Inspections

In my province the idea of bringing back annual vehicle inspections, which were removed about 20 years ago is a hot topic. Currently you need an inspection for a transfer of ownership, or annually if it's a taxi or over 4500kg GVWR.

Personally, I think it's a horrible idea. Inspections are carried out by independent garages, who profit form any associated repairs. The crowd that is sounding the alarm on this subject is you guessed it: garages, dealerships and mechanics.

99% of people have a car that is in safe driving condition. The other 1% would still never get an inspection, because they don't have insurance or even a god damned valid licensee half the time.

So what I am asking you is; What are your thoughts on annual vehicle inspections? Good or bad? What are some other regulation that exist to keep death traps off the road that actually work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9grajOShXl8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7ncpdpMUc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube
copper.org/applications/automotive/pdf/a8001.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=QEowr2J8vWE
youtube.com/watch?v=3yQ3WN2B2Us
youtube.com/watch?v=RpPLSryPw78
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

saudi arabia knows. ban women from driving.

Good because normies are idiots.

I'd agree with this
if my state enforced the laws that the mechanics need to obey it could work though.
>transferring registration interstate
>comes up with bullshit list of registration requirements
>rear bulbs too dim
>looks at them in direct sunlight
>bulbs are 6 months old

>leaking oil
>engine bay is still a bit dirty from when I replaced a leaking transmission hose
>all the seals are fucking fine
>doesnt leak at all

>engine mount broken
>replace engine mount
>nothing wrong with it
>it's one of those floating partially hollow type bushings

>door isnt alligned properly
>watch mechanic engage the door latch and repeatedly bash the door trying to close it about 20 odd times
>yeah well the fucking thing isnt alligned now is it cunt

>brake fluid test says its dirty
>i flushed the brakes six months ago
>brake fluid is clear

>fix all these problems
>come back for final check in allowed time period
>tries to charge me again telling me that the period has expired
>spend 3 hours on the phone to main roads trying to get them to confirm it
>they cant and need to refer it to an investigator because they can't count to 14

it was noble. but unfortunately it opens the door for mechanics to slap you with ridiculous labor charges for minor shit that isnt even a problem and that would fuck you over as in my case, major engine work they tried to con me into. it needs to be an impartial state run company, not farmed out to private mechanics because they just see it like winning the lottery. bet they would have tried to charge me a couple of hundred of dollars to change the tail lights if i'd gotten the work done there. absolute faggotry.

While I always talk shit about inspections over here in Finland and hate them for being anal fucks who won't cut you any slack and always find something to bitch and whine about, for example my W123 300D. Got a warning for a fucking "faulty window washer" and a worn wiper. Of course the pissers won't work if there's no god damn liquid and what the fuck do they care if there's like one fucking crack in the wiper, leaving a light streak on the codrivers side window.

Then again, they do keep potentially dangerous cars off the road, for example a car with a shitty bearing and some retarded beaner who doesn't want to fix said bearing. Really nice when that shit seizes on the highway, thing slams in the guard rail and flies over to the incoming lane, creating a fucking massive catastrophe.

Also helps keeping rusty shitboxes off our equivalent of craigslist.

OP here, this is why they got rid of it in the first place I believe. Shitboxes still on the road, all while exploiting those who don't know any better (women, elderly, etc.)

My blood boils when I read the news to hear that people are buying into the lies that these dealers and garages are putting out.

Who administers your inspection in Finland?

A lot can go wrong over the course of a year. Might as well go monthly if we wanna go full commie mode.

Even if they do endorse it, there will always be garages that will pass you regardless if you slip them a tip.

People are still going to be driving around with 5 psi in the tires and missing lug nuts (I see this daily) regardless of a yearly inspection.

There's already too many perfectly fine cars being scrapped because people are afraid they won't pass inspection.

