/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

previous jej: (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)
Embed Cross-thread Corneroids general edition

The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise:

Corneroids, Space Engineers, Starmade, Avorion, From the Depths, Factorio, REM, Robocraft, Machinecraft, Garry's Mod, Homebrew, Besiege, Infinifactory, Scrap Mechanic, GearBlocks, and anything else welcome. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

Space Engineers:
>spaceengineersgame.com
>SpEngies for retards: i.imgur.com/IZekrGe

StarMade:
>star-made.org
>youtube.com/watch?v=7YyxsW_2xmo
Server: NASSzone
IP: nasszone.com:4242

Avorion
>avorion.net/
>/egg/ approved server: 149.202.65.190

From the Depths:
>fromthedepthsgame.com
>/egg/heim idea bin: pastebin.com/Tmk14sf2

Factorio:
>factorio.com/
>guide.factorio.com/index.html
>steamcommunity.com/groups/eggtorio

REM:
>www.remproject.wordpress.com
>youtube.com/channel/UCzp2XM98-FcFWAqhFjnxSbg

Robocraft:
>robocraftgame.com

Machinecraft:
>hrpbk2 wix com / machinecraft
>upload/download designs at filescase.com
>TT Mech template: www.mediafire.com/download/0aalnmvvyvm75sq/TT-Mech-Template.rar
>Helpful starter guide: youtube.com/watch?v=iLVnW5exF3Q

Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>store.steampowered.com/app/325420/
>homebrewgame.com/

Besiege:
>store.steampowered.com/app/346010/
>youtube.com/watch?v=n-aG7E9gTNI

Infinifactory:
>zachtronics.com/infinifactory

Scrap Mechanic:
>store.steampowered.com/app/387990/

Robot Arena 2:
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=5

KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/

Other urls found in this thread:

tvguide.co.uk/tv-stream/?ch=bbc 2
bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo
lmgtfy.com/?q=bbc two live
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What color is CLANG?

Scrap Mechanics is still Crap Mechanics

The colour of blood

Tastes like strawberry.

>plane can't take off from the ground
>make a ramp so it can taxi to the beginning of the track
>it always ends up not aligning properly and either making a very awkward takeoff or just killing itself on the launch ramp
Welp

Think I messed up suspension settings again. Really friction (tire pressure) and some other stuff should be separated, it's just way too tedious to adjust even with each wheel marked.

Also thanks to packet loss (don't listen to music on youtube while hosting a server, kids) this thing is unplayable in multiplayer. I'll have to postpone my survival server globe trotting ride.

This looks successful enough to me.

Friction feels messed up, it's like the force is constant instead of proportional to the force pushing the wheel to the ground.
That said, I still love wheeled vehicles.
Do they still randomly lose wheels or did they fix it?

I guess I should give the plane a rudder

>The 'driver's saddle' seat is an odd number of blocks wide
I swear to fucking christ

>Do they still randomly lose wheels or did they fix it?
Occasionally yeah, but it's more to suspension travel being set incorrectly. Problems I'm having in multiplayer (160 ping + lag spikes) is it handles differently from my creative prototype, gyroscopes do nothing and you have to pretty much override downforce thrust to max to keep it pinned, otherwise you won't have time to hold down C in time. No matter your shock absorber rigidity you will be flipped if you hit a small bump in the ice at 500 km/h.

If you have enough shit on screen, randomly you will hear a sound like you have pushed a button, and suddently wheels go on its own.

Oh man if only you could build a real supressor in spengies, you could use it to tunnel through mountains without any drills. You just can't get more durable than one solid block of deformable polygons.

It was made specifically because players wanted a smaller drivers seat.

Well I'm gonna try it anyway, will probably need airtight doors to keep the cockpit hidden but accessible inside the armor.

it was made that way for bikes you dumb fuck, you should be angry there is no odd engine

Oh so it's literally the same thing as the other seat? Well that means it's pointless for what I was testing anyway, since I was going to see if it made rotators facing forwards turn forwards like you'd expect them to when you press fucking forwards.
I just want to be able to modify inputs, not have an aneurysm.

explain your problem? are you connecting wheels to the seat?

Just use the regular vehicle measurements to have good ground clearance and also the best angle of attacks possible.

