Is there a reason why there are no utes in the US?

Is there a reason why there are no utes in the US?

Pic related. There is a couple of these in colorado

CAFE.

Because Pontiac died before they could bring the Commodore utes/wagons, Ford isn't gonna bring any Australian cars to the US, and GM is putting all their eggs in the Camaro and Corvette baskets to even bother promoting the SS. Making or converting a new platform to a ute just isn't gonna be cost effective.

>you will never own a modern el camino
Life is suffering

how did they manage the import laws?

>I will never own a G8 ute
kill me

its a converted g8
there is a shop in Colorado that makes them
they are fucking expensive though

I mean we did make UTEs at one time and they were popular
see Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero
but the end of the muscle car and downsizing of the 80s pretty much killed them
see Dodge Rampage and Subaru Brat

Shit, I'd kill for a Rampage in the EU. Would drop a Turbo II and 5 speed stick in there.

Is ADM the next big trend???

I heard it was because the main thing American car manufacturers sell are work trucks, and it's easier/cheaper to make a sporty version of those and sell to the few guys who want a lowered truck, instead of making a dedicated platform and having sales taken away from their popular trucks.

Didn't want them to compete with the S10 and upcoming Colorado.

I fucking want a Ute so bad. There's no reason why they shouldn't be here.

Rebadging/converting GTO's, G8's, and SS's is pretty common. Australia can keep their wog blades though.

>Because it can't support the fat fucks on their daily commute to McDonald's.

The big 3 would rather sell you a pickup, because it makes them more profit.

Also, the Subaru Baja didn't sell too well.

All of the Trump voters have one already.

Subaru Baja

Because pickup trucks.

>Baja
>let's hack the roof behing the c pillar on an Outback
Genius.

Here in Australia we can get utes with 400kw supercharged V8s

This. In usage they have to compete with pickup trucks, but they have to adhere to passenger car standards for crash safety and emissions, making them comparatively expensive to build and buy and turning them into novelty/lifestyle vehicles for which the market isn't large enough.

is this a 1963 chicken tax related thing?

and they keep getting better and better every year. I can't wait to see what the 2018 looks like.

No. El Caminos and Rancheros (Cowboy Cadillacs) have been around the US for over 60 years. They just quit making them in the 80s because everybody wanted to sit up higher, pickups are cheaper / more durable, and really there was no point. The Dodge Rampage didn't sell well in the 80s, and the Subaru Baja didn't sell well in the 2000s. The fact is market for these in the US is really small.

"Men buy trucks". etc.

>colorado
>subaru right behind it

If we ever do get them again their going to be a car based FWD abomination. The lack of 4x4 would be a major issue for a lot of people in North America.

to clarify for those of you not in the know
CAFE sets limits on minimum fuel economy per square foot of wheelbase
larger footprint wheelbases have less restrictive fuel economy requirements
the requirements are agreed upon between the US gov. and manufacturers, and generally gets pushed back every few years
but things still get more restrictive every year and this is what killed off the ford ranger and made the f150 grow in size

Fuck you.
GM greedy cunts shutting down holden in 2017

Not sure if troll or just stupid?

I think the Baja sold so abysmal that it's probably a deterrent for anyone to try to sell a ute in the US. They wanted to sell 30k units a year, but they sold only 24k its entire lifetime.

I don't think there's really a strong market for them here.