I hope they don't bother. I don't want it to turn into the depressing system that europe has where yo can go to jail for a rust spot. I'll take my freedom tyvm.

youtube.com/watch?v=9grajOShXl8

for anyone who hasnt had to deal with a top kek mechanic, touching anything on an engine is considered major engine work to them.
>replace timing belt
>literally disconnect one mount and run a new belt
>a thousand dollars

>replace engine mount
300$

shit adds up per job with each job taking a minimum hour per job charged at about 280$/hr

anyone have the mechanic wheel of fortune.jpg?

also, actual inspection is a fixed fee of like 72$ here which is quite reasonable. but when they try to bullshit you with the add-on services they want to do it runs a bit more expensive.

Bad because my car wouldn't pass because of rust issues that only affect my safety.

Largely ineffective. Cash-grab is all it is.

I agree. it is good. in queensland, you pay for the first inspection, they tell you what is wrong then you have two weeks to fix it and bring it back and they just tick off what was wrong and arnt allowed to find any additional random repairs to ask you to do.

so you got off easy with a 10$ wiper change and a bottle of water.

the car market is fucked here desu senpai. since they brought in the inspections for any title transfer there are no more tfw 60$ part could have saved so many cars
now the shittiest beaters that are sold registered go for >3000$

>muslims
>doing anything original
youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7ncpdpMUc

Same here, except you get a "fault list" that gives you time to drive the car around for a month, once that time is up, you can no longer get another fault list and can only continue to drive it if you get it re inspected, which usually doesn't cost anything.

Warnings don't hamper the inspection as long as they stay at 3 or lower, if I remember correctly. The guy probably tried to make up some bullshit reasons for the first two and then find a legit fault for the third one, which he didn't.

i got a warning for my electric windows winding up "too slowly"
>they take about 5 seconds to wind up from bottom to top
>just ignored it

are they meant to wind up at full decapitation speed?
this is my first car with power windows. other peoples cars dont seem much faster.

oh and for the aircon switch being broken.

They're total garbage

I think you need some kind of inspection. In the UK most people wont even consider thinking about if their car is roadworthy or not, until the inspection date gets close. If you didnt have it then most people would never check things like their brakes.

>What are your thoughts on annual vehicle inspections?
They are a good thing
It keeps the poor fags off the road, and you know that the cars around you are going to be maintained to a reasonable standard.

Here in the UK we have yearly MOTs, but they're bullshit. Most garages will fail you on bullshit reasons so you're forced to get work done. For example

>Car has slightly rusty brake pipe, dosen't leak
>MOT failure on "severe rust and major leak of fluid on brake lines"
>Quote me £200 to replace every brake line in the car

they should only cover safety though. which on a car is everything related to being able to stop the car in an emergency. ie brakes.

when it comes down to letting a shit heap stay on the road because the engine has a minor oil leak and it could last another 20 000km before it packs in. or sway bar bushing that will just make cornering a bit more lose and you can just drive more carefully. fuck you dont even need the sway bar just delete and use as a dd then it starts getting ridiculous. why keep the car like new when you know you're not even going to be replacing the frayed timing belt? just drive it till it snaps and throw it away then.

although i do have a terrible story
>replacing throttle cable for my ex-gfs dad
>doesnt think its important
>do it for FREE
>idiot has been driving with a shitted up throttle cable on a 300zx so it jams WOT randomly so he just pumps the pedal a few times and after about 30 seconds he can control the car again
>just too lazy/doesnt want to spend the money
>has been just spraying wd40 on the cable, "when it gets bad"

There are MOT stations. They offer no services other than the MOT test.
Just because you're a fucking retard doesn't mean its a bad system

But it doesn't. The poor who can't drive just buy a beater and drive it with no inspection which is required after a sale, no insurance and no drivers license. After a month or 2 they get pulled over, the car goes to the crusher, they get 3k in fines they will never pay and repeat.

that's a pretty severe fault though you moron.
brake systems are rock solid and built to a high standard. a rusty brake line that hasnt yet sprung a leak is a non-negotiable repair that must be done immediately. as soon as the rust forms a pin hole you're going to be needing to brake suddenly and you wont be able to build any pressure in the system to brake for that semi that just turned in front of you.

mention something reasonable like needing to top up your leaky radiator or something.

you've got a bad attitude

I could live with an inspection station that is government run or/even regulated, that offers a test but no mechanical work.

