I found this under my driver side dash board in my 2002 Kia Optima V6. I bought the car from a dealership in February...

I found this under my driver side dash board in my 2002 Kia Optima V6. I bought the car from a dealership in February. Also my car has stopped working recently. When I was driving everything got cut off suddenly. The engine wasn't over heated, had fuel, spark plugs are alright, and fuel pump is also alright. I changed out the fuel strainer.

>What is the item in the item in the picture?
>And suggestions on fixing my car.

Other urls found in this thread:

affordablehomeelectronics.com/browseproducts/CallPassTech---STE-1000--Tracking-Device-(GPS)-STE1000.HTML
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>buying a car that old from a dealer
You dun goofed, even more so if you didn't pay cash.

Probably an immobilizer used by buy here pay here lots.

go back and get it fixed, if its within a few months do it under lemon law

I used cash.

And that's what I'm thinking it is. Anyway to fix it?

Whatever it is everything other than power and ground has been cut off so it probably wasn't doing much.

Very few states have any laws regarding used car lemon laws.

Any sort of identifying markings? Maybe try putting it back? I'm not really familiar with how they work, but it would seem the car needs a signal from this device to allow it to start. If it works after putting it back, the dealer should disable it since you own the car.

>Very few states have any laws regarding used car lemon laws.
dude he sold you a car that was supposed to be in working order, suddenly your car stops working and you can't be out that money that'd be a fucking scam

It stopped working Thursday and I found the device today.

>go back and get it fixed
That's the scam nigga. The lot has disabled the car so when OP takes it back they can claim no warranty and push the upsell as a convenient solution. Then they reset the immob. and put the car back on the lot.

A car that's sold as-is without any warranty expressed by the dealer is just that, as-is. There are six states that offer any sort of protection on cars purchased without a warranty.

By stopped working, what do you mean? Do you get any activity from turning the key to acc or on? Does the starter engage, etc.?

The engine will turn over but the engine will not start. We have fuel making it to the engine so no fuel restrictions.

The thing could also be some kind of gps tracker
Someone doesnt pay, they track the car down and repo it

Show the other side...or any other markings did you cut the wires on the back?

Definitely sounds like an immobilizer issue. Have you tried leaving the negative battery cable unhooked for a bit to see if it resets with the device removed? I noticed there is another connector, do you see any sort of plug in the location where you found it?

Also this.

Whatever this thing is it hasn't done shit since it's entire wiring harness has been cut with the exception of it's power line. Could be a GPS tracker I suppose. Does it have a model number on it?

There's a barcode and it says, "keep this side down".

Make a wire to bridge the circuit and install where the immob. was.

Tried that.

And here you go.

it looks more like an alarm that has been disabled especially since it says "THIS SIDE DOWN" since those boxes need to be facing a certain way to for the accelerometer to work properly

>alarm
those things can cause havoc with your ignition circuit if installed or removed improperly.

From what I see it used to be and immobilizer / gps if you didn't cut the wires it was only used as GPS as it only has power wires (unless you unplugged something else)

I hopes you didn't try that if so check all your fuses it's a power wire you shorted

Also I said the other side not a close up of the same side

Did you cut or unplug any wires?

>Bought a used KIA from a stealership

How can people be this stupid yet still able to breathe?

Other side is blank. Sorry.

a google search for "STE-1 S/N" brings up other people asking about it and people saying it's a GPS unit

bust it the fuck open

Yeah, I've tried that and found the same exact thing.

Flip it over.
Is there a slot on the other side for a sim card?
If not crack that bitch open, you can easily identify what kind of system it is with chip numbers

Here's the other side.

Better pic of plugs.

affordablehomeelectronics.com/browseproducts/CallPassTech---STE-1000--Tracking-Device-(GPS)-STE1000.HTML

Not the same exact shape case but it has the exact same connectors on it

With that many connectors, I still say it's a buy here pay here immobilizer/tracker. If all you found were power and ground wires, then it may have been improperly disabled by the dealer. It would seem as though they would've removed the unit entirely, as those remote immobilizers aren't exactly cheap.

And the cord that plugs into the box.

You must be a troll...I see several post asking about other wires and then to you said you shorted the power wires and ignored advice to check the fuses

Also it has a fuse connected to the wire.

Forgot to attach picture.

I did check the fuses.

In the car if you shorted it as the pic sujusted you would blow a fuse in your car

On why your car is not running did you get it towed home...do the interior lights come on, have you checked the battery dies it make noise when you turn the key

Unless you cut or unplugged other wires this has nothing to do with your problem

Interior lights do come on. The check engine light is on and I rented a diagnostic computer from Autozone and it wouldn't even detect my vehicle.

Check your cig lighter fuse, they like to tie the obd2 power into that

Guys I appreciate all your help but I'm going be am idiot and bite the bullet and take it to a shop my friends owns. At least he'll do it for me cheaper.

It's a telematic device, for tracking the cars location, speed etc.