H Patterns

We hit the image limit

H Patterns continued

How does your car ACTUALLY shift?

My '82 camaro. 1-2 and 3-4 are incredibly close while reverse is super far. Either R doesn't have a synchro or it's fucked cause she grinds SOMEtimes

First

p sure that reverse doesn't have a synchro on most manuals but I could just be retarded

I don't think it's common for reverse to have synchros

How are you grinding on reverse? Are you shifting while still moving or something? I don't think you should ever really shift into 1 or R if your car is in motion

She'll grind from a full stop. No idea why. Sometimes trying to get it into reverse, I can pull the stick back and it won't go in fully unless I lift the clutch a hair, and when this happens it doesn't grind. I dunno.

This is a question for somebody who knows more than me, then

Try shifting into a forward gear first. Works 97% of the time with my T5 tranny

This.

T5s don't have a synced reverse. This.

1st , 2nd and reverse are a cunt , gear linkage is worn. 1st gear will crawl me along at 3mph and 2nd isnt much better but the car would happily idle through a brick wall in these gears.

If when it happens, and I try lifting the clutch, and THAT doesn't work, that's what I end up doing. I know I need new linkage and a new clutch so that's probably a part of the problem.

Reminds me of the granny gear in my 82 F-150. Granny gear + 300 inline = unstoppable

T-56

Give the throttle a blip when shifting into reverse.
I have a Tacoma that HATES going into reverse at Idle RPMs. I just tap the throttle and it glides right in. Same with first, but I fucked the synchro on it by doing a 2-1 at 45MPH

F-body?
Viper?

My gearbox has never wanted to go into reverse, others with the same car seem to have the same frustration I hear.

>Try backing out of parking space
>nope, teeth aren't aligned.
>give it a little spin with clutch
>nope, no go again
>repeat 3 times, waiting ~3 seconds every try
>Hey, finally in!
>begin reversing
>pops out
>kkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkrrrr
>ram it and go again.

Just jam it in

eff body

Doesn't work. On the rare chance just ramming it works, it'll just pop out.

see this
Blip the throttle with the clutch all the way in.

>1
As long as you are STOPPED when you blip and shift into reverse you'll never grind. There is usually a sweet spot as the revs climb or drop where it will slide right in.

>2
If that doesn't work, shift into FIRST while stopped then try reverse.

>3
Then try a combination of both, but slipping the clutch while shifting is just a waste/last ditch.

>4
If you have exhausted everything to that point you should look at your shift linkage, the trans/motor mounts. Clutch hydros/cyls/cables because something worse is happening. Sometimes shifting can be difficult if the Master/slave is fucked, because you may be slipping/partially engaged.

TFW gearbox is better than you

E90 BMW 328i

Super t10s don't have reverse synchros. With the car stopped put the trans in any other gear, then reverse, and it won't grind.

My toploader has a very similar pattern

>good luck????????

my sides

This was how it was on an aging 206 that was sold off a while ago.

Sheeit I have an 80 F150 with a four on the floor

Two 3rd gears?

'96 S10. Smooth overall.

I really enjoy how, at least on mine, it feels like shifting in a goddamn semi. Really gotta muscle that stick into the gears. Never had grinding though, not even a little, and she's got well over half a million miles under her belt. Fucking bulletproof truck and drivetrain.

2002 Mustang GT. Shifts nice and smooth. Lots of power. But can feel pretty retarded sometimes.

Holy shit what I fail, replied to the wrong post.
I think it's time for bed.

No, it would still go in second.
And I thought I got it right.

Same for me, 1st was unusable unless I had a heavy load. Too much torque

Just sounds like a regular Muncie. Reverse isn't synchronized.

I believe mine is a Saginaw, is there anyway to tell for sure?

OP here

Got a question for you lads. If I drive my Camaro hard, shifting at near redline, each gear's max speeds are like 1st-20mph 2nd-35mph 3rd-55mph 4th-95mph. Does that sound normal for the 82 4 speed? I figure one of the previous owners did something to the gearing/rear end, it seems awfully short geared to me, with a super long 4th, which I'm assuming was supposed to be some sort of overdrive. Also sits at like 4k rpm at 65~70 which makes me feel sorry for the engine, being it's a 350 swap. Gets kind of annoying shifting 3 times to sit at a reasonable rpm at 30mph in towns. Sometimes I skip second and just do 1-3-4 to avoid a seemingly unnecessary shift.

R154 with short throw

You actually need to put in effort to get each gear in, have to come to a complete stop for it to want to go into first as you slow down or give the engine a rev while in neutral then it will go in.

5th gear is a pain in the ass, need like 15 pounds of force to get it in.

Reverse grinds if the shaft is still spinning.