We have them in the UK
search for council MOT station

Dont be stupid enough to go to one that does repairs then. My sister did that last year and they made her get new tyres and brake pads from them, even though they where fine. A garrage that only does MOT's has no reason to fail you, since it's usually free for a retest within a the first few weeks.

>Tiny bit of surface rust
>MAJOR STRUCTURAL RUST AND LEAK OF FLUIDS

It's bullshit and you know it. Are you a scammer that lives off this by any chance? I get all my work done by an independant mechanic that doesn't do MOTs, purely because the MOT stations and garages are run by chancing fucks that charge £55 to make up problems with your car

>Tiny chip in window, on the passenger side, so small I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out
>Fails on SEVERELY DAMAGED WINDSCREEN
>Get Autoglass to epoxy it on my insurance
>Fails me again on "Inadequate and/or dangerous repairs to windscreen"
>Also just happens to have a windscreen guy on location

Here in Germany the inspection stations are third party. Of course the network needs to be built up first, but then it works pretty well towards keeping the roads safer and allowing for higher speed limits in return.

I think it's a great idea; get all the broken rustheaps off the fucking roads.

Works pretty well in the UK, where there's a government-mandated test that has to be done on any vehicle older than 3 years.
This means that any vehicle on the road that's older than 15 years or so starts to get expensive to fix every year if you don't

It also means you can get hold of super-cheap shitboxes for basically nothing because they won't pass another inspection, or just failed one. This means the few that ARE kept alive through good maintenance and sentimental value can get cheap parts.

Find a better mechanic.

>Rural Scotland
>Only one MOT testing mechanic within 30 miles
>Nearest dedicated MOT testing station in 50 miles away

Yeah, I'm going to drive a hundred mile round trip just to get a bullshit test on my pos car

Go to a council MOT station then, they don't do repairs just inspections.

I think it is a good idea, most people will just keep driving their car until it becomes undriveable which can potentially put everyone else at risk.

I do think they are going a bit far with MOTs recently though, failing cars for shit that has no bearing on how safe it is - airbag lights for one. They are also starting to fail cars that have had the DPF (diesel particulate filter) removed if the car was originally fitted with one.

You will always get garages that try to screw you, this is nothing new.

by law brake lines need a thick protective coating. its either painted or has a thick layer of zinc or both. its not just metal, it's a complete system. and evident rust is an indication that it will fail. I dont know about brake lines so much, but much weaker, thinner copper pipes at far lower stresses and pressures in water pipes develop pinholes all the time.

restoring a brake line would involve sanding off the rust which would compromise the wall thickness which isnt really what you want in a hydraulic system.

Ha, your problem isn't everyone else's pal.
Fuck off jock

>No council MOT stations at all in south west scotland

Great idea mate

Actually, brake line coverings of any kind are an MOT advisory (not a fail, but they assume it's hiding something)

>failing cars on emissions
yeah, this isnt a new thing. they'd probably fail a cat delete as well. just service the particulate filter as indicated in the service manual instead.

of course shit doesnt actually work.
>big rigs all fitted with speed limiters and fancy driver logging equipment for compliance
>police can pull over trucks for random compliance check and do it all the time
>be me
>on highway
>gotta go fast
>all the trucks go 10km over the speed limit
>unless you want a chipped windscreen you go the same speed or get stones flicked at your windscreen as they overtake you
>this system clearly does not work

>they should only cover safety though.
that is the way it is in virginia usa (northern va does emissions). I do think its a good idea, as most people think of their cars as appliances and only notice that their brakes are making noise if their radio stops working.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube
I've never seen one without a coating.

In the UK we use plain copper tubing most of the time.

>choose to live in the middle of nowhere
>only garage is shit

This your problem.

The particulate filters are a bastard, they clog and are about £1k for a new one. Most people just got them removed and had the car remapped for more performance and economy when they broke, but this was added to the MOT very recently so a lot of people got fucked.

The system is shit.

