Anybody wheeling this weekend?

>tfw only one more day left

Other urls found in this thread:

tucson.craigslist.org/pts/5523780567.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sIexQBNl7iM
youtube.com/watch?v=oVtiRcDojbE
japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-mitsubishi-pajero/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw my XJ has been on the road (in a shop) for about a month now and I haven't been wheelin yet

I don't know a better place for this question and I definitely don't want to make a seperate thread;

is this winch worth buying?
tucson.craigslist.org/pts/5523780567.html

or does it look like shit?

How are the new Rav4s for off-roading?

I need something that's comfy for a daily driver for my bad back, but the more I see my cousin off-roading in his FJ the more I'm interested in doing it.

Look at that clearance from the ground and the low profile tires. The one in pic related at least will be shit, bouncy and probably automatic

Make damn sure it works, but that's a heluva deal. Replace that cable with nylon.

Well then

What would be some options that could do light off-roading, but also have comfy seats, a nice ride, and are easy to get in and out of? Or does that not exist.

definitely if it works

44" or nothing
PATROL VELDIƐ

I wish. Another week til finals are over, then I'm getting back to wrenching on my 80 and hopefully taking it to Flagstaff or Utah for some camping before the summer is over.

>not even on 46"

I know, it's hard not having high-flotation IROKs with all this snow here in AZ

>>drove through some wet grass in my 2wd s10 today.

I wanna get a k5 blazer at some point on the near future.

How does the heat not kill you?

Just bought a 1st gen Montero today, any recommendations on what tires to invest in?

Size will be P235/75R15

could Veeky Forums recommend me some good AT tires? I will be driving 80-90% highway and dirt country roads 10-20% offroad and lumberjack trails.

I'm already dead inside.

Really though, I just suck it up and use driving gloves like everyone else. Sun shades help a lot.

Really depends on what you want and what your price range is. Duratracs are a good all-around tire, and some folks like TA/KOs for that purpose. If you want more off-road performance at the expense of (not too bad) noise, MT/Rs and KM2s are nice, with the MT/R being more popular.

wtf kind of pussy ass offroading are you planning on doing because you sound like a princess

looks cool but that would be unnecessary as fuck for the majority of my use

nice, what do you have left to do?

i love k5s
theyre so ugly and brutal

just get k02s
theyre the most popular tire for a reason.
depending on your use though you may want to get a lift so you can fit bigger tires than that.

what do you mean by "light off roading?" if you mean cleared dirt roads and gravel the rav 4 will be fine. anything more than that and youd be much better with something else.
there are plenty of 4x4s with nice interiors do some research you faggot

Thanks guys, Montero bro here.

I'll probably go with the KO2's. I'm probably only going to get to go offroading about once a month, so I'll want some fuel efficiency for the rest of the time.

yeah that makes the most sense for your use then.
people also forget to take road noise into account a lot of the time when buying offroad tires and k02s ride pretty close to street tires.
i had a set of nitto trail grapplers at one point and while they were amazing offroad you had to literally yell in the truck in order to hear the other person
was ridiculous

what kind of transfer case do you get with those monteros?

A whole lot of miscellaneous stuff really. New TV cable bracket for the trans, fuel tank mounts, exhaust repair, coolant flush, checking over the motor.. A few weeks of work. And I busted my front locker's air line recently! Even if I don't have time to travel working on the truck will be a nice break.

Heck yeah. Warn winches are pretty much the standard. Just make sure that it's rated at around 1.5x the weight of your rig for safety.

/org/ nub here

So, I just bought a 2016 Tacoma. Nothing special, absolute base model utility package, 2x4, 4cyl... (I bought it because I need a motorcycle mothership)

On a scale of 1-10 how boned am I if I ever want to do some mild offroading? We're talking "rough-ish logging roads and muddy trails" not rock crawling. I'm not a dipshit.

I've heard people say as long as I shell out on some nice tires and maybe a winch I should be good to go, as long as I don't get cocky about the capabilities of 2WD. Sound about right to you guys?

If you have a diff locker and good tires, you should be able to get through almost anything short of crawling and bogging.

A locker will keep you out of a lot of shit, absolutely worth the investment.

if your lumberjack trails are anything close to russian, kazakhstan trails than you definately need a 4x4.

Well, given I feel like I'm being stabbed when I get in and out of both of my current cars, and I have a difficult time getting in and out of lifted trucks/4x4s, I was seeing if there'd be any suitable middle ground. I don't know, off-roading seemed appealing since I wanted to start hunting and camping again, but I don't think I'll be able to do that.

