CPA designation

I have a STEM degree, and I realize now I should have went into finance because STEM is a fucking meme. I was thinking about working toward my CPA designation.

Based on government websites, the outlook for CPA's (Chartered Professional Accountants) seems good/positive.

What does Veeky Forums think? Is this a good career to get into? What about 4 years from now?

which STEM degree did you get?

CPA is god tier, you can become COO, CFO, CEO, CIO, anything.

It takes a lot of work though.

Well worth it, easily six figures, quarter millions, as long as you can network and aren't a dimwit.

Biochemistry

I basically fell for a lot of left-over hype from 2000-2010. I started my degree when Biochem was beginning to peter out. I've been out of school for 2 years now, and can't even get entry level jobs.
Well that seems good.

I have a CPA and I make $120k in ERP software. 27yo

I have half my CPA done and I'm unemployed.
Beat that!

Just for the record Finance is usually taken with a CFP - for financial planning or a CFA for investment banking/financial management

I would think you'd just get an Accounting degree?

The average salary for a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is $60,978 per year. According to Google. Don't be a total noob, learn to program.

Making over 100k a year at 23 now programming in Kansas.

93,350 USD is average salary for software developer in 2012 according to Google.

3rd year student, going for my CPA designation.

The one thing no one tells you is just how fucking competitive getting a firm to hire you for your CPA PEP is. If you are serious about going the CPA route then you need to go to every single networking event firms offer, and find a way to make yourself stand out over the 1000's also trying to get a position. I just went to the fall recruit to try and get an intern position at a firm and am praying that I just get a chance to get to the interview phase.

Yeah, programming is another option for sure. How does one get into that? Code Academy seems like a meme

Try to learn the basics on your own and then get an internship at a cash strapped startup. There is a good chance they will take you on if you seem like a quick learner.

I taught one of my old bosses sons how to go from basic linux skills to professional java programmer in 6 months but he caught on fast and had his brother to help him a bit (his brother is a developer).

He was a biochem major.

Code academies are memes but some actually place you with companies after completion. A guy I used to work with did hackreactor program for 6 months at about $2k total cost I believe

I already work for a small accounting firm. Basically just data entry, doing personal and corporate tax returns, etc.

Would that not count toward experience for the CPA PEP?

>option
Any experience you have before 120 credit don't count. A CPA needs to sign off on experience and they won't do it unless you were working under them

Im currently going for Mechanical Engineering and thinking about economics or finance.

I dont want a job that'll give me a heart attack from stress or make me lose my hair faster.

But i want to make equal to or more than Stemfags. Ive thought about analyst jobs or investment banking. Anything you guys can recommend?

I really don't want a 9-5 job all my life.

Have a CPA, no one gives a shit. In Chicago btw. It's an overhyped piece of ass wiping material, it's the new bachelors of accounting

CPAs make on average about $60k/year.

What you really get is job security and a steady salary. Accountants will always be necessary.

that doesnt seem bad.

Don't most CPAs work for themselves?

>studying for CPA
>not CFA
O I'm laffin

>Ive thought about analyst jobs or investment banking
Holy fuck

Why does every fucking retard think they can get in to IB

Fuck off. You won't get in to IB. And if you do, in the one in a million chance, you will have to work 80 hours a week on your good weeks and you will have a mental breakdown.

>Muh salary

You forgot the part about accounting being unbelievably boring AS FUCK. I dropped out after two years and now work minimum wage. I'm no longer suicidal and I am much happier in general.

Some people might genuinely enjoy accounting, but they are definitely not the majority.

Learn from my mistake.
Advising people to get into accounting because of muh salary or muh job stability is asinine. Following such advice is even worse...