Veeky Forumspinion on small pickups?

Veeky Forumspinion on small pickups?
Also which is better?
>American or foreign

Do you need power?
Do you need 4x4?
Do you do you need gas mileage?
Do you even need a truck at all?

I have a small 4x4 truck that I use only for hauling shit. Otherwise it sits there and does nothing.

Whatever you deem small, it's not small enough.

im thinking about becoming a guido i mean ricer

Can pickups drift?
Ive seen some modestly lowered ones around here with some fat street tires and they look great

Yeah. Takes a little different bit of set up

Chevy Colorado is goat

They're all good. Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, etc

I've had just about every small truck they've made in the past 20 years.

S10's with the 4.3 5speed combo is probably the best.

I meant 30+ years...fuck I feel old now :(

>S10's with the 4.3 5speed combo is probably the best
The fuck?
That's most likely one of the worst there is.
I owned one. It was terrible under 100k miles and everything broke all the time

Tacoma s and ranger s are better than s10s.

Although the 4.3 is a good motor, save for the intake manifold gasket

recently bought an '05 ranger with 199k miles
how long might she last? it had been pretty well taken care of by previous owner, but that's still a lot of miles for a ~10 year old vehicle right?

>tfw just bought my second Ford Ranger yesterday

feels good mang
gonna sell it soon so I can get one with a V6 and 4WD because I love these trucks. Seriously cried when I sold my first one.

If we had kei trucks in the US I would buy one.

I would suck so much dick for one of these

ford rangers are god tier, but how 'good' they are depends entirely on the model you purchased and if the person who owned it was dumb.

any of them should be a 200k mile truck. proven suspension and frame strength, were built for fucking decades so you can find parts and if you have a problem you are guaranteed to find information about it online since you have ranger people and explorer people to look through.

i used to have a 2001 4.0 sohc 4x4 4 door. i fucking LOVED that thing god damn it was a great vehicle. sold it at 200k miles and its still on the road now.

the 4.0 sohc 4x4 ones are going to give you the best components. even the automatic transmission is solid

lmao wtf u smoking bro?

as a professional tech we all giggle when an s10 comes into the shop (which is often)

>always has loose/fucked up front suspension issues

>lol what is ignition?

>manual version gets a really stiff clutch pedal and shift linkage

>overall shit conidtion

DO NOT BUY A CHEVY S10.

Saw one for the first time the other day. Same color and all

I

What goes wrong with the ignition?

>always has loose/fucked up front suspension issues
my department's truck at work is an early 00s s10 and it grinds like fuck when you turn full lock left

Ive probly posted this pic a few too many times, but i just bought this thing about 3 months ago.

Seems to be a decent rig so far, but only time will tell if the redesign is any good. The diesel GMs will outpull it, but i've heard those suffer from all kinds of electronic/ignition problems.

So far i give it an 8.5/10. At 45k, its a bit overpriced. And despite numerous complaints about the last gen, there's still no height adjustment on the seats.

Speaking from anecdotal evidence here, but I never had issues with my 85 4x4 which had well over 200k when I bought it, save for age related shit. Nobody else I know has had issues with them either unless they got beat to shit on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, my supposedly indestructible Toyota with only 126k is rusting from the bottom up.

What do you think about the GMC Canyon? I know it's more of a mid-size than a compact truck now, but it was comfy. I need a long-distance driving work truck. Test drove this and it is extremely comfy after a nearly hour test drive. A lot more comfy than the Tacoma, which was even more expensive.

I love my rangers, just did a 5.0L swap into my current truck for some more power. Ive also got an 84 ranger, 92 (brothers), 2 02's, an 00, a 98, a 93 and a 94. Mostly friends and relatives trucks but none of them have had any major problems.

s10's feel too cheap and small for me, The tacomas are excellent trucks but more expensive.

Put some grease on the steering stops

to bad i will still smoke you in my 3.5l Colorado

COOOOOOOOL!

I built my truck, Im proud of my truck, I use my truck, and I have more torque and a much larger variety of aftermarket parts. Putting out 300hp doesn't sound like you'll be smoking me with that 25% lack of power.

Plus I really don't care, you do you. I stand by Rangers being good trucks, the Colorados are good to. WAAAAAAY better than the S10's but I just don't like the styling or interiors

I'm baffled at how much Toyota Tacomas cost.