I guess not, which is fine... I don't know what I expected.

Should have spent the extra money on the 4x4 bro. Youve got a front weight bias vehicle with rear wheel drive

just dont lift your truck lol

sorry to hear about the issues youre having, but this user is right. you can get any decent 4x4 that meets your height requirement, put on some nice tires and just leave it at the stock height. that will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

I'm likely trading my Series III Land Rover for a Mitsubishi L200.

Is there a standard set of preparations that people usually do to these trucks?

So far I am decided on
- Changing the front/rear bumpers to metal ones
- Adding a sump plate
- Spot lights for night driving
- Maybe changing the wheel arches to wider ones if I get taller tyres.

I want better offroad capability, but mostly protection.
I don't want to go crazy. I don't need stupid wide tyres and big lifts, but I think I will need a lift to fit taller tyres.

Any advice regarding my plans? And maybe how to move forward with the lift thing. Do I need new springs or just extension blocks?

In regards to the lift, it depends what you want. Are you looking for more suspension travel or just more ride height?

Blocks give you more ride height and the option for bigger tires, but your max travel/flex will remain the same, or possibly decrease depending on just how big your new tires are

Not very good

youtube.com/watch?v=sIexQBNl7iM

Official Top Gear Hilux spotted

youtube.com/watch?v=oVtiRcDojbE

pic related

>tfw my 4runner is the base model and has 15'' rims and 225/75r15

>tfw too poor to lift, regear, add 33's, arb bumper, winch, rear tire carrier bumper with jerry can mount, gobi stealth roof rack, rooftop tent and go on an expedition

Do one thing at a time, and start with the most useful thing first. Check out Ronny Dahls modified videos, a lot of great tips there

Thanks bro. I've started by getting recovery points and basic recovery gear. The truck is suprisingly capable, but the ground clearance at the rear diff is definitely lacking

I want to add a winch and bumper, but then I need new springs to hold the weight, which would require a lift, and it creates a domino effect.

oh and some things i forgot to add to my list:

>lockers, rock sliders, underbody protection

Ronny Dahl is pretty much my favorite channel on youtube at the moment, that and 4xOverland

Pic is my 4runner

>tucson
TucTown here...

Ever go up the Oracle Control Road to Mt. Lemmon?

Wow, hard to believe the same company that makes the 4 runner and the taco cant make a capable crossover

nice ride, good starting point and nice trips

Not to mention land cruiser and hilux. But the rav4 isnt meant for anything other than asfalt, really, maybe with some wet leaves on it if you wanna really push it.

I don't think I need more flex than stock, but I'm not opposed to it either.

My Land Rover is on factory leafs and taller heavy truck tyres.
There is very little flex compared to more modern coiled ones and it still goes over anything I've encountered.

why is everyone in these threads always so nice
stay based /org

Unfortunately, ORG is often too dead for us to be mean to each other.

Bretty excite though, found an 07 Xterra with a 6speed and 4x4 in the area for a decent price, gonna go out and look at it soon. Really would like to have it, they don't pop up often here.

I've been talking with a friend who's a big vag fan and he tells me the touareg is just as capable offroading as a land cruiser or a pajero. He was bold enough to say it's as good as the gclass, defender and uaz. How much truth is there in his bullshit?

>anons offroading in LWB

wew do you carry shovels to constantly dig yourselves out?

kek with like 100inch body lift

nice lift

he said it can go from 190 to 300mm of clearance. That's way more than the unadjustable 225mm of my prado and pajero. He said that the monocoque frame of the vw was also better constructed than that of a pajero, which I also believe is bullshit.

I have to drive down south academy in CO springs, that's almost as good.

>potholes literally seven inches deep everywhere

I live in kazakhstan. That's the main reason I drive a 4x4. Our best road is a lumpy mess. Our average roads have potholes that look like they formed from artillery fire. Worst roads are literally logging trails.

forgot to add that this is probably the best place in a thousand mile radius.

yesterday I was driving during the night in heavy rain. I drive through a puddle which formed in the lumpy asphalt. My windscreen is literally covered in a thick layer of water. Through this film of water I see a dim pair of headlights appear from around the bend. Mind you everything else is pitch black. I start braking carefully trying to follow the bend of the road. abs kicks in, I hit the road border with my front tire and quickly straightened out and finally managed to stop my vehicle.

