Rimworld General

We don't have an OP pastebin yet so here's some shit

rimworldgame.com/

RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

FAQ: ludeon.com/blog/faq/
Wiki: rimworldwiki.com/
Mods: ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=12.0 (also check steam workshop)

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/6xL54hVW
rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Cover#Rubble
github.com/RimWorldCCLTeam/CommunityCoreLibrary/releases/latest
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16120.0
github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/tag/v0.14.0.4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If an enemy is climbing over sandbags, like if you have a 9x20 hallway filled with sandbags in every time, do they recieve cover from the sandbags?

pastebin.com/6xL54hVW

Can anyone tell me how bad of a hit to my group a sudden switch to cannibalism would be? I'm running out of room to stuff corpses and I could use the food.

I think to some level yes

still worth it to slow down melee attackers

Yes.
Do what this user did and use chunk dump sites to slow them down

>pastebin.com/6xL54hVW
sorry I didn't get it man; we were already on page 10 so I rushed this OP

Np, just did it in five minutes a few days ago, nice to see it finaly noticed

rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Cover#Rubble
According to this, rubble also gives cover.

Not enough mixed colored lamps / 10

Just make a little orange, purple or cyan man

welp, took too long making a new thread. here be some mod suggestions -

Suggested mods that make the game comfier, do not influence gameplay balance and work on latest alpha 14:
github.com/RimWorldCCLTeam/CommunityCoreLibrary/releases/latest - library, required by most mods, to be loaded second after core.
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0 - Miscellaneous 'CORE' for control groups and sending units to preset positions (requires new game).
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0 - Mine Vein - designate entire ore vein for mining with one click.
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16120.0 - Colony manager - automatically designate animals of choice to be hunted when low enough on meat, trees to be cut down when low on wood and etc (requires new game). Animal Tab, Work Tab, Medical Info all Greatly improve the interface.

>day 8
>have just gotten a wanderer
>no chance to make any money yet
>this trader comes by
WHY
WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME GAME

Currently thinking about buying this game. So what do you actually do all day long in this game? Do you build non stop? Try to get the skills of your characters as high as possible? Do you wait brainafk till the next trader arrives and gives you unaccessable shit?
I'm into this kind of game. Recently started to play Gnomoria again but burnt out because to me it's just waiting for the skills of your soldiers to go up

Go read the Dorf Fort general for a few minutes. Now take all the hard work and planning out of the equation. There you have it.

Just bought this game, whats a good seed to try out? also any tips

Micro your base needs. It's a constant struggle. Counter events that might decimate you. Defend against raiders. Try to sell your goods. Try to cure diseases. Try to get bionics to replace shattered limbs and cut off arms. Try to keep everyone happy. Try to make a master in every craft. Try to streamline base to be more efficient. Try to make the base look comfy.

why not just steal it from them?

I stole a minigun from a trader by beating him senseless and then nursing him back to health

It's a constant struggle to stay alife, the game constantly throws enemies and various disasters at you, and your colonists have various needs that need to be fulfilled

Jesus Christ my entire base is built around cold winter but suddenly a heat wave comes in. I've built like a fucking million vents but it's not enough.

how the fuck does she even eat?

how the fuck does she even walk?

Gargamel.

Vents just spread heat from one place to another, if everywhere is hot, vents will do nothing.

You need coolers.

So basically since an user said that he'd like a save editor i've started development on one

Please excuse the currently very shitty interface, it's only temporary to make sure that the XML engine i've written actually works

Give me a day or two and I can get it in a releasable state, but if someone wants me to put it up somewhere like on Github just ask

hey guys wasn't there a mod that was called "defend that colony!" wich added barbed wire, harder sandbags, walls with holes to shoot trough and some water to slow down a lot the raiders?
the same, wasn't there some mod that added a lot of fruits and veggies into the game including a healing plant and some plants?

outnumbered 2:1 before muffalos
they're better equipped too

why would you write an xml engine
are you stupid

>engine
i meant parser, fuck i'm tired
parser in the sense that it filters out the xml tags that i want and replaces them when editing
i'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel the best i can

pretty much every xml parser i know already does that or has some kind of support for xpath or even xquery

Jesus fuck

first ever game, this seems like a good start, how should i defend this area?

my original concern was using something like that would require multiple passes over the xml document to find the node that i want, and that can start to get real slow when you want to index over 300 pawns in a 20mb file

i've instead opted to use a form of LINQ to XML, but loading nodes via a one-way reader so i don't have to do multiple passes and i can break up the code so it's all very clean

>LINQ to XML
that's just as good as xpath/xquery (prob better), but you aren't actually writing a parser. you're just passing declarative statements to the parser.

