Tfw you fell for the credit meme

>tfw you fell for the credit meme

Tell us your story.

>friend of a friend introduces me to some guy who says he went to business school
>offers to invest in stocks for me 'just to test the waters'
>say ok, give him some money
>he triples it, do this a couple more times
>he eventually asks for my ssn and driver's license to 'synergize the capital gains'
>I don't know any better, give it to him
>2 days later I get a call about buying a house in California
>I live in fucking Indiana
>credit is now in the negative
>this was yesterday
And that's how I learned about identity theft.

I maxed out a few cards i had years ago to the tune of about $11k, i bought a car and new clothes took girls out to eat etc. When the bills came i just threw them in the trash. My credit stayed fucked for 7 years then i got a secured card and started building it back now my score is in the 900s and i don't even have a job.

Dude that's not "falling for the credit meme" that's identity theft

But if I didn't have a credit card he wouldn't have been able to steal my credit... I don't know I just don't know what to do

Dispute legit everything you can, you can probably get out of this clean your credit will just be fucked for the time being until it gets reversed

>>he eventually asks for my ssn and driver's license to 'synergize the capital gains'
LMAO

I would laugh user, but i know it sucks. Notbing to do but consider it a lesson and try to find this cunt.

The biggest mistake u made was paying someone else do the work.

Rule number 1 about money is that the more control you have the better.

By giving him your money even if he made you 10 million u fucked up. By letting him do it u learn nothing. Most of all how to protect it from the scum leeches such as that cunt that stole your money.

>score is in the 900s
>and i don't even have a job
>maxed out cards, didn't pay them off, yet got above perfect scores 7 years later

>t. son of Nintendo employee

Did he really "triple" it or he just told you he did?

>he eventually asks for my ssn and driver's license to 'synergize the capital gains'

Oh dear me

>synergize the capital gains
This has to be a troll post lmao. No one is that fucking stupid kek.

Nope.

After 7 years all debts are forgiven as per schmita.

years ago a bank took my last few hundred dollars as a cascading series of fees on top of fees on top of fees even though I deposited my check before spending the money so I didnt pay off my negative balance and they sold the debt off to collectors and it ballooned to many more hundreds of dollars but I ignored it.
Starting around five years ago I've gotten a secured credit card and secured loan and been paying them and my student loan on time every month. My credit score rose to upper 700s, things where going well until I made my final (and early) payment to my student loan then my credit score tumbled down to 600.

Jesus. Are you seriously completely fucking retarded? This can't be real.

imma have to call bullshit on this

>300% profit
>investing in stocks

I was a shit bag in my early 20's. Now I'm 30, trying to find out how much I owe and to whom, I know it's been bounced round a few debit collectors. Anyway is there a way to find who owns my debit now? also will they take payments? someone one told me once debt goes to collections, they just want one lump payment.

Don't Pay it, Let the Debt Expire
if you pay it, the won't even update the debt as paid off and sell you to another debter
This guy explains it
>inb4 ">/v/"

i don't get it op?
someone bought a home under your name?
then you tell the bank to take the house as mortgage and leave you alone.

He didn't steal your credit you mongoloid, you gave him a SSN to attach to a mortgage

>you gave him a SSN to attach to a mortgage
and so long you don't sign anything how exactly this could have been used? your id numbers are worthless they are not exactly secret.

Dumbass, you having a credit card is not how he was able to do this. Having your SSN was. People never seem to understand how most identity theft works. There's usually two ways it occurs.

1. An individual gains unauthorized access to your accounts and makes purchases pretending to be you. This can be done by hackers, someone who stole your wallet, someone with one of those card readers, etc.

OR

2. An individual, pretending to be you, opens up new lines of credit in your name in order to take advantage of your credit history. This is what it sounds like this guy did. He didn't need your credit card, just your name, SSN, and some other basic identifying information which honestly can be faked, especially if you get your loans from a small bank or CU without the fraud prevention infrastructure in place. It's pretty rare for someone to do this to open up a mortgage but it does happen. Generally they will do this with revolving credit and auto loans. A mortgage is tricky because once the banks and law enforcement do catch up to you, you can't just roll away in a house.

Here's what you need to do.

1. Contact local law enforcement and fill out a police report. Ask for a copy of this report so that you can show it to lenders. The officers you talk to will probably know what to do as well and should be able to help.

2. Contact all three major credit bureaus. That is Equifax, Experian, and Transunion. Inform them of what happened and they will probably tell you that you need to send some forms and a copy of that police report to them. Also make sure you get copies of your Credit Report from all three agencies so you can assess the damage and see how many unauthorized accounts have been opened.

3. When you do find unauthorized lines of credit, you will need to contact the actual lenders these accounts were opened with. They will tell you the steps you need to take. You will need to send copies of that police report and probably fill out some more forms.

Continued..

I work for an auto lender in a fraud prevention/investigation department and I used to process a lot of ID theft requests.

I cannot stress to you the importance of sending the documents asked for by the lenders and credit bureaus. The police report is also crucial. If you do not send the required documents they likely will not stop reporting on these trade lines. Most requests we get from customers claiming ID theft are really just people who didn't pay their bills and are trying to erase derogatory credit. This is why we need all of these documents sent in before we can investigate and erase the trade line if ID theft occurred.

yeah, it's not like you are helpless when someone steels your identity... only if you do nothing about it they can get away with it. wtf.

Yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass to deal with but when your Identity is stolen you really don't have a choice.

>$500 debt to a bank in overdraft fees from when I was 17
>Think it has been long enough they they'll write it off so I contest it with chexsystems
>Nope. Still active. Statute of limitations extended.
>Still can't pay this shit
I'm paraplegic idk how to pay them $100/m when I only end up with $50 in general purpose month every month from welfare.

what the fuck

if you're literally 100% disabled you can remove a lot of old debt in court. of course I guess getting a lawyer would be tough too

>'synergize the captial gains'

How would I go about doing that? The government gives me disability income if that counts as "literally 100% disabled."

One of my cards as a really low limit- like $200. I know low utilization is important- but since my limit is so low anyways, should I spend closer to my limit to show that I can at least pay off higher amounts?

I had been using like