I'd put any amount of money down that the ranger would win. I had a friend who put a 351W into his ranger and the thing did the quarter mile in the high 11s.

People keep buying them at those crazy prices though. So they arent coming down anytime soon

Japanese small utes are super cool.

Don't see why Veeky Forums hates the s10's. Family (including extended) had 4 of them and all of them made it to 150,000 miles with relative ease. They sold two of them off to get a bigger trucks.

This is up for sale in my city and it's pretty close to exactly what I want to do to a Datsun 1200.

It's a shame I have no money and nowhere to put it.

My uncle has a brown one with the diesel motor.

>Small pickups
>American or Foreign

Dude tiny american pickups are Foreign pickups...

>that paint
>that flatbed
>that wood
>that wood finish
that would be terrible for truck things sadly. looks good though.

Medium size truck is best truck.

fuck that's beautiful
all of it

I bought my '03 Prerunner used for about 7k. A bit pricey for a truck with 140,000 miles but really a great little truck overall

I'm not saying people shouldnt buy them, i'm the faggot with the long ass $45k truck up above.

They are great little rigs, but i whole heartedly agree that they are overpriced.

>Tacoma
>45k

might as well gotten the Tundra

Planning to get myself one of these in a few months

Bed can fit a snowmobile just fine, 3 ton tow rating and they're decently priced

Nah, you need a midsize for the mountain roads up here. They are overgrown and 1.5 lanes wide. Helps you squeeze by oncoming traffic. And honestly, the tundra is ugly as fuck imo

Utes

Bought a 1992 toyota 2wd.
They are perfect in size, but so unbearably slow. If you are used to driving a car they are soft, clunky, and all around boring to drive. If you need to move stuff or haul/pick up stuff it is great. By the time you set one up you could have spent that on a seperate fun car like an mr2. If you want to tow cars or camp get a bigger truck (if American go older). When it comes to modability for small trucks its really in racing I think due to the lower weight and less bulk.

What engines do you get in these in the States? We only get 4 pot diesel ones in the UK

Rangers are God tier trucks.

best truck coming through

you mean pickup truck

would drive

2.3l i4
3l v6
4l v6
I dont think we get a diesel here.

Toyotas are so common folk. Treat yourself to the Mercedes of insurgence vehicles.

2.3L 5 speed master race reporting in

Yea I don't understand it either. I had a 91 4.3 with 200k that had no issues other than general maintenance for a beater truck. I also had a 91 s10 blazer with the 4.3 (back in the late 90s) that had zero issues even though I was a stupid teenager.

I traded the pickup for a 2.3 ranger 4x4 mainly for the 4x4 and a "family deal". I miss the torque but love having 4x4

if they sold them at all here i would buy them, especially if they looked like that still

I own a ranger. I just want to die.

Fun Fact: The 2.3L turbo from a thunderbird turbo coupe with bolt right into a 2.3L ranger
Drove one and it was fun as fuck

That's sweet as fuck. Engine bay pics bls?

We got an i4 turbo diesel back in the 80s, but it was really wimpy. Low hp, mediocre torque and tiny displacement, alon with the beautiful 80s style that went with it. It should be noted that they're hyper rare though.

Kek, the current gen Tundra is easily one of the most uggo vehicles being manufactured.

For what it is, I say it's worth it to an extent. For a base model, yeah it's a bit pricey, but there's a bunch of trim levels that can even it out a bit.

Mines a Prerunner SR5, so it's the 2wd with Locking differential, and it's the V6 with high-trim interior and all that shit. Compared to a base model with an I-4 it's a huge difference, and I've seen some of those trucks sell for $3k

about 50% more than average. She should be fine just look out for weird noises and odd behaviors and get em checked out ASAP to avoid a more expensive fix.

We get the Isuzu D-Max, which is (in my humble opinion) the best pickup that size on our market

A manual one with the 2.5 diesel, extra cab and Arctic Truck conversion is pretty much my dream DD

Really thinking about this 2002 f150 4x4 reg cab with the 4.2 v6.

Anything I should look out for? I've heard this engine isn't particularly terrible I just don't want a ranger with the 3.0 or 4.0 since they have some problems. I know it's technically a full sized truck but it's rather small.

