Is it a bad idea to get a car with leather seats if you live somewhere with a hot climate?

Is it a bad idea to get a car with leather seats if you live somewhere with a hot climate?

yes. this applies to vinyl as well.

Leather is superior to cloth because you can't fuck it up, don't worry about dust, stains and shit

The main worry is that leather gets hot as fuck compared to cloth.

Leather does stretch over time, so you will get to butt cheek dimples.

I personally prefer cloth, but it does get dirty and look nasty if you don't look after it. My last Subaru cloth interior looked new at 100K miles because I didn't eat in it and I sprayed the seats with Scotch Gard every year.

My wife's Mini convertible has their vinyl seats. They get FUCKING HOT in the summer, especially if the top is left down on a sunny. We carry a couple of towels to deal with the heat. OTOH, the vinyl is very high quality and they still look new after 6 years with simple wipe-downs. You can clean bird shit and tree sap off of them easily with Windex.

Remote start. Problem solved.

Many places will refuse t put remote start on any car with a manual transmission because it's a liability.

If you find a wiring diagram for your car, it's pretty easy to do. It took me 6 hours to install mine, but I took my time to organize the wire loom and heatshrink everything. I also made diagrams and a spreadsheet detailing every wire beforehand so probably 8 hours overall. It was fun and saved the $1000 a local shop wanted, claiming that window automation, a backup battery, and extra siren required 3 hours to install.

The last car I had came with leather seats. Had the windows tinted with 20% give or take. Never had hot seats.

Only occasionally bothers me, otherwise a sunshade is usually more than enough.

Unless I leave the roof off, then shit's impossible to sit on if it's been left in the sun.

My experience living in Australia, at least.

I live in L.A, and purchased an Impala with all leather. The first 90 degree day in it was absolute hell. Leather burned my legs, felt extra hot and I couldn't escape it. Now I know why my mom put a towel on her Exploder seat.

It's ok if you can deal with it on a daily basis. Easy to clean.

It's a bad idea to get leather seats period.

if you are a pussy bitch who drives without anything covering your dick and balls then you may want to reconsider

Light leather master race. Way cooler after sitting in the sun. You just can't be a dirty person.

Is there really that big of a difference in heat between black leather and lighter leather seats?

Yes. Dark colors absorb heat more while lighter colors repel heat. This is why 99.99999999% of cars in Dubai are white.

Would a light silver car with black leather seats still be a bad idea then?

Sorry it's a bit specific, I was possibly gonna get a 2016 Civic in that color and the only interior option for silver is black.

If you're a woman or are planning to drive women at any point, keep in mind that even if a dress covers their legs the thinner material won't insulate much of the heat. Even slacks are usually thick enough to insulate enough heat to prevent it from actually hurting you. Starting wearing pants more frequently, like a goddamned adult, and you won't have to worry so much about it.

Then the leather won't be that hot (grew up in a desert, can confirm this). Besides, sitting onto hot leather seats is almost therapeutic. People pay US$60-100 to get the same sensation for a little bit longer, except with rocks and greasy men.

Put on some pants, or man the fuck up, unless you're a lady in which case I'm sorry that adorable dresses and skirts expose your legs but wear pants or get a blanket to sit on?

I'm a guy, so I'd mainly just be worried about accidentally burning lady bums. I'll probably go with leather anyway and hope for the best.

>what are shorts

Yes. My sister's Mazda 3 with black seats is unbearable when you first get in and it's a non-issue in my mom's car with light seats (even with dark paint)

No. The civic is shit.