How in the FUCK did Chevy manage to get 170HP from a fucking 5.0L V8?

How in the FUCK did Chevy manage to get 170HP from a fucking 5.0L V8?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVCC#EK
superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1503-four-ways-to-get-your-ls-engine-600-horsepower/
youtu.be/RI-lukE09gs?t=131
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably emissions. I also read some stuff about small bore long stroke vs large bore small stroke but I'm no expert.

They used those dubs, senpai

Literally every car in the 70's and 80's had shit HP due to mpg, emissions and a bunch of other shit. If they can make a fuckton of power, they can figure out a way to make jack fuck zero power

Because the 305 has a tiny cylinder more.
This means small valves
Small valves means the engine can't flow air in or out for shit. A Honda 4 banger will outflow a 305 V8.

An engine is essentially an air pump so the more air you can get in and out and the faster you can do it, the more power it will make.
305's are shit at this.

derate

>a tiny cylinder more.
BORE. ugh. fucking typo.

>i have no idea what the fuck i am talking about: the post

Ford's 302 (4.9) made a whopping 140hp in High Output trim in the 70s

1. Large bore small stroke
2. Smog
3. Restrictive Manifolds
4. Long Gearing [On the auto]

Absolutely Barbaric

It'd almost like there was a fuel and emissions crisis we were still recovering from or something

>gearing affects hp

gearing changes HP.
THANKS M8

0 to 60 on the auto was like 8.4 man

holy fug same second.

>tripfags in charge of explaining power output

Check the CFMs of 305 heads, then compare them to a 350's and get back to me.

>GEARING
>AFFECTING HP

>how to spot a busrider

>socal
>thinks his opinion matters

Lmao

I'm sorry, what?

You know California isn't the entire west coast right? Right?

I really REALLY want to buy a 91 Camaro that is good condition and rebuild it into something special. Completely rebuild the interior and spice everything up with clean finishes. I also want to swap the motor, change the suspension, tires/wheels, exhaust etc.

I fucking love the look of the 91 Camaro, but building on it into something special would make it even better.

do it fgt

>those dials
>those wheels
Only thing I'd like is the white paint job. I want something subtle looking by still stands out.

350 piston face area: 12.56 sq inches

305 piston face area: 10.96 sq inches

12.56/10.96= 1.14
350/305= 1.14

its the same fucking thing, completely proportional to engine size

>No one mentions about shit like Honda engines making a SCREAMING 75hp during the smog era and before EFI

just meant to be
inspiration you arsehole :")

>not mentioning those hondas only had 1300 furious ccs

Using dubs when they have trips. LOL Cheby.

It's not about piston area dipshit. It's about VALVE area. Pistons don't let air into the engine.

75hp from a 1.4l I4 in the 70s is pretty good.

requiring double the cylinders and an extra 3.6l to get 100 more hp is not.

75hp fom a 1.3l is better than 140 from a 5.0

1.8L dumb nigger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVCC#EK

that just means they share the same stroke my autistic friend

tfw your nip engine is only rated for 61 hp

Cheer up, not even 55hp and pushrods can bring Twingo down.

brb killing self but is still retarded for not even realizing that, but instead arguing that valve area is somehow independent of piston area

whats the Cd and frontal area on one of those?

>valve area is independent of piston area
Outside of a maximum size, yes.

>tfw 305

0.35 and 20.99 ft^2, according to the internet.

>5.0 V8
>155 hp
>155

What. The. Fuck.
Holy garbage

Dunno.

I thought 215 HP stock for my 98 explorer 5.0 was some what bad but 170 for the chevy is just autistic....

What about Ford 5.0s?

It probably makes that 170hp at almost idle and has a shit load of torque. 170hp from a big V8 and 170hp from a inline 4 are completely different. it's pointless to compare them.

so it's a truck engine

Ford 302s are fine. The foxbody stock heads are awful, but GT40 heads/intake manifold, a decent cam (E303 if you want to stick with what works/is cheap) and a not-shit exhaust will put you at about 300 crank hp. Your explorer has said heads and intake manifold, just a shit cam and some things.

Smog, smog, and smog. Before modern ECUs and modern cats and modern fuel injection and cylinder deactivation and all that other modern voodoo, they met pollution requirements by de-tuning the engine, reducing airflow and increasing exhaust back-pressure, and recirculating as much exhaust gas back through the engine as they could without killing it.

Was a rough time for engines in general. Inb4 >hp/L and weebs forgetting that some parts of the world didn't have a displacement tax dictating engine design.

Ive got torque monster headers installed and since the engine was so cucked by the stock headers it now makes another ~40 ft lbs and 15 more HP.