>Born in middle of nowhere
>Work on dad's farm
>Make good money selling "organic" eggs to hipsters

Literally the only shit thing about living out here is the terrible mechanics. And the weather.

copper.org/applications/automotive/pdf/a8001.pdf
I hope you're not serious. it needs to be a particular alloy, formed in a particular way. you need to buy it from an automotive supplier and it needs to be sold as brake tubing.
>SAE J527,
ASTM A254 and SMMT C5B
(Society of Motor Manufacturers and
Traders). Also, the alloy meets the
requirements for pressure containment,
fabrication and corrosion
resistance for ISO 4038 (International
Standards Organization) and
SAE J1047.

>The report revealed that steel brake
tubing was highly erratic after 4-6
years in service. It also identified
copper-nickel alloy C70600 tube as
outstandingly superior to conventional
steel brake line tubing
>rust
>on brake lines
>they fail after 6 years
>not a problem bro

So what do they look for in a Virginia inspection?

Nope, generic copper lines on most cars

im a journeyman mechanic and when work was slow earlier this year i did insurance inspections on the side at my house for spare money, you would not believe how many fucking people dont know they have no headlights or the cords out on their tires. i dont agree with annual inspections but theres some fucking stupid people out there

Enjoy your nannystate, I'll enjoy sitting here in the south where there are no inspections and no emissions testing

they only clog if there is either something wrong with your engine or you didnt perform the particulate filter service at the appropriate intervals. the service involves just dumping a small bottle of magic into your tank every couple of ten thousand km. if you're too cheap for this then you need to take it out and wash it.

>replace timing belt on A4 with longitudinal engine
>need to remove bumber
And that's 500€ here

I hope you realize that you will be responsible for deaths. why I dont trust mechanics

>buying used cars
Poorfags.

it's the same thing as treating chromoly, mild steel or cast iron as the same metal and expecting it to work in the same way. one copper alloy is not the same as another. they're also drawn and hardened according to different specifications. it might work in the long term but it's like not replacing a worn belt tensioner with the belt, the belt will just slip and wear out faster so why not just do it right?

>blowing 20% of the value of your car just driving it off the lot

Not a service item in the UK, so the vast majority of people never bother.

Then you get some cars that are geared in such a way that it will never regen at motorway speeds. Vauxhall Zafira for one.

Personally I drive a petrol car.

That's actually what I would charge for that shit. I just did belts for a 2 litre TFI or whatever the fuck that turbo 4 banger piece of shit is. It's fucking horrible I say.

I suggest you do it yourself once if you haven't already and you'll understand too why the steep price.

Brakes: minimum rotor and pad width. no leaks, they work
Headlights: they work, pointed correctly, highbeam indicator works
Signal and brake lights:they work
Steering and suspension: no really bad bushing, broken springs, completely dead shocks. Tie rod ends and ball joints and wheel bearings must be good
Tires must have minimum depth and not be cracked like a desert
Mirrors, rear view and driver rear view
horn :beep beep
windshield no huge cracks. driver side window must go up and down.
wipers and defroster must work
no exhaust leaks, if after 73 all emmissions equipment must be present
license plate must be illuminated
hood: must be able to open, steering and brake fluid must be at acceptable level
drivers seat: needs to be bolted down.
seat belts: must be there and correctly installed
airbag light: must go on.. then off as it should
doors:must open and close and stay closed
fuel system: must not leak, should be approved tank correctly attached to car
floor pan :should not see shop floor when looking through from inside of car. If under car should not be able to see inside of car through floor pan.

I have had a car pass with an abs light on and low steering fluid.

Let me come at you with some perspective from Finland
>Annual inspections for cars
>includes brake-test, smog (exhaust gas), bearings, bushings, rust, suspension, engine mounts, seat belts, lights, windshield wipers, windshield washers, etc.
>used to be mainly by government licensed places, so official as fuck and inspectors were dickwads, if they didn't like your car or even your face, they'd find something to not let you pass
>nowadays a bit more loose, independent inspection stations with licensed staff, a lot of competition so they are pretty brotherly to induce repeat business
>inspection stations are not allowed to sell repairs or repair cars, nor have affiliation with other repair-shops, they're allowed to sell you overpriced bulbs and windshield wipers, but that's about it.

