Practical Improvements

What would you change or improve on with your car or cars in general?

For years, I've thought a brake pedal sensor that would display how hard you're braking via tail lights, like pic related, would be a nice warning for the person behind.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x2uUFitNY5I
ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/Motorcycle-Lane-Splitting-and-Safety-2015.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's a mustang turn signal.
Your idea would just encourage tailgating.

I realize that, only there to illustrate my opinion.

A way to tell if a car is breaking if you are in front of the car

Good idea fampai

they have these in yurop already, they're called emergency stop signals

youtube.com/watch?v=x2uUFitNY5I

small red led or something in the fog lights if applicable

but for what purpose?

No automatic transmissions ever

I've noticed on some vehicles that have a brake light above the rear windshield or in it that sometimes that brake light won't trip until the person goes past a spot on their brake pedal i.e braking slowly then hard for whatever reason.

>what is "watching your rear view mirror?"
I do this religiously at stop lights since every accident I've been in has been rear-ended at a stop by some dumb cunt checking her phone.

oh i get it know i thought like if you were looking in the rear view.

Newer BMWs have this in the form of brighter tail lights

Electric coolant pump so I don't have to idle so much in winter.

not sure how that would warm your engine faster...

Perfect example. Either metered lights or strobing ones like your video would be a great addition to all cars.

Just get a block heater, user.

My BMW from 2006 does this already, under hard braking an additional section of the tail light lights up.

Removal of airbag systems and crumple zones, so Natural Selection can resume.

Pretty glad I'm not the only one who's thought of this

Lexan car windows with a replaceable, scratch-resistant laminate instead of glass.

>Windscreen sandblasted
Remove laminate and replace
>High speed collision
No broken glass

Thinking Lexan could break into large shards, bend and potentially impale an occupant..

Just get a radiator bypass, user.

what.

We have those for motorcycles in the aftermarket.

Idiot cagers still don't know what to make of it.

Wow, that's a great idea.

I think Lexan would be worse than laminated glass

I think Volvo showed off this idea a few years ago and they said the planned to introduce it before 2020

That's because lane splitting children on toys pose enough of a hazard to themselves and others already.

One touch down operation for all windows (at least both front) on all cars w/ electric windows.

Stupid but whats the point of just the driver's side? You're still holding down the switch for the passenger side thus its effectiveness is nill.

It's literally just turning the hazard lights on.

l think only flashing brake lights would work because if the red just changes shape no one else but the owner will know something is different.

l sometimes pump the brakes a little if l need to make an unexpected slow down. l like the flashing reds idea

More room for me knees. Just make bigger indents in the dashboard.

Lexan is absolutely worse than glass apart from weight.

The thermostat already bypasses the radiator

Here's something to sate your autism, sperglord.
ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/Motorcycle-Lane-Splitting-and-Safety-2015.pdf

tl;dr filtering is safer for everyone

This is a thing in every newer vehicle. Most are the two front auto down and some times up. Anything worth some cash usually has all 4 auto up and down.

An approval or light notification horn that doesn't aggravate people.

Glad to see you're incapable of reading the thread. Plenty of cars have them.
Have you ever considered that a bike stops much more quickly than a car, so when you brake hard in front of them they will end up on your ass not because they couldn't read your taillights, but because they have a longer stopping distance?

More suicide doors on coupes please

>Weaving through traffic at 120mph is the same thing as idling through stopped cars
This is what squids actually believe

>look at my straw man, Veeky Forums
No one ever said anything about people "weaving through traffic at 120mph."

They are objectively better. The world doesn't revolve around your subjective 'muh feels' feelings.

Get used to it, faggot.

That would just be confusing and begging for someone to rear end you.

>OFFICER I THOUGHT I COULD GO FAST, ONLY ONE OF HIS LIGHTS WAS ON! :(((

Wow this thread fell apart.

I'd consider building cars with less aggressive headlights and sharp angles, and switching over to having those be options instead of entire models. For instance you want a Corolla that looks like a family sedan, that's the base model. The LE and S would have easy to apply aero kits and GRRRRR ANGRY hoods and bumpers.

Making the turn signals their own color instead of having the red brake lights flash
Why in gods name is that okay it enrages me so much

>bikes stop faster than cars
Maybe if you compare a sport bike to a model T going 100mph

Oil pan heater.

Murrika problems.

Please describe in detail how an automatic transmission is objectively better than anything else.

Drag races. They have better resistance to gear shock due to more mesh of the gears.

Yep, any Serious drag racer will always have an Auto. Just can't out-shift one, and when hundredths of seconds count...

A mini microwave would be perfect for long trips and you have some leftover food to go, but you're hungry and the leftovers are already cold but you don't want cold food, you want warm food and you don't want to buy nee food because you still have plenty of left overs.

>serious drag racer

lmao desu senpai

this will be the next big thing, screencap this

Ate like a King while I drove OTR with this lil 12V oven... $30 at truckstops. Line it with tinfoil and get creative.

>cvt and automated dry clutch gearboxes are better because hydrokinetic torque converters in ancient autos.

Big LED matrix on the back of your car where you can type messages with a keyboard on the wheel.

>F U C K Y O U

streams across the LEDs to the people behind you if they're faggots

>T H A N K Y O U

To someone who just let you in

Another idea is massive club strobing lights, the same ones that killed princess diana in the tunnel after the intelligence agencies were butthurt she was dating a muslim.