>you should be angry there is no odd engine
Thanks for reminding you asshole.
>no proper pistons
>no odd engines
>still no logic blocks

I'm the guy trying to make working tank steering, which I can do, but so far at the price of having any way of driving straight forwards.
If there was a way of making each rotator (the ones activating the engine sensors) have a certain input override the other, then I'd only need two and could go forwards by holding both left and right (i.e. how tank steering normally works in games like this).

Does anyone have a working sensor setup for this I can steal? I just wanted to attempt caterpillar tracks but this is distracting me right now.

It'll probably need large grid for airtight doors or I'll just put a cockpit at the back where it can be easily entered.

You have mods for small block airtight doors?

Nope I'm a vanilla man.

What's the fastest speed a spengi achieved on land, successfully stopping the vehicle afterwards without crashing?

I sort of want to see how fast wheels can go with aerodynamics mod on.

when are physics games gona use each cpu core in parallel for every interaction between contraptions?

core 0:base game
core 1:track 1/tank
core 2:track 2/tank

just use 2 bearings per wheel "axle"

Then you will have to go big if you want an airtight interior, or windows, there is also a mod for that.

I'll probably just plop down a cockpit hatch on the back side and fill up the interior with the powerplant stuff. May or may not bother with a working missile turret, I'll need that script which controls the rotors easily.

>steering wheels connected to body with electric motors
>drive wheels connected to steering wheels with engines
>all engines and motors connected to buttons.

nevermind, all on motors. You lose the ability to reverse but you can skid steer and drive forward out of any walls you run into.

Rate my tonks

When that's not a irritatingly oversimplified suggestion?

why is it so hard for you "engineers"?

dead game / 10

its even read the file name

You need a track tensioner.

it is tensioned as you can see on the left side, between the wheel and the wood chasis, whats happening is clang, as you can see on the lower part of the tracks, they are clanging appart

This. The average /egg/ user seems to be dropping in competence compared to prior years.

Not using heavy armour / 10

that's some Gmod wheel shit right there

>/egg/ circa 2009
>"I have just finished the TCU for the new transmission on the Hellcat, and I managed to cut it down to about 15 gates and contained it in the space of 1/4 cubic PHX plates. Automatic neutral steering is now working as fully intended."
>/egg/ circa 2018
>"I can't get tekkit to work"

Even with that design, two moving engines are constantly fighting two stationary engines. It's like driving with your foot on the break.

How long has it been since they implemented these slopes? Why do they still look the same as light armour versions?

my first serious factory

are we done with the FtD material-Gate ? who won ?

truly IQ is getting lower and lower, im totally baffled right now, we should set a minimum IQ required to post in /egg/, dont worry, no minimum IQ to lurk tho

>drop in skill
Interesting. How do you measure that ? Any valuable data to share ?

actually I'm retarded and picked light armou

BUT there's still no texture on the top (from this perspective) other than the default light armour gray.

>previous jej: (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)
>(Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)

>Embed Cross-thread Corneroids general edition

Its okay, you tried. Reading comprehension isn't for everyone.

>le everything is a meme meme

I don't care.

(embed)

>I don't care about a basic life skill taught to everyone as children

Clearly.

Hook, line, and sinker.

This colour

Is there a mod that like, incentivizes me to try and launch away from earth and mine asteroids and moons in Spengies? Some kinda dumb progression system that is anti-engineering in some circles? IDK what I'm asking for.

Robot wars in half an hour

?

Hopefully i got the webm right

> JUST USE MORE CORES
You have no idea how fucking difficult it is to get get multithreading to work, particularly with something as complex and often black-boxed as physics. It's not as simple as telling the compiler to use multiple cores. You also have to deal with the fact that two things trying to access the same thing at once can result in all kinds of fuckery, so you have to use locks, mutexes, and all kinds of other shit to ensure one thread has exclusive access to the memory space in question. This effectively means that any thread that tries to access that same variable or whatever is paused until the thread that has exclusivity is done with it and releases the lock.

You might as well be saying, "JUST PUT THAT JET ENGINE IN MY VOLKSWAGEN, SHOULD BE EASY"

>randomly decide to install bobs+marathon+angels

Someone wake me up from this nightmare

you made your bed
now lay in it

When it werks it werks.

