/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

You Are My Greatest Treasure, Edition.

>Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud:soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

>Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

godotengine.org/article/godot-21-rc1-out
youtu.be/TExnDNMxnrg?t=1m48s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Try posting progress this time.

>Pre determined cuts.
That is fucked and ruins immersion, make it procedural.

frist

Yes, have an "apply damage" method. The entity can internally work out damage reduction through defense or whatever.

The entity doesn't even need to have a health field, it could simply be 1HKO or immune.

not a problem at all
actually, that's even better
the destroyed parts of the ship could really use some exposed superstructure struts and piping and stuff

Is there an easy way to do that? Also, how much cpu would it take? This game is already hogging cpu time as it is.

MAKE AGDG LESS SHIT

POST PROGRESS, QUESTIONS OR HELP

OR DO NOT POST AT ALL

k

Unity C#

my progress is all level code. it doesn't make for interesting pictures.

>cucks continue to use Unity instead of the glorious Godot
godotengine.org/article/godot-21-rc1-out

Id make the graphics on the gpu, so the only cpu shit is accurate collision detection. (should already have)
and saving chunks are taken out of. (which impacts collision detection)
And then you just break when appropriate

So why aren't you making a Sonic clone?

You'd have an alpha mask (or two) for each fragment shape (and exposed guts like points out, so you'd also have a "guts" sprite for each ship) and simply draw multiple copies of the full sprite using different masks.

What about damage over time? I have a laser weapon on everything that is hitscan and should do damage over time as long as it's hit. Would it be better to do 1 or 2 damage every time it checks or activate a DamageOverTime(){} method?

>putting a dumb political joke in a game engine
Fucking autists.

If you'd would like to draw some ships, PM me your email on zillo7.itch.io/tier-1 or tumblr.com/blog/z7tier1

Reposting from previous thread

"Damage over time" makes me think of lingering damage. You'd just use the same method with less damage in your case.

Thanks for reminding me to filter the word "cuck". clearly no one who uses it will ever have a finished game ;^ )

Why do people keep making a big deal about the frames of this animation? I've seen people say it looks better or looks worse, and people making lower frame edits and shit.

C O M F Y
O
M
F
Y

Ok thanks

I'm so fucking glad I don't use that engine now

What's fullspeed?

>RC1
funny thing is this candidate probably wont be the final release, there will be bugs found and fixed.

Because there are games I like more than Sonic

How do I make a Kojima and Suda-esque artgame without coming off as pretentious?

youtu.be/TExnDNMxnrg?t=1m48s

Pretty cool tbqh, hating on SEGA is the cool thing to do so people will always try to find something stupid to complain about.

You need to become autistic cunt first.

>PM me your email on zillo7.itch.io/tier-1
well I'm logged in and looking at your profile, but I have no clue how to do that

literally too fast

Was wondering if there's a guide to painting bump maps anywhere. I know how to sculpt and bake bump maps, but I was wondering if there's an actual way to paint them. I can only edit bump maps with paint tools after I've baked a bump map out.

That dropdash looks sweet I should steal it

Network and clients recognize all 6 players and all animations except I got a few bugs to work out. Lameeee.5 1/2 weeks until demo day.

don't have autism

Yes totally comfy.

I can't find the option either; I figured that there would be one. Try using tumbler.
Also, pic related.

get out

Trying to write a unity script for getting knocked back in c#.

Is there a way get the position of the object the player collides into, so that I can compare it to the player's position to see which direction the player will get knocked into?

>Making a really promising engine
>Afraid it will attract the same autistic and retarded userbase as unity
>Puts in political joke to rustle all the script kiddies and hipsters
>Works like a charm

Holy fuck Godot's team are fucking geniuses.

Can i have a million dollar idea pls, so i dont have to keep being a neet.
something thats not too hard or wont take to long too make

make a gun and shoot yourself

a game where furries control gravity

>having less people using an engine is a good thing
bravo

Is there a comparison article somewhere about the pros/cons of all the engines?

You are a gun that carries a bullet that shoots people.

You can probably do OnCollisionEnter + return the position of the object. I feel like you could do this with physics, though.

help me

Good for 2D:
GameMaker

Good for 3D:
UE4

Bad for everything:
The rest

Amen.

>Having 1 proper dev for every 5 script kiddies in a pool of a hundred is better than having 2 proper devs for every 1 script kiddie in a pool of 30

Yeah its way way better since the community will be better, and the devs actually working on proper projects will easier find better resources and have a better time getting help, making the engine more successful not only in profit but also in quality of content made in it.

Love how I have to explain such basic stuff for you, dear rustled unity user, please don't feel bad for using a babbys first engine, everyone has to start somewhere!

i'm sorry

I don't even use Unity but it's retarded to think that it will be easier to find resources with less people using the engine, it makes absolutely no fucking sense.

