Veeky Forums's opinion on lane splitting?

Veeky Forums's opinion on lane splitting?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/about/lane_splitting
a.pomf.cat/npdoun.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gud

Bad

good

good and bad

indifferent

very bad

No, bad

very good

bad

Very very bad

Good. You bought a smaller vehicle, who am I to tell you not to do that. As long as you're not doing a wheelie or flipping people off.

>tl;dr good. Just dont be a dick about it.

Good, as long as its reasonable.

Opens up more spaces for everyone not on two wheels, everyone on two wheels doesn't need to play in risky stop-and-go highway traffic, everyone gets where they want to be faster. Win-win all around.

Now, that doesn't mean the guys who go 30+ between stationary cars and pinball between mirrors until they drop the bike aren't fucking retards who mess everything up for everyone, they absolutely are, it just means people who aren't complete fuckwads can use it to only benefit everyone else on the road.

I think it looks kinda douchey 2bh

Its not too bad when traffic is completely stop or at a crawl pace, but I think doing at speed is dangerous

Good bits:
>prevents motorcyclists being smashed to pancakes at the end of a queue
>frees space in traffic jams
>motorcyclists get to their destination faster

Bad bits:
>shitty riders may damage cars

All in all I think it's a good thing and in places where legal it works fairly well despite what scared and/or jealous car drivers may say.

Don't mind. I even move over a little to be courteous.

I'd prefer it here in Texas but it'll never happen. I've never even ridden a bike but I could see the benefits of it.

I want it to be legal here, even though it looks terrifying even when the cars are at a complete standstill.

Do it when traffic is clogged, but not when it's moving freely.

>mfw I drive my car onto the shoulder anyway
skcuc

stupid

let me just squeeze between two 4 thousand pound objects with drivers of questionable sanity and intellect and trust that none of them are going to do something irrational.

It's dangerous when one vehicle is at a significantly different speed to the flow of traffic

It makes we worry about turning right (drive on the left)

it makes me worry about my panels and my wing mirrors

I like it a lot.
But it should be done with a small speed difference (max 20km/h faster) and giving cars enough time to react.

peace sign to you bro.

We all have different understandings of what fun is. Some types of fun come with inherent risk. I lane split when its most dangerous (when line of cars are coming to stop) because historically i've had better luck dodging mergers who aren't looking than waiting for some dick in a truck to flatten me.

As long as they don't touch my vehicle I'm fine with it, also assuming being in stopped or slow traffic. Don't want someone passing me like this when I'm also passing someone at 75mph.

>assuming being in stopped or slow traffic.
Only idiots and retards split lanes at speed.

In heavy traffic I sometime see bikers doing it and I place my car towards the edge of the lane to allow them to get by easier.

The idea of it pisses me off but the practicality of them doing it in such traffic is fine because they already have the inconvenience of using a bike so they need some perks.

I should point out that I don't see them every day and they are very well mannered and patience before passing. I don't have to worry about someone flying between cars when I'm changing lanes.
Show some consideration and I show some back.

So you would rather sit still and helpless behind one as another squishes you from behind at 50+mph?

The fact is it puts the rider in control of their own safety and when done properly can be the safer option.

Also I should add that most drivers won't even see the motorcyclist splitting until he is already past them and then the drivers can't do anything. However when the motorcyclist is sitting still and the driver doesn't see him, the rider gets run the fuck over.

Very good when done properly.
Very dangerous when done stupidly.

When you're stopped or crawling, everyone expects bikes to come cruising through at 15 mph. When everyone is doing 50mph, only a stupid fucker blasts between cars at 70mph.

CHIPpies need to enforce this shit better.

>safer for motorcycles
>traffic reduction for cars.

GOOD, as long as you don't speed like a retard while doing it

Where I live people get mad if I don't.

I gues only americans have this cuck syndrome

The thing is it's hard to enforce anything about it because there's no specific laws about it. I don't think any laws will be made about it without taking it away all together.

Were I live there are pretty specific laws about it.

This. So long as you don't weave in and out of standstill traffic at highway speeds begging to suddenly have your life come to an end, lane splitting is fine. Legalize it yo.

Oh, I assumed you were California, and that CHIP was California Highway something Police

It makes sense in theory, but to work well it needs people to not be dumb fucks

also
>Other drivers get to their destination faster as well
Because motorcyclists don't slow down traffic as much this way.

Good point. I've never seen a government official write a law that grants freedom.

The other 49 have outlawed it because "it's not fair. Everyone should wait in line." Stupid fuckers!

If I'm in the car with my mom, she always bitches about bikers splitting lanes. I have no issue with it though. They are going to accelerate faster than the cars and speed off anyway. Just be safe about it.