>tfw

nvm I did it
4 bruises and the dog lost its tail for two charge rifles and a golden spear worth 21k as well as two ace prisoners not to mention a ton of other good things

I understand now why raiders raid.

>LMG x3
>Yorkieskin cowboy hat x58

>YORKIESKIN COWBOY HAT X58(FIFTY EIGHT)

I'd use the moist ground as a farm and then build from there with the geyser walled off in the middle

>58 dogskin cowboy hats
For what fucking purpose

now I dont have any non-tribals to trade with though

on the other hand its nice that I'm not gonna be getting tribal raids

sorry that I can't communicate what i'm doing very well, i haven't done very much in xml work and my inexperience is showing
wew

Has a sufficient amount of stuff been added to RW to validate purchase?

I played it just over a year ago and it was p-tight, but nothing worth spending dosh on; not more than like $10 or $15.

>blue lines are walls you should put to make the mountains strongers and evade getting mined by enemy zappers.
>the red line will stand for your killing ground, you may want to add rubble there to slow down invading forces tough.
>gray squares are where you should put your turrets these are optionals tough
oragen are where you should place traps, because siege ai tend to hug the wall for some reason.
>yellow stand for the sandbags and where you should put them for the best defense, this is a basic layout tough.
>the top square is where you should build solar panels and other energy things, better to keep them away from your colony.
>purple is where you should build beds and workshops
t>he black is where you should mine first to create space for other stuff once you begin growing
>green is where you should place all your growing zones to be close to the colonist and away from solar panels, stay away from the white area tough, that's going to be a hole in your defense.
if this is really your first game then follow my suggestions and see for yourself if that works.
remember choke points are the bes.

Woops! forgot to add, you should put another wall on the top of red to protect any building from bullets and evade brawlers from going other places.

that's the spirit

I just nabbed a couple of grenades and an incendiary launcher by juking them and making them split up, my war pigs ran circles around them to draw their fire while 3 fired at them and the melees that I kept hidden around a corner took care of the second group. Chased them and beat them to the ground with only 1 war pig losing his eye from a knife.

It's a pity that you can't raid other compounds

aw fuck I just realized I've made my colony wealth skyrocket

Is there a mod for A14 that adds the beauty value to flooring in the fucking UI?

Yes, it's called look in the fucking bottom right you cockgobbling tree of faggots.

thanks user i'll do this and see how long i can survive

hahahaaaaa

i admit tough, i made the colony squares way too small.
still, see that place with the tiny rock walls behind the sandbags and turrets and next to a geyser? build mortars there.

RIP you

just build more turrets.

this is very very early in the game
right now I dont even have a fridge

>map has no more steel

how am i supposed to enjoy this m8s?

Saw another user using Prepare Carefully mod, but I installed it off the nexus and doesn't seem to work. (out of date)

what wizardry do I need to get this mod working?

Well, for one, you delete Nexus you fucking baby.

Then you go to the forums, read the fucking thread, and learn how to install it properly.

smelt weapons / slag chunks from pods.

trade, most caravans and ships carry steel.

or use mods - i use vegetable garden which comes with steel / plasteel plants. the steel one is balanced, plasteel however is way too easy. there are also some mods that add a quarry.

