Best all rounder under 10k?

I'm looking for sporty cars under 10k and so far the best bang for buck seems to be a g35 and cobalt ss turbo. Both highly tunable and capable stock but I can't help to think I'm missing cars in this price segment. All the Wrxs are abused as fuck and well slower than the two other cars mentioned and more expensive. S2ks in the price range are completely trashed, mustangs can't turn, camaros can't turn or at least can't without a new suspension setup. Is there anything else in missing in this segment? And please morning carburated, I have a carb bike and it's a fickle bitch

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=boPRPsigzb8
atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5530463267.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/5555947725.html
zzperformance.com/ecotec/turbo-parts-kits/lsj-turbo-complete-swap-kit.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2h7dCHn2XcA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine
superstreetonline.com/eventcoverage/130_0511_timeattack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*nothing carburated

The cobalt ss is the easiest to tune but it's FWD, still it's a fucking beast of a car GM wasn't fucking around. The g35 is a shit tier 350z, it's heavier, slower by quite a bit, some say it looks nicer, they're really common. I agree with the WRX being the weakest car especially for the price you might pick up a total turd for 10g. Sorry OP you're in a shitty price range for sports cars, maybe miata + engine swap?

Camaros and Firebirds can turn. Especially if you can track down a third or fourth gen with the 1LE option.

Anyways, The only cars I can think of that you've overlooked are the Saturn Ion Redline (Pictured. The Cobalt SS Supercharged's sister car), the Acura RSX Type S, and the 2006+ Honda Civic Si.

The only things not interchangeable between the Ion and the Cobalt are the body panels, front strut springs, and dash/interior panels (front and rear seats interchange though). It's also of note that the Cobalt Turbo's front control arms don't interchange because they use a different ball join.

Best bang for the buck at this level are going to the the Cobalt/Ion Delta twins, The Camaro/Firebird F-body twins, and 2003+ Saab 9-3 Turbos (which uses a turbocharged variant of the Ion Redline and Cobalt Supercharged engine).

shut up and buy a civic for

I already have a civic as a dd

Then E46 or E39. Not that shitty nissan or cobalt

I looked at a 9-2x Saab which is a rebadged wrx but it was $100 more a month for insurance, the g35 and cobalt are only 15$ more. I like the RSX type s, it's fun but it has no lsd and it's the lowest power, love the k series though.

How is the 06 Si? I don't know anyone with one so can't say I've driven it.

>1500kg
>230hp

I wouldn't call that sporty or fast man, I've driven my buddies 330ci and it had nice response but fast or sporty no.

OP wants a sports car not a boat anchor. Can't really buy an m3 for 10gs

The Saab 9-2X Aero is not a Saab 9-3 Turbo. Yes they're both Saabs with turbocharged 4 bangers, but completely unrelated.
youtube.com/watch?v=boPRPsigzb8

>The cobalt ss is the easiest to tune but it's FWD,

Not OP, but has there been any kind of major mods/work done to a cobalt to make it RWD yet?

I have a 2007 Ion Redline with the 2008-2020 Cobalt SS FE5 suspension swap. Its a super competent chassis and suspension setup. The LSJ motor I have is super reliable and makes a lot more power for very little money. If you can get a 2008-2010 Cobalt SS Turbo with the LNF engine it has these same qualities of the lsj two-fold.

Nope. The chassis won't support it. You would have to weld in a custom floorpan with a custom gas tank and a custom rear end since the Cobalt has a Torsion beam rear axle. The Delta chassis just WILL NOT support any power to the back wheels.

That said, it would be easier to take the mentioned Saab 9-2 Turbo and make THAT RWD. You would need custom mounts and a custom prop-shaft to the back but it could be done much easier. In 2009, Saab started offering the 9-3 with an AWD system they called XWD. So you turn the turbo 4 banger around, use the transmission from a Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice/Cadillac ATS, custom mounts, prop shaft, and ECU tune and voila. Saab famously offered a 1 year only performance variant of the 9-3 called the 9-3 Turbo X, which had AWD, a 6 speed manual, and a 300+ HP 2.8L DOHC turbocharged V6.

>look through this thread for options
>GM
>GM everywhere
What is it with GM and making good cheap performance vehicles?

>Saab 9-2 Turbo
I think you meant Saab 9-3 Turbo

No none at all, but that God Damn engine is good for 600whp on stock internals. GM put some fucking voodoo in that engine. It's perhaps the most underrated car at the moment and you can buy one with less than 100k miles for 6500-7500. I figure it's hit it's maximum depreciation point because even srt4 neons with more miles are 1-2k more

hmm.