R A Z E R

where can i watch it

>wanting to stay on land
The incentive should be already inside yourself, user.
But it's easier to mine asteroids.
Also Exploration enhancement mod spawns more npcs in space, but trading doesn't work because keen code.

When it doesn't work it really doesn't work

Nice.
Do you have atmospheric drag mod?
If yes, what multiplier are you using?

tvguide.co.uk/tv-stream/?ch=bbc 2

To user who was asking if he should switch to Factorio 0.13. Singleplayer performance is fine, havent had a single crash so far.
Some of the most noticeable changes are actually not well explained in the changelog, possibly because i switched from .13 from .12.10:
>Oil pumps now can go to 0.0 oil/s. They still seem to produce a little, but much less than before.
>Biters now migrate often and they dont care about player structures anymore. The only way to stop biter expansion is through walls and turrets. I have seen biters set up nests right next to my power lines; they stay passive unless attacked or fed pollution.
>Oh, biters/spitters also come in green "Behemoth" size. Spitters are not a big deal, but biters are tough as fuck and can tank a lot of damage, letting spitters wreck shit. You need much stronger defences, and you need them on every border due to migrations.
>To counter those biters, flamethrower is now upgradeable and comes in turret form.... which needs to be supplied by liquid fuel through pipes.
>Even with flamethrower, biters take ages to kill, but you now just set them on fire and run around them while DoT effect takes them down.
>As of 13.10 the mapgen seems to be fine again. And in 0.13 you get richer resource deposits the further you go from start point. It only becomes noticeable at pretty long distances though.

>Do you have atmospheric drag mod?
No, the game is completely vanilla aside from 250 m/s speed limit for small ships and 350 for large.

?

I'm already comfy user

Try the iPlayer
bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo

/egg/ robot wars server when? Build a simple space station with infinite resources, anons come in, built drones and settle it in the ring.

>only in united cucks
why is this even a thing on the internet?

Fucking Christ, I don't know, try another
lmgtfy.com/?q=bbc two live

they made 10% the minimum for oil patches so 0.1 should be the lowest it can possibly go

Also, a qestion to those more familiar with circuit networks:
I want to make a supply train that delivers walls/turrets/repair packs to different bases so they can rebuild automatically.
How do i make sure a wagon always carries all 3 items? I am worried one of the item types will eventually end up taking up all the space.

I finished the Chinook. Starting dump. What should i build next?

KA-52 with ejection mechanism

you can copy filters from inventory to carriages

Back

>What should i build next?
Caspian sea monster

will Dual Universe have any "engineering" or is it just voxels?

Here it is comared to the mi24
Ill try it, good idea.

Would you suggest the atmospheric drag mod? I'm using the wings mod at the moment to make some interesting planes.

>250 m/s speed limit
Even though you reach 720 in the webm?

Please please script these so that they handle semi-helicopter-like with nothing but upwards thrust.
Or at least let me do it for you.

>should be
Well i speak based on observed facts, not some bullshit they put in changelog and possibly changed. Perhaps it remembers the original value and ends at 10% of it? But that means i'd have at least a few 0.2 pumps which were 2.42 originally.

>Even though you reach 720 in the webm?
It's in km/h for wheeled "ships". Actually 250 m/s is 900 km/h so I guess vehicles are separate setting.

>imblying

Was that ever even used? Looks insane, might try it.
ill post it on the workshop later and post the links here

>Was that ever even used? Looks insane, might try it.
Yeah until they crashed it, its rusty hull is moored in Kaspiysk. NATO reporting name is Lun class ekranoplan I believe, but there were only 2 built. They still make ground effect vehicles similar to this but not on a huge cold war military scale obviously.

I also speak based on what I've seen
I have 8 pumps in the oil field at 0.1/sec and 1 of them was like that for the last 6 hours of gameplay at least, remove them and I can see the patch at 10%

so...what mods do i need for factorio?

Now that we can selectively lock rotors when we want, things seem surprisingly stable.
My Aspen transport with vertical thrust only was kind of slow and sluggish since it was basically a helicopter, so I figured I'd try the wing mod and make a F-35 kind of ship.

reminder all these games are bad machinecraft

Here's the same spot with the pump removed. I also went to my oldest base, most of the patches there are 5%