/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

dead at 17 posts edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm gonna try getting into this game after work!

You mean when you come home this evening, or when you retired in a few decades?
Because with the development time of DF, both are reasonable assumptions.

To be fair the release times between versions seems to be getting quicker.

s'garn on in your forts?

Currently everyone is locked inside the tavern due to an undead invasion, I've had to connect it subterrain-ly to my mining shaft and start working around the first cavern for food and such.

>posting pics of a north american indian site that ISN'T pueblo indian
It's called DWARF fortress, not ELF forest retreat.

New embark, currently digging spots for stockpiles. Got some good migrants for once.

>tfw toady's been explicit about adding more complex kobold sites

I have that pic saved as a reference too.

It looks like the bards and such which keep trying to get into my fortress killed enough undead for them to finally piss off.

First cavern level has a bit of a problem with Giant Cave Spiders. I think they used to just melee trapped dwarves in their metal helms, but now they grab dorfs by the head and break their necks by shaking them. Not sure if any armor can protect against this. The last one killed 3 half trained militia before taking an axe to the cephalothorax.

There's a possessed leatherworker muttering something about thread in his workshop. He probably wants plant fiber thread, which ran out when I was making bags for glass production. May need to install a door.

I declared the dead axedwarves' possessions, including socks, free for the taking. Many plebs ran for the spoils and are now engaged in a mixed martial arts free-for-all with wandering trodgolytes. One carpenter went into a rage the second he saw a trodgolyte and chased it all over the place before kicking it to the floor and pummeling it to death with his fists. If he wants a comfy bed in the barracks, he can have it I guess.

Dead at 17, gone before it's time.

I forgot to embark with an axe at the start of my new game and can't cut down any trees. i'm trying to figure out how to make shit to get an axe before i turn full elf

You must commit sudoku.

I'm playing a custom race of orcs with a few castes, some are about the same size as humans and dwarves but a few are substantially bigger, I think they managed to kill 1 GCS while naked without any losses. Thankfully nothing else much spawned down there thanks to the 60 or so undead roaming around up the top.

full of moneys going ape on my embark

hopefully they'll have better sense than going into the fort

here's hoping you avoid the curse of the Giant Gray Langur

>first successful fort
>completely self reliant, magma, military, trade goods, you name it
>fps suddenly drops during last half an hour from 60 to 15

kill me

Why do my retards keep getting stuck in trees? I've lost like half of my settlement because of it

They suddenly started dying on their own.

>The Resus Macaque's head takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
>The Resus Macaque gives in to pain

what the hell

latest version? curious as to how the performance will increase

Trees are the worst!

Remember, you deal with elves and trees the same way: with the axe.

not current, 42.06

i found 2 layers of cavers recently, that might be it but honestly i dont know, since i didnt even venture inside yet.

>Forts lost to flooding:
2 (my first and third forts ever)
>Forts lost to tantrum spirals:
1 (my second fort)
>Forts lost to clowns:
>Forts lost to goblins, semimega- or megabeasts:

>Forts lost to FPS death, boredom, or a new version coming out with features incompatible with old worlds:
probably close to 100

such is DF

not much. it's been reported that worldgen is noticeably faster, and I'd agree with that

perhaps trying walling them off to reduce pathing lag

yeah I've noticed worldgen is a lot better now even with my usual 100 year history

yea that's kinda what im saying, no dwarves in the caverns, theyre walled in, but its the only significant thing that happened recently.

I did sets of worlds with the same seed/world-gen/etc back to back, did one to the same year, took a couple minutes longer, did another for the same length of time, got a few years further, both of the 64 bit worlds also had several thousand additional units.

what's a nice way to let water into your fortress?

buckets

fair enough

I find just zerg rushing a river for farms or whatever early on is a bad idea, it leaves your fortress design more limited, better to plan it out a bit later on with a proper drain and the ability to trap water in sections and such.