Get that weebshit out of here.

>It's perhaps the most underrated car at the moment
No, that would be the Saab 9-3.
Same basic engine, a better chassis with IRS and available AWD.
There's also the fact the manual transmissions in the Cobalt SS S/C and T/C are both Saab transmissions.

OP here, I've test driven a stage 2 2009 ss turbo and it's a helluva car and it did put a big grin on my face, I'm still waiting to test drive the g35. Also from my research the ss comes best equipped, real LSD, no lift shift, brembo brakes (front), super easy to tune ECU, light weight, nice wide tires.

How's a heavier car better? Ss/tc track times don't lie man

>It's perhaps the most underrated car at the moment and you can buy one with less than 100k miles for 6500-7500.

So true. Look what i found in 30 seconds.

atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5530463267.html

>500Hp
>90k miles (still a bit high)
>$4999

Would this car technically GM's "Honda Civic"? But a better platform and better engine? I can't believe how underrated these cars are.

The Ion can have a real LSD provided it has the G85 option. ECU is tuneable the same way. The Brembo brakes are a literal bolt on upgrade, the tires are the same width, and due to the plastic body panels, the Saturn is even lighter. Plus with the supercharged engine, there's no need for no lift shift

Apply a similar performance suspension to the Saab with an engine tune and the Saab will win every time. Saabs never got track times because they were marketed as entry level luxury cars. You don't see Buicks setting lap times anywhere, do you?

Sorry man, turbo wins for me every time. There was no goddamn turbo lag when I was driving it, it felt like it was spooling at 2k rpm

If I was closer I'd buy that in a heart beat

atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/5555947725.html

Another one.

Yes, the Cobalt was GM's Honda Civic. When developing the Cobalt and Ion, GM specifically targeted the Honda Civic and Acura RSX. GM wanted to court the aftermarket tuner scene and did so by heavily promoting the Ecotec engine in drag racing. There have been 1400 HP Ecotecs using an unmodified factory block. When the press got ahold of the supercharged Cobalt SS and Ion Redline, they proclaimed it the next generation Chevrolet Small Block.

k. Than swap it to a turbo. There's kits for that.
zzperformance.com/ecotec/turbo-parts-kits/lsj-turbo-complete-swap-kit.html

Then sell off the car's original factory supercharger kit. People love snapping them up.

Why not fly out and drive it home? People do that all the time. =D

The supercharged is the lesser version, faster than a civic si but not by much, there's a stage upgrade that gets it to around 215-230. The turbo cobalt is something else. It's faster than an sti and am evo of the same year, that's no small feat considering it was almost 10k cheaper new.

>There have been 1400 HP Ecotecs using an unmodified factory block.

Jesus christ......

Any video or articles? I have to see this.

For 10k id buy myself a r33 or r34 rb25det but thats cause there cheap and very easy to come by in new zealand, just go test drive all your favourites and pick which ever one you like the most

How come GM didn't do well?

733 miles... I also live in Canada so that 5000$ is a million Canadian pesos lol, still a deal no doubt

>The supercharged is the lesser version

I thought the supercharged version was the high end sport version of it? Or is there another model with a turbo?

Rhd = $5000 Annually on insurance in Canada. Otherwise I would.

This.

>733 miles... I also live in Canada

Well think of it as an awesome road trip to break it in and get a feel for it. =P

If ihad the money id swipe it up myself.

The block itself it stock. Everything else is heavily modified,, including pistons/crank.
youtube.com/watch?v=2h7dCHn2XcA

2005-2007 Cobalt SS's were available with either a 175 HP N/A 2.4L, or a 2.0L 205 HP supercharged I4. 2008-2010 Cobalt SS's came standard with a 260 HP 2.0L Turbo.

Do the 2005-2007 use the same engine block as the 2008-2010?

Wow, no playoff teams and a crappy dollar. Life must be tough up north right about now

Yeah 2008-2010 was a turbo version which is the critically acclaimed version, it had better suspension, arguably better interior, a 24mm solid rear sway bar, a very tweaked rear torsion axle. The car is faster than most 60k sports cars.

No turbos under 200k for less than 10k. They're severely overpriced here.

>Do the 2005-2007 use the same engine block as the 2008-2010?

.......incorrect........what I meant to say is do the 2008-2010 use the same engine block as 2005-2007?

For the 2.0L's, yes. It's the same engine block. Different cylinder head and pistons though. The Turbo engine has direct fuel injection, while the super has conventional sequential multi-port.

I usually go for blackhawks and Detroit but both are out lol

>The block itself it stock. Everything else is heavily modified,, including pistons/crank.