>a babbys first engine,
>he says not engine-deving
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

>GameMaker

>This is what unreal devs believe

>can use c++ at a low-high level
UE4 > Unity

Too bad most UE4 devs, atleast here refuse to use the more sane approach.

Sorry for what?

It makes perfect sense, look at Zbrush resources and Blender (I use and love both).

Zbrush is used by less people, but a higher ratio of proffesionals use it compared to blender:
Zbrush has a shitton of easy to find tutorials on how to do everything from the most basic shit to the most complicated weird shit you could imagine.
Blender has no good official tutorials whatsoever, try googling on how to do rotational symmetry, oh can't find it? Oh that's right all tutorials are how to do minecraft videos and only the most basic shit since 95% users are new and will only use it for 3-4 weeks before getting bored.

Its that easy, its like you can't even think for yourselves.

let's skip me signing up on tumblr
here's an alt just for you
[email protected]
Just send me the ships and I will send the first one I'm done with right back to you, so you can try it out ingame

*uses black crystal*

>Zbrush and Blender are comparable

You don't know anything about anything.

welcome to: the point of release candidates

You can make it in unity too.

Now transition between attacks can be interrupted, so theres no delay between animations.

You forgot to explain how a larger amount of "bad" users will somehow impede the good users from making tutorials and resources.
There's absolutely no reason why someone would feel less compelled to write a tutorial in an engine with more newbie users, the opposite would be actually more accurate since elitism creates circlejerking which means less resources.

You make several nonsensical leaps in logic and I'm replying to a troll.

noob to pro is still the go to resource

Godot?

>Lays out argument talking about how the userbase of a software affects how easy it is to find resources
>HURR NAH YOU CAN*T COMPARE THOSE, I WONT SAY WHY BUT I MUST BE RIGHT

Compare tutorials for LaTeX and Word.
Compare GameMaker to LWGL.

There are tons of examples mate.

Okay user, we get it, you're mad because you think I hit the nail on the head. If you want to argue like an adult please come back once your tantrum is over okay?

You are even contradicting yourself now.
More NEWBIE users will only make people more likely to make tutorials AIMED at newbies. If i'm wrong can you find a comparison where this isn't true or are you just spewing smoke because you're mad?

unity exports to html5, webplayer is deprecated

literally the first google of your "impossible to find" example lists a solution on Blender's forums.

Kill yourself.

Shitters muddy the waters, but that's with anything. Go wank to zbrush in /3/.

>Arguing in /agdg/

>sonic
>too fast

>not arguing on /agdg/
kill yourself

You can easily look at any engine and see that more users = more resources, no matter the perceived "quality" of the users.
The burden of proof is on you, I can tell you that it's much easier to find resources on more popular engines but you will keep talking in subjective and unfalsifiable terms like "quality".
It's also funny how you think that people who like to mix politics with game making will somehow be more experienced users.

Copy and paste the solution then.
Oh wait you mean that thread where they all say they don't know how?
Oh my sweet summer child, I only joked about you being retarded, I didn't know it was true, i'm so so sorry but why in the name of god does your handler let you online?

Sorry I triggered you mate, I gave an example to prove my point but if you can't read I can't be bothered to help. If you have no retort just be quiet okay, you're anonymous here so nobody will know you where this retarded okay?

King's Field clone dev here

Implemented basics for equipment and made quickslots with that.

>do my googling for me
"no"

What's the best way to do local version control?
My upload speed is terrible so uploading my entire project online, with source and assets, would take several hours.
Should I just get a Raspberry Pi and install git?

>Oh shit he spotted m lie
>Better do one of those hilarious one word replies with a strawman.

Why do you guys get so salty when proven wrong? I seriously don't get it.

don't upload your fucking assets then

mercurial has local repos I think

>that pic

Holy shit, I want to smash that barrel into her parent's teeth.

>local version control?
save and zip your project folder up to a flash drive.
How I've been doing it because I don't see git as necessary.

why does this new sonic mania game looks like it was made in unity, it has rixels, how could they?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't really think that's a real gun

s-so can the guy who made space jam extend the jam by a week?
haha n-not that I need an extra week, I certainly didn't overscope my idea and am now scrambling to make something resembling a game.

>that hair
>yuri
????

I just got a laptop so I'd link to be able to sync everything from my desktop and do gamedev at work during lunch and stuff.
There's no internet at work so I'd have to bring my laptop home to sync anyway.
Might as well be a local server.

literally no one cares
just submit your demo as is.
No ones game is going to much better or complete, that's the point.

I could use an extra week

>some tard ruined this image with useless text

>it's an 'AGDG dumps helpful reference images' episode

Just submit it to Demo Day 10 if you absolutely can't make anything playable by the Space Jam deadline.

is that a moba user?

I don't see how you're going to accomplish that one way or the other without uploading stuff

just sync the source and host the specific asset you're working on somewhere else