My car's mirrors automatically move downwards when I put it in reverse to show me the bottom of the car to make sure i don't scrap anything, I like it and I think its only available in large cars

scrape*

>Making the turn signals their own color

I'm pretty sure the rest of the world has thought that having the brake and indicators the same colour was as stupid idea half a second after it became US law. Seriously Mericuh, stop this.

My 1999 BMW e46 has that feature.

I can't stand it. Maserati Coupes/Spiders have them and they are pretty small

My wife's 2012 w212 doesnt, which is weird since my shitty yukon has it

A lot of BMW's have that but the funny thing is, in this day and age where almost every rental car has a back up camera, a lot of midrange and expensive BMW's do not. Virtually every other manufacturer has standard backup cams but I can't think of any BMW that does. I valet, so I see a lot of different vehicles.

My 2000 CLK 430 and my 2007 BMW 335I both had that feature.

You misspelled braking and I didn't realize it was unintentional until after i read your post. I immediately read it is a device that shows if the shitbox in front of you is falling apart and you need to get away from it, and I Kek'd heartily.

Freedom reporting in; we have yellow turn signals on 99% of cars.

I like the strobelights idea, but did you try googling 'LED car sign'? They real and they use your specific examples.

Actually my mustang tail lights work like that while braking to

Electric powered semi's with 3 or 4 speed transmissions instead of a diesel with a 25 speed or however many gears they have.

There would be a fairly large bank of batteries continuously being charged by a diesel generator, or capable of being charged with a plug of some sort.

Either that or some sort of automated trans for a semi. Shifting gears that much is redonkulous.

It would be really cool if we had some sort of device to let people know you're turning it changing lanes...

window washer jet above my rear licence plate that shoots baby oil onto the windscreen of tailgaters

So people won't use them like the blinkers we already have?

fuck off considerate scum
i bet you value your life too, don't you?

actually most cars already have these. people just forget to replace their blinker fluid so the things don't work right. also i'm pretty sure bmw hasn't figured out how to install them too, so there's that

Centre brake light flashes really bright at 4-5 hz under hard braking during emergency stops

only good idea ITT

>be driving behind rich asian foreign exchange student in college town
>he's driving audi in pic
>every time he stops, the center light flashes.
>doesn't even look like he's braking hard
>now his brake lights are on while he's driving down the road

Two-foot drivers, man. His brakes have got to be toast by now.

> My car
Shotguns mounted on the front, for dispersing pedestrians. And a pair on the back for reducing headlight glare at night, by removing headlights.

> Other people's cars
Enforced lighting laws. Fine people for illegally bright lights, foglights on when unneeded, etc.

Remove safety features like airbags, side impact protection, crumple zones, etc. Make cars less safe so people will drive better.

A phone cradle out of reach of the driver. If the car detects a phone in the car not in the cradle, the engine stops.

The problem with most cars is the drivers.

>all of this is implemented
>motor vehicl deaths skyrocket

So if I want to run to the grocery store and leave my phone at home I can't drive because my phones not in the cars cradle?

I think he means having the coolant pump not engage until the engine is warmed up some, instead of it pumping all the time, cooling it while you're trying to warm it up.

BMW driver here, the reason most bmw drivers don't use their turn signals is because when our blinker fluid runs out, we can't use conventinal or synthetic blinker fluids, we need to buy BMW High Performance Long Lasting Synthetic Blinker Fluid from dealerships and it's $80 a quart.

Also, if we use conventional or normal synthetic blinker fluid, it can damage the blinkers.

>tfw I was once told not to put normal water in a BMW's windshield washer reservoir
>but instead use BMW brand BMW additives
wew lad

DONT FORGET TO BUY SOME B M W ADBLUE!

>A phone cradle out of reach of the driver. If the car detects a phone in the car not in the cradle, the engine stops.

Or maybe a localized jamming signal performed By the car itself when in gear.

>what are passengers

i had that idea back in 1993, tried to incorp it into a third taillight system, couldnt get a patent. it died.

EJECTOR SEATS

I never said that.

I am in freedomland,
But its not as common as you're saying
If anything its about fifty fifty

Only if it detects a phone in the car. Read the post again.

Overpopulation problem solved. Unemployment problem solved by new job openings everywhere.

They have to put their phones away as well. Phones in cars are distractions.

Remotely triggered by a majority vote from nearby drivers. If you're driving like an asshole, out the roof you go.

You need a computer chair that'll eject you out of your house when you post terrible ideas

B T F O

I'm fine with the strobing reds, but the hazard lights would just confuse the shit out of the average driver and they'd try to cut around you thinking your car is disabled.

If someone allows me to pass one a one-lane highway, I usually flash my hazards twice as a "Thank You!" after I pass them completely.

>12V oven
>300F max

Neat, I could totally make a stew or pulled pork with this.

Wouldn't be great, as I'd have no way to sear things, but it could certainly work in a pinch.

Approval light? How much of a fucking loser do you have to be to want the approval of some nobody on the road?

Audi already does this in other countries. Also, brands include automatic flashing break lights/hazards under extreme breaking in their cars in basically every other country but the US.

There are a lot of "factory options" that I think could be quite popular here in Norway

>plastic underbody shielding
Large, molded plastic covers that would cover as much as possible of the underside & wheelarches of the car to protect from road salt, gravel and such
>lights
Headlights in general are way too weak to be actually comfortable to drive with here during the winter due to it being completely dark for most of the day, long winters with ice roads and moose crossing the roads

What do you mean, a pump that circulates and heats the water of your engine, heating both itself and the engine in the process?
That exists and is very popular in the coldert parts of the world. I have one in my Merc and its fucking golden. -25c outside, get inside the car and the engine & water is a good 30-35c warm