24h of Lemons

Making this thread to share some pictures and stories of my race weekend at Gingerman Raceway. Pic related is the car I raced in

24 hour of lemons would be rad if it was like the rookie of the year tournament equivalent to racing where getting first means you can get a boost into pro racing

that would mean that people bring money into it and suddenly a series where you can just show up and compete becomes a series where if you aren't dumping cash you aren't competitive

How was the 3400 V6 throughout the race?

neet
>not having 2 thunderbolts side by side

lol

seriously though hope you had a good time.

That's pretty much what it is though
Actually pretty good. Slow and wants to overheat all the time but reliable

>wants to overheat all the time
intake manifold gaskets and a lower temp thermostat
>but reliable
Sounds right to me. people give the 3400 and 3100 shit all the time but they're not that unreliable.

So when did the transmission shit itself?

Our team did pretty damn good I think. We were in C class which is the last class but we finished 3rd in class and 29th overall with 78 cars total

That's what IKF, SKUSA, and Rotax Challenge of the Americas are for. Lemons is more about just being fun than serious, the cars aren't anywhere close to equal enough for it to be a driver development series. Maybe if it was Spec Neon or something instead.

How much did you pay for the rollcage? I've actually been to Gingerman the last 2 races. Always wanted to compete but am a poorfag
Damn, I thought Caprices would be over the allowed weight. Then maybe there is hope for a Roadmaster...

I see, I'll have to tell the guy who owns it since all he did was put a new radiator on it. She didn't and the thing has 200k+ miles on it. She did have trouble when it was a hotter day and you were in a corner trying to accelerate. She would just not listen to you

I'm not sure how much the roll cage was since not my car and didn't ask. Nope the thing is actually pretty quick too. He was leading C class at some point

sounds like it could use a performance tune. HPTuners offers support for those Monte Carlos with the 3.4L. As a bonus, it can also tune the transmission as well.

Haha, is class C still the "too hopeless to finish" category? I always dig those entries. Last time I was there a guy had a Fiat x1/9 that ran 12 laps the entire event.

Seems good, the front bumper is gone now too. One of our drivers was out doing pretty good and let a Jetta pass him and the dude spun right in front of him and he had no where to go so fucked up the front left fender so badly the wheel well was cracked and we had to spend 2 hours hammering it, welding a metal piece on and fixing the air filter area. Then we changed both front tires at that time. The best part is we were 10 laps in the lead for C class.
>me sleeping in my car the first night since no hotel

Yes it is. In fact that Fiat guy ran a Ford ZX2 for this race and did pretty good till they had to replace the alternator FIVE times and then they basically melted 3rd gear and just ran the race in 4th

Power muh nigga, got any onboard footage or vid of any kind? want to hear dem tyre squeals
Congrats, you were going to race a couple of races or i remember wrong?

Was my first real life race with cars. And I did a 2 hour stint each day so I think I did pretty good. Apparently my lap times were all with in 2:09-2:10

How did you compare with the other dudes on your team? Will you go racing again in the near future?

We did actually have a Go Pro on I just have to wait for them to put it on youtube so once that happens I'll post it around here in Veeky Forums. Actually the tires didn't squeal unless I went off the racing line. Yeah that's the plan next one is in July if I get off of work

I was slow, at least according to me. The dude who has raced about 20 Lemons races was doing 2:04-2:06s, then the dude who races Miatas was doing about the same, then the guy who doesn't race but knows less then me was doing 2:07s but I did get a 2:07 on the last day but went back to doing slower laps to keep everything in check. And the owner is the slowest with like 2:12s. So yeah I was slow. Yeah I'd like to the next one in my area of travel is actually where I live

cool, link to ovg i will be checking.

Did you have to do some dumb penalty as they show in the wrapups?

I want to do one of these but it seems like more of a money sink than they claim
>everyone seems to go over on the car cost
>plus parts to fix it up
>plus need to install roll cage
>plus tons of time to work on it
>plus track suits, helmets, etc (obviously these can be reused but I don't own them)

how much did you spend in the end? Seems like you need $2k per person per team, $8-10k total for a single event.