I may not be able to afford the amount of money that went into that engine, but if I could get a little over 600, id be very content. Still, thats crazy.

Dayme fuck that i have a gc8 wrx with a sti motor swap and some other work done, my insurance is 655 annually for full cover, im 24 and have shit history because of fines and loss of licence

Awesome, appreciate the info bro.

I would have posted tits for ya but this is a SFW board, here is a kitten instead.

JUST

I should also point out here the drag cars use the 2005-2007 2.0L cylinder head (ported within an inch of its life, but still) and not the 2008-2010 head. The reason is the fuel injection system. The aftermarket support is just not there to get the direct fuel injection system to pump out enough fuel to make that kind of power.

If you want crazy power, the 05-07 engine is the better bet just for the fuel injection.

The direct fuel injection requires a second fuel pump driven by one of the camshafts to force the fuel PSI to I think like 1400 PSI. To drag race and make crazy power, you would need to exponentially increase that number and the aftermarket just hasn't been able to do it yet. The turbo cars are great for making power up to a certain point, then they're limited by the fuel injection.

>Rhd = $5000 Annually on insurance in Canada.

Why so much?

Where are you located?

Because Ontario is a jew province, it's not enough that we're taxed the most but have the least services they fuck us everywhere, even some stuff that should be free health care wise isn't because the demand for making a dollar is too great. I would move if it wasn't for all my friends and my gf

Ya know originally i was looking at theLexus SC300 and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (Which is just a de-tuned Evo 10) for a project car, but after seeing how underrated these cars are and what they can do regardless they are FWD, i might do a Cobalt SS instead.

Auckland, New Zealand

>even some stuff that should be free health care wise isn't because the demand for making a dollar is too great.

I saw a video about that. Apparently the ambulances are run by private companies and they charge you out the ass just for a ride to the hospital.

How true is this?

throw enough ecotec aftermarket support at a 2002-2005 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotec and it'll do the same shit. Any of GM's ecotec cars are capable of that performance. You really can't go wrong with any of them. It's a god-tier engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

>Auckland, New Zealand

Not that user but ive always had an interest in visitng New Zealand. The pictures of the mountains ive seen there are beautiful.

When would the best time to visit be? Winter? Spring?

>Cavalier

Ill be honest, I absolutely HATE the design of the Cavalier and always have.

Fun fact, the Ariel Atom also uses the Ecotec engines as well. (im sure you already knew this though, just something i rememebr from a review on it)

Yes they used to be included in basic health care but they changed that. An ambulance ride can be $50 or $500 depending on the services. They saved my mom's life in an ambulance but the bill was $500 that was shocking to find out considering our taxes are so high. Still grateful but whatever.

There's odds and ends that don't make any sense, Canada is very much America with an identify crisis.

Autumn or summer, gets quite hot around summer and the beaches are awesome, and autumn is good because the weather is still good but not too hot, you could visit whenever, just depends on what you wanna do

>Canada is very much America with an identify crisis.

And also if you do visit auckland be prepared for traffic, it took me almost 2 hours to drive 35kms today, pic related traffic heading in and out of auckland city at 4-430 pm today

What the fuck?

Sucks for you. Riced ones are like 6k here nice ones are 8-10k.

>gets quite hot around summer and the beaches are awesome

Might have to come during the summer then. Love going to the beach.

Also as god awful as this may sound, how easy is it to pickup a chick and get laid there?

Yip according to the radio it started to slow down around 230 and when i got home at 7 it was better but still crawling

Eh, honestly they're overpriced unicorns. VLSD which is super meh. Not any lighter than modern sport coupes (2800lbs) and very light on power (218).

I like them but there's better cars for the money IMO.

Im not the best person to ask lol im engaged and have been with my fiance for 9 years so i havent had to try in ages lol, but my mates and my brother never seem to have a problem, lots of good looking ladies over here mate and with an accent id say it would be pretty damn easy

Just an american guy with a slight southern accent here. Lol.

Not the same guy but I'm going to Australia this year for a visit might as well stop by and say HI to the norse God's

Honestly just having the american accent will get you pussy aslong as your nice and polite theyl love it, the kiwi accent is bland as all fuck

Why australia?? No snakes, no deadly spiders, no crocodiles etc etc in new zealand, safe country compared to straya

I'm thinking of moving to Australia, I like the car scene the women are hot I love the accent. I love hot weather I hear the politics are shit and some shit that doesn't make sense either but I wanna stay for a bit and see how I feel

He isn't going into the fucking outback

My mate in adelade doesnt live in the oit back hes had to deal with snakes, spiders and kangaroos, hes been there for 2months i barely see daddy long legs in my house mayne

Car scene in new zealand is better and the police arent as shit either, way easier to mod a car in new zealand too, rego is cheaper in nz the list goes on, and cars are pretty damn cheap in new zealand

I consider fighting a roo trial by fire and a rite of passage, they're just straight cunts mate you gotta be one back

It's a pretty temperate climate isn't it? It gets fairly cold there right?