>my latest inspection
>know my cat is kill, so take to a mechanic and tell them to fake my smog
>faked and now have receipt that my car has passed
>take to inspection
>pass everything, but now he spots that my other rear spring has misaligned itself on the plate
>checks other side
>is fine, I redid the lubrication on the bushings in the summer so it's oriented correctly
>checks rear bearings, says they're a bit loose and marks it on my registration that they need to be fixed by certain date
>I ask about the rear spring
>he says that normally he'd fail me for it, but told me that since I know my car and I have a bunch of listed maintenance I DIY'd in the notebook where I had my registration...
>he'll let it slide if I promise to just twist it back on the plate correctly when I tighten the rear bearings
>sweet thanks m8
>we chat, get clean papers, tell him I'll see him next year and drive off
Very pleasant and now I had a car that I know is safe to drive. I think you murican faggets would require this as well, as long as your greedy capitalist shithole doesn't make stupid rules about it. Safe cars = safer traffic.

der this was meant for

>faked smog
You filthy fuck. It's people like you who ruin the planet.

Yeah, I intend on doing it this summer, I know it's a pain in the ass and even more so why it's pricy. But I have to remove my front end anyway to do some repairs, so it's no biggy to do it at the same time.

I don't give a fuck

>Not a service item in the UK
my idiot friend doesnt consider her 10 000km overdue timing belt to be a service item either
it still is necessary and people should look into these things. a cat delete really isnt ever going to be roadworthy because it doesnt actually detract from a dd in any way and there's no reason to get rid of it. just cutting it out isnt a solution when they should just be regenerating it just like its someones own fault if they run out of oil.
its really not that bad. did my 4 banger transverse. shitty engine mount, needed to lift the engine with a jack and slab of wood under the sump to loop it around. it was my first time. took me a day. with an equipped shop and years of daily practice it shouldnt be so ridiculous.

>Steering and suspension
it drives in a straight line at highway speeds

>power steering pump must work
they're not necessary though user. you can drive a car without it. it just requires brute force.

>floor pan
this is easy to repair and kind of important because an exhaust leak can kill with this.

>airbags must work
but user, once the airbags go off, most cars are a writeoff. a set of airbags can cost thousands of dollars for some models. airbags are nice but shouldnt be compulsory.

a new cat is like 100 euros though user. even welded in at an exhaust shop.

>tfw only need a vehicle inspected if it's being registered in your province for the first time
There are some ok things about Alberta

This is importan, In most of europe are run by independent Inspection companies, not the shops so there's no collusion. Tüv Reihnland is not going to get in cahoots with some shitty local shop for a kickback and risk a high fine or losing their license.

Make that 200€ just for the cat. Not worth my time and power loss.

It's stupid.

IL has the best: 96-up OBD2 emissions testing

Not a goddamned thing for 95 and below, baby!

i have the same car and it takes me less than hour to get to the timing belt. i have done it a couple times but its easy as fuck. oh wanna sell me those fat fives

>you can drive a car without it.
Yes, but the car wasn't designed and road licensed to be driven without it. It's integral to the driving characteristics.

Any protips on taking off the bumber?

just take the fog grills off. undo the two bolts holding it and there's some clips on each side and that's it. also don't forget about fog light wires and wiper nozzle tubing. but it's easy

Most of these are legit reasons to fail, you dumb fuck

the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking like being cucked by your government? Well fine go ahead and fork over the $100 every year to feel better about "road safety" or whatever BS your nannystate wants to feed you.

Same with Ontario but they're making the criteria much harder starting this summer. Got a warning light? FAIL, doesn't matter what the warning is. Leaking some oil? FAIL... you get the picture.

I do DPF cleanings for heavy trucks and industrial equipment.

That shit you posted is snake oil.

It's not going to get your EGTs high enough. We use 2500f oxy-propane flame to do it properly.

When we did away with inspections, road deaths per travel mile didn't increase, so I don't think they are worth it.

Nope nope nope.

>how to jew people out of money 101

Currently we have inspections when there is a transfer of ownership (Newfoundland and Labrador btw). And the Auto Industries Association and local dealer associations are sounding the alarm and lobbying for annual inspections because

"Currently, Newfoundland and Labrador does not require vehicle owners to get regular inspections.

