What is the point of this?

What is the point of this?

How many people have actually said "gee, I sure wish I didn't have to turn a cap to access my gas tank"?

the question is why aren't all cars like this
more racecar

Just another pointless thing to part the stupid and the lazy of their cash.

It was not made only to remove the cap (although it became a selling point anyway), it was made primarily to make it impossible to insert the wrong fuel nozzle in there.

With normal caps you can put gasoline in a diesel tank because the gasoline nozzle is smaller than the diesel one, but not vice versa.
With this one you can only insert the right nozzle regardless of the fuel you need, which is also why those cars also come with a "special" funnel so you can open the port and fill from a Jerry can in an emergency.
I had a diesel Focus as a rental once and I intentionally tried to put the gasoline nozzle (without the intention of filling of course) in there and you simply can't so it works.

Gasoline makes a ton of damage to a diesel engine and apparently the average driver can't be trusted with filling the car with the correct fuel so they made that thing.
My idea is that they made it primarily for the rental market, where mistakes like that are probably way more common.

It doesn't change your driving or refueling experience in the slightest so I don't really get the point of this thread.

bitching about new technologies or basically anything new is pretty par for course for Veeky Forums

It didn't factor in my decision to buy a car but it is convenient to have on my Fusion.

>It's for women
oh

It works.
When i first got this car i was freaked out though and covered the hole with cling film and consulted Ford in the meantime

You would be surprised to know the amount of men who consistently fill their cars with the wrong fuel

>he doesn't even read the feature list of the cars he buys.

Can confirm
My friend was driving a diesel work truck. He didn't know it was the only diesel they had, so he filled it with regular gasoline.

It's for women and the disabled who can't remember what the car takes.

It does, however, make it a LOT harder to lose the cap (it's not there), and so forth.

> The salesman didn't show you how to fill it up
I bet you don't even have the emergency filler tube.

but the cap comes attached to the car though

my BMWs from 2006 and 2009 have this protection AND a cap.
you cant push it to the end and if you start pumping it blocks the pumping after some drops like the tank is full
its hella annoying if you want to fill up with a jerrycan

on a landrover i used once a jerrycan and it locked the tank the sam way but the diffrence is that you cant just take after this the right nozzle... nooooooo.... you have to stand like an idiot at the gas station and than go and pay for gas for some cents, than drive home, google and find out that there is a shitty plastic piece of shit in the trunk where the spare wheel is wich you have to insert and unlock this shit....

fuck landrover

>ran out of gas for some reason in a Target parking lot, gauge was faulty
>middle of winter -20 fahrenheit
>gas station is luckily 200 yards away
>get the gas
>the safety device on the can is a bitch, have to use jumper cables and leverage to rip it off
>realize there isn't a fucking nozzle
>grab a magazine laying in the back and use it as a nozzle
>leave the soaked magazine in the parking lot

Car was used, it didnt come with it.
Had to get one from the dealer. Then i lost it and had to buy another one. So fucking annoying. There's supposed to be a space for it in the boot somewhere with the spare wheel but there isn't.

I wonder how many people said gee I wish I didn't have to crank this knob to open my windows

I wonder how many people said gee, I wish I didn't have to use 2 feet and push this stick around when I drive

Yet another pointless gadget to add to the modern car.

I wonder how many people said gee, I wish I didn't have to turn this key in my door every time I want to unlock the car