What's Veeky Forums's experience with these things...

what's Veeky Forums's experience with these things? i haven't seen one in the wild here in ontario and i'm curious if they're reliable or taken care of by the typical owner.

i mean hondas seem to be survivors but does the s2000 carry a distinct belt in that regard?

Other urls found in this thread:

s2ki.com/s2000/topic/893940-200000-mile-club/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lol, where in Ontario are you? I'm from Durham and I personally know 3 s2000 owners, and I see them around often... Just wait till the weather gets a bit nicer and you should see these fairly often.

Pro tip. They are smaller in person than you would expect...

>i'm curious if they're reliable
Despite the high-strung engine, they're pretty bulletproof:
s2ki.com/s2000/topic/893940-200000-mile-club/

>taken care of by the typical owner.
It's a mix now that AP1s have gotten cheap. Clean examples, especially those used as summer cars, can still be found easily enough and are usually meticulously cared for.

Owned an 2001 AP1 and loved driving it. Amazing handling, good looks, and sounds good for a 4-banger. I know the retainers on these like to crack, a simple fix is just to instal AP2 retainers and keepers. These cars are best left alone from the factory but can be upgraded with ease. The transmissions aren't that strong, nor are the rear ends when you apply boost to the mix. I boosted mine a year into owning it and it changed everything.

The summer cars also cost more

really? i thought these engines were capable of being boosted without much modification due to forged internals.

Back in my adolescent years when I was into JDM things, I love Spoon Honda's.

Now that I've gotten over most of that Import culture shit, I still love Spoon Honda's, especially the SW388 wheels. So simple and so sexy.

the engine, yes, the rest of the drivetrain, no.

They are, but AP1s have a weaker differential than AP2s that doesn't take the power as well.

Only early AP1s had the retainer issue (00-01)

can the AP2 differential and transmission synchros be swapped into the AP1?

It would probably be cheaper to swap to an AP2 trans entirely, which you can do. The gear ratios are a little different on the AP2 as well (2nd is shorter, would have to look up the rest).

The differential can be swapped over as well, but I don't think it's a simple bolt-on job. There might be a stronger aftermarket option instead.

I wouldn't worry about swapping either though, unless they break or you do a big turbo build.

who was that guy that put 700hp out with his s2ks stock engine via turbo?

I've heard of people beefing up the rear diff on the Ap1's through just a few part switches. Not sure how true that is though.

OP if you want one badly buy them now. They are going up in price every year. I paid $15,000 for my 03 with 40,000 miles on it.

Also the ap2's are generally more but the ap1's are more fun.
Ap1 is a better s2000
ap2 is a better car.

I cant im gonna he going to uni itd be after in done... Hold me senpai

A family friend has offered me his year 2000 AP1 for $9000.

It's completely stock, well maintained, and has about 140k miles on the odo. Overall It's in decent shape, the only problem is that it desperately needs a new top. If I do get it I'm tempted to just get a hard top

Should I do it?

SNAP OVERSTEER

yes

What are the best hard tops and about how much do they cost?

oem used is like 4k, aftermarket is a bitch to fit, but are around 2k with the hardware.

You can get a soft top for like $1000 unless it rains alot I would just get another soft top.

Would love to get one as a weekend car. My uncle has one and I often came along to S2k meets and cruises. From what I gathered, their setup is pretty good from the factory but cood coilovers and a good fine tuning makes a BIG difference!

If you're into durifto, that's one thing. My uncle managed to set the car up so it doesn't drift. It just corners like it's on tracks with insane speed! Of course you can provoke the rear to slide but as it is now, this thing is the best cornering car I've witnessed so far. One time some kid tried to follow him, thinking "oh yeah, I got the same car" and crashed into the curbs ...

Got to drive it from time to time and I just love it. The s2k is about perfect in regards to handling.

I have an AP2. It's a fun car, but awful as a DD. (Although it'd be a lot better if I lived somewhere with less traffic.)

>ontatio
>taken care of by the typical owner.

I'm sure Manjeet never bounced it off the rev limiter a million times...

are these things capable of acceleration

No. S2000s are actually permanently stationary, so you have to wait for the earth to rotate you where you're going.

Damn honda btfo..

try having an ap1 as a DD in hella traffic. Half the time I spend shifting from 3rd to 2nd.

>tfw you are never going to be able to afford the car you want because you don't have the money to buy it right now while it is still affordable
>tfw there will be no future cars you want because of google car fags, tesla car fags and bus riding millennials

FML

>angular velocity of earth is 1000mph
holy fuck these are fast

Yes that's a good price. Esp if it's clean title.

These cars are the shit, at like 6k vtec comes through and is like "I heard you wanna go faster" hahaha

One of the best FR's you can get

Get the AP2 for more torque and a stiffer and less oversteer-y suspension from factory.

setting rear camber to -2 degrees helps with the snap oversteer of the AP1. (or max it out for as much as the stock adjustment allows)

The retainers only crack when you mechanically over-rev (mis-shift).

By now, most AP1's suspension rubbers start to degrade, compromising that sweet sweet handling. Either find one where these are already replaced, or be prepared to change them out soon.

In Ontario, most are low-mileage summer-only cars. However they are at the age where things start to degrade simply due to age, especially if it was stored in an unheated garage through the winter.

Check the date on the tires. Even if there's tread, the tires may be due for replacement.

Check if/when the brakes were last replaced. If it's particularly low mileage, it may be on the original brakes but coming up for a replacement.

Check the condition of the plastic rear window.

And assume the battery is shit.

can't i just steal it and keep it hidden underground somewhere like a cemetery for when i need it?

i was told by people that the AP1s power steering is not that good is this true?

I think its 5.4 seconds to 100kmh? 95% faster than the cars you will see on the average daily roads.

Probably one of the most reliable motors, especially when you consider how high it revs and how powerfull it actually is. Thats quite an excellent work honda did

I heard they rev to 19,000 rpm.

I heard you have to get a special licence to own one... at the court house.

Co-worker has one, drives the absolute piss out of it. Raced a bunch on the highway, I'd think it's safe to say that it's hit or miss. Some people baby them, and others rag the fuck out of the thing.

Used to own a 2005 s2k, i miss that car. Very fun to drive especially with the top down, felt like a go kart. Very reliablenand easy to work on.

>wah wah I'm a woman my weak legs get tired from operating the clutch
Unless you're in bumper to bumper traffic every day it's really not that bad dude.

Legs don't get tired it's just annoying some times after work. I just wanna cruise all the way home with the top down.

In my city it's bumper to bumper from 5am to 8pm daily.