EGR valve

Hey everyone, my 2005 opel tigra twintop is blowing quite some black smoke (1.3 cdti, the fiat multijet common rail turbodiesel)

I've read online it might be a few things, but most likely the EGR valve or injectors, so I'm here to ask you:

- Do the "injector cleaners" additives to put in your engine work?
- Can i safely remove the connector of the EGR valve to stop its function? Would there be drawbacks (i.e. if i just plug it back, everything's back to normal?)

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iT8Iww44nZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It will most likely be the egr valve, shit clogs up, especially on diesels.

youtu.be/iT8Iww44nZM

Just clean it out, shouldn't cause any problems.

Injectorcleaners do next to nothing, waste of money.

Also: Jesus fucking CHRIST get a better car!

I'm really not a mechanical guy, I don't have the tools nor the knowledge to reach, take off, clean and reassemble the valve itself so it'd probably cost me 150-200€ to have it cleaned (i dont have that kind of money).

So.. about unplugging it..
I could also get someone to enter the ECU and disable it from there and hope to get it done for cheap, but i'd have to redo the whole process if i dont pass emissions

>(1.3 cdti, the fiat multijet common rail turbodiesel)
You mean the multijet block. Everything else is GM crap.

>about unplugging it..
best case your car won't pass smog, worst case is that it's stuck open

Yeah well, it was a sort of "forced purchase" on my end, hey at least its got a chain belt so thats not gonna break at 100k

im at 90k

ah so if my EGR is broken and its stuck on open, when i unplug it, its gonna let pass the exhaust shit always in the intake even when full throttle and its gonna shit up my engine bad?

I have no way to know for sure if its stuck open or closed though, or if its stuck at all.

very polite bump

>black smoke
injector(s) stuck open

Bad news, the chains are a known fault on these. Although if it breaks you'll probably just snap the rocker arms and not the valves. Fiat shouldn't be allowed to design engines.

isnt the chain guaranteed for life and if it snaps and rapes your shit up the manufacturer is supposed to pay up?

or its just gonna give me a few dollars for the chain?

Has it been serviced properly/recently?

LOL, no mate. Chains can be just as much a liability as a belt. They should in theory last for ages but due to cheap materials and making the chain too long between sprockets virtually guaranteeing it'll stretch, there's no guarantee it's bulletproof.

about 9 months ago

just fuck

The egr valve is the cheapest option if you try cleaning it, unfortunately it's in a bit of an awkward place on that engine but it's doable. Double check the oil level isn't too high as that could cause smoke, I'd replace the fuel filter as it's cheap and easy to do and you'd be surprised how many faults you can cure on a diesel just by making sure it's got good clean fuel.

I should mention it could also be the turbo. If the bearings are shagged it'll leak oil into the exhaust. You can check it yourself pretty easily, with the engine off and cold remove the plastic tube from the air filter box to the turbo, inside where the tube is attached on the turbo is the turbine, put two fingers in and you'll feel the shaft that holds it. Wiggle it and move it back and forth, there should be almost no movement, if there is then it's fucked.

This is what you need to check.

sorry for the late reply, hope you're still here

the smoke from the exhaust is black and comes from time to time, its not white nor blue so i doubt any oil is being burned, i'll check the turbine anyhow though, thanks for the hint

I think the fuel filter was changed 9 months ago, is it time for a new one? is it something i can do myself with ease or a pain?

>filter was changed 9 months ago, is it time for a new one?
No.

For what it costs to change, I'd definitely replace it. It's not necessarily due age wise, it depends more on the mileage and what quality of diesel you've been using.

You could also look into getting an op-com. It's a clone version of the tech 4 diagnostic the opel/vauxhall dealers use. They are available for cheap on eBay and amazon, will help checking the problem. You should be able to use it to activate things like the egr valve to see if it's actually working, and carry out particulate filter regeneration.

This is what you need. Found some on amazon for under £20 so I'd think you'd find them for a similar euro/dollar price. Just need a laptop to connect it to and you're good to go.