Thanks for the help in advance.

>253k
>great condition
Youre a inspiration to us all user

Just skip the 3.0 all together, it's got the power of a 2.3 and the gas mileage of a 4.0.

>ranger v6 problems
???
Pretty reliable engines for the most part senpai. The main issues that occur in the ranger platform are ford's shitty interiors and outdated vehicle technology in every generation. Also, their habit of randomly swapping between metric and imperial bolts throughout the vehicle.

If i was to get a f-150 from the years 1997-2011, it would have to be a 4.6 v8 just because it's been proven to be a bullet proof engine.

Not to mention my 2005 f-150 4x4 has a 4.6 and it has never cause me trouble once. It's not the quickest engine, not the most powerful and hell MPGs suck, but it will get you anywhere you need to go.

where's my hardbody br/o/s at?
>you know you want the D
>21

I really want a simple one that hasn't been fucked with, it would be a great simple DD.
I'd buy one if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a minority, so I'd be looked as just a gardener with his truck.

ayylmao

Reporting in. Awesome little truck. At this point, I'm not sure I wouldn't have had regrets had I bought a full-size truck.

I'm I moron, forgot the pic

Pic of said ranger. 96 xl 2.3 4x4
>brofist

Really comfy compared to other trucks I've driven, had a 2012 colorado work truck, the tranny eventually went but I think it abused it a bit one day. Very nice nice, would recommend but need to get the 5 cylinder.

could get a b series, a grand gets you a really nice one in 'merca.
mine obviously isnt one.

>isnt one
a nice one i mean

I like the 620 more than the 720.

Most serious drift truck I've seen on the internet aren't running stock suspension, though I don't see anything stopping you from running stock.

I havent taken many pictures of it since Ive been having tons of fun driving it around.

Disagree, granted I did swap out my 3.0L for a 5.0L but the 3.0L is a reliable little motor and I got about 20mpg avg with it.

How easy was the swap? I have a 94 b3000 I wanna swap for a 5.0 did you change out the entire drivetrain?

Put a v8 in it.
Chevy 305
Ford 302
Dodge the 4.7 or 5.2

For a 98 and up it was cake to swap, I have a 99 ranger and I got the motor from a 99 Explorer which swapped and bolted right in save for one plug on the battery harness I had to cut and swap. I wanted to keep a manual transmission and transfercase so I got the 5speed and transfercase from an F150 and had a custom driveshaft made and cut a hole for the new shifter. Overall it took me a couple weeks to do.

IN a 94 you have different motor mounts and a different frame/suspension setup and Ive heard its a little more difficult to swap in but there are tons of people that have done it, You will need a motor/transmission/transfercase/driveshafts and possibly a larger rear axle.

Id go with the 350 if you do a chevy swap or potentially a 5.3 if its new enough.

Any small truck you get as long as it has the biggest available motor in it will usually be fun.

c-c-can I join?

Well shit. It's 2wd so no transfer case and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a different rear end. Maybe an 8.8 will work. 9 inch rear ends are getting expensive. It's a dd right now so I won't mess with it til I get a different car. Also it's a 5 speed with a hydraulic clutch. I'm assuming I won't have to swap out the master clutch cylinder, just hook it up to the new slave cylinder.

What do if live in south and want to drive a truck but would daily it to work and would only need to use the truck bed occasionally?

Some nice Mazda B2200 and B2300s in my area for cheap.

Sounds like you answered you own question.

Fine I'll get a sedan like everyone else.

Yeah so then in that case you'd just need an engine and transmission and a rear end. The 8.8 from an explorer is a good choice since it's got 31spline shafts and disc brakes.

If it's a 2wd and that age you should find yourself a mustang engine and transmission and then source out the Explorer front brackets and water pump, make it an easier swap I think.

Git gud op
This is what the Ranger looks like now

Fuck you man. You are a pile of cow shit. Honestly it is people like you that have turned this world into a horrible place filled with rape and murder... I hope you kill yourself you fucking asshole.

Pretty much all the rangers I know of have welded rear diffs and disconnected rear brakes

I know C10's aren't small,but I have a stepside and it's like the size of a Ranger or S10.Funny how small older trucks are compared to their modern counterparts.