In a statement, the association said the province is the only one in Canada without such legislation."

what a crock of shit..

>the service involves just dumping a small bottle of magic into your tank every couple of ten thousand km.

Oh dear, any other bottles of "magic" you actualy think work? I have one here you van have for only $15 that will increase your car's power by 37.8% for the next 5000km.

yeah but my point was that they just made up the problems. like the non-existent oil leak just because the engine bay wasnt spotless. I'd redone the head, gasket set, seals and welsch plugs 6 months ago and cleaned the sump pan and transmission pan to be spotless and painted. any kind of fucking oil leak would show not just a random guess that some grease in the engine bay meant the engine was leaking.

or how he fucked my door. UN/SAE global standard for doors is that the door latch must operate in such a way that if you manually engage it while the door is open, it wont close. he fucking engaged it then bashed the door repeatedly trying to get it to close which misaligned it.

>brake fluid dirty
brake fluid was clean. i flushed it when i got home and it came out clear out of every caliper, ran a liter of brake fluid through it.

they were just trying to scam me for major servicing.

>cleans heavy trucks
>doesnt have a chemical cleaning tank
please stop breaking trucks user. you are melting the catalyst doing that. you're breaking the DPFs not cleaning them.

it's actually in the service manuals and how the dealers reccomend you clean them on passenger diesels. so I dont know what you're talking about.

some additives do actually work. like fuel system cleaner works but not how the bottle says. it emulsifies water in the petrol tank, doesnt clean shit. should still use it for that purpose.

diesel trucks are actually fitted with diesel exhaust fluid injection systems. so a blocked filter is an indication of a malfunctioning DEF system. not sure if mandatory in your country but they are mandatory in australia. the urea systems are mandatory in USA as well. are you in somalia?

here are some videos of non-destructive processes being used to clean filters. hitting them with a blowtorch is as good as just coring them out to turn them into a straight pipe.

youtube.com/watch?v=QEowr2J8vWE
youtube.com/watch?v=3yQ3WN2B2Us
youtube.com/watch?v=RpPLSryPw78

Virginia

failed because I put 5k hids in my fucking factory projector housing. failed because my stop tech braided lines don't say dot on every single one. failed because of coilovers that aren't standard. failed because of LED tag lights. failed because of 'excessive negative camber (camber is fixed on Audi b5 unless you spend $450 on adjustable control arms) fuck this state !!!

wow that's ruthless. what did you do?

nothing so far. it expires at the end of this month. I wasn't paying for a rejection sticker so ill probably leave it while I take it to Chicago and I'll be there a couple months. I have maintained every part of this car with better parts and it fails but some piece of shit car at any used car dealer can get a inspection sticker slapped on it with bald tires bad brakes and a all around pos. this state is only after money.

>'Murka should do this as well.
Not the country as a whole, but plenty of states do vehicle inspections already. Largely ineffective I think. I live in Tennessee. As long as you have a side mirror on the driver's side, a visible license plate, and all of your exterior lights work and are the correct color, nobody gives a fuck. Seat belts though, those are a huge thing. I'm missing the chest part on my passenger side, say fuck it I'll replace it later since I don't have passengers all that much. Few times I have though, police are all over my ass screeching about the passenger not wearing a seatbelt. Then I show them the lap belt. They say, "Oh, well, that's fine then." and fuck off. You could even skimp on the mirror and half of the lights and you PROBABLY won't get too much shit for it as long as the cops don't get bored, even then most give you a warning. If you do get a ticket you just buy bulbs or whatever and take the receipt to the local police department with the ticket and they'll drop it. They're supposed to make sure you actually fixed the bulbs, but most of the fat fucks can't be bothered to step into the parking lot for a second. Anyway, I'm about a thirty minute drive from the Virginia border. I can take the leakiest rustiest piece of shit my home state will allow on the road (if you haven't been paying attention: we only require a visible license plate, working exterior lights of the correct color, a side mirror on the driver's side, and seat belts.) and put around Virginia all day. Hell, I could stay there for years and never have to deal with their inspections. I'd just have to say shit about being there for work or whatever. So anyway, because it's not required by the federal gub'ments, it's fairly useless I think for just the state gub'ments to make you do an inspection because there's always a way around it.