Make sure you download this
github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/tag/v0.14.0.4

>110% flammability
>118 flame mortars

This is my first actual playthrough, still on v13 due to having gradually adapted lots of QoL mods. From a "roguelite gameplay" standpoint it may be "cheating" being able to craft proper medpacks and repair gear, but fuck if i am able to build a fucking spaceship i sure as hell am able to make a basic medkit.
Things i will consider for the next gameplay though is: choosing a larger map, possibly with mountain because running dry on metal is no fun. Also building the base near a corner of the map to make it easier to defend.

just got our first wanderer, jesus christ why is everyone women

>just tried mountain bases
Holy shit these are the worst

In the time it takes you to mine out a room, clear it of rubble and chunks you could have build 10 rooms normally outside.

is it worth it?

>skill still deteriorates after level 20

kill me now

In other news, pirates now have access to A14d.

daily reminder caskets cannot be moved

This is easily the fastest growing colony I've ever had.

>tfw panic attack watching their points drop by 10 a second in fast forward.

do scars eventually stop giving you pain?

why does my steam generator say on the wire only 10 w is going through? do i need to reinstall the generator?

If you lop it off and replace it with a new one.

there's a mod that hasn't updated for removing scars
I was a bit disappointed it doesn't require you to use human leather though

how do i reaarange my character tabs?

>Do you build non stop? Try to get the skills of your characters as high as possible? Do you wait brainafk till the next trader arrives and gives you unaccessable shit?

yes to all of these.

None of his mods seem to have been updated, which is why i'm still playing on a13. Haven't gotten around to build the dermal regenerator yet though, it's big and needs a lot of ressources that are scarce on this savegame.

>tfw playing on phoebe and just treating the game as comfy The Sims with combat and minecrafting.

>do my base for me

are you the same kind of chucklefuck that needs guides on how to watch television shows?

whats it like playing as tribals?

If I ignore them, maybe they'll go away.

is there a way to set a timer on a lightswitch so my people go and flick it on and off at the same time every day?

Does the game have levels/different floors?

And there's a second one

user just build whatever you feel is right
killing grounds get boring pretty fast, I find it much more fun spreading defense through your base and rely on urban warfare instead

no

>Kill a bunch of squirrels.
>Turns out they belong to traders nearby.
>Now bitter enemies.

Well.

Okay, I guess.

>"A group of friendlies from Outsider's Cliff have come to your aid"

Props to the guy who charged in with a shiv

Can you somehow treat pernament brain injuries?

My literally best settler got shot ONCE by PDW and now she's crippled to the point where most stuff requiring moving and interaction is reduced by 50%.

the nose knows

Is this what constitutes as "getting zergrushed"?

oy vey!

friendly reminder to haul all your shit indoors IMMEDIATELY on the lone survivor scenario

just had two fuckers with shivs run off with my glitterworld meds because i didn't know they stole now

The Nose will live to fight another day. Not Gizmo though. Gizmo is fucked. Do I get better relations for patching these guys up?

if you rescue them and they leave the map healthy, it's 15 points per person (or at least the last time i saved someone, which was A13)

>decide to try and play ice sheet, since its new Ill go with "basebuilder"
>embark
>take over a nearby house for warmth, get a greenhouse going
>one person is constantly in a terrible mood
>goes berserk, gets up, goes berserk, gets up
>shot the person and hoped theyd die, they didnt
>get a new person while low on food because its taking the potatoes six years to grow, they come with 3 meals so its fine by me
>murder the dog and some polar bears, butcher and cook
>more berserk
>burning through medicine because this one fucker is constantly miserable for no reason than because its cold outside and theyre in a room with other people and theres no table
>getting towards the end of my slog, the greenhouse will soon produce praise the sun
>solar flare
muh story my ass this is just horseshit

Any mods to disable raid notifications? I don't like the idea of recently crashed survivors or tribals immediately knowing when raiders enter the map, at least without a comms system or something

I have a research option called brain surgery. It might be part of the mod extended organs and prosthetics though.

p..please respond

It's just flavoring

the only unique technology is pemmican, but even spacers can research it which means your only advantage is high numbers early game, which is shit anyways if you don't reroll good stuff for all of your tribals which can take like an hour

it's fun though, just do it

>wander joins the colony
>can't grow, do skilled labor, or haul

Don't settle on small maps m8.