompakko kestää.

Bikes are still untouched, mostly because responsible_adults™ don't even consider them
>But with euro 4/5/6 they're gonna cuck us too

You need a place that you can say is your residence and will stand up to basic questioning, so either a halfway solid friend or someone you pay to pretend to be that. Then you register the car at that address and drive it with the plate of that place. Yes you will drive German plates. But it'll probably still be better than what you suffer right now.

Ei kestä enää pitkään, opiskelijan vaikea pitää 7 sarjan bemaria ja tuota.
Vissii pumppu menossa pikkuhiljaa koska entinen taksi ja 700k lasissa.

I've been wanting to move there to, but I don't know how.

Isn't it impossible to get a greencard?

What state did you move to and how did you pick that particular place?
And how did you find work?

No, laita ees jonnekin suojaan odottamaan rahaisampia aikoja, vai ootko jo valmis luopumaan?
Ittellä oli opiskeluaikoina ensiksi E21 318i ja sit Sierra 2.0 doch, kumpikin vähän hiposteltuja :)
t. vanha mies

Olen valmis luopumaan, valitettavasti. Vaatii oikeastaan vain maalaamista ja vähän hifistelyä pinnan puolin, oikeestaan sen maalin et saa uuden näkööse.

Really interested too

>tax is 155 euros a month
jesus christ
even in the UK if you owned the dirtiest piece of shit of a car it's only like £500 for the whole year

You dumb lazy shit. Im 19 and I've earned 30,000 euros just by selling pancakes for 4 months during summer.
You are just fucking lazy get off of your ass and start a fucking business.

P.S. I live in the fucking balkans.

Fuck off stupid Slovene

>you have to pay a monthly tax to drive a car
what kind of gay baby bullshit is this? what kind of stupid moron in your government thought "yeah, that's totally a good idea and not in any way going to adversely depress car sales and job opportunities"

They say they use it to build and maintain roads and shit.

W8 how is that related to job opportunities?
>inb4 less people work in car sales

I'm in the UK
For tax on the 316i it would be £235 a year, and for insurance it would be £1384.08 and that doesn't have a tracker.

Im a Croat, and didn't mention mention that it was 2 summers of span 4 months each.
I worked 8 months without stop.
Once I get atleast 150 k euros im out of this shitty country and going to Switzerland.
Then and only then will I worry about cars. (which are my only joy in life)

That why chavs drive riced out saxos and corsas and other shitboxes there?

>get 30k flippin pancaces n shit in 4 months
>shitty country
dude

Oh I forgot to mention was that the whole country is poverty ridden, its just that dumb tourist keep coming and buying my pancakes during summer for ridiculous price.
Average yearly wage for someone working in retail is about 4800 euro.

so lets pretend for a moment that I'm like OP and ignorant of my ability to avoid the tax and overpriced insurance

now imagine that I'm looking both for a first car and a first job. faced with the tax and insurance I may opt to not buy a car and be forced to look locally and be limited to major roads. I may not find a job locally, or may find only something that underpays

There's this thing called a functional public transport system here.

It's okay, burgers generally don't know what that is.

Quebekistan
>surcharge if more than 4.0l displacement
>surcharge if car cost more than $40k new for 7 years
>surcharge when renewing if you live on island
>20 cent surcharge per liter for gas on island

yea
where you live is also a huge factor in insurance costs here because of things like crime
Each postcode is assigned a rating between A and F, but I think it's a load of bullshit.

I would get quotes for about £800 for a 15 year old Nissan Micra when I was 17 and a mate that lived less than 3 miles away got quotes for over £3000 on the same car if we just changed my address to his address. He actually lived in a postcode that had the same rating as mine, but the area he lived in was rougher than mine.
It was closer to 4 grand if we put in his actual details because his mum had been in an accident a year before.

>Being a slave
Yeah we have no clue. Going out to my 7.0L V8 that I pay $300 yearly in insurance for. Later Mohamed.

>implying he won't have been beheaded by the time you get back

Uhh, mind explain what "quotes" mean? Like asking price from a dealer?

I've never bought a car from a dealer, always private and I ain't thgat great with english, because I'm kinda tipsy.

You're sorta close, I was talking about insurance.
I imagine there are similar things like this in other countriies.
You can go to some websites, put in the details of the car (you can put in just the licence plate and it gets all the details), put in the details of all the drivers, and put in where you live.
It then runs this through some software and it displays what various insurance providers would charge you. The insurance companies are "quoting" you a price. You can then buy the insurance from there.

Oooh, yeah, now I get it.
Something like that over here in Finland, but the insurance prices are usually pretty similar no matter the company or location where you live.

>probably a shitbox
>most require "boxes"
>i pay half annually on a 100hp motorbike
>mfw

I don't speak penguin, but I have always wanted a 300D

>needing companies and government instances to take you where you need to go because you're cucked out of owning your own car by the very same government
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

Piece of shit, but a glorious piece of shit. Better than the bus.

How do you deal with that?
Lower cost of living?

Ga nepcoke verkopen

Eh? The Benz isn't really THAT expensive to keep, it's the fuel tax that rapes me to death.

>want vast welfare state
>shocked when it has to be paid for

>Be latvian
>all bmws below year 2000 are beat to shit
>vw bora 1.9tdi costs like 25 euro a year for the insurance
>diesel is a bit over 1 euro/liter
5l per 100km
IT COSTS NOTHING
although the wages are absolute shit here and i want to kill myself so it balances everything out

Oh, forgot about road tax, which is 35 euro a year

That Volkswagen is going to rape you in things breaking down and terrible working conditions. Those things are a fucking nightmare to work on.

Open an insurance rental service for Germans and Netherlanders who want to save money

8 years going strong, only turbo went once about 4 years ago. I got the car from my father a while ago, it's great for now.

In Quebec aka a shithole with lots of taxes a car with a 7l engine would cost like 600-700$ a year in taxes. Although the insurance are American tier and gas is like 1 weed buck per liter.