Work truck

What does Veeky Forums think about the GMC Canyon?

I need a work truck that is comfy because I drive 200+ miles a day.

Bump

jesus christ WHY are they so fat looking?

Because modern trucks and safety regulations.

It doesn't look as fat IRL though, which is nice. The Tacoma does look a bit skinnier... shame the ride isn't nowhere as nice.

The F150 is faster and hauls more.

CAFE ratings, gotta make em wide to make up for the mileage
OP, don't get a "smaller" truck
1500 only

I've driven a 2wd Deisel slt, it was extremely nice, much nicer then the old colorado. OP if your looking for a comfy truck this is the one to get without going to a nicer fullsize model. I perfer it over the 1500's we have.

The funny thing is these look like they are close to the size of the older generation 1/2 tons. But ya OP get at least a half ton truck

Why not get a smaller truck? I'm going to haul around stuff, but it's primarily for me only. I'm never going to have more than 2 people in the truck at once.

I don't need something that hauls more, I need something that hauls enough, but is primarily comfy for work purposes and long-distance travel.

Well what's the biggest thing you're going to haul?

>thread about 1/4 ton pickup
>suggest truck that costs a bunch more and is way bigger.
Man if you fit in a canyon and it's all you need go for it! I personally opted for a 1500 but I didn't fit well in the canyon plus I tow too much

A 25 foot Boston Whaler Outrage and big brass compass binnacles.

the big three sell fuckloads of standard trucks and are have only started selling smaller trucks to appeal to budget minded shoppers and fleet operators
if you can afford the larger truck, get it

Well I'm still on a budget of about $27k.

I liked the Canyon when I drove it... I was on the road for about 45 minutes and it was pretty great even with these shitty roads.

>work truck
>new

Go buy a 7.3 powerstroke for 10k or less

I work with rich pompous oil execs who are snobbish about appearances. I'd rather have a new, professional-looking truck.

been told that the new GM brothers are in the shop a lot. nice truck if you willing to fork up money for repairs.

otherwise a full size might be more dependable

dude that truck is for cucks just get a gmc sierra or chevy high country if you have deep pockets

2.7 ecoboost f-150

>caring what they think
>going into debt because of someone else who really doesn't give a shit
You're special kind of stupid aren't you?

>debt
Nigger, I have the money to pay cash for it.

If they don't respect a 7.3 then they're retarded

Guy who bought that green 150 here. I have a hard time advising a quarter ton right now due to the f150/2.7 combo. Go test drive a canyon then go test drive a 150 2.7 and watch the mpg meter.

Well then you shouldn't pay cash. Put 10k down on a diesel Colorado then the other 17k into something that'll earn you a return.

It's a truck for work

My current car is absolutely uncomfortable and I lose out on work because I can't tow shit in it. The truck can pay for itself in only a couple of big jobs.

What's the difference in gas mileage? They seem to be similar.

Google shows me 20/27 on canyon. Folks with the 2.7 are getting 20/26 and 21/28 depending on config/luck/lead foot on a pretty large 150 forum I frequent.

I would say pretty equal, but test both and see how they do. Every truck will vary.

Duramax diesel on the Canyon gets ~33 highway so you could get that

> S C S B A E S T H E T I C S

>what is a warranty

I was enjoying this thread until I read this post

You know what to do now OP. this is the only way. These men don't understand America.

Its a shame, the colorado and canyon were smaller, and just got bigger and bigger. Gross as shit

>guy owns a truck

>doesn't tow
>doesn't haul
>doesn't drive anywhere but the freeway

If it's just gonna be a pavement queen work truck, you should be fine. If youre gonna be on anything more than the occasional dirt road though, i'd look at other options. The ground clearance on those ia tragic.

The taco is overdone as a work truck if you ask me, but one thing to keep in mind about the current gen is that there are three different suspension packages available on them. They all ride a bit different.

If you want my advice, go with a silverado WT or an F150 XL. Both are pretty sharp, dependable trucks, and they all get decent mileage these days.