Dig it.

so is it me or is there an unusual amount of undead this release? I've been getting necro hobo intruders sneaking in trying to rob my corpse pile on a regular basis, not something I've ever seen before.

I just got another one less than 6 months later. Once they bugger off I'm gonna have to work out some sort of undead killing.. system

Could be world activation working faster

Knowledge transfers, people find books by necromancers and spread them around, sometimes with really fun consequences.

Which should be really fun when it interacts with the artifact transfer/inheritance system.

I've never seen a game simulate monkey behavior so well. I've truly come to hate the things. The beasts suddenly show up in a group and set hell loose on my pasture. Disgusting.

The last update was supposed to have fixed the issue with history seeds not working properly, so you may want to try your test again. Just to eliminate the RNG contamination of your first test.

>when you go overboard with stairs

lnp when

32 bit and 64 bit seeds will vary, the newest one was in the official 64 bit release.

The 32vs64 image was in the test 64 bit, btw, I did a later one with the same sorts of results.

How's your monkey issues going?

It's fine now. I holed myself in with pasture and all. so they just wander outside. I'll see that I never meet those giant monkeys.

How does one isolate nest boxes individually so that dwarfs can't take the eggs now that reproduction now longer works via spores?

Walls and doors, I like to have a hatchery and an eggery area, just lock the door on the hatchery.

>DF20XX
>be traveling entertainer/philosopher who usually just flees towns once your welcome is worn out
>Traveling down river Huckleberry Finn style
>Happen upon a large riverboat in the middle of the night
>Climb aboard quietly
>its a huge party
>Explore, go inside the cabins
>Some serious Eyes Wide Shut shit going down
>You are spotted and they ask who you are
>You wave around your trusty copy of The Lusty Anolewoman Maid and say you're a messenger for a nearby lord.
>They welcome you, insisting that this is all a wedding celebration. They ask you go to go outside and join the revelers on the deck.
>You keep asking questions about the distressed people who don't seem to be enjoying the wedding.
>Everyone removes their masks, witches and night trolls cackle madly and vampires bare their fangs
>Its a black sabbath consisting of foul creatures from across the world.
What do

Curse your god and hope they curse you back with the right syndrome.

>Hastur, Hastur, Hastur!

grapple them one by one and bruise their muscles and tear their tendons.

Just embarked into a mountainside with the pop cap set to 7. Hoping for tetrahedrite, cassiterite, and bismuthite between the 5 deep metal rolls I'll have

Good, I always hated making it to one and it's just a bunch of crafts thrown about the surface.

Training axes don't cut anymore. If you're in older versions, deconstruct your wagon for 3 logs.

If you didn't embark with ores, a pick, or enough metal shit to melt you're fucked until autumn. Gather plants and cook biscuits then roasts so you can buy shit. Burn wood for ash for a fire safe building material if you can't get to stone.

Probably climbed up a tree and fell off cause they're shit at climbing.

Configure stockpiles or t,+,f to forbid the egg,

>Training axes don't cut anymore. If you're in older versions, deconstruct your wagon for 3 logs.

I managed to mine into some gold fairly early, and deconstructed the wagon to make charcoal and made a golden axe. we're back in business.

dorfs weren't too happy to go this long without beds however, and the lack of barrels was a pain

>they're shit at climbing.

And fighting too, it seems. They're getting killed by ducks.

Monkeys gonna monkey. Good practice for your nerds, good meat for roasts, good skin for quivers and armor, good skull for a totem, and good bone to stud shit with to sell.

Fucking brutal.

>gives in to pain
I should fucking think so
jesus

their is no development timeline though, or even an objective I think. it just grows and becomes more complex, like the world and stories it tries to create

historians might look back on DF in a millennium as one of first real organic alternate realities

im really fucking high

So you can break balls without mods now
Cool

So I commissioned an engraving of a god and the fucker drew himself hugging said god

DF has a big list of objectives but Toady inevitably adds a bunch of other shit to make those things work/more fleshed out.