Splitting lanes in moving traffic is a lil different than your pic though. I just don't want to kill somebody with my truck on I-95. I'd rather they pass on the shoulder or something, but when they are doing 90mph+ and traffic is going 60mph, that is dangerous.

It's one of the few things I miss about living in CA.

dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/about/lane_splitting

There used to be some specifics but it was changed to be more vague.

Legal in my country and if done sensibly, really helps traffic flow.

It's dangerous but as long as the rider is willing to take the responsibility of that risk, it's fine.

>I've never seen a government official write a law that grants freedom.
Part of Australia recently legalized lane sharing, and I think there was a US state that passed a bill through legislature but it got a veto from the governor.

>but when they are doing 90mph+ and traffic is going 60mph, that is dangerous.
Natural selection helps cure that problem.

>natural selection
That's why I'm hesitant to get a crotch rocket. At least driving the truck, I realize that I pose a danger to other people. On a bike, I'm pretty much just a danger to myself and give no fucks.

dangerous

but it's not.

If you don't already have bike experience I don't think a supersport is a good idea. If you want a bike, get one.

>but it's not.
It is though.

Every week at least 2 people try to flatten me while splitting lanes.

Then be careful about it. When splitting lanes responsibly, you should have adequate time to react to any cars doing stupid shit. Sitting still in traffic leaves you vulnerable to being rear ended.

If you think it's dangerous then why do you do it?

I'm being careful, but I can't really do much about some idiot moving left/right to were I am while I'm next to him.

Just because it's dangerous doesn't mean I'm not going to do it.

It can be dangerous, and you would be an idiot to think otherwise. Yes, you must be careful but it is a risk riders take (or choose not to).

Lane splitting and filtering at stops should be lawful, and encouraged everywhere.
Motorists should give right of way to bikes that are filtering by making space in their lane. This is something that is done without issues is dozens of places. Its safe, it makes sense, it even ensures that bikers don't contribute to traffic congestion.

Not every biker is a boyracer who wants to speed at 60mph through a sea of cars at a stop light. Most of us are just trying to get where we're going safely.

People who lane split are generally better drivers than the motorists they split, I'm always more concerned that some idiot is going to drift across the line and hit one.

Should be 100% legal everywhere when traffic is stopped or moving at a crawl, but there should be a speed limit on it so retards aren't zipping between cars at 90 mph. Should also not be legal when traffic is flowing at high speeds.

Statistics have proven that lanesplitting is beneficial in every aspect for all parties.

For bikers, it allows them to get to their destinations quicker and stay safer. While the amount of accidents might not go down, the injury sustained in a rear-ender are far more deadly than if a bike hits a side of a car.

Its better for car drivers as it reduces overall traffic and further incentives motorcycle riding which then further reduces traffic.

Literally any negative for lane splitting is better than if it wasn't legal. The issue in California is that since there is no laws for or against lanesplitting, there's no proper definition for what is safe splitting. The CHP had set some guidelines for what they believed to be safe (not going faster than 5mph rest of traffic, not splitting after 25mph, only splitting between two lanes, etc) but it was still up to the opinion of the officer to ticket riders for "unsafe riding." Recently they pulled these rules since people were treating them as if they were the "legal rules."

We need to legalize it and establish legal rules to define it.

Do it all day, everyday. Only way to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time here in car clogged Cali. Cops don't care because it's not illegal

Another califag here. I'm fine with it in principle, when it's done safely- only done below certain traffic speeds, and not too much faster than the adjacent cars. In practice, though, there are tons of squids who can't resist the temptation to blast through stopped or slow traffic at insane unsafe speeds.

Hard legal limits would be a nice improvement, but I think they'd be difficult to enforce even for motorcycle cops.

Shits great, user its legal here and i save around 40 minutes on my commute in peak traffic

I say it's good. However it's up to the discretion of the rider to do it safely, just like overtaking.

When the traffic is crawling along, say at speeds lower than 40km/h, I think it's fine for a bike to carefully ride between cars, passing them only at speeds ~10km/h faster than the car.
Same with stopped cars.

I think drivers need to be educated better as well. Things like keeping in the middle of a lane and actually using an indicator as it was designed, instead of moving over and turning it on at the same time.

It concerns me when I'm sitting in traffic, hearing a bike going by much faster than I am, with next to no warning

Pay more attention to your surroundings then.

idgaf

Roadways arent designed to handle 3 vehicles traveling in only 2 lanes. It's stupid and dangerous.

So you'd rather have Motorcycles taking up huge swaths of roadway slowing traffic?

It doesn't bother me. If I were a biker I'd do the same thing.

