Why is the Challenger so fucking heavy?

why is the Challenger so fucking heavy?

I tried google but I couldn't get a satisfying answer.

Mercedes based chassis.

i dont know what that means because im a dumb bitch that knows nothing about cars, please enlighten me

it's big and made of metal and other stuff

i know man but why is it so much heavier than the other muscle/pony cars?

im just trying to learn stuff here

Cause it's a fucking Sedan Chassis.

And the reason it's so good.

It's not meant to be light. Not everyone wants to feel every rattle or rock in the road. It's a cruiser car,not a track car.

Old chassis + modern safety regulations = heavy-ass car. Newer chassis are designed to be lighter instead of having to add shit on to an older, heavier chassis.

Although to be fair, you can't deny that the car benefits from it. It's just heavy, a luxury chassis will do that.

It came around when the prevailing thinking to making a car compliant with safety regs was to throw more metal at it.

so it's the chassis. thank you guys. i love the car, i just want to know a little more about it before i get my hands on it. whenever that is...

Something else to keep in mind, the gen before 2015 has serious quality issues.

ouch, for instance?

i heard something about the transmission being shit..i think

Well, the trans isn't shit but the new Auto 8 blows both the manual and the former Auto tranny out of the water.

Prone to rusting in some areas and the interior was ugly cheap plastic.

eh..

i probably wont be able to get one of the new models...ill probably be lucky if i even get a 2013/2014.

my dad's buying it so it's his choice. ill take what i can get.

he said that manuals are more expensive to maintain, so ill probably just get an auto.

That is literally horseshit on all accounts.

what

i know he might not be correct about manuals being more expensive, but if i want a free above average car, im just going to go with it

He is 100% incorrect. You will regret not getting a manual if you enjoy driving.

it's his choice man

maybe i could write an essay/argument and provide facts and shit about how it's NOT more expensive, i could change his mind, but even then i dont know. he doesn't like admitting he's wrong.

OK I misread, I thought he was buying it for you as a gift. He probably has a slightly stiff knee but won't admit it, so he'll make up other bullshit for getting the auto.

it IS a gift, i guess i mistyped.

he's pretty much going to pay for the whole thing in full, at least until i get a job. either way it's his money, his choice. im just glad i won't be stuck in a shitty 2016 mustang or any other generic half-running shitbox

Then tell him manual makes a great theft deterrent as well as giving the car a higher resale value.

Better idea, ask him to help you finance a new SXT and use half the budget as down payment.

It will improve your credit and you will be able to buy shit on your own in the future without draining your bank.

Then why are you here?

>Challenger
>Manual
>Resale Value

The chassis
The exact same reason the 5th gen camaro was so heavy

If you're not getting a 15 or newer then get a Mustang instead. Pre 15 Challengers have absolute dogshit interiors.

I'm not a woman or a white teen

how bad are they really though?

Terrible. A sea of ugly cheap black plastic. Though since you're not white an old Challenger would suit you well.

Before

looks fine to me

im sure the new shit is amazing though

why are the windows so fucking tiny?

I tried google but I couldn't get a satisfying answer.

Safety regulations.

Only thing is the A pillar is fat. I don't have any visibility problems.

yeah ok thats a pretty big improvement

previous is tolerable for me though

so many little touches that are in poor taste. the shift boot looks tacky and the buttons look crummy and cheap. it would be nice to get some control surfaces that had some tactile feedback.

Not just look, but feel too.

I take it you don't own one?

At least they're actual buttons and not capacitive buttons.

i hate white faces on speedos

looks cheap, havent seen one i like

Doesn't matter when it can still beat any jap or German shit in a quarter mile

Now you've done it you baiting fuck

>inb4 gtr fanbois
>inb4 inb4

because everyone on this board is a dumb bitch that doesnt know shit about cars

Challenger is heavier than Mustang/Camaro because it's bigger than a Mustang or Camaro. Unlike the "pony" cars, the Challenger has a back seat that can accommodate grown-ass adults without making them miserable.

Think of the Challenger as a touring coupe, designed to be fast but comfy, where Mustang/Camaro are more "pure" balls-out performance cars.

Maintenance cost of an automatic vs manual depends on some external factors and a bit of luck. Obviously an auto will generally cost more to replace than a manual if it shits the bed, but a (good) automatic is likely to hold up better against a novice driver than a manual. If the Challenger is your first car, your dad is probably right- odds are you'll burn through a clutch over the course of learning to drive manual in it. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but it would incur some expense nonetheless. That said, it shouldn't be anything too excessive cost-wise unless you do something stupid and break the transmission, so definitely try to talk your dad into a manual.

my dad says that clutch will get fucked regardless of how skilled you are with a manual.

he bullshits me a whole fucking lot.

That's technically true, the clutch is a wear part and will need replacement eventually. In the hands of a skilled driver, though, it's so infrequent that the cost becomes negligible over the car's life.

friend was working on an older m5 with the original clutch at a little 200k miles. The clutch was still o.k. He said the owner said it was mostly highway miles, but tracked it once a month to every other month.