Why hasn't automation taken over yet?

Look at how fucking good this burger looks. It was made by a robot who does so in a fraction of the time of a human, with none of the complaints, none of the health insurance, none of the worrying about firing or training, none of that bullshit. Of course it costs a bit more at the start, but after a year or two it pays for itself.

Why are burger flippers still a thing? Why aren't these machines used all across the country?

Because I don't want chopped onions, which falls off the bun easily from the side. It's sliced or nothing.

When your robot breaks it takes weeks to fix it and costs thousands of dollars. When Rhonda breaks you can find a Jimmy to replace her in about 15 minutes with very little expense.

People like talking to other people. People don't like talking to robots.

People help prevent theft. Robots not so much.

People aren't usually very busy so it doesn't cost much to hire them. Robots only have one purpose and they still cost quite a bit.

Managers like having people around to stick their dicks into. Robots aren't as much fun for that.

Businesses need to be liked by their customers and the general public. Firing everyone and replacing them with robots doesn't achieve that goal as nicely as hiring people does.

Once everything is automated and nobody has a job, businesses will be taxed at 93.5% to pay for humanity to exist anyways, so they might as well get something out of the deal and employ people.

Robots aren't fun to look at. Sexy teenage cashiers and cooks are fun to look at.

Your mother is a robot.

t. cleverbot

Marxists refuse to accept the fact that automation i is massively over exaggerated and we're no where close to their government fantasy

Probably too expensive to buy the machine right now

I bet it evem gets my order right 1 out of 100 fucking times too. Fuck the mccucks. Im over it.

Because a machine costs hundreds of thousands, compared to a few teenagers.

Also, that's a terrible burger. Brioche bun, poppy seeds, too much salad.

minimum wage too low.

technology isnt quite there yet for some areas.

automation is already there for many areas.

As the technology matures, broken robots won't be "weeks lost and thousands of dollars to fix". It'll be a few hours and the expense of either your own technician or a contractor. Also, you're focusing a lot on the "human" factor. Pro tip: people don't even begin to give a fuck. They care about how much something costs, how long it takes to make, and how it tastes.

I can't wait for automated driving to essentially completely displace all cab drivers, uber/lyft drivers, and truckers. That's ~5 million jobs that will go away, forever. And that shit is already being developed, it's already like 80% of the way to market.

After that, I can't wait for fast food to be partially or completely automated. That's about another 3 million jobs that will just entirely disappear.

I hope Hillary gets elected. I hope it gets worse for the middle and lower classes. In fact, I know it will. And I can't wait to watch.

I agree. The automation of vehicles will help push automation into other industries much quicker.

>Once everything is automated and nobody has a job, businesses will be taxed at 93.5% to pay for humanity to exist anyways
It would serve them right for destroying one of the few ways young people can get started anymore.

>you're focusing a lot on the "human" factor. Pro tip: people don't even begin to give a fuck.
that explains why grocery stores don't have cashiers any more.

the first jobs they killed were assembly line manufacturing and mining. Two major careers for American workers.

>As the technology matures, broken robots won't be "weeks lost and thousands of dollars to fix". It'll be a few hours and the expense of either your own technician or a contractor.

We're not even in the existing stage yet. It needs to exist before it can even mature.

>the first jobs they killed were assembly line manufacturing and mining. Two major careers for American workers.

That was mostly to get rid of KGB-infiltrated unions.
The same happened here in britain; British Leyland went on strike, they went out of business, Toyota and Honda moved in, built plants down south where the market was, and installed huge robotic production lines.
I grew up with a mantelpiece made from part of the packing crate one of those came in. Allegedly, anyway.

Miners went on strike? Shut down and ditched in favour of north sea oil. Now mining has restarted, automated for safety and efficiency.

Port workers go on strike? Containers invented, ports centralised, and their entire fucking city goes broke. They're still tearing down slums in Liverpool.

Rail workers go on strike? Privatise the fucking lot of them.
Privatised rail workers go on strike? They're probably going to be replaced with self-driving trains. It's far easier than self-driving cars and trucks. After all, they don't have to steer, just stop for stations and red lights.

Automation kills marxists.

we cant even handle air conditioners being on for 10 people on the same block how are we gonna get machiens that make hamburgers

>I can't wait for automated driving to essentially completely displace all cab drivers, uber/lyft drivers, and truckers

Planes have been flying themselves for god knows how long, yet they still train new pilots to this day.

There isn't even a single automated truck on the road, not 1. then we will have a decade or two of a road network shared between truckers and automated trucks then a decade of fully automated trucks with a safety operator in there.

It will be 30 years minimum before truck drivers are removed from the road

>wanting robots to replace humans
Goaddamn you millenials are fucking stupid. Let me guess, you think basic income will become a thing. Fuck youre dumb.

Or you could choose to make your own food, save/invest money, and get served at a real restaraunt once in a while.

>but after a year or two it pays for itself.

Let's see your source there user.

I would rather all my takeout food be made by robots. Less chance of catching germs that way. As for all the lowly wagecucks, well...fuck em.