>if there were more motorcyclists then yes
it doesnt help anyone but the motorcyclist if hes the only motorcycle around. its like removing 1 car, literally does nothing

>there are generally more than 1 motorcyclists in cities
>if lane splitting were legal there would be more motorcyclists
>removing 1 car does do something
otherwise
>remove 1 car a thousand times
>traffic still just as bad

Legal in cali, if you are getting shown up by cali shame on you.

I don't do it, but I also ride a dual sport so I rarely see highways or roads over 45mph

Now post the pic of her in the hospital.

>.gif
You never have to go into town or anything and get to backed up traffic?

I live in the middle of fucking nowhere, I only go into town like once a week, and when I do I just take my 944

a.pomf.cat/npdoun.mp4

i have no issues with lane splitting.
But. the motorcyclist must be held at fault for any incident with a vehicle while doing so, because no normal person in stand still traffic is going to expect Jhonny fucko on his crotch rocket blazing down the white line when they open their door to grab something from the trunk, or go to change lanes when another motorist lets them in.
Lane splitting should be a "use at own risk" situation.

Lane filtering, provided it's done properly, is great for all motorists.

Motorcyclists aren't stuck at the back of the queue, waiting to get rear-ended and aren't taking up spaces that cars could utilise, easing congesstion.

>key words: done properly

Spltting lanes at 100mph is not doing it properly.

Motorists need to be educated on lane filtering and its benefits so they don't get into a tard rage when it does happen as well.

No.

It should be legal everywhere. So long as you are going between two lanes moving in the same direction, or a lane and a suicide/turn lane.

Not gonna if im high and in a bad mood I might try to fuck with you

subhuman fucks like this are why I just don't do it anymore

It never eases congestion. There isn't enough bikes on the road to accomplish that. The reason they allow it California is for both air cooled bikes and riders of all bikes because they don't have air conditioning like people in cars do.

haha fucking Albuquerque. I hope I see that fuck being scraped up with a spatula one day.

Thank you kind user.

I'm ok with it as long as they don't park in my blindspot or (at night) with their hi-beam pointed straight at my mirror.

Just as bad as passing parked cars on a bicycle with no reasonable distance to them. You need at least 1.5m space between you and any object to have a sensible amount of space to react. Since that isn't given at any point when doing lane splitting, it should be considered illegal.

People don't typically open their doors in traffic.
Though it can be a bit dangerous with people exiting taxis because they are not used to checking for anything before they exit as a passenger.
As long as lane splitting is only done at crawling speeds or below it is reasonably safe.

Hey now

It's asshole behavior. So nothing out of the ordinary for bikefucks.

Such dumb assholes, not wanting to die.
What's wrong with them?

>People don't typically open their doors in traffic.
Well, people don't typically rear end with more than 10 mph. Plus there's something that's called subjective safety which is far lower when sitting between two cars and in their blind spots.

Good.

It could literally clean out all of the retards on two wheels in the states within a year or two imo. Also, I could get places in my city in a timely manner.

Copies from another thread:

I gave a speech on that just this week, but focused mainly on the state level. Roads are the responsibility of state governments, so encourage your listeners to take action with your state legislature rather than US Congress.

Motorcyclists take up less space in traffic than cars, and even less space when they move between lanes rather than taking one to themselves. If the practice gets legalized then even more people will choose a motorcycle which will even further improve traffic flow.
Even cars will get through traffic faster if motorcyclists lane split.
That should help them understand it as a way to benefit themselves.

Lane splitting motorcyclists are significantly less likely to be rear ended: Rice, Thomas, Troszak, Lara and Erhardt, Taryn (2015). Motorcycle Lane-splitting and Safety in California. May 29, 2015, page 13.

A friend of friend died doing over 100mph while lane splitting coming up to a red light, saw orange/green speed up more. Some guy decided to quickly run thru the street and got grazed. Pillion 16 year old also died.
Thing is his friends and gf give death threats to anyone who even thinks that it might be the divers fault.

Meant to say drivers

...and ugly

its a good way to get kilt

It's good to get idiots off the road.

>Person opens their door because they're mad a motorcycle is passing them
>Motorcyclist damages their car and receives several expensive injuries to take care of as well as damage to their bike
>"wasn't my fault was getting something from my trunk which no one ever fucking does on the highway lol motorcyclists are always at fault"

Kill yourself.

Isn't this attempted murder in places where lane splitting is legal?

>Attempted murder while under the influence of drugs

Please do it so they can throw your fucking mongoloid ass in jail outside of civilized society.

>even more people will choose a motorcycle which will even further improve traffic flow.
LEL

what a shitty paper