Shit like this. This is why inspections are a terrible fucking idea. These are stupid reasons to fail a vehicle.

>needing vehicles to be safe
>not needing the freedom to drive whatever scrapheap you've got into the ground

>stop tech braided lines
>arnt labelled dot
yes they are. unless you didnt buy from a reliable supply line. in which case you have counterfeit hoses. dont buy high pressure hydraulic hoses that your life depends on outside of the supply chain. that is stupid. or do, what do i care about less idiots in the world.

>headlights failed with after market bulbs
again, trying to save a few dollars on chinkypoo shit is stupid. they dont care about the light color, they care about the light pattern. they have special equipment to check the light pattern. cheap import over 9001w equivalent bulbs cause glare and are dim.

I know it's stupid but the laws are UN/SAE standard. the bulbs determine the design rules and the lights need to be an exact type of bulb for compliance. you can get LED bulbs but they need to be SAE compliant bulbs from a reputable manufacturer that has had them aproved. this is to assure minimum and maximum illumination thresholds.

>coilovers arnt standard
do they comply with the design of the car though? maybe they failed you for putting ones in that negatively affect the ride handling characteristics of the car.

they are stop tech but I accidentally cut one of the dot sleeves off. my hid bulbs are h7 in factory halogen projectors. the coilovers are jom brand made in Germany and they are tuv approved. and raised all the way up.

and they didnt check any light pattern, just took the bulb cover off and saw they were HID. they put my fucking car on a lift trying to find shit to fail me for. they said they could of failed me for having a timing belt cover off which I had at home.. I took my toyota camry to the same place (no cat, bad brakes) and they just looked at the engine bay and passed it. these inbred shops have a thing against audis im convinced.

Well duh, if you've got an Audi that means you have money, and that means they can pull this kind of shit because you'll have to pay for it.
Easy money.

doesnt help that im 19 and probably look car illiterate to them. they were also bitching about failing it because they thought it was too low to go on their shitty ass old lift made for fucking trucks. fuck them. im actually quite broke though

No it will be bundy tube.

>
>>Not a service item in the UK
>my idiot friend doesnt consider her 10 000km overdue timing belt to be a service item either
>it still is necessary and people should look into these things. a cat delete really isnt ever going to be roadworthy because it doesnt actually detract from a dd in any way and there's no reason to get rid of it. just cutting it out isnt a solution when they should just be regenerating it just like its someones own fault if they run out of oil.
>
>its really not that bad. did my 4 banger transverse. shitty engine mount, needed to lift the engine with a jack and slab of wood under the sump to loop it around. it was my first time. took me a day. with an equipped shop and years of daily practice it shouldnt be so ridiculous.
>
>
>but user, once the airbags go off, most cars are a writeoff. a set of airbags can cost thousands of dollars for some models. airbags are nice but shouldnt be compulsory.

If your car has had an impact hard enough to deploy airbags it's probably fucked anyway

SCR (Adblue) is just one method of achieving euro4 or 5 standard, a lot if European makes use EGR instead of SCR.

Also you don't hit the DPF with a blowtorch, you just pour half a cup of paint thinner down it and set it alight. This only works on some filters though.

my euro cunt has mandatory inspections, starting at 4 years old, then 6, 8, 9, 10... for personal vehicles, taxis yearly, commercial vehicles and trailers as well

gives me a peace of mind knowing that 99% of other traffic is compliant to the requirements i.e. technically safe

the test itself consists of measuring braking forces for hydraulic and e-brakes, headlight beams, tyre tread depth, emmissions measurements, working lights, horn, 1st aid kit, spare tyre and intactness of the windshield, proper suspension

if a cop doubts you have non-homologated items installed, the can send you to an irregular inspection where the staff looks for modifications like non-homologated spoilers, suspension springs, de-cats, engine swaps (of different type than originally installed like higher displacement etc), headlight conversions, LPG conversions, improper tyre sizes, exhausts; I should emphasize that pretty much all of these can be homologated