Nope, the only time something happened was the dude who is 26 got black flagged for passing under yellow like a fucking noob

It's retardly expensive yeah. It also depends on the team you are racing with, and how much they need from you for certain things and so forth. But I spent 600 to race for that weekend and 900 on my safety gear, oh and 75 for the practice day

Had some great close racing with people. Great practice if you want to know how to race in a pack and racing off the race line

I'm gonna sound like /ovg/ here but sim racing actually helped me A LOT. And not by going fast or lap times but it really helped with just knowing how to read other drivers. When are they going to dive bomb where are they going to pass and so forth. Yes it helps with racing lines but you can learn that from on board videos. It also helped a lot when people would go for a pass and you would lose them and just being able to hold a line mid corner without hitting them. So next time someone says sim racing can't teach you anything tell them to fuck off

Felt good to have been very consistent, made no contact with people, no crashes, didn't go off track at all, no black flags, and we got a podium, for our class at least

I actually have a piece of shit Lincoln that I could enter, only needs a rollcage which would be more than I bought it for...

Overall all the drivers seemed okay. Had a few dive bombs but nothing I didn't assume would happen. Had the Killer Whale Impala SS pull out in front of me after he spun in turn one so that was fun. Saw a few people spin while going into corners and saw one BMW completely miss his braking point and go straight off at a turn.
The sad part is they didn't run a single lap.

Forgot pic

Oh man I'd love to see that thing race. Might actually do well since you'd strip a lot of weight out of it.

This dude, he was quick but dumb. I was braking for the last turn which is after the longest strait so you are doing about 100mph+ depending on what you are driving. And I was braking at my normal braking spot he had time to out brake me but instead he stays behind me and freaks out and brakes harder and locks his back brakes making him almost spin out right behind me.

This van was neat. They through a 5 speed manual transmission into it and were leading after we had our crash but we ended up catching back up with them later on.

I'd like to make a Chaparral themed car with a yuge adjustable wing ala 2E and 2F, engine runs pretty stronk too

If you did that you'd have made the best car in Lemons in my book

That is cool as fuck. I want a manual transmission dustbuster minivan now.

Same man, tfw no manual trans GMC vans or those big CHEBY vans

These guys were legit. One of their drivers was bumper to bumper racing with me for about 20 laps till we got separated after some faster guys came through us. tfw they made him take the guns off because muh field of view

Oh, did that one red shooting brake "breadvan" show up? I think it was an opel? That shit was cash

Nope, it was getting fixed up. Silly you ask since one of the drivers actually raced with us. He said it should be ready for the race in July though

>death race fox body with nerf Gatling guns
neat

>even here, RWD reigns supreme

Nice! Are you planning to run again? Last time I was there, there was a few buy your way in teams. I may try to get in now, seems fun as shit

Yes first place overall was a 3 series BMW.
I do plan on to at some point whether that be July or later I have no idea yet. But you do get hooked that is for sure

Dude, I was there for Saturday most of the day just to check it out. Wondered how you guys were going to fare in that thing. Didn't seem like you were off the track much at least.

Talked with some of the other racers while I was there, though. Hoping I can enter something next year but I think I'm going to have to eat the cost of a car + fab myself before anyone would consider teaming up. Had to drive 7 hours from the north just to see the race so that's not helping convince people, either.

Dat badger tho

Oh nice good to see someone on here went. Yep we were down for 2 hours only because of fender damage. Literally the only reason we didn't win C Class

Do you have a pic of the fake Superbird in the back of this shot?

Sounds like a good experience, OP.

H-here you go.

I didn't take a picture of every car up close so the other user might have come further images

What about NASA HPDE?
All you need is a helmet. No rollcage required.

Friend came with a decent camera so I have a few close ups. No more of the glorious 43 mockup, though.

1/28

Ah yes that's the Jetta that fucked up our car. Also thank you for your dump

2/28

3/28

It was inevitable. Every corner he was up on three wheels because lel no suspension play.

4/28

Yeah I mean it wasn't intentional but it just sucked

5/28

6/28

Aye no doubt.

7/28

8/28

9/28

10/28

And this is my last photo. We won this since we were in first for class before getting into a crash. Also because we had two smaller crashes before that

11/28

lmao

12/28
Fuckin kek I missed the awards at the end. Good job m80

13/28

Thanks, probably was the best weekend I have had ever.

14/28

15/28

What kind of car is the #111?

16/28

Chrysler Imperial

17/28

>tfw imperial was probably lapped by the van at least once