/evn/ - English Visual Novels

No excuse for dead at 152 edition.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/ryunocore/gemstone-morning-piano-jam
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We're about to start a new week. Do you have any progress goals?

I'm gonna hit 200,000 words

Congrats user. Is your script almost complete?

No_

Hmm finish UI for that Russian-loli eating game and then some.

Do you eat them? Or do they eat?

Probably the dragons would.

stupid thought that may already have been done - story focused around four characters, you choose one to play at the start, and the actions of the other three are based on the most recent playthrough you made controlling that character. so the whole game is a puzzle, where you have to work out how to set up all the characters to work together through different playthroughs.

sounds like I/O which is a fucking mess

I wake up and the thread's dead. Don't do that to me, senpaitachi. Let's keep /evn/ alive!

Already hit mine.

How dare you sleep while /evn/ is on it's deathbed

In order for multiple playthroughs to function together as a puzzle, the routes would have to be fairly short. I/O went on for ages, I never finished it, can't even remember how many parts I got through anymore.

You're also inherently making it so that there's going to be a lot of repetition by the player unless it's a linear sort of puzzle, which defeats the purpose

It sounds cool but you're probably better off just having dialogue change instead of requiring it to finish the game

Might be more fun to do as a yaoi/yuri jam game with just two characters, who the player is trying to get together. Each time you play you switch protagonists and inch the timeline a little bit closer to makeouts.

I love it. That's some fabric-y fabric.

not on my watch!!!

Twice in a few hours would be really lame. Pity bump.

Should I make a new thread for a new demo version or just bump the new one?

Depends on how old it is

I'm gonna have fun.

Demo thread is 2 years old.
WIP thread is 4 years old.

Is that a realistic goal, user?

Yes. I used to have fun writing when I first started. I'm going to do that again.

That's what I have been trying. It has been mildly successful so far.

How long did it take you to reach this point? Anyway, grats man!

For the Amaretatsu translation of Cross Channel, does it cover the FInal Complete version, or is it the "plain" version?

Dunno. Ask /vn/ for Japanese VNs translated into English. This general is for "Western" VNs.

Okay. Sorry about the confusion.

Tell them I say hi.

I want to arm wrestle the bottom girl.

How to eat bread?

Soak it in pussy juices

That sounds like a good idea for a lesbian eroge. You know, soaking bread slices in pussy juice while you work a late night shift with your lover in a soup kitchen.

art comes at a snail pace

Well it isn't mechanized so...

>tfw writing comes at a snail pace
>tfw art assets fly in every 2-3 days

threadly reminder that to make sure something is done right, you have to do it yourself

Tell me what your longest scene is about. You can be vague.

Protagonist looking for her best friend after a fall out.

explaining the utility of quantum entanglement in basic terms

The stockmarket and why hobby trade is a good investment.

I'm going to create my skeleton for the VN and get the remaining fifteen scenes drafted/outlined in greater detail. I hope that by next week I'll be at the point where I'm doing my script properly in RenPy instead of my narrowing down phase.
Once I get the skeleton done, it'll feel like I've hit the halfway point of my writing. It's a really good milestone that I'm aiming for.
I felt like shit because I went five days without touching my project due to various reasons but I'm back on the wagon now.

It's a different Genre but you should play and then research the development of Maniac Mansion for a great way to have multiple characters with unique gameplay roles in an interactive story.
In particular, the short playtime of a succesful run in comparison to the large amounts of time feeling your way through the mansion with the different characters and working out how they fit into the overall progression.

Trying to figure out backgrounds, I keep putting the vanishing points too close together and most of the detail where the sprites will cover them.

Are you using ansibles for superluminal communication?

I'm tired but I must continue.

Congrats Germany.

BTW, refugee VN when?

Suicide bomber from last night or did I miss something?

Suicide bomber and that machete attack on a pregnant woman.

Religion was a mistake

Keep going, you can do it!

abunai

More work on this BG. I cannot wait until this is done. Still need to fix the roadside and paint behind the other trees and various other crap. And... model the rest of the bike T_T Nearly a week overdue

Welp

soundcloud.com/ryunocore/gemstone-morning-piano-jam
Did some progress this morning.

can't unsee her hand being a stump in the new version

Oh. Hmmm

Yeah the fingers need to be visible.
The thinner lines and new hair look better though.

I like the lighting! Is it for a 2d game? It seems a shame not to be able to walk around it in 3D.

Thanks! Yep, it's for the VN Ladykiller in a Bind. So you won't be able to walk around in 3D but the bike will reappear in another scene, so at least it's getting a lot of use haha.

Does the shooting in England count as anti-capitalist terrorism?

The pool party shooting?

>Suicide bomber and that machete attack on a pregnant woman.

I thought Danny Trejo was up to no good

The protagonist and his childhood friend getting embarrassed discussing toilet-clogging bowel movements and the MC realizing only a black man will ever be able to truly satisfy her.

> I like to post in threads without reading the OPs

come back when your carer is helping you internet

i read that as career at first

Death to conspicuous consumption scum

>I like to respond to hours old posts to show how smug and cool I am

Finalized the main cast. Still gonna have to add stuffs later. But at least I can line them up now.

right-most sleepyhead is so goddamn fuckable. looking good user.

what's the solution to dying?

Fucking

Fuck me, plz?

>$ exp += (enemy_level/level)*100
what could possibly go wrong, eh

Why don't you just, like, not die when you are killed?

Shirou needs to talk with you.

T-thanks sempai.

>it doesn't work past level 3
fug

>making a WIP thread when the game isn't even close to release
It's like you want everyone to stop caring and forget about it by the time you finish

be fair
no one cared anyway

Does everyone care how old a thread is? I'll play a game that was started in the 90's, if it looks interesting.

bah, what is integer division

It's just better to start advertising somewhat close to when you release your game, unless it's really cool and you have constant updates, because people are ADHD and have lost all their hype by the time you actually finish.

A division of integers, of course.

it's more of a cunning trap to baffle people who are retarded at math like me

So... are your heroines/heros virgins? Why? Why not?

virgins
>Why? Why not?
girls who are impure are not fit to be heroines

All my characters are pure and do not know about filthy things like that.

Yes.
Because they're 12.

So /evn/, would you rather play a vn about someone who is constantly committing suicide or constantly getting themself killed accidentally?

A couple are, but most of the crew have some sort of sexual experience. As for why, because they aren't 12.

neither

Good, good. Against all odds, /evn/ answers please me in every aspect.

Pick one please.

Except for you. You keep trying to bruteforce real life in self-indulging fantasies. I'm very disappointed on you, user!

too weird and vague a question
like, intentionally killing yourself because you really want to die and it keeps not working, or because you live in a setting where you already know death doesn't count? like, if you're living in some kind of MMORPG and you kill yourself just for faster travel back to your home base, or in some scifi where you kill yourself to get a fresh body...

Like lots of bad ending, but either the bad endings are because the character is suicidal or because they are just too retarded to live.

isn't having sex at age 12 more of a self-indulgent fantasy?