Well, I've burnt myself out again. See you in another couple of years, /dfg/

Wait fampai, what' gimmick forts have you done?

will it ever be "done" though? imo most games only release that 1.0 to justify a price point, when it could be arguably complete before or after that release (if they keep improving it). minecraft being the foremost example.

I'm not ever on the bay 12 forums so I dunno what he has said but it seems pretty clear he doesn't care about commercializing a game with a 90 degree learning curve only turboautists play. if there's ever a 1.0 it'll probably be symbolic. the way he keeps striking out on tangents and just fleshing everything out I doubt he'll stop after that release unless he wants to change his life

but again I have no idea what he has said publicly

I'm pretty sure every other Bay 12 game is free my dude. Toady is an artist, literally.

my point exactly

>other bay 12 games

fuck, I had an epic save on LCS...

Somehow my hunter wounded and failed to kill a giraffe. The hunter ran out of bolts and retreated.
The manager was headed to the well with a bucket and the giraffe attacked him and stomped him to death. All of my squads are chasing this fucking named giraffe around the surface. "Giftedsack" nice fucking name faggot.

He has a whole development plan. He'll have it mostly done in about 20 years then he'll piddle around as senility kills him.

giraffe's are pretty large. Hunt with squads with at least 1 hammer instead of hunters or put hunters through wrestling training with armor and shields so they're as good as they can get then have ample leather shit on hand for your hunter to pick up.

That bitch hid in a pond and got a silver warhammer in the fucking skull. DIE

I have 42 living dorfs at the moment. None of them are named Urist...

Don't stand between a dwarf and his waifu

>edgelord waifu

pleb tier

though as far as god of death names go, Midor the Massive Savageries is up there

>equip miners with picks and wooden shields
>attack giant tortoise
>they start hitting it with shields and collapsing from exhaustion

Did you leave their mining labor on?

I did. Does it matter? Now I can't get them to disengage, they just keep collapsing and other dwarves bring them water

Nevermind, they ran away after I disbanded a squad
Good thing it was a tortoise, otherwise they'd be dead

When the fuck will Toady add breast- and overshot waterwheels?

Is there anyone who does youtube videos of dorfort? I'm not very good and can't really get into it, but I would absolutely love to watch someone who's good at the game to do a little commentary while playing through.

It does matter. Lots.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
This is an ancient bug every player should know about.

Read the wiki you dumb fucker

Jefmajor has a lot of old vids, there are a few current/ongoing series you can find if you just go to YT and filter by this month, like vinesauce joel, dastatic, and marcus aurelius

at least you can sorta simulate it

You can if you hate your fps.

>Toady implements features to better represent flying creatures attacking as part of future mounted combat arc
>all the inevitable "peregrine falcons gibbing dwarves" bugs
>has to implement a limit to how frequently an AI checks to decide to carry away and drop things to prevent giant keas from dropping your dwarves off cliffs/stolen anvils on your dwarves constantly

>implying giant kea stealing citizens wouldn't be awesome

haha I totally forgot to build the trade depot in time for the first caravan

it'll come if I build it now r-right? wiki says nothing so it must

You'll get a smaller caravan, the wagons won't spawn but I believe the dudes leading animals will.

huh. better than nothing still

>Roc plucks the ship captain off the deck moments after setting sail
>he was the only experienced sailor on the ship

>Implying the ships will ever get done.

this fuck is here on vacation isn't he? he thinks he's having an adventure. I'll give him an adventure, in my foreign legion.

Rate my megabeast idea.
>wyvren
>grown adult size: Half that of average adult dragon
>Noxious breath attack that induces bad thoughts (and necrosis in open wounds it contacts if possible)
>Barbed tail, sting carries high-pain venom
>Blood causes blisters, dizziness, etc. on skin contact
Basically going with the idea of wyvrens being big shitty dragon-like carrion lovers that nobody with a functioning nose or brain would want to be around.