>ground clearance
>tragic
If using it in the boonies, I wouldn't bother with nerf bars and an air skirt on any truck

12 yards long and two lanes wide ?

Even with the air dam removed, the colorado/canyon has a terrible approach angle. You have to baby them offroad, even with the offroad package.

Out of the midsize trucks, it has the worst offroad performance.

>the colorado/canyon has a terrible approach angle
Well isn't that what a level kit is for?

Ram Ecodiesel. 27mpg, good towing capacity and the tradesmen trim is reasonably price.

The new Colorado and Canyon are legit. They are well made, but a bit pricy. A family friend actually works on the assembly line making them.

Well if you're going to get a brand new truck and you want a Canyon, get the diesel version. Just came out 2016.

It might buy you 2 degrees

The thing is just going to be a highway hauler work truck. Other than going to a friend's ranch occasionally, I don't plan to do any off-roading.

If I wanted an off-roader I'd buy an XJ.

The price isn't too bad, considering what you get. For the 2WD diesel with various upgrades, it's about $27k. Right at what I was shooting for in my budget. It is cheaper than the Tacoma, and after test driving both it seems to handle better for long drives and has a considerably nicer interior.

Why the Duramax over the standard gasoline engine?

As opposed to caring what you think?

Trucks are gay.

Ok

ew

oh consumerism

Images do matter to an extent. If I want to promote my business in a professional manner, I need a nice vehicle.

Currently I'm driving a beat up Camry Hybrid with missing body panels, chipped paint, and a huge dent in the driver side door. Not the best presentation for saying "Hey, I want to come on your $200 Million Oil Rig/Container ship/Naval cruiser and conduct work!"

You don't get that much better mileage with a trucklet than you get with a modern 1/2 ton. City mileage is probably atrocious because v8 truck, but they are like mid 20s highway for a modern 1/2 ton. Plus you can look down on the bald spot of the manlet cuck who bought a minitruck

>Plus you can look down on the bald spot of the manlet cuck who bought a minitruck
Spoken like a true cuck

My brother is looking at this for a work truck, is it worth it?

>go to GMC dealership
>test drive a few of their trucks
>a loaded 1500 and 2 versions of the Canyon
>Canyon feels better, handles a bit better
>Duramax on the SLE sounds pretty great
>Ask about the SLE w/extended cab and Duramax
>they don't offer the extended cab with the Duramax
Wat do? I don't need, nor want the crew cab. Do you think they would have it specially ordered?

I just went on the GMC website and was able to build an extended cab SLE with a duramax. Maybe the dealership was just lazy and didn't want to special order.

I don't know. I'm unable to configure it from my phone, so I'm just sitting in the bathroom stall trying to figure out what to do.

Oh, were you trying to get a 1500 with those options? The Duramax is only available on the 2500HD and 3500HD. 1500 only gets gas engines.

>go pay 9k for a 10 year old truck with 300000 miles on it because muh 7.3
7.3 tax is ridiculous yo. Also, if he is considering a mini truck, he probably doesn't need a super duty.

>an aluminum ferd with a 2.7
Jesus h christ my sides

I don't know about the Powerstroke versions but the old 7.3 IDI no turbos were fantastic engines. If what you're hauling didn't require a turbo for big hills or anything I'd go for it. I think those were pre-1992.

He could be into a nice full sized truck for what a new diesel colorado will cost him. Its a $5000 option and its only available on the most expensive trim in the douchiest body style.

NEW DURAMAX DIESEL ENGINE: 31 MPG HWY16
Like the legendary Duramax V-8, Canyon’s available all-new Duramax 2.8L I-4 Turbo Diesel engine delivers abundant torque and horsepower—doing it all with stingy efficiency. The Duramax 2.8L features a variable-geometry turbocharger for optimal power and efficiency across the rpm band and a balance shaft for greater smoothness. It also features the best fuel economy in a truck at 22 city/31 highway16 MPG. Available on SLE and SLT Crew Cab models. Read more about Canyon Diesel Fuel economy on GMC Life.