Yea they square you up too puffin out their chest and arms looks hilarious

Depends on where you are, australia is very dry new zealand has a more humid climate, it doesnt snow in auckland so it never gets that cold where i live

Can we get back to cars please? The Ausfags already have a containment thread

Im not australian

No less than 15c? I hate snow I'm fucking sick of it.

New Zealand is close enough

fucking GM
i don't like them as a company but i can't hate them either for some stuff they make

It gets to freezing point 0c but usually only for a week or so, winter mornings are cold around the 0-5c mark for arounda month but thats the morning it starts heatin up as soon as the suns out which is like 630-730am

Are you american? May awell be canadian or mexican you guys are touching each other

Ford Falcon XR6 turbo

>im 24
>have been with my fiance for 9 years

how do you even manage

Easily? I love her to bits have 2 kids, ther is this thing in life called happiness you may find it one day mate good luck

>ther is this thing in life called happiness you may find it one day mate good luck
t-thanks buddy

Not Australian otherwise I'd go straight for a s15

Yea mayne theres some woman out ther that can drive well, know and like cars that arent sluts you just have to be patient, have some good memories of her drifting my dirty r33 when she was pregnant with my son lol good times

Why an s15? There a nice car and all if your 5'6 and skinny but there over rated the sr20 is a good engine but not great

No I'm 6' but my buddy has one here in Canada and and I loved everything about it, it reminds me of a more raw, driver oriented 350z and not as heavy and a real LSD not that Vlsd shit

The answer is an Integra.

Too slow. The Cobalt would eat it. GM didn't fuck around with the Cobalt. Even the supercharged model will not only out-accelerate any stock integra, but it'll most likely outhandle it as well.

Speaking of which. All you Hondatards who think double wishbone suspension is the only way for a FWD car to be worth anything, The Cobalt proves you all wrong. It has a Macpherson strut front suspension and a twist beam rear axle. Think about that the next time you wanna rip on 2001+ Civics and RSX's for going to struts over the wishbones.

TLDR: doesn't matter what suspension setup your car came with stock. Proper work can make ANY car handle amazingly

They have the same power and similar weight, how exactly would the supercharged cobalt "outaccelerate" the integra? Also k20s are reliable af, dunno shit about ecotecs but k20s are tried and true. Outhandle is bredy subjective too, but double wishbone will always be best unless your looking at pushrod suspension and other crazy expensive shit

Just buy a corolla with a 6 speed, it will make please you the most in the long term.
Im a believer in reliable daily first, and then buy a fun car when you have the money, it always worked out better for me.

In America, where OP is, the Integra was sold as an Acura through the DC2 model. The DC5 was marketed as an all new RSX, so nothing with the Integra name ever got a K-series in America. B-series only.

Even the Type R is about 10 horsepower down on the supercharged Cobalt.

As to the K20 RSX Type S (American market equivalent to the DC5 Integra Type R, 210 HP), the supercharged Cobalt is about half a second faster down the drag strip due to a much broader power band and a LOT more torque. Woo, the K20 and LSJ make similar power. This overlooks the fact the LSJ makes a BUTTLOAD more torque.

To give you Europeans an idea of the Cobalt SS.
It uses the same chassis as the Opel Astra H, but with Nurburgring tuned suspension.
The engine is a 2003+ Saab 9-3 2.0L, but replace the turbo with a supercharger for instant boost.
2008-2010 Cobalt SS Turbos got the 2.0L Turbo engine from the 07-09 Opel GT roadster. 2008-2010 cars also went BACK to the nurburgring and retuned everything.

As too handling, GM entered a time attack event in 2005 with one to promote the car. The only engine mods to the supercharged engine were a GM Performance Parts stage 2 kit (245 HP) and a 50 HP nitrous shot. Everything else was suspension and tuning. Pic is they car built for the event at the event.
superstreetonline.com/eventcoverage/130_0511_timeattack/

The beat everyone so bad they were banned from ever coming back. And GM wasn't the only manufacturer there if you notice. Chrysler was there with their SRT team and a Dodge Neon SRT4 too. A lot of the cars they beat had AWD and over 600 HP.