Traffic Laws

I'm taking a defensive driving course to expunge my speeding ticket. I am learning a lot.

"Do not flash your bright lights to signal that you want to pass. It is illegal to flash your bright lights when following a vehicle closer than 350 feet."
I didn't know this was illegal and it doesn't make sense to me

>Peculiar traffic laws thread

>being an irresponsible driver and then paying money for traffic school so you can learn common sense

In Texas, we have a speed limit system called "Prima Facie", which basically means that if you can convince a judge that it wasn't unreasonable for you to go over the posted speed limit at the time of the citation, you can get away with going faster than the speed limit.

Course, you gotta convince a judge/jury of that...

So what? I'm not perfect. It's better than having a ticket on my record.

ive never heard of flashing your lights from behind people to let them know you want to pass. that might be a more local to your area thing
I have heard of flashing oncoming traffic to let them know there's a cop ahead, people do it alot around here, saves tons of speeding tickets.

In Michigan, its illegal to have your brights on within 500 feet of another car either behind you or in front of you. I assume this is the case in other states. It makes sense though, I hate people on the highway who just leave their brights on.

It's more of a BMW thing.

>No, not like that. First you set your indicator and then you flash your lights!

>son why were you going 107 in a 65
>SONICS THE NAME SPEEDS MY GAME GOTTA GO FAST
>...makes sense to me, case closed

That's fucking dumb. It's literally the best way to signal to pass on 1 lane interstates and shit.

I wish.
I'm going to TRY and use that defense to see if I can get out of a $300 speeding ticket I got a couple days ago.
I was doing waaaay over, but it was on a 3 lane highway, at 1PM on a sunny as fuck Texas day. Visibility in excess of 3 miles, and I never get so close to a car I don't have time to brake.

>It's literally the best way to signal to pass
Except for .. you know ... your fucking signals.

when i was in germany on the auto bahn youre supposed to flash lights or honk your horn to signal you are trying to pass. but try doing that here in burgerland and theyll just brake check you like a fucking dumbass

They're literally called passing lights in a few car manuals. My old Chrysler referred to moving the high beam stick away from the driver (doesn't hold them on, just flashes them) as passing lights.

>don't flash your lights to pass

How in the shit am I supposed to inform some dipshit soccer mom in the fast lane that you'd like to go faster than five under the limit?

I flash my lights on a hwy if I want someone to move over. But apparently it's illegal so I won't anymore - maybe. Idk if it's a nationwide thing or just a state thing. I also learned passing on the right is not illegal as long as it's clear.

>when i was in germany on the auto bahn youre supposed to flash lights or honk your horn to signal you are trying to pass.
That's a load of fucking bullshit.

t. German

>not having a center mounted hidden passing light

>some asshole wants to pass me
>blinds me first
I didn't ask for this

I don't usually flash my lights to signal I want to pass, I just turn on the left blinkers.

that's what most people did to me, and I read it somewhere while I was there , so

>flashing your lights and/or honking to signal passing
>not using you blinkers

Literally fucking why?

t. Lithuanian

>that's what most people did to me
Should've stopped blocking the left lane all the time then, you fucking moron.

>crossovers behind me with their highbeams on 24/8
Erry fucking day, at least one of them
>pull off to the side of the road, tailgate them with my highs
>they try to speed up
>they can't go faster than a 120hp bile

>getting tail gated by dude with high beams
>have to dip rear view mirror
also the light bloom makes it harder for anyone to see any thing
including the high beams all the time guy

flashing lights
>whos this cunt blinding me from behind better speed up
indicators
>ok this guy wants to pass me better allow him to do so safely

this is how you get boxed in. I do this as a matter of principle for aggressive drivers.
>see lane jumping faggot zipping through traffic
>lets slow you down cunt

user, boxing people in is the definition of aggressive/antisocial driving.

>Lack of empathy
Check. They could be rushing to the hospital to see their child born, you dick.
>Causes a dangerous situation
Check.
>Ultimately slows the flow of traffic
Check.

An officer having a bad day could and would pull you over and cite/ticket you for that shit sooner than they would give a ticket to mr. six over.

>implying that piece of shit can pass anybody

There is a special place in hell reserved for assholes like you.
>hurr durr, ima honorary traffic cop, respect muh authority

not my fault my rental clio diesel was slower than a 911 and rs4 estate and I did get over dick head

Why were you in their way in the first place

Left turn signal if you don't live in the UK or Japan.

It informs that you want to pass on the left.

Why the fuck were you in the fast lane with a Clio, are you retarded?

Whats the point of that, just let them pass you so you can avoid having a dangerous driver be around you.

I feel like most people that rage while driving just need to turn up the music and stop giving so much of a fuck.

first time driving in germany, 130 kmh for two hours and suddenly i saw the no speed limit sign and the second after they flashed me and flew past me on the right.