Other Duramax features and specs:
181 horsepower at 3400 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm
Segment-first exhaust brake uses engine compression to slow the truck down, reducing the amount of conventional braking needed while driving downhill
Includes an integrated Trailer Brake Controller
B20 Biodiesel capable
Paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission

Babby trucks don't look professional

buy one OP they look good and probably last just as long as the last canyons.

Although sometimes the incentives to get a 1500 are better and end up being near Canyon pricing but you get more truck. Id shop around

sure, just make sure he does his maintenance

Oh the Duramax SLE on the CANYON. GMC really needs to work on their naming schemes. There's a Sierra SLE with a Duramax and a Canyon SLE with a Duramax.

I can't even find the diesel option on the build your own Canyon so I don't know what to tell you.

>payload capacity of a ranger

7.3 powerstrokes were good too, its just that in 2003 they replaced it with a 6.0 which was a miserable failure of an engine so everyone with the 7.3 powerstroke "knows what they got no lowballers etc etc".
>IDI
OP is looking for a new truck, why would you suggest something thats been out of production over 20 years?

Import a Maloo, bogan it up and do hectic skids. You know you want to

It won't show it if you selected a body and/or trim its unavailable on (which in this case is most of them).

Plus its a RAM so everybody who sees it just assumes you're an insufferable douchebag.

That's pretty stupid of them. You can put the Duramax on any configuration of the 2500HD or 3500HD. A lot more people would be interested if you could do the same on the Canyon.

a 1500 would tow more and benefits from huge incentives. right now in canada you can get a new chev lt for like 2 k more after savings.

2k that buys you a whole lot more truck

duramax only comes in crew cab on canyon/colorado. The shorter wheelsbase on the extended cab can't house the emissions equipment. Or the configurators are broken.

>muh EPA

Yeah, how dare people not want to breathe carcinogenic soot or have caustic rain fall on them.

>living in a shit place where this happens

Fuck, Veeky Forums I don't know what to do.

They have the truck I want here, but it doesn't have the Duramax. Should I just not bother with the Duramax, or is it a better investment in the long run? I would also have to get a crew cab which I have absolutely no use for.

Should I go to other places (Ford, Toyota) again test out what they have and come back later?

Play the field until you're certain of your choice. You're gonna be spending a lot of time in whatever you decide on. Sounds like you have the taco eliminated, that's a start.

They may have the truck there right now, but there will be others if you decide thats what you want

>buying a modern truck for work purposes

Either you're a white collar faggot that wants to look like a big man or you are new to blue collar work.

Buy an old truck or a base model, lightly used F-150. There is literally no reason to buy one of these new pavement pounders unless you have a small dick and need to prove something to the Mexicans at Home Depot.

I know I do but that fucking import tax
It would be cheaper to buy a brand new donor car and turn it into a ute

How is a midsize truck compensating for anything? If it was a quad cab, long bed Ram i might agree with you, but its a little runabout with modern toys onboard and the ability to do a little hauling.

Are you fucking dense? Have you seen a Canyon next to a Silverado? It's a difference of less than a foot. It's worse than the later model Dakotas next to Rams.

Save up for king ranch

Its still shorter, narrower, and gets slightly better mileage. You also get more options for less money in the mid-size range.

it really depends on the price difference and if you ever plan to tow with this truck. if towing, the duramax would probably be the better truck even with a fairly steep price premium. if not towing (or rarely towing, maybe a few times a year), then you can do the math. usually, the price difference between a gas a diesel truck requires many tens of thousands of miles to pay for itself with better fuel economy. and that's if your diesel truck with it's heavier-duty engine and components don't need anything over normal maintenance. some of the older duramax's had problems with the injectors, which cost like $1000-1200 to fix.

unless you need the torque, or will be driving 200+ miles a day for the next 3 years, then gas is probably the better option

Well, gonna keep searching.

I might come back when I narrow my search down, but after test driving various trucks, SUVs, and sedans over the past 2 days I only feel like I have more questions than answers.