Why are hatchbacks fwd? Im being serious

Why are hatchbacks fwd? Im being serious

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MXyD1SGaiiE
youtube.com/watch?v=3VwgvIqXg3A
youtube.com/watch?v=dfsdSItZWJE
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they're economy cars and it's cheaper to build them fwd due to a shorter drivetrain and improved snow performance without the expense of awd.

When Ford went to make a high performance hatchback, they went AWD.

feminization of society

FWD is fine

>t. i bought a fiesta ST instead of a mustang because my overbearing vegan girlfriend wouldn't let me get a horrible earth-killing gas guzzler

Besides this There's also the fact that smaller hatchbacks are supposed to be roomy for their size. If they were RWD, there would be a big transmission tunnel through the center of the car, and the floor in the trunk is normally raised up to accommodate a rear diff (which can also mess with fuel tank placement).

To be honest with you i think hatchbacks being fwd is pretty alright

because you are dumb like really dumb

Because if you make it RWD you may as well make it into a wagon, which is also fine

because its cheap
whenever i think fwd i think cost cutting and engineers constrained by beancounters

Because hatchbacks that are RWD get rid of the reason you buy one.

Cargo space.

And they're shit performance wise

As
said.

A good IRL example is the European market BMW 1-series hatchback and the MK5 Volkswagen Golf. Both were compared numerous times... and a large chunk of those comparisons had the FWD/AWD Golf winning. Cargo space, rear seat room. All compromised because RWD.
Examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=MXyD1SGaiiE
youtube.com/watch?v=3VwgvIqXg3A

I wonder how RWD hatches would handle to be honest

I agree I think hatchbacks are better as FWD

But an E36 BMW 318Ti and find out

>talking to sister in law
>Talking about FWD and RWD
>she seriously thought FWD meant the front wheels did the steering and RWD meant the rear wheels did the steering.

>girlfriend

Still doing better than me friendo.

I just want to die

mostly the rear suspension gets in the way
I don't really think the transmission tunnel is a big deal

you don't like drifting ?
too bad fuck you

I've got my own system
1+ if you figure it out
TFF -Fiat 127
LFR -Fiat 124
LRR- Fiat 126
TMR- Fiat X19
LMR- Lamborghini diablo sv
LM4- Lamborghini diablo vt

name a japanese hatchback that's better than the 86

Are FWD drives really front wheel drives? Call me a retard, but I still have a hard time imagining a car's front wheels spinning while the back wheels remain inert when you accelerate

Any type r Honda

It's a bigger deal than you would think with how it robs space. Yes, FWD cars have a middle hump in the floor. This is often small because it's only used for exhaust and wiring/brake piping. The shaft has to get wider when you want to fit a driveshaft in there too. Once the power is at the back, the rear end/suspension doesn't HAVE to be in the way (example: AMC Gremlin), but then you don't have a very good handling suspension.

MK4, 5, 6 and 7 Golfs are a bit awkward as they have a larger than normal center hump to send power to the back, but still small enough to not matter much. What does differ between the FWD and RWD variants is the floorpan specific to the trunk/hatch/cargo area, which is mainly due to the way the gas tank mounts. The rear suspension of the AWD model looks just like the FWD rear suspension but with a differential housing added and mounts up the same way, preventing it from getting in the way. The is a loss of space in the AWD Golfs, but it's miniscule as it only affects the spare tire well. FWD Golfs can have a full size spare, but the AWD models can only have a small space save because of space for the rear diff and gas tank.

TFF: Transverse Front engine Fwd
LFR: Longitudinal Front engine Rwd
LRR: Longitudinal Rear engine Rwd
TMR: Transverse Mid engine Rwd
LMR: Longitudinal Mid engine Rwd
LM4: Longitudinal Mid engine 4wd.

And one ya missed:
LFF: Longitudinal Front engine Fwd - Chrysler Concorde

You is retard.
youtube.com/watch?v=dfsdSItZWJE

In this video, you can clearly see the cameratard thought the car was RWD before reality set in.

I used to think this as well

Found the fast n furious kiddie

I missed a few more
good thing I don't keep track of the gear box position

LMF-citroen traction avant

That happened? jesus I would be so mad if i needed to get a lot of luggage in the back