I welcome our robotic overlords as long as they can do the job better. If there are any humans who can't succeed at anything except working in the fast food industry, then they should be on permanent disability anyways.

if everyone is replaced by robots, what's the point of producing anything? Who's going to buy your products? With what money?
Why are automationfags so retarded?

>but after a year or two it pays for itself
hiring some pimply faced teenager pays off right away

>the point of life is to work, not to enjoy it and make robot do all the labor
>economic systems are literally immutable and cannot be changed to accomodate new economic realities like free goddam labor.

There is actually a fair amount of risk involved (in things not working perfectly, in having a consumer pushback, etc.). Things still work with human workers. Fast food restaurants still make a shitload of money. If you think it's so easy, you should jump on the opportunity yourself. If your costs are that much lower, you should come out on top.

Instead of paying $7.50 for some easily replaceable high school or college student to make a hamburger, you would have to pay somebody who is trained to operate and maintain these machines for twice as much.

When I was a Supervisor for a company that made vinyl siding, we had 13 extrusion lines and one was robotic. I asked the plant manager why don't we just automate all of the lines and he told me it costs more to hire ____ that runs and fixes the machine than it costs to hire 10 people to run 5 other lines.

That, and in some markets it just wouldn't work out. Like the tractor trailer business. 90% of the trucking industry is made up of owner operators and small businesses with 10 or less trucks. Why would somebody buy a much more expensive truck or a small company afford to buy a much more expensive truck, and have to pay their drivers for training on how to operate the truck. Also driving is not all that goes on in the trucking business and autonomous trucks only automate one task. How is the truck going to load freight, how is the truck going to do pre trip inspections? How is a truck going to find the correct entrance to a building and know what bay to back up in?

>People help prevent theft. Robots not so much.

Care to explain your logic, or do you want to just sit there and talk shit?

Been in culinary for 10 years, and if one of my cooks served a burger that looked like that they'd be fired within the week. Cooking is more than just having fresh ingredients nearby.

As Consumer i would totally eat that burger.

>Been in culinary for 10 years, and if one of my cooks served a burger that looked like that they'd be fired within the week. Cooking is more than just having fresh ingredients nearby.
Get a real job you over paid loser. You fancy cooks are a fucking joke, the food I make tastes better than the 3 michelin star food I had.

>automated trucks
No way

half your points are invalid simply because robot-made burgers would be priced cheaper than human-made ones.

How to survive this when it does happy.

Get tertiary education in:
CE
SoftE
EE
Mech/a/E
IT
IS
TelecomE

>>the point of life is to work
it is to a certain extent. Self-realization is very important to one's life, and without doing some kind of work it is not possible
>not to enjoy it and make robot do all the labor
it is not
>>economic systems are literally immutable and cannot be changed to accomodate new economic realities like free goddam labor.
So how would your economic system work, exactly? You don't know because it can't work you fucking robot-cuck

>free labour
are you fucking retarded?

This thread is just full of dogshit level intellects.

The fact is that automation is happening, it's just that the technology required to automate manual tasks like cooking is still in its infancy.

If anybody bothered to look up that robot, they'd see that on average, this machine can replace two to three human line cooks which saves up to $90,000 a year in training, salaries and overhead costs.

This is actually happening, it just takes a while to come in.

t.complete retard

>People like talking to other people.
Wrong.

Make my burger and shut your fucking cunt mouth. Non of your business how my day is going.

>what is self checkout
Nevermind that a business like Amazon thrives and there's zero human interaction and that's ironically one of the things I like about it.

Fast food employees aren't even generally fun to interact with because they're poorly paid kids who hate their lives there. Them niggas not making my day more pleasant. Unless is that good Chick Fil A.

(I guess if McDolans had the supercordial whitebread employee schtick I'd eat there more often though but when I think about it that's everywhere.)

You think the robot can't slice onions?

People still pick and pack and deliver your package. If anything there's more people involved than checking out at a grocery store.

You think like my 54 years old brother in law.
HINT: redneck

>we cant even handle air conditioners being on for 10 people on the same block
What?

>It will be 30 years minimum before truck drivers are removed from the road
user I'm willing to bet that we'll have a significant (1 million+) number of transportation workers displaced within 10 years. Only time will tell, but remember this post in 2026 when the transition is underway.

Yes way

This is the impression I get from most (not all) >automation is never going to happen
types.

Yeah, try getting that grimy Burger King, or "Big Joe's Burgers," in boo-foo Indiana to cough up the cash for one of them fancy machines.

Could the machine also feasibly wash dishes and prep dog food meat? Doubt it.

>fraction of the time
You can't cook a burger faster no matter who is cooking it lmao

source: actually work in a restaurant

anyone who works with a coffee machine and/or grinder knows how much they fuck up, and it;s just a machine that spits of hot fucking water.

You can still work if you want. I'd expect most not to work though. You'd have to be a literal cuck to prefer doing menial labor that a robot could do for you.

A shift to a post-scarcity economy would require some redistribution, probably in the form of guaranteed income. You imply nothing exist because you haven't even researched the idea for more than 2 seconds.