It really is a monster waiting to be unleashed.

low compression
smog pump
demand for economy
vacuum PVC witchcraft
other emissions equipment

also the fact that it's a 305, only thing worse is a oldsmobile 307

Cam is holding you back at this point. I think you have to do something with the vale springs too though.

Yup. My '87 pick-up has a small-block 350, a 5.7L V8 making 185hp and 295 torqs.

you are so dumb you are really really dumb

>What about Ford 5.0s?
The Ford 302's actually have a large bore so they're fine. Just swap the heads and cam.

Oddly enough,, Chevy had a glorious 5.0L V8 from 1967-1969. They took a 350 block and paired it to a 283's crankshaft to make a Chevy 302. It gave Ford SERIOUS competition so much so that Chevy 302 powered Z28 Camaro's won the 1968 and 1969 Trans Am championships.
The Ford 302 made more power, but it was peaky, only making power within a certain RPM range, while the Chevy 302 make power throughout the entire RPM range, but primarily between 3k and 8k rpm.

Chevy know how to make a good 5.0L. They just didn't want to. The 305 is trash.

>4. Long Gearing [On the auto]
wtf lmao

That's decent for a car that big that has 170HP

greatest ally

You think that's crazy, look up the 1976 Cadillac 8.2 liter... only 190 HP, 20 less than the year before.

dat 360ft/lbs @ 2000 rpm tho

torque doesn't matter

heh he he hehehehe

i dunno lol, maybe they used flux capacitors on the injector bearings

>torque doesn't matter

Stronger springs, lighter valves, better Cam, more free flowing intake and carb and you should be golden for low 400s

>torque doesn't matter
>inb4 muh gearing

Gearing works both ways. If you have a high-torque engine, chances are it doesn't rev extremely higher. User somewhat taller gears to compensate. If you have a high revving engine, chances are it doesn't have an amazing torque figure. Use shorter gears.

Why didn't chevy turbocharge the iron duke? Chrysler had their EEK turbos and Ford the, was it the Lima?

Have an 88' Iroc myself. 350 tpi auto trans. Shit's dank senpai.

Because they hated anything that wasn't a blower on their performance engines.

>Auto

WHY?!

>isn't aware of the glass Chevy T5
Their auto trans was the only thing that could survive the 350 at the time.

because Pontiac and Cosworth teamed up to make a DOHC conversion you were able to buy at dealers. Rare as fuck now and uber expensive.

So basically they bated free power during the smog and no power era

Pretty much, and they've never moved from that model since.

Even the LS Series has a bunch of free power to be untapped with good cams and heads.

superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1503-four-ways-to-get-your-ls-engine-600-horsepower/

>155hp at the crank
>about 110 at the wheels
>14mpg

top kek you can't make this shit up

>when it came out it made less

youtu.be/RI-lukE09gs?t=131

I thought F-bodies handled pretty well?

>honda fags

Fact. 318 reporting in. 180 hp, 300 ft-lbs of torque. Rip the smog shit off an toss a cam in and those figures almost double.

but emissions doesnt count the upper end of the revving range when the emissions systems are turned off.

emissions only tests up to about 3500rpm which is when the EGR cuts out. practically every car fools emissions testing because they're allowed to just turn off all of the fart valves at this point.

They do but its a meme that all American cars can't turn.

you can see it in the fuel maps even.
see those flat areas? instead of the fuel injection being a more steady curve, it runs lean just before the emissions testing target RPMs so it will pass then the turbos are allowed to work and the fuel map becomes more efficient.

here's another example. tuned is the bottom image.

My 305 makes 230 hp and 300 tq stock.

I always thought of it as Chevy making it like that for emissions and then once you have it, they want you to do whatever the fuck you want with it.

What sort of a retarded-ass excuse is that? My scooter has four valves and makes only 5 HP, but at 50ccm volume that rounds up to about 100HP/liter. And it has the volume of a fucking shot glass! Maybe your god damn engineers just need to get their asses in gear.

Your scooter also has 1 cylinder.
The 305 has 8, but only 16 valves.
Pic related, a 305 head

Here's mine

you wish it made 5HP. scooters are a scam. I go faster on my 750w e-bike than my honda today scooter ever went. no registration fees either.

exactly my point. with 4 valves, you have more valve area and better airflow. Plus scooters aren't subjected to the same emissions controls cars are.

That's more down to the godawful CVT than the engine.

In Germany they are.

There's also the fact the 305 heads flow like shit to start with before getting into that.
It's possible to modify a 305 for more power, but you'll hit the N/A limit around 300 HP.

>how is hp calculated

>4stroke 50cc
>5hp
kek, does it rev to like 40k?
if it was a 2smoke it'd nearly make 5hp depend how shittily the ports are cast.