I just wanted to go to the supermarket so I could bake a cake

lol thats the truth. these threads usually last 4-5 days.
i think its like the same 4 regulars and thats it

but thtas awesome man my buddy has one, same year and everything. everybody loves to shit on them for the glass diff but its really not that bad. my friend hasnt had a single issue and he spends a lot of time in pretty technical terrain

IFS and IRS. The touareg is a shoppingcart.

>unibody
youd do just as well in any crossover
really shittily

>medium wheel base masterrace

japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-mitsubishi-pajero/

o-oh god im cumming someone buy it pls

Just get an xj jeep cherokee user (needs to be 4L I6), it has decent clearance stock and has enough power to do "light" off roading such as mudding and doing runs through fields. Also it's comfy as fuck on the inside. Obviously you'll need to upgrade it with a lift and maybe more power if you want to get serious about off roading.

I'm jealous of you guys right now there really isn't any offroading or mudding here and the closest actual trail is almost 4 hours away. Feelsbadman

The only good 4x4 with a VW badge on it is the VW Taro.

so is the pajero and discovery. The h1 is independent all around as well.

but y

>he said it can go from 190 to 300mm of clearance
>He said that the monocoque frame of the vw was also better constructed than that of a pajero
Ask for a citation.

Literally best small 4x4 you can buy new

>Its load level ground clearance is at 6.3 in (160 mm), Off Road Level is at 9.6 in (244 mm), and Xtra clearance of 11.8 in (300 mm).[2]

from wikipedia

regarding the frame, those things are fucking shrouded in mystery. I have no idea what the torsional stiffness is for any of the unibody offroaders except for the range rover 35000 nm/degree.

>driving on a premade course

thats because there are almost no other small 4x4 options that you can purchase new
quit being a faggot and get a used samurai if you want small

also
>no transfer case
>4x4
>implying that piece of shit even counts in the first place

The Jimny/Samurai is still available in other markets. Same as the Vitara (shame the new Vitara is a crossover piece of shit).

At least that crappy Fiat has a centre difflock like the original Rav4s... even if it lacks a low range.

nice jeep

you look like the type of guy who always wears those really bad technical fleeces with the company he works for logo at all over it

meant

So far my WJ has never failed me. It is completely stock. I plan on butchering my fenders and replacing the suspension with a 4 inch IRO lift soon, though and trying to fit 31s. Only problem I consistently have is ground clearance, but I've yet to get it hung up.

I just bought a 1990 toyota pickup 4x4 off my grandma (pick related but not mine) and I was wondering how to get into the world of offroading. I have literally zero experience with going off road as ive lived in the city most of my life.

I was wondering if the truck i just bought is a capable specimen and what I should do first to get into the offroading scene.

looks like Jeremy Renners fat older brother.

FUCK i want a patrol so bad. why does america have to be sucha tight butthole. that one is perfect >picrelated
I would put a big turbo and blow off valve on
and wear a turben just to add aesthetic

Opinions on the 2016 montero/pajero sport on it's off road capabilities?

get the pajero nx

iktf bro
i love my 80 series but i would sell my left nut for a patrol like the OP with a turbodiesel

used tacomas, used 4runners

/thread

Great at everything besides rock crawling.
Its based on the L200 which has been the most popular pickup for offroading in Europe for the last decade and a half.

;)

thanks senfpie

>tfw running 33s on stock springs

holy shit i didnt even notice the jeep in the background, i meant the fiat\renegade

Probably 3 wheelings on some local mounds in my 90s chrysler shit box some more

33s seem to fit p well at stock height but you get any rubbing that way? im currently running 35s with a 3 inch lift no rubbing at all

The correct choice

Lol shitty has mileage

name a capable rig that is able to hold enough gear for a few people that doesnt have shitty mpg
>implying you can faggot

>440
>np435 4speed
>NP 205 case
>Dana 70 front and rear
>4.88 gears
>manual steering

Shits gonna be good

that thing is glorious godspeed user

>looks cool but that would be unnecessary as fuck for the majority of my use
only good for snow

Just bought pic related AWD, I also own a Tacoma. But the next hunting trip I really want to impress my friends. How does it compare to a AWD Tacoma, also this thing cost $55k which isn't that much money but I don't want to damage it regardless.

are you having a laugh m8?

hard to tell since that one faggot